• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best polarized sunglasses around $50?

bohica17

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
Canal Winchester Ohio
Tried shady rays, customer service and replacement is legit. Film cover wears off to quick (glass lens right lol) and are always to loose fitting. As in couldn’t put them up on top of my hat with out them falling off. I’m pretty hard on glasses so looking for some reviews on anything you guys love that’s a hidden gem.

I honestly don’t know what you can pick a pair up for since I obtained mine for free at a match but my Leupold glasses are actually pretty legit.

I like Magpul’s polarized glasses. Also, ESS rollbars for wearing with ear pro, and some hats.

Midway has been having some legit sales on Oakley sunglasses. I bought a pair of Crankshaft for like $60. It's worth checking...I'm not sure if that sale is ongoing.

Reactions: BCP
Tried shady rays, customer service and replacement is legit. Film cover wears off to quick (glass lens right lol) and are always to loose fitting. As in couldn’t put them up on top of my hat with out them falling off. I’m pretty hard on glasses so looking for some reviews on anything you guys love that’s a hidden gem.
I love my Shady Ray's. They fit my small narrow head really well and stay on my hat.

Hit up a couple TJ Max, they usually have some polarized Oakley’s and Raybans for $50-$60. No reason to buy junk when you can get the good stuff for that price. Sacks off 5th also runs good sales on already discounted Raybans and sometimes Raybans does good sales too. My new favorite are the Justin’s and I got a couple pair on sale a few months back directly from Rayban for like $70/pair for polarized.

Heatwave has a bunch that are Z87, lot of trade guys love them.

Have been using Sunclouds from REI for about 3 years of use/abuse and no issues to date. Think about $45-50 if memory serves.

I second suncloud.

I’ve been using them for the last 8-9 years and it’s they’re great. No questions asked replacement too. I’m hard on my stuff and I’ve been through 3-4 replacement over the years.

Check out Flying Fisherman. I’ve had good luck with them, and they are cheap enough (~$20-30) that if I lose them or break them, it’s not a big deal.

I don't see them but I agree the Magpul ones are excellent optically... not like decent, but nearly on par with Oakleys.

They don't fit my face, but the glass is great. I have family that have a few pairs. One person bought a pair and others picked them up, and everyone happy.

ESS. The initial investment is more than $50 but you can get replacement lenses for a nice price and they'll cover one replacement free if you damage them. I like that I can get several lens types and switch them, quickly and easily, when needed. They have very good safety glass rating as well. Although the polarized are not up to the same spec as the other lenses as far as 'safety lens' IIRC.

For what it’s worth get a decent pair oakleys or something and then when the lenses get messed up just replace them. I’ve had the same Oakley frames for years and use Fuse lenses to replace when I need new ones…

I found a model of Wileyx me and the wife liked, bought several pair but we are on the last ones.

ESS rollbars for wearing with ear pro, and some hats.

Do you mind expanding on this? I need something that fits better with a hat and earpro. Why do these work better than others?

I have been looking for some shooting glasses that were not as dark as my eyes have started going away with age.
I found ATTCL Eyewear on Amazon had some shades with gradient lenses that I really like. Mine came with a nice storage box to keep them from getting crushed in my gear bag.

I don't see them but I agree the Magpul ones are excellent optically... not like decent, but nearly on par with Oakleys.

They don't fit my face, but the glass is great. I have family that have a few pairs. One person bought a pair and others picked them up, and everyone happy.
While I liked the Magpul ones for a year or so after that time the coating on the plastic has started to shred and melt off it making them uncomfortable. My WileyXs Ovation sunglasses seem to be holding up much better, but are not $50 unfortunately.

Do you mind expanding on this? I need something that fits better with a hat and earpro. Why do these work better than others?
Magpul on the left,
Oakley jacket in the middle,
ESS rollbar on the right
71CDE4FA-4405-4BE6-A16B-2A2B4FF88B44.jpeg

The legs are much thinner on the rollbars and fit between head/ears/hat/ear-pro better than the others. They also meet mil spec for ballistic impact resistance- if that matters to you.

Reactions: 346ci
Magpul on the left,
ESS rollbar on the right
View attachment 7920719
The legs are much thinner on the rollbars and fit between head/ears/hat/ear-pro better than the others. They also meet mil spec for ballistic impact resistance- if that matters to you.

Awesome! Thanks!

Magpul on the left,
ESS rollbar on the right
View attachment 7920719
Looking at the ESS Rollbars, do their legs have any kind of rubber that will peel off with use?

Looking at the ESS Rollbars, do their legs have any kind of rubber that will peel off with use?
The only rubber is on the nose piece. The legs are all plastic. Mine are pretty beat up, and several years old, and the rubber nose piece has held up well.

For all around comfort, I prefer the Oakley jackets. But when eye protection is primary, I reach for the roll bars.

Reactions: 346ci
I've been a Costa Del Mar wearer for years. I came across a new brand this year that I am very impressed with. Sun Cloud. Glasses are around $50 and the lenses are amazing. Check them out.

Edit: I have a smaller framed face and the sentry model is perfect.

I've got a couple pairs of Stngrs I really like. Really tough, decent lenses, and comfortable. I think they're closer to $75, but worth it to me.

Hit up a couple TJ Max, they usually have some polarized Oakley’s and Raybans for $50-$60. No reason to buy junk when you can get the good stuff for that price. Sacks off 5th also runs good sales on already discounted Raybans and sometimes Raybans does good sales too. My new favorite are the Justin’s and I got a couple pair on sale a few months back directly from Rayban for like $70/pair for polarized.
I always thought the ones TJ Maxx sells were fake.

I have had the same issue with Shady Rays, shame because i do really like them except the coatings of the lenses always coming off. They are good about free replacements but that is a PITA

I have had some GOODR for a few months now and they are holding up good. Polarized and $25-35. They have some stupid styles, but a few decent ones