• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best On-Line College?

JRose

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Back in BHam!!!
I have about 60 credit hours completed at a traditional campus and would like to finish my degree. My work will pay for my education if it relates to my job (Fire Science, Public Safety, etc). Unfortunately, my old school doesn't offer a BA Fire Science cirriculum. Also, my work schedule makes an online school more desirable.

My question is, what is a credible online school? I know that Pheonix is a big one, and I've talked to the University of Maryland University college, but really know nothing about either outside of what they say.

My main concern is not finishing my education in a hokey school.

Re: Best On-Line College?

Check for accreditations. IMHO most employers will consider any online degree to be hokey, unfortunately.

Instead of doing an "online school" why not look at some of the local brick and mortar schools and see if they offer the classes or degree that you want online.

My Gf is doing just that, she is registered with a brick and mortar school but taking her classes online so she doesnt have to actually go to campus.

JR, I respect you from what I know about you from here so this is from the heart. Cyber degrees are for cyber professionals, ie those who only want to get a worthless paper. Get your ass in a classroom and do it right.
Why do I say this?
Medical Technologies degree from a cyber school = 25k a year
Medical Technologies BS Degree from APSU = 40+k a year
Both are entry level figures for the degree. As you can see, cyber degrees are for bullshitters and are basically worthless.
These figures came from a few professional MEd TEch grads and Professors who spoke at a APSU seminar two weeks ago. I asked these questions specifically because of the differences I found between entry level salaries in this area.
I start VA Voc Rehab for this degree Spring '11 and will finish with a paid internship Spring '14. Probably eating a bit of raman and ground meat in the next few years, but the results will be more than worth it as between VA pension and the new job I will be living just fine

JRose,

Many traditional schools, including the universities by you (UA, UAB, Sanford, etc.) offer either exclusive on-line degrees or degrees where there is limited physical presence.

Although I agree with most of the sentiment here the online degrees are barely worth the paper they are written on, you would be SURPRISED at how many people are getting degrees from these places, especially post-grad degrees, i.e. MBA. Sure, it's not Wharton but it still puts you ahead of those with "some college".

Also, specifically with University of Phoenix, it is getting extremely popular and their alumni number well into the 10,000's. Being so conspicuous forces them to be slightly better than everyone else.

Switch,

I'd love to go back to a campus school. I actually like school/education, I enjoy it.

Problem is two fold though. Not only is my schedule at the FD to erratic to be able to reguarly attend a traditional school, I work anywhere from 72-120 hours a week. also, I have only just started looking into it, but word is that it's hard to find Fire Science degrees at the local campuses here.

There is one place I need to follow up on that is a couple hours away, and offers all it's FS classes on line. You only have to make it there to take the actual mid term tests. A lot of the guys around here have went this route as the program is head by a retired fire chief, and is structured for us.

In 5 or 6 years when my wife goes back to work, and I can go down to one job, I would be able to make it happen on a regular campus, but by then my crdits will have expired.

I'd check to see if any local schools can offer a dual program for you. I know a lot of state schools are offering some of their core curriculum online, thus you can knock out a good number of credits that way, and maybe take one seminar course that meets once a week. That way, you can get a bit removed from a 100% online degree program.

I had the chance to study at a couple schools during my ugrad years due to travel and semester(s) abroad. I can tell you that the only major differences between a top 10 private school and a standard university is the competition you face from your peers and the expectations of the professor. It's hard to get that kind of student-to-student and student/professor relationship with online degrees. If you're going to drop the coin, you may as well get all the benefits of higher education, IMO.

I have a colleague at Lockheed Martin who also moonlights as an associate professor at George Mason University. He does both classroom courses, and online seminars for adults. I'd be happy to forward your questions on to him. He's a salty old retired Coast Guard officer who will feed you no bullshit. Hit me with a PM if you want me to touch base with him and get his opinion on the best online programs.

I commend you for pushing yourself for more education. While sometimes we focus on the pieces of paper we get in the end, it's the process of continual learning that's the most important skill we obtain. As my old man always told me growing up, never stop learning.

Like others have said, don't look for online schools. Look for real schools that offer classes online. I have a degree from Washington State University, I took several classes online when I couldn't get the "regular" classes to work into my schedule. My degree reads the same as anyone else's that took all their classes in the classroom.

JRose, I'm right there with you I have 80 credits an finally am at a spot to think about finishing up. Like others have said a true university is definitely the way to go, but I understand your position with a specialized degree. A good friend of mine in a similar situation as you went this route. More complex yes but it enabled him to hit his objective in as little time and finacial commitment as possible. He duel enrolled at two universities one real brick and morter the other virtual. The reasoning was this, he feared that the online institutionwould not prove credible but it was the actual area of education he was looking for. The established university he selected by location, willingness to except life earned credits(basically a portfolio of work based on past careers and work experience which would then equate to earned credits) his prior life experience earned him 20 credits. The final criteria were two schools that would except transfer credits from each. This enabled him to take just a few classes at the brick and morter university online and earned a full BA in business then ttransfer credits and take a few classes with the virtual university and he earner his specialized internet business marketing degree. This took him an extra semester and a few thousnd dollars more but he ended up with two undergraduate degrees one solid excepted anywhere he othernot as credible by itself but in conjuction specialized. He just finished up another degree, spent 3 years in china working on an MBA program at some chinese university, the program is co sponsored by MIT so his MBA reads that he earned it at MIT.

This is one of the colleges I'm looking into.

http://www.umuc.edu/index.shtml

Seems to be a "brick and mortar" college with a speciality in online classes for military and public service workers with off beat schedules.

I was originally a history major/philosophy minor, with the intent on going to law school. Almost all of my credit hours are "core" classes, so it will be easy to change my major at this point.

I take school seriously, and just don't want to waste my time in one of those "pay your money, get your piece of paper" places. I want to finish college the way i started, with a real educational experience.

Check out Columbia College.
http://www.ccis.edu/

They offer both online and "brick and mortar" campuses. They are accredited as well.

I took both on campus and online classed when it was convenient. I wasn't sure how the online part would go either. I didn't want just a paper either. I ended up feeling like I learned a lot, and I scored in the 80th percentile in my MFT vs. all other students taking same exam from other colleges and universities. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JRose,
Although I agree with most of the sentiment here the online degrees are barely worth the paper they are written on, you would be SURPRISED at how many people are getting degrees from these places, especially post-grad degrees, i.e. MBA. Sure, it's not Wharton but it still puts you ahead of those with "some college".

Also, specifically with University of Phoenix, it is getting extremely popular and their alumni number well into the 10,000's. Being so conspicuous forces them to be slightly better than everyone else. </div></div>

And a lot of people are getting frustrated that they have "MBAs" that employers don't give a hoot about. Seriously, I have an MBA, I help recruit MBAs, if I see University of Phoenix or some similar BS that is no better than not having the degree at all. I'll take "some college" with actual attendance than an online degree in an applicant any day.

Perhaps there are some entry-level degrees where online schools are ok, but if you are seriously looking to advance your career find something live you can attend...even if it takes a little longer. It's like buying a crap scope because you can't afford the good one today but you could if you did without and saved another year. In the end, you end up angry you bought the crap scope when it won't perform for you and you either buy another or end up saving even longer for a good one that does what you need it to do.

I've heard few good things from the "online universities".

I believe this was mentioned, but have you looked to see if your local (be it community college or 4 year) offers online classes?

One trend that is becoming more popular in this area is for a 4 year university to offer commuter and online classes for adults who have an associate's degree and are seeking a better alternative for a bachelors....or masters in some cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One trend that is becoming more popular in this area is for a 4 year university to offer commuter and online classes for adults who have an associate's degree and are seeking a better alternative for a bachelors....or masters in some cases. </div></div>

+1 I go to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and I know they offer accredited undergrad and grad programs online. However it is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

My wife works with designing online courses at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. Many of the students are guys and gals that are deployed in less than desireable places. "Online" is the fastest growing department in the whole University! As far as the courses go, they're just as credible as any "in the classroom" courses. Online courses can actually be harder.

That said, there are obviously certain hands-on classes, courses and degrees that, IMHO, require experience you can only get in a classroom or lab environment.

I have to respectfully disagree with those that say online degrees are worthless. There is a valid time and place for them!

A college degree doesn't get you as far as you'd think. A masters degree nowdays is the new bachelors. Alot more people are going back to school. Experience and personality is what gets you jobs. Few people care if you got your degree at harvard or El Paso Community College (especially when you're not looking for your first job). Smart employers, anyway, want to hire a professional knowledgable person that can perform their job well. The degree is simply proof that you have the problem solving skills and dedication that they're looking for.

Getting your first job might be a little different as far as people looking at your GPA/school etc.

I have degrees in mechanical engineering and applied mathematics from New Mexico State University (classroom setting). I think I learned more in a classroom setting because of the nature of the material. I took all my history and econ classes online and learned more that way since I was so bored in class. it's dependant on the material and the way you learn best. Don't go to college online if you can't stand to sit in front of the computer.

One disclaimer, though...go someplace that is accredited.

*edited to add
I know some people who refuse to go to school online because of the very mentality that online schools are worthless. Not one that I've known has finished because they could only take 1 class at a time because of their job. I know a few who are still pluggin' away after 4 years and still haven't earned a degree...IN BUSINESS!

FWIW.

I've been looking into finishing my degree online as well. More and more of the higher end 'brick and mortar' schools in this area are offering certain degree programs online. The actual degree that you receive is the same as you would get from taking the same classes in the actual buildings, some of which are even taught by the same professors. There is no designation on the degree as to wether it was completed online or in classes. From what I've seen, these degrees from actual colleges hold more weight than degrees from the online-only campuses like university of phoenix. Just my .02 from some of the research that I've done so far.

i have watched a guy i work with literally copy test questions, paste them in google, copy a few of his findings into the answers block of his online tests on more than one occasion. they allow a certain percentage of plagiarism. if they are not worthless yet i'm sure it will only be a matter of time

I did my B.S. at DeVry and would not recommend it. I'm looking for a school for my M.S. at this point and have found a few good choices online, but it depends on your field of study. Online schools get a bad rep, but a lot of it depends on the student as well. I've run into a lot of DeVry alumni in my field, some of them are managers or directors at this point, others are barely paying the bills.

Phantasm, your example of some people being managers and others barely paying the bills is the difference between those that got a degree in communication or art and those that went for chemistry, physics, or engineering.

The same is true with a classroom degree.....pick something that's going to make you money, not just the easiest (and shortest) degree you can get.

I have nothing against communication and art degrees....but you have to be "gifted" to make them work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erik S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phantasm, your example of some people being managers and others barely paying the bills is the difference between those that got a degree in communication or art and those that went for chemistry, physics, or engineering.

The same is true with a classroom degree.....pick something that's going to make you money, not just the easiest (and shortest) degree you can get.

I have nothing against communication and art degrees....but you have to be "gifted" to make them work. </div></div>

I was actually referring to people in my field directly. Some people are dishonest when they take online courses. In the end you get out of the course what you put into it. My degree has served me well, it hasn't gotten me anywhere of note in my career but it has opened doors.

Online degrees have changed a lot in the last 25 years. Yes, I know the internet isn't really that old. The first online "universities" were the old 'get your degree at home' classes that Sally Struthers used to pitch on TV. That is where the bad rap came from.
More and more universities (and CCs) are using online for many courses. In 20 years, I think online will be the norm for undergrad degrees in most fields.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phantasm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erik S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phantasm, your example of some people being managers and others barely paying the bills is the difference between those that got a degree in communication or art and those that went for chemistry, physics, or engineering.

I have nothing against communication and art degrees....but you have to be "gifted" to make them work. </div></div>

I was actually referring to people in my field directly. Some people are dishonest when they take online courses. In the end you get out of the course what you put into it. My degree has served me well, it hasn't gotten me anywhere of note in my career but it has opened doors. </div></div>

I see what you mean. I suppose if they're just looking for a piece of paper, you'll get it the same as the guy that cheated, so there's no disadvantage to you there. You'll just be able to walk the walk when it comes to what you learned in school....the truth will eventually come out about the folks that cheated. They won't know anything.

To become a professional engineer, you have to take 2 tests. The Fundamentals of Engineering exam and then the Professional Engineer exam. You take the PE after working 2 years under an existing professional engineer. More degrees should be like this, IMO. Don't pass the test, don't get to be a professional in your field.

You all ready have a job... A degree from anywhere will make you more competitive for promotion...

I am not sure how it works in the FD but in the military a BS goes a long way... And it sets you up for an advanced degree... I work in the ROTC depatment at The College of William and Mary... For the College it is all about making a profit... Some employers will care where you got your degree if you are going into rocket science and want to work for NASA you want MIT/Cal Tech/ VA Tech... If it is a liberal arts degree nobody gives a @#@$

Excelsior college is a good way to go as well.