• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Best pig gun?

Sako man

profesional dilettante
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2012
    Galactic Sector ZZ9 Alpha Xray Plural.
    Any opinions on what makes for a good pig gun? Cali is GTG on pig all year and there is no bag/possession and transport limit on pigs right now. Long story short I made the mistake a few weeks ago of using an 5.56 AR15 on a pig hunt. I was having no luck all day until heading back to the truck, anyhow a ninety pounder crossed right in front of us on the trail about a hundred yards up. I had to light the thing up before it died, probably shot it about ten times, worst kill ever.

So don't try to convince me that any 5.56 is gonna do the trick. "Or you didn't shoot it in the right place."

I was thinking 6.8 or even 308 gas gun now. Who is using a bolt gun for pigs? Advice appreciated.

Texas pretty much overrun with hogs and the 6.8 SPC is very popular here. Make sure its a SpecII chamber. The 6.8 SPC had many teething problems and the round originally thought of as an alternative for the military to the 556 has become a popular hunting round. My favorites are my M1a Squad Scout in 308 and my SBR with a Wilson 12.5" barrel in 6.8 SPC.
    Quick follow up shots and multiple targets make a gas gun a good choice.

My buddy and I have been killing some pigs lately. I've been using 308 and he is shooting 300 blackout. Both calibers are easily up to the task. I was just thinking today, however, that I might like to get a 45-70 lever gun for pigs.

Hate to tell you this, but lots of folks use the AR here in Texas with no issues.
    Could have been ammo selection, could have been the nut behind the trigger.

However, any excuse to buy a new gun is a good excuse to buy a new gun.

I use a bolt gun, because I have several.
    Savage makes a rifle called the hog hunter.
    The 6.8 SPC II with SSA combat loads would give you a considerable increase in energy, as would the 6.5 grendel or one of the variants.
    An AR10 variant in any of the .308 based cartridges would work well.

Texas pretty much overrun with hogs and the 6.8 SPC is very popular here. Make sure its a SpecII chamber. The 6.8 SPC had many teething problems and the round originally thought of as an alternative for the military to the 556 has become a popular hunting round. My favorites are my M1a Squad Scout in 308 and my SBR with a Wilson 12.5" barrel in 6.8 SPC.
    Quick follow up shots and multiple targets make a gas gun a good choice.

Interesting as I was possibly thinking the SOCOM would be a good pig gun. Perhaps with a 5 or 8x optic?

I have seen 556 work with heavy quality bullets and humane kills. I have killed trophy boar all over the country and swamp pigs in Alabama. I knock their ass out with an FN SLP MK1 and 600gr light fields. Then I use 215gr bergers at long distances out of an AI 300wm. However for mass killing 308 AR's with shorter yet accurate set ups get hogs no yards after the catch and lots of lead down field. Hog hunting is my passion and I literally use a different round and weapon for different terrain, distance, style of hunting approach being stalk or stand, as well as if I want the pig to drop or run off and die. If its a trophy I go accuracy, need for terrain, and humane quick kill. Running off Bama swamp hogs we will shoot em with 556 to AK's with 123gr Hndy SST's. it all depends.

My 7.62x39 AR has taken dozens of hogs. Next in line is a Sig Sauer 556R (also 7.62x39) and most recently a SBR AR15 in 300 Blk Out. I personally feel the 223 is a touch light for hogs. I like my 30 cals, but don't feel you need the extra bang a 308 provides.

My 7.62x39 AR has taken dozens of hogs. Next in line is a Sig Sauer 556R (also 7.62x39) and most recently a SBR AR15 in 300 Blk Out. I personally feel the 223 is a touch light for hogs. I like my 30 cals, but don't feel you need the extra bang a 308 provides.

Yeah I can totally see the 7.62x39 as good pig ammo. But I want the ability to reach out accurately as well and as good as the sig556 is I don't know how it's gonna do at 400 yards?

I was running 75gr TAP so I do not buy 223/556 as a reliable pig killer as stated, it's crap for first shot kills on a pig. If I had the money to burn I would possibly do a SCAR17 for pigs.

So check out these fatties, the one out front must have been 220lbs at least. I really felt like that shot would have required a hard hitting round.

Attachments

• Pigzillas.jpg
      Pigzillas.jpg
      106.8 KB · Views: 34
    Yeah I can totally see the 7.62x39 as good pig ammo. But I want the ability to reach out accurately as well and as good as the sig556 is I don't know how it's gonna do at 400 yards?

I was running 75gr TAP so I do not buy 223/556 as a reliable pig killer as stated, it's crap for first shot kills on a pig. If I had the money to burn I would possibly do a SCAR17 for pigs.

So check out these fatties, the one out front must have been 220lbs at least. I really felt like that shot would have required a hard hitting round.

You're right. The 7.62x39 isn't going to knock those big fatties down at 400 yards. I'm in a little closer here in the Texas brush country and Texas Hill Country. 75-150 yards is the norm.

SCAR17 would be awesome

thinking maybe the new Savage Hog Hunter rifle in 308 or maybe a Marlin 336 .30-30. btw, seems like guys are killing hogs all the time with .223 rifles in the state of Texas. maybe the hogs are smaller there?

thinking maybe the new Savage Hog Hunter rifle in 308 or maybe a Marlin 336 .30-30. btw, seems like guys are killing hogs all the time with .223 rifles in the state of Texas. maybe the hogs are smaller there?

Didn't say I didn't kill it. But I want one round and down! Ever shoot a pig and it squeals until you get it in the head?

I used American Eagle 55gr out of a Stag Arms M4ish rifle for most of mine, and I didn't have any problems. I know you did say not to get into that, but it is true. I had that same issue until I learned about the anatomy of the pig. For body shots you shouldn't even fire at anything other then just below the shoulders(around the knees, or hock, or whatever they're called because the heart is in this area, and so are the lungs), aside from the head which should always be your main priority, and even then you aim at the ears, and if it's facing you aim between the eyes.

Plenty of people have killed things larger then a hog with the round. Some days you fill up the back of the pickup, and some days you don't.

My formula for picking out a good caliber is accuracy + penetration. I've had pigs run even after getting hit with buckshot, only to bleed out later. I used a slug on one once, and the damn thing expanded before even reaching any of the vital organs.

I've though about .45-70, but then I ask myself if destroying that much meat is viable when I can kill a pig with something twice as small in caliber. Yes, it's a damn near guaranteed kill, but if you're looking for meat to put on the table, then is it worth it?

Consider the .30-06 and the .300WM as well. The short mags might even help you out too. Even .44mag and .45LC hard cast bullets would do the job.

Finally, around one of my old hunting areas, a man was taking a couple fat hogs a week using only a compound bow. It's something that I've pondered for awhile, and with the same idea, a crossbow would do well too.

And, in closing, remember that if they even have a drop of blood left in their body, they will run. Aim for the head first, and shoulders if you can't.

Good luck.

I don't have any first hand experience, but through the years of watching the 6.5 grendel forums I never saw anyone complain that it didn't work well on hogs. Quite the opposite.

Just another option for you. I don't know about availability currently, but I'd imagine a new upper is cheaper than a whole new rifle, and the 6.5G restored my hope in the ar-15 platform for hunting after some similar results to yours with even smaller animals using 5.56.

Put the bullet right behind the ear with just about anything and it is game over.

A pig's heart is between the shoulders, about a 1/3 up from the bottom.

Too many people go for a heart shot like a deer behind the shoulder and they run off to die.

With that said, my go to hog gun is a 6.8 with 95g Barnes TTSX

243 or 260 in ar-10 platform, I'd probably run 308 though due to if I need ammo I just buy it and i can run a shorter barrel without loosing much.

Put the bullet right behind the ear with just about anything and it is game over.

Too many people go for a heart shot like a deer behind the shoulder and they run off to die.

For the win!!! You need to know the anatomy of the animal. You also need to know the limitations of the cartridge. A 223 in the skull beats a 460 in the guts- at almost any range... If you shoot a pig with the intention of a lung shot- based on deer anatomy- you just got a whole lot of gut. 300 lb pigs are not the norm anywhere, but they are not terribly unusual either- even here in Texas. Most reports of bullet or caliber failure are actually shooter error. Just sayin'...

The first feral hog I ever shot was about 100m away, one round dead center and it fell over dead. Another one was a little closer, ran away into the treeline, a couple days later I walked by and smelled very dead hog. Still another one was not looking around as it was trotting down the trail and I hit it once no more than 10m. It ran for five seconds and expired.

All of these were with an iron sighted Colt 6920 shooting M193 556, that is, the Vietnam classic 55FMJ. One shot one kill on 200-pound animals.

Then there was the time I saw some hogs about 300m away, ran inside and grabbed my LR-308 with 16" barrel and 10x Bushnell 3200, locked and loaded some 168SMK, flopped prone with mag monopod, and since I was zeroed at 200m, aimed at the shoulder spine of the biggest animal standing broadside. She turned away at the last second and the bullet hit low in her abdomen, traveling through her lengthwise with no exit wound. She dropped on the spot. My dad, who has looked at literally a million pigs at the farm, estimated her as over 300 pounds. The buzzards sent me a Christmas card that year.

556 will get it done at least up to 100m; past that I couldn't tell you. If you don't feel comfortable with 556 anymore, by all means go as big as you want, so long as you can still afford practice ammo. I'm sure .260 will be just fine. I stick with 762 because I can either buy it for way less than civilian cartridges or reload for way less than that.

If you couldn't kill a 90lb pig with one round from a 223 the problem isn't the rifle, it's the shooter. A 90lbs hog isn't very big at all. Even a varmint bullet should make it to the vitals in a pig that size and do it's job. Shoot it in the head or through the vitals and basically any 223 bullet will work. A larger round isn't going to make up for a bad shot.

If you couldn't kill a 90lb pig with one round from a 223 the problem isn't the rifle, it's the shooter. A 90lbs hog isn't very big at all. Even a varmint bullet should make it to the vitals in a pig that size and do it's job. Shoot it in the head or through the vitals and basically any 223 bullet will work. A larger round isn't going to make up for a bad shot.

Not you again, what are you stalking me. Go piss in another corner please.

The ignore list is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:
    I used American Eagle 55gr out of a Stag Arms M4ish rifle for most of mine, and I didn't have any problems. I know you did say not to get into that, but it is true. I had that same issue until I learned about the anatomy of the pig. For body shots you shouldn't even fire at anything other then just below the shoulders(around the knees, or hock, or whatever they're called because the heart is in this area, and so are the lungs), aside from the head which should always be your main priority, and even then you aim at the ears, and if it's facing you aim between the eyes.

Plenty of people have killed things larger then a hog with the round. Some days you fill up the back of the pickup, and some days you don't.

My formula for picking out a good caliber is accuracy + penetration. I've had pigs run even after getting hit with buckshot, only to bleed out later. I used a slug on one once, and the damn thing expanded before even reaching any of the vital organs.

I've though about .45-70, but then I ask myself if destroying that much meat is viable when I can kill a pig with something twice as small in caliber. Yes, it's a damn near guaranteed kill, but if you're looking for meat to put on the table, then is it worth it?

Consider the .30-06 and the .300WM as well. The short mags might even help you out too. Even .44mag and .45LC hard cast bullets would do the job.

Finally, around one of my old hunting areas, a man was taking a couple fat hogs a week using only a compound bow. It's something that I've pondered for awhile, and with the same idea, a crossbow would do well too.

And, in closing, remember that if they even have a drop of blood left in their body, they will run. Aim for the head first, and shoulders if you can't.

Good luck.

Yeah I hear ya. To clarify this is only my second pig. Fist was with a 7mm and it was just standing there, it was too easy, bang...went down . This one was running from a trail into thick grass and brush. Bugger was a sprinter and although very obscured I managed to get it in the bacon and rump, one grazing the hock, but it kept going for a ways, it was impressive. Im convinced that some of the thick brush I shot through was slowing my rounds down. If I could have seen his head I would have gone for it. So I want a round that doesn't deflect as much through that stuff next time. So I'm done with 223/556 for that kind of shooting.

Definitely agree with the 95g Barnes choice, wasn't impressed with the way the Hornady SST bullet came apart on deer so I did some research. It's pretty impressive how much of their weight the TTSX bullets retain after impact.

Definitely agree with the 95g Barnes choice, wasn't impressed with the way the Hornady SST bullet came apart on deer so I did some research. It's pretty impressive how much of their weight the TTSX bullets retain after impact.

Your using a 6.8SPC? I have been reading up and as stated by others seems like a good hog caliber? Once again tho probably good at medium distances. Looks like some people are choosey for where they are hunting, so based on location.

For me it depends where we are hunting.. in rural areas with houses in the distance I use my 300 blackout with 125 grain ballistic tips within 150 yards. If we are in the center of Florida and no one is in sight the 308 AR comes out with some 180 Sierra Spitzer boat tails and I am not afraid to take a longer shot.

I like neck shots just behind the head, the sows here are really really good eating, especially when slow roasted in a pit or smoker so anything south of the shoulders is worth preserving and avoiding.

I tried my 6.8 spc with 115's and really didn't like it, no real reason, just did not seem to get the job done like the 30 cals do. I'm thinking bullet weight is key for my aim point.

I would think a 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 SPC on your lower would be excellent. Light, and good for follow up shots. I have hunted pig here in NorCal, and think the shots could be anywhere from 20 yards to 200+(as in your photo). I do like the Barnes bullets, but they work best above 2,400 fps.

In Calif. there may be lead restrictions where you are, so make sure the caliber you choose has an impact velocity that works with copper bullets. Usually the Grendel starts out at 2,600 fps or so, but perhaps hand loads can do better.

No just honest. OP wants to blame something for his fuckup and advertises it to the world so he is fair game.

You having a small dick day again? Go back to your trailer...

For me it depends where we are hunting.. in rural areas with houses in the distance I use my 300 blackout with 125 grain ballistic tips within 150 yards. If we are in the center of Florida and no one is in sight the 308 AR comes out with some 180 Sierra Spitzer boat tails and I am not afraid to take a longer shot.

I like neck shots just behind the head, the sows here are really really good eating, especially when slow roasted in a pit or smoker so anything south of the shoulders is worth preserving and avoiding.

I tried my 6.8 spc with 115's and really didn't like it, no real reason, just did not seem to get the job done like the 30 cals do. I'm thinking bullet weight is key for my aim point.

I was using 75g. A 308 would do the job as well just fine, would probably run 155 to 168.

Yeah we have a great place in close that will butcher for almost nothing. Still have a bunch left. Smoked some ribs last week, threw on some honey and smoke based BBQ sauce I made with jalapeños, not too spicy but just right amount of kick. have to be careful to cook fully, know someone who passed away form undercooked feral pig.

have to be careful to cook fully, know someone who passed away form undercooked feral pig

Fuck, you too.. Everybody knows about that poor fella that ate my ol' ladys cooking...

When my kids were small they would ask who is cooking tonight and if the wife spoke up all you heard was aaaaaahhhhhwwww. My mother said my kids were mal-nurished.

^^^^^ Thats the truth ^^^^^^

I remember one night when I got back to CONUS we were sitting at the table and the food was so bad it was one of those moments where everyone was pushing their food around on the plate with their forks not eating a bite, then the old lady flips her plate over, jumps up, tells everyone to fuck off, storms out of the room and I ordered Pizza!

Saved the day...

I shoot pigs with a 308 bolt gun. Either right in the head or just behind it. Saves the meat. 175g SMK does the trick for me. I've seen many pigs run off from friends using a .223, but generally the shots aren't in the right place when that happens. I had a bad shot on one with my 30/30 lever gun in the hindquarters at around 80y using irons. It hit the ground hard squealing and my buddy ran up to finish it off with his pistol. Buddy got ten feet away and the sucker jumped right back up and took off at a full sprint. We tracked it but never found it as I think it crossed onto another piece of property which we didn't have permission to go on. Tough son of a bitches!

Take time to make a good shot, aim for the base of the ear, and don't just blast them.

308 bolt with a 175 SMK is effective.

I just posted this for RHunter on another thread.

Last edited:
    Your using a 6.8SPC? I have been reading up and as stated by others seems like a good hog caliber? Once again tho probably good at medium distances. Looks like some people are choosey for where they are hunting, so based on location.

Yeah, the 6.8 works pretty good on deer. The sst's that I recovered out of two deer were just shrapnel, there wasn't much left of the bullet after impact. I forget what site it's on but there is a good comparison of bullet expansion that made up my mind on what to run when I'm out of bullets. I wouldn't have a problem shooting deer out to 350 yards with my 14.5" noveske.

... I managed to get it in the bacon and rump, one grazing the hock... Im convinced that some of the thick brush I shot through was slowing my rounds down...

Quoted for posterity. Take clear shots and shoot the vitals. "Bacon," "rump," and "hock" are the parts of the pig most people eat. Shoot the pig in the "heart," "lungs," or- if you want to be fancy- "central nervous system" and you can shoot almost any round you want on a 90 lb pig. I think there is one member here that calls pigs that small "bacon rabbits..." "The bacon" is not widely regarded as a vital area.

Reminds me of a joke that ends

"why does the pig only have 3 legs?"
    "With a pig that good you don't eat him all at once..."

Big calibers do not make up for poor shooting.

Quoted for posterity. Take clear shots and shoot the vitals. "Bacon," "rump," and "hock" are the parts of the pig most people eat. Shoot the pig in the "heart," "lungs," or- if you want to be fancy- "central nervous system" and you can shoot almost any round you want on a 90 lb pig. I think there is one member here that calls pigs that small "bacon rabbits..." "The bacon" is not widely regarded as a vital area.

Reminds me of a joke that ends

"why does the pig only have 3 legs?"
    "With a pig that good you don't eat him all at once..."

Big calibers do not make up for poor shooting.

Im sure no offense meant but "poor shooting"?

If I could have taken a shot in the neck, or vitals I would have. Those suckers and move and running through brush and grass it's hard to get a bead on them. Surprised I even hit it at all. I'm not some AR15 magpull ninja but I can hold my own usually. So people can keep going there but they were not in my scenario seeing what I was seeing. It's pretty easy on this forum to pass judgment without understanding the situation.

So let me ask all the arm chair commentators here because I'm sure you all have the answer. How do I shoot a pig in the vitals when it's ass is towards me and it's going 20mph in thick grass?

Being a good hunter means passing poor shot opportunities (non opportunities). A poor shot is a poor shot, whether it be due to skill or circumstance.

I have a handful of guns I like for pig hunting. Which one I bring with depends on the specific terrain I'll be hunting in. (All of which is located in Monterey County, CA)

If I'm hunting in brushy country, where visibility is limited to 20 - 50 yards, I carry an old Winchester '94 with a ghost ring or a Winchester 100 (308) with a ghost ring.

The land I currently hunt on is pretty open, and 200 yard shots are possible, so I carry a Tikka T3 lite in 308.

6.8 spc with 110gr Hornady VMAX for 250/300 yards and under, anything else I use a semi-auto 308 with 150gr core locts if I don't have cattle, structures or people that are in my shooting area.

Being a good hunter means passing poor shot opportunities (non opportunities). A poor shot is a poor shot, whether it be due to skill or circumstance.

Amen! Something most all of have us have done. Live and learn.

A GOOD shot from a decent constructed bullet should have brought down a 90lbs hog if hit properly. Killed a many many many hogs with 22 lr's and 22mags. I've never felt under gunned with my 22mag loaded with cci 40gr mini mags. Behind the ear has always been lethal.

No offense but sounds like you spray & prayed. But if you are getting into hunting hogs seriously I would up it from a 223 if your taking body shots into the shield. A lot of good recommendations above.

I have seen 556 work with heavy quality bullets and humane kills. I have killed trophy boar all over the country and swamp pigs in Alabama. I knock their ass out with an FN SLP MK1 and 600gr light fields. Then I use 215gr bergers at long distances out of an AI 300wm. However for mass killing 308 AR's with shorter yet accurate set ups get hogs no yards after the catch and lots of lead down field. Hog hunting is my passion and I literally use a different round and weapon for different terrain, distance, style of hunting approach being stalk or stand, as well as if I want the pig to drop or run off and die. If its a trophy I go accuracy, need for terrain, and humane quick kill. Running off Bama swamp hogs we will shoot em with 556 to AK's with 123gr Hndy SST's. it all depends.

Where is this Bama hog hunting happening? I want in! I've got a .308 MATEN I'd like to try out on hogs.

My 223 has 1/7 & shoots Barnes #22470 Triple Shock 70 grs & no hogs have survived. Prolly not the best rig for everybody but works for me.
    relentless.

THIS. I always mentally check myself. Can I realistically make this shot hit exactly where I want it to? If I can't pull the trigger with confidence, I don't pull it. As an example, an eyeball shot on a running pig at 350 yds would make a great story, but if I'm honest with myself, I know I probably can't make that shot. So I don't take it, or I wait until it stops moving. If the pig stops, I feel good about that shot. An animal that died badly taught me this lesson. Don't miss out on the lesson by blaming it on insufficient caliber. None of the hits you described are kill shots on a pigs anatomy. Got to be confident in your shot, whatever the gun.

Where is this Bama hog hunting happening? I want in! I've got a .308 MATEN I'd like to try out on hogs.

I can't speak for his location, but I have taken some big boar at 200lbs and up. Max weigh I ever saw belonged to a fat ass ex-farm pig( was close to 300), but the really wild ones I saw were all lean.

I was in South East Alabama at the time. I heard of them being in Auburn, and on Fort Benning as well. There's a hunting outfit that does nighttime thermal, and nightvision, hog hunts out of that area. I'm not sure if they're still around or not since I heard about them.

Last edited: