• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Range Finder Performer...Leica Geovid HD-B vs Swarovski EL Range vs Zeiss Victory RF

Pearjaw

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2013
Florence, MT
I'm in the market for a new pair of range finding binoculars and am having trouble deciding what to buy.... In this thread I'm only interested in the range finder performance. I know all three of these manufacturers have great glass and I don't have a real preference. From all the reading i have been doing i'm getting different info on how good the ranging capabilities are. I was dead set on buying the new Leica when it came out but haven't gotten a good review yet and it almost seams like the Bushnell Fusion will out range them all. As of now i'm using a pair of Leica Ultravids and a G7 range finder, this system works good but I don't want to carry 2 optics so having a Terrapin doesn't gain me anything. I need to be able to range a 12" steel plate at 1200yds.
Thanks for your info.

Last edited:
I just used the Swaro and Leica opening weekend at the ranch.

You would be happy with either. Im thinking about switching and I preferred the Swaro just ever so slightly.

I got a chance to try out the Bushnell Fusion....wow.....I wish I hadn't. I must have one now.

: )

it almost seams like the Bushnell Fusion will out range them all... I need to be able to range a 12" steel plate at 1200yds.
Thanks for your info.

I have a 10x fusion and 8x EL Range. I took both two weeks ago to S.E. Montana on a mule deer hunt. The fusion returned quicker and out distanced the EL Range measuring cows, rocks, trees and distant structures every day of the four I was out there. The EL returned well on deer at a little over 900 but a black cow at about the same range was giving me fits until he turned broadside. Oh, and the sage around the target being measured was giving me fits with the EL, the fusion was not having as much of a problem with it and when it did I’d cycle through the tree modes (near=target, far= brush and most powerful return= I forget want they call it) to get my measurement. Here in Michigan it’s not uncommon for me to have to measure through limbs and twigs and the brush mode on the fusion has not failed me yet where as the Swarovski doesn’t have this feature and almost always returns on the junk I am trying to range through.

On a 12" steel plate at my local range I have a very hard time getting a return much past 800y with either consistently but the fusion seems to be good for another 100 yards on what ever the smallest target the EL will return on. At 1000y the EL will return on 3 moa steel and sometimes on 2 moa while the fusion will almost always return on the 2 moa but rarely on the 1 moa. IMO, I doubt 1200 would be possible without a ground feature directly behind the target with either.

Aside from top shelf glass the EL has just a little more eye relief which makes them easier to use if you wear glasses and a really nice, wide field of view. What I dislike about the fusion is the shorter eye relief, the field of view is rather tight for a 10x binocular, the depth of field is also short and the focus wheel is very sensitive and easily bumped out of adjustment as are the independent lens focus or diopter I think it’s called.

If the glass features were not so good in the EL I'd sell it... and if the range finder and brush mode built into the bushnell fusion were not so good I sell it. One of them has to go though as I don’t need two... and it's going to be a tough decision... but I am leaning toward the EL as it’s not my only Swarovski bino.

I have zero experience with the leica or zeiss.

Last edited:
That's interesting, the Fusion I was using was bouncing back from tree tops at 850 yards.

That's interesting, the Fusion I was using was bouncing back from tree tops at 850 yards.

The left hand switch cycles through the different modes, were you doing that? If it was on anything other than brush mode I could see that happening.

I just used the Swaro and Leica opening weekend at the ranch.

You would be happy with either. Im thinking about switching and I preferred the Swaro just ever so slightly.

You were using the New HD-B Leica? and what swayed you to like the Swaro more?

Does anyone know how far or to what distance a Swarovski El Range 8x42 Rangefinder will range a 12x16" steel plate in field conditions?

My experiance with the Swarovski EL range has been much better than Niles Coyote ( i believe you should send yours into SONA).
I have ranged animals to 1700, a tree to 1700, rock faces to 1800, a fence/post to 1200.
I have had all three of the binos/range finders. Leica was first gen, were not very reliable, failed sent to Lieca they took care of me. Then the Zeiss. Huge improvement over the Liecas, ranging is accurate and reliable glass is amazing.
Now the Swarovskis, i find are a little improvement in every regard over the Zeiss, but just barely. They are both very good but if i forced to choose one it would be the Swaro.

Ranging a 12x16" steel plate I'm sure i would have no problem to 1200. I have out to 900.

Most likely any place that sells $20,000 rangefinders.

This thread is pertinent to my interests. I can get a killer deal on the Zeiss PRF's. I was considering the Bushnell Elite 1600 Arc, but after looking at the PRF, I am leaning that way.

Can anyone who has used a PRF advise me as to how far they were able to range, what was the target, and what was the atmosphere when using it?

From the small sampling of reviews, it appears to be a great addition to the hardware collection (not wanting to spend PLRF-type funds right now on an LRF), so it appears to be a decent model.

Thanks.

Got the Zeiss PRF about 2yrs ago and have been very pleased. ranged trees out to 1450yds, telephone poles at 950yds, deer at 600, and cardboard target (3'x4') at 800yds. These are not necessarily limits but just various targets that i've ranged without any issue at all. Most of these were ranged in bright clear sky or during overcast but clear conditions. Have not done ranging during conditions with rain/snow/fog. Readings were always consistent. I know a lot of people comment on the width of the beam and concerns about picking up readings from surrounding objects but i have not had this issue as evidenced by accurate doping on my scope for shooting at various ranges. Really pleased with the Zeiss and would buy the same product again today if i had to make the choice all over again.

Is anyone concerned that rangefinder technology may evolve faster than optics technology such that 5 years now you have top end glass binocs with outdated ranging circuitry inside? Is this a valid argument for having two separate pieces of kit?

I'm still looking for an answer as to which range finder or range finder binocular can locate a 100% IPSC target at 1000-1200 yards. I know the Vectronix will but if I don't need to spend $2000 on a piece of equipment that can range the Mars Rover and buy something that will range at least 1200 yards I'd love to know.

Is anyone concerned that rangefinder technology may evolve faster than optics technology such that 5 years now you have top end glass binocs with outdated ranging circuitry inside? Is this a valid argument for having two separate pieces of kit?
It has been my reason for keeping my Binos and borrowing a laser as the product seems to change constantly. My Binos were up for sale at one point, glad to be keeping the Kahles I bought for 500.00.

It has been my reason for keeping my Binos and borrowing a laser as the product seems to change constantly. My Binos were up for sale at one point, glad to be keeping the Kahles I bought for 500.00.

I agree with Sporter. Figured my binos will last several years vs my rangefinder may be subject to failure or needing an update based on improving technology.

I'm sorry to the OP as I can't answer his question directly. Yesterday I ranged a skinny concrete factory smoke stack made of grey concrete at 1859 with my bushnel fusion 1600s. I started at about 1400 and worked my way out until I could no longer range it. I could not get to 1860 but got 1859 repeatedly. I have ranged a lot of stuff from that distance in through brush or otherwise. The conditions were early evening. Just barely dark enough for headlights.

On a side note. I have a pair of just over 1yr old Bushnell fusions that I will be putting up for sale in about 2 weeks as soon as I get confirmation that my Terrapin has shipped from PRG. I bit the bullet and ordered a Terrapin this week so I wont be needing these anymore. They are in excellent shape. PM me if youre interested.

On a side note. I have a pair of just over 1yr old Bushnell fusions that I will be putting up for sale in about 2 weeks as soon as I get confirmation that my Terrapin has shipped from PRG. I bit the bullet and ordered a Terrapin this week so I wont be needing these anymore. They are in excellent shape. PM me if youre interested.

I would keep them just for the comps. Only have to carry them instead of binos and rangefinder..

I would keep them just for the comps. Only have to carry them instead of binos and rangefinder..

Nah. Ill just carry my Vortex Binos. I agree though I originally thought about that for the comps but in all honesty, the SH Cup is the only comp where finding your targets like that applies so it would be a once a year usage and not worth it to me to keep both when I already have a nice set of Binos from Vortex. Not to mention this past year, I would find them with mine and still validate with Jons Terrapin since there were so many people getting different readings with all the different LRF's and aiming points An extra pound or 2 to carry at the Cup wont kill me if I have to carry binos and the Terrapin. I was thinking the same thing for elk hunting as binos would be dual usage but considering I probably wont take a shot past 500-700 yards on an elk, my Vortex Ranger LRF should be just fine to hit an Elk or the hillside its standing on. And I'd be hunting with other people with LRFs as well not to mention I could always take the Terrapin if I wanted.

Last edited:
I used to use a Bushnell 1600 ARC to range my white E silhouette out to 1050 and it worked for me during range setup.

Now I have a Vector IV and there is no comparison save the 21/23, it will range day or night and the binoculars are top notch.

The new Steiner 8x30 Military binocular, Mrad reticle and class 1 laser range finder caught my attention at the SHOT show. Getting delivery of one in the next few weeks, it is spec'd for 1,860 yards on par with the Bushnell spec. I will test them out and post results. The larger 10x was much heavier in comparison if that is an issue for anyone.

M30r LRF Military 8x30r LRF | Military Binoculars Steiner Optics

Tag - need to get a rangefinder this year...
The new Steiner 8x30 Military binocular, Mrad reticle and class 1 laser range finder caught my attention at the SHOT show. Getting delivery of one in the next few weeks, it is spec'd for 1,860 yards on par with the Bushnell spec. I will test them out and post results. The larger 10x was much heavier in comparison if that is an issue for anyone.

Tag - need to get a rangefinder this year...

If you want to range IPSC steel consistently at 1k plus in poor conditions (bright sun) get a terrapin and don't look back. I have used a leica geovid and in bright light it could not range my 66% IPSC Target on flat ground past about 750 yards in the mid day sun.

If your targets have a backstop or you don't need consistency in all conditions then get a fusion 1 mile.