• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Precision AR10 (In your opinion(s))?

IMO when buying one of these rifles, Id take those so called accuracy guarantee group pictures you get with a rifle with a grain of salt. The monolith I had at one time also came with one that could never be repeated. Im not saying the LB wont shoot, I just could not shoot it like I could my JP or GAP10. From my experience with all three, the JP or GAP would be the way to go. The GAP-10 shoots so good it makes the shooter look better then he is.

A big difference between the LB and the others are options. Gap and JP will build you a rifle with your input on customization. Ill never forget when my FFL called up LB to order a Monolith and requested a surefire brake installed ( even when provided).... forget about it. This somewhat bothered me as there are so many options out there and the price of the rifle.

If nothing else, look at how many GAP-10 owners are unhappy... We have a huge thread here of owners and JP owners have a large following also. When I was buying the LB monolith I noticed there were a very limited amount of information out there on it. Compared to other AR10s, the LB shoots very well, but to me, the GAP-10 is the King. (LRP-07 the queen).

FYI: The JP really does feel like it has ball bearings in the smoothness of the cocking handle. Amazing craftmanship.

Where does the Larue tOBR fit? Their new in house barrel, along with their proprietary barrel nut seem to be producing outstanding results. Group sizes posted on ARFCOM are some of the best I've seen produced from any autoloader.

IMO, the best precision AR10/AR308 is the one you built yourself. As long as you take your time and do your research you can get EXACTLY what YOU want within your budget limitations. If you're worried that you won't get the accuracy from a home brew you can let a seasoned well known gunsmith take care of the barrel chambering, fitting, and headspacing to your upper and your rifle will shoot as well as any big name AR. Just remember you need to do your research and not just throw random parts together, because some parts don't fit or work well with other parts... Also, a RELIABLE and CONSISTANT 1/2" AR is the exception not the rule. You'll see a lot of 1/2" groups people love to show off, but the mass majority cannot repeat this over and over even with your big name ARs.

IMO, the best precision AR10/AR308 is the one you built yourself. As long as you take your time and do your research you can get EXACTLY what YOU want within your budget limits.

+1

That is what I love about these forums, everyone has an opinion. Personally I think JP LRP-07 is the best, it is light and it is very soft shooting, it is very accurate, it is extremely reliable, and has the best customer service in the industry. Again IMO, but like I said all of the rifles talked about in this forum are all top notch and in TRUTH they are all pretty equal just to each his own. But mine is still the best LOL.

I know Larue OBR is a bad word but I am green to the sport and shot .844 inch groups at 400 and three where in the same hole. Imagine what I can do when I have some trigger time.....

OP did you make a final decision on you're choice?
I would like to know what you choose and why?

I know Larue OBR is a bad word but I am green to the sport and shot .844 inch groups at 400 and three where in the same hole. Imagine what I can do when I have some trigger time.....

Sorry but I'm calling BS. That's close to what a great bench rest shooter can do!

image.jpg. Unless this is not the correct way to show MOA and I am in no way saying that being a dick. I do stand corrected it was .830. It was .744 at 300

Last edited:
Sorry but I'm calling BS. That's close to what a great bench rest shooter can do!

I don't call BS on people I don't know, however, I find this claim to be rather spectacular and I would want to see some sort of substantiation and know some details. I own something that I might call a "complete set" of LT rifles, and I find them to be excellent shooters, but .844 is more like a 200m group, maybe a 300m group on a good day, but not a 400m group. Are these hand loads or factory ammo? Which LT rifle is it?

I don't call BS on people I don't know, however, I find this claim to be rather spectacular and I would want to see some sort of substantiation and know some details. I own something that I might call a "complete set" of LT rifles, and I find them to be excellent shooters, but .844 is more like a 200m group, maybe a 300m group on a good day, but not a 400m group. Are these hand loads or factory ammo? Which LT rifle is it?

First off I posted a picture. I believe I measured the group correct if not let me know. I am new to this. The rifle is a Larue OBR. 16 inch barrels. Load was 168 hpbt sierra with 41g varget. Col 2.008 Coal 2.800. It was 73 degrees out winds 14-22 mph right to left. 2.1 mil drop .5 windage.

Last edited:
Well, if you shot that at 400yd, then you held a .198moa group in 14-22mph winds. That's some world class shooting right there. I'm pretty sure Mark would want to know about it.

Standpipe.

I haven't made that decision yet. I like the GAP 10 but don't like the hand guards at all. Love the JP style, but still like the GAP bc of familiarity (I own a POF).

At first I felt bad for starting this thread but I have actually learned a bunch from reading everyone's experiences. At this point, really want a JP, but I have an extra POF lower hanging around that would make a GAP which would be the more economical option.

I'm still reading this thread every day waiting to make that decision!

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if you shot that at 400yd, then you held a .198moa group in 14-22mph winds. That's some world class shooting right there. I'm pretty sure Mark would want to know about it.

I still have both targets. That wasn't my first string, just my best overall. I really don't have a reason to BS. A mans integrity is priceless. I would love to be world class, far from it maybe it was the Kennedy factor.

Larue, he is the owner of Larue tactical. I don't doubt your group, i've shot a .750 at 500yds before and I'm not a great paper shooter. Sometimes it happens and the stars align and we do the right thing. Congrats.

As for the best rifle, AR10, bolt, .22lr, etc.... its really what you think is the best, the one you have the most confidence in, the one you are comfortable with.