• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best rear entry action wrench for model 700 and clone actions

Average guy

Low IQ truth teller
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 25, 2018
    I’m looking to buy a new action wrench for model 700 actions and similar bolt diameter clones. Wondering what everyone is using. I was looking at the Surgeon action wrench that is inserted through the ejection port. Figured I’d ask the group, thank you in advance.

I’ve looked at both of those. I kinda like the idea of the modular wrench.

The Surgeon wrench is excellent. Been using mine for..10? years. Barely a scratch on it. Repeats torque...doesn’t (CANNOT) twist an action at the port.

The Surgeon wrench is excellent. Been using mine for..10? years. Barely a scratch on it. Repeats torque...doesn’t (CANNOT) twist an action at the port.
    Good to hear. I really like the design of their action wrench. Seems compact and easy to use

I like my bighorn/Zermat arms. Used it on bighorns and rem700 so far. I appreciate that it has torque specs listed in it as it’s one less thing I have to remember.

Reactions: Average guy
    You might already know this, but just sayin' don't use a rear-entry wrench on receivers with original factory barrels.
    Usually on gorilla tight, and it's easy to twist the action if too much torque is applied with this type of wrench.

You might already know this, but just sayin' don't use a rear-entry wrench on receivers with original factory barrels.
    Usually on gorilla tight, and it's easy to twist the action if too much torque is applied with this type of wrench.
    For sure. I have a NSS action wrench for that stuff. Just looking for a quick easy wrench for prefits.

You aren't going to twist the action with a rear entry wrench made like a Defiance wrench. The issue with a rear entry wrench is when sideways pressure, in any direction, is applied. If you move the wrench sideways you can bend the receiver. You have to be attentive enough to only apply a twisting force. A T-Handle is your friend.

I've done quite a few with the defiance wrench.

Heat to break down the thread lock, and a t-handle. No issues.