• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Best Off-Road 4x4

In Australia the only choice for me would be LandCruiser 70 Series double cab with tray and canopy. Probably pretty spendy but they make me drool. Check out Shannon’s Engineering and Outback Customs on Instagram.

Ranger Raptor would be worth a look, but regular Ranger with diesel may be a good option.

I’m pretty damn happy with my ‘18 Raptor. The first 1500 miles I put on it were dirt roads and elk hunting. The first scratch is the worst scratch, the rest don’t matter. It’s been a joy to drive in the mountains, snow, and sand in Pismo a few weeks ago. I put an ARE topper on it for winter for dry and secure ski storage. The topper made me scared to jump it though, didn’t want to buy a new rear window

I own a couple Superduty Powerstrokes, a ‘78 F-250, and a FJ40. Raptor is the most fun and pretty capable in all situations I’ve put it in. I like the 3.5 EB, but I guess it’s not cool enough for most people so Ford is putting the new 7.3 V8 in the new ones. When that happens I bet there will be some good deals on very capable used 3.5s here

Raptor conversation has zero bearing on Australian vehicle choices but I thought I would offer my 2cents

Reactions: Simia Dei
In Australia the only choice for me would be LandCruiser 70 Series double cab with tray and canopy. Probably pretty spendy but they make me drool. Check out Shannon’s Engineering and Outback Customs on Instagram.

Ranger Raptor would be worth a look, but regular Ranger with diesel may be a good option.

I’m pretty damn happy with my ‘18 Raptor. The first 1500 miles I put on it were dirt roads and elk hunting. The first scratch is the worst scratch, the rest don’t matter. It’s been a joy to drive in the mountains, snow, and sand in Pismo a few weeks ago. I put an ARE topper on it for winter for dry and secure ski storage. The topper made me scared to jump it though, didn’t want to buy a new rear window

I own a couple Superduty Powerstrokes, a ‘78 F-250, and a FJ40. Raptor is the most fun and pretty capable in all situations I’ve put it in. I like the 3.5 EB, but I guess it’s not cool enough for most people so Ford is putting the new 7.3 V8 in the new ones. When that happens I bet there will be some good deals on very capable used 3.5s here

Raptor conversation has zero bearing on Australian vehicle choices but I thought I would offer my 2cents
Raptor will be available with the supercharged GT500 engine in the very near future here in the states.....that will be the cats pajamas. But no, none of it has any bearing on Australian vehicles.

Raptor will be available with the supercharged GT500 engine in the very near future here in the states.....that will be the cats pajamas. But no, none of it has any bearing on Australian vehicles.

Rumored to be available with that motor. I’m not sure it will happen but it would be nuts!

I’m pretty happy with 450hp and 600+ mile range on a tank of gas. The mileage trade-off for 700hp would be a negative for me. I must be getting old

Reactions: AMGtuned
Rumored to be available with that motor. I’m not sure it will happen but it would be nuts!

I’m pretty happy with 450hp and 600+ mile range on a tank of gas. The mileage trade-off for 700hp would be a negative for me. I must be getting old
Look in to N-Guage w 5-star custom tunes, im running just about 550hp 610 ft lbs torque w 5-star 93 octane performance tune on my 19 Raptor.

Just after recommendations for the best off-road 4x4.

It will be used for off-road LRS, hunting and fishing in some rough Australian conditions, including the outback & coastal beaches.

After something reliable & durable enough so I don't get stuck out in the Nullabor. Currently considering the Toyota Landcruiser or Hilux, but open to other options. More inclined to cab chasis or ute so I have the room to store the firearms etc.
Nothing beats a Landcruiser for rough outback work , the numbers already being used far outweigh anything else which says it all.

Reactions: RPN and ZG47A
I’m with your initial thoughts - Landcruiser or Hilux. Depending on availability and budget.

+1 on the Toyota pick-up just for the reliability. Have had ford, Chevy, dodge and I’m going Toyota next.

Look in to N-Guage w 5-star custom tunes, im running just about 550hp 610 ft lbs torque w 5-star 93 octane performance tune on my 19 Raptor.

That’s a pretty healthy gain! Turbo engines are fun to play with, how much boost?

n-guage says 20.8 the highest i have seen.

The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is available here, but are they as reliable as a Toyota Landcruiser or Hilux?
I have used Jeeps for serious off-roading for decades. My current Jeep is a 4 door JL Rubicon. The Rubicon is surprisingly capable, but way too much technology and bull shit gizmos. I have had my Jeep back to the dealer for issues with the electronic power steering, auto set parking brake, and auto start/stop within the first 6,000 miles. On the flip side, I have had zero issues with my 10 year old Tundra with the exception of worn out low tire pressure indicator units. Go figure.

As mentioned, the Raptor is more of a dirt/desert racer. The best serious off-road full size pick-up is without a doubt the Dodge Power Wagon, but it' a Dodge,;)

Are you buying a new vehicle? If so buy a new Yota than build it up for Overland. Buy a base Tacoma 4x4 send it to ARB. Camburg Long travel, 35s, gears, snorkel, Bud Built skids, front rear lockers, front bumper and winch. Call it a day...,

Thanks. I'll be buying used, but still expect to drop over 35k.

Recently I came across a Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution and read about the pedigree these things had in Dakkar.

I was just wondering how would a Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution go off road in comparison to a Toyota Landcruiser 200 series?
Mitsubishi_pajero-evolution_I.jpg

20200919_092506.jpg
Do you guys have the Chevy Colorado Zr2? I have the Bison package and love it. Steel skid plates front to rear. Front and rear lockers. Steel bumpers and rock sliders. Aready set up for a winch. All from the factory. Choice of gas or diesel.

Last edited:
20200607_154247.jpg
20200424_155208.jpg

If you don't worry bout silly things like paint....a moderate built 1 ton is quite capable. Small lift, factory locker, frame mounted sliders/running boards and a 15,000 lb winch mounted under the flatbed.

Reactions: AMGtuned
My 3 picks in one picture 4Runner TRD Pro (mine)Tacoma Off Road (daughter’s)and FJ Cruiser Trail Teams (friend’s). Ive been to Moab, Utah three years in a row. Never seen one raptor on anything but the basic trails. They are too wide to get through some obstacles. My personal comfort level with a turbo (much less two of them) off-road is not high. The Toyota’s are bulletproof. Jeep Wranglers are better at the hardcore stuff but no where near the comfort and convenience level of any of these IMO.

Attachments

• 0D75BDF8-DFF8-419D-B9B5-795A8ECA3B42.jpeg
    0D75BDF8-DFF8-419D-B9B5-795A8ECA3B42.jpeg
    426.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 9194DF7A-9547-4196-8EF6-79D1F7D9A463.jpeg
    9194DF7A-9547-4196-8EF6-79D1F7D9A463.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 83
my favorite unstoppable vehicle that can take me anywhere was always and will always be
1613953346516.png

just need someone to pull you over hill or dale they can even be a race car down a hill or while floating as a plane up in the clouds on a bombing run oh sweet dreams there was nothing it could not do at least till the wheels fell off and the bottom rusted through lol . it also was my first attempt at a motorized vehicle and while it drove like hell it was wonderful

my favorite unstoppable vehicle that can take me anywhere was always and will always be
View attachment 7563320
just need someone to pull you over hill or dale they can even be a race car down a hill or while floating as a plane up in the clouds on a bombing run oh sweet dreams there was nothing it could not do at least till the wheels fell off and the bottom rusted through lol . it also was my first attempt at a motorized vehicle and while it drove like hell it was wonderful
20210221_184559.jpg

I wasn't always a Toyota fan but I can honestly say that after what I have seen the Saudi's put them through, you can't kill them. I have had all of the American trucks and all have their achilles. The Toyotas are way more reliable and capable. If we are talking US versions.... Landcruiser, 4runner, and FJ cruiser. If overseas.... Land cruiser, Hilux, and FJ. If you have instagram, go check out Toyotas of war....

Reactions: OG10
I wasn't always a Toyota fan but I can honestly say that after what I have seen the Saudi's put them through, you can't kill them. I have had all of the American trucks and all have their achilles. The Toyotas are way more reliable and capable. If we are talking US versions.... Landcruiser, 4runner, and FJ cruiser. If overseas.... Land cruiser, Hilux, and FJ. If you have instagram, go check out Toyotas of war....
A real Toyota, or as real as one gets, would have a 22r and a straight X in the front. A PROPER one, would have coil spring conversions 😉🙂👍

Reactions: Krazy_jim
View attachment 7562793Do you guys have the Chevy Colorado Zr2? I have the Bison package and love it. Steel skid plates front to rear. Front and rear lockers. Steel bumpers and rock sliders. Aready set up for a winch. All from the factory. Choice of gas or diesel.
IMG_20171103_152617 (2).jpg

2nd the Chevy ZR2. Love mine and it's the most comfortable 4x4 I've ever owned. I will admit, I use to be a Jeep guy, but they got too hard for me to get in and out of, especially, 3-4"'s of lift w/ 33-35" tires. This p/u just works for me and the fuel mpg is pretty good to (24-25 in winter/27-28 in summer-diesel). If they can get it in Australia, I think it would give Toyota, a run for the money. Mac

Reactions: gunjunkie45
1997 GMC Extended Cab with 5.3L Vortex V8.

I put 285k on that son of a bitch and they were hard miles. Call me old fashioned, but I never got the whole Tacoma, Jeep, Landcruiser thing. I like to throw shit in the back of a truck and for things to happen when you put your foot to the floorboards. My buddy has a Tacoma and I feel like I am driving a toy when I have driven it. Oh yeah, the Ford Raptor is pretty stellar too if you don't mind beating the shit out of a 50-70k pickup truck.

Im not sure I would go for the Raptor for the money they cost. A good friend of mine just ripped his front differential housing out from under his 2021 Raptor. It broke the mounting points clean off! The truck had like 7,000 miles on it... 🤢

1997 GMC Extended Cab with 5.3L Vortex V8.

I put 285k on that son of a bitch and they were hard miles. Call me old fashioned, but I never got the whole Tacoma, Jeep, Landcruiser thing. I like to throw shit in the back of a truck and for things to happen when you put your foot to the floorboards. My buddy has a Tacoma and I feel like I am driving a toy when I have driven it. Oh yeah, the Ford Raptor is pretty stellar too if you don't mind beating the shit out of a 50-70k pickup truck.
My 98 (the truck i miss the most) reg cab, shorty; had a 5.7l VORTEC with a Magnacharger roots blower. It was super fun, tons of bag for highway play. Always liked that 5.7, still do. Did you perform a swap to get the 5.3 in a 97? Probably save a little weight in doing so? The 5.3 spins up quick, I like that.

For the record, I own 2 TT Fords now......

Reactions: shields shtr
Exactly! I would get a diesel Hilux for sure if it were me (but I am a diesel mechanic), put a small lift on it to get some bigger rubber under it for ground clearance and definitely ARB lockers front and rear (and get the big compressor option) with a good Warren wench. I find that as long as I am not out looking for trouble in my Jeep lockers prevent me ever using a wench. But if your an idiot even a wench is not going to save you... As said earlier having air on board is SOOO nice if you need it.
I have a Warn winch on the front of my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. The wench gets the passenger seat.

Reactions: jbell
Yes you are correct, that was me defaulting to the 50 yard MOA and mixing it with the 50 meter 0.524 at 50 yard and 0.573 at 50 meters. I am using 0.573" at 50 meters. I'll correct my post. Thank you

I have a Warn winch on the front of my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. The wench gets the passenger seat.
Words are hard...

If I were in AUS I would unquestionably have a 70 series Land cruiser ...whatever you get make sure it has a rear locker and good tires

tWhatever your version of the Toyota Tacoma OffRoad or 4Runner OffRoad. Reliable and both have rear lockers from the factory. I have a TRD Sport because they didn't offer a long bed in the OffRoad at the time. I just added an ARB air locker and compressor. The compressor is a handy tool. Especially since I run air bags in the rear. A set of Matrax and a winch can be handy. Good luck.

Mine:
Moab
View attachment 7077935

View attachment 7077936

View attachment 7077937

View attachment 7077938

View attachment 7077939

View attachment 7077940

View attachment 7077941

View attachment 7077942

View attachment 7077943

View attachment 7077944
You took that up Escalator?

Impressive.

You didn't actually get it down in Mic's HotTub did you?

Moab is just awesome, got married on top of Lion's Back in my '84 4-runner.

Had to drive it in 4x3 after popping an axle in the "taint" hot tub, had to make sunset for the wedding.

+1 for Toyota

Attachments

• Best group photo.jpg
    Best group photo.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • P1010027.JPG
    P1010027.JPG
    683.7 KB · Views: 52
  • rocker knocker 01.jpg
    rocker knocker 01.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 45
  • rocker knocker 02.jpg
    rocker knocker 02.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 46
  • rocker knocker 03.jpg
    rocker knocker 03.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 36
  • rocker knocker 04.jpg
    rocker knocker 04.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 44
  • P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    678.2 KB · Views: 51
  • P1010057.JPG
    P1010057.JPG
    717.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hi,

View attachment 7078218

Edited To Add:
The HILUX diesel is the vehicle version of the AK47...just as I wish I could import a few containers of AKs from my Russian friends...I wish even more that I could import a few containers full of HILUX diesels.

Sincerely,
Theis
All the cool kids are using Cummins these days to diesel up their Toyotas.

OP
Check out ih8mud ;)

forum.ih8mud.com

You could post a WTB in OZ?
That's the "guys in the know" for Toyotas, best 4x4 in the world imho.

Last edited:
All the cool kids are using Cummins these days to diesel up their Toyotas.

OP
Check out ih8mud ;)

forum.ih8mud.com

You could post a WTB in OZ?
That's the "guys in the know" for Toyotas, best 4x4 in the world imho.

This could be a problem, thanks...

You took that up Escalator?

Impressive.

You didn't actually get it down in Mic's HotTub did you?

Moab is just awesome, got married on top of Lion's Back in my '84 4-runner.

Had to drive it in 4x3 after popping an axle in the "taint" hot tub, had to make sunset for the wedding.

+1 for Toyota

Yes to Escalator. No spotter, just my 13 yo daughter in the passenger seat. It is locked in the rear. Had it all to ourselves that day. Did not and have never done Mickey's Hot Tub. Hard pass for me even w/ my TJ.

Been to Moab many times.

Here's my TJ on Proving Grounds in 05 before they closed it. This was filming for 4WheelerTV. It's the Easter Jeep Safari episode, second segment. It aired Late Spring early Summer of 05. You can find it on MotorTrend Television if you have the subscription.

2186_1090163447612_8593_n.jpg

2186_1090168927749_9063_n.jpg

2186_1090169007751_9554_n.jpg

2186_1090168687743_7775_n.jpg

PS. You're boy center left looks like he might be rested to lowlight. 😁

For you Jeep Guy's, I can get a 2000 Wrangler Sport, 4.0 5-Speed with 34K original miles on it. Basically a second home owners garage queen. It's listed for $18K, but that seems high to me?

All factory stock, no add on's.

What do you think?

For you Jeep Guy's, I can get a 2000 Wrangler Sport, 4.0 5-Speed with 34K original miles on it. Basically a second home owners garage queen. It's listed for $18K, but that seems high to me?

What do you think?
If it is mechanically sound and the cosmetics are good to really good then that is not a bad price. If you want a cruiser / woods road rig then it sounds great! But if your planning on building it and putting it in the woods for real then I would look at other options.

I wouldn't be Rock Crawling with it, just cruising Forest Service two-track roads. And maybe a little bit of exploring. As a kid, I had lots of experience with both CJ-5/7's and FJ40's, and know their capabilities in stock configuration.

What do you think?
Seems high for a 21 year old car that sold new for probably 50% more than that. I bought a new 2001 Sport w/ all the add ons except auto. IIRC, it was right at $30K. Soft top/ hard top, dana 44 rear axle, AC, full doors,

Definitely worth negotiating on though. There's a ton of TJs for sale. 2000 has the original 5 speed. 2001 introduced a new one. But nothing really to speak of except the new one was 'noisier'.

Surprised there's no love in this thread for 2nd gen Rams, seeing how they're the best truck ever made and what not.

22EC827C-5ECF-481F-8FC9-BA4E84364F8E.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Lazyninja