• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best reticle for ELR?

Wyfox

Gun Snob
Minuteman
  • May 24, 2012
    Wyoming
    Just picked up a 338 Norma for ELR and need to pick up an optic. Looking at 2000-3000yds and will eventually get a 300 Norma barrel too.

Looking mostly at Schmidt and Bender, are the H59 and Tremor 3 the best option for ELR?

Open to opinions and suggestions

I shot my 300 Norma out to 2010 yards this past weekend, furthest I’ve ever shot and really have no complaints at all with the reticle.

Have a PMII 5-25x56 with a H59 reticle on a 338LM and works well for me. Some folks like the xmas tree reticles and some don't and just a matter of personal preference. in instances when I have to hold over I feel the H59 is beneficial.

Hi,

Reticles.....the single biggest argument topic in the ELR world lol; which is crazy because it truly is a pure opinion driven decision.

For example I prefer the P4L Fine in S&B but I want to see (pun intended) if I will like the LRR-Mil in S&B.

For example I prefer the Mil-C in NXS.

And Hensoldt...you got no choice lol

Are you a "dialer" or a "holder"?
    Typically holders like the tree reticles better, while dialers like the more traditional reticles :)

Sincerely,
    Theis

I predominately dial but with elr i'll be using a combo of both. I've owned and used both of these reticles in the past and neither is my go to, I just don't want something too thick. The H59 appears to have thicker subtensions than the T3 so I'm leaning towards the T3. The tree just makes sense to me for quick corrections at elr ranges. But I'm also worried about the tree obscuring my view of impacts. I was hoping there was a preffered go to reticle in the elr game, sounds like that's not the case yet.

Sorry. H59 in a s&b Target is just left of the trees on far hill. Had a good time need some better spotting conditions I think that will be one of the biggest challenge for elr
    C7C7652D-3E13-46ED-B6B6-1A1CD3CED345.jpeg
    A03B4428-4FE5-4588-B8AA-9B35584F3C7D.jpeg

Reactions: Bravo6niner
    If you are doing true ELR shooting, you will be shooting at targets which are beyond your scopes capability to compensate for with elevation and windage. In this case, if you don't have a Christmas tree type reticle, you will be holding off into dead space and hoping that you are holding to the correct tenth of a mil. Not the most precise way to do things.

I chose an AMR reticle for my .300NM rig.

Reactions: SageRatSafaris
    ^ I do not know the above statement to be true. Must good ELR choices for scopes have plenty of windadage available to keep you close to your vertical strata. Thus wind holds are still easy.

Mainly your scope should be capable of dialing well past 25mils, the cartridge you select, the capability to get to the target without requiring much more.

The funny thing is whether shooting a 7mm, 30 cal variant, 338 or 375, The decay curves seems somewhat predictable up to about that 25-28 mill requirement. Much past that and the curve quickly become so steep that the incremental range and reduce CEP aren’t worth wasting the ammo. The only difference in the cartridges is where the above drop ends up in the distance from the FFP.

While I like Christmas tree reticles for positional shooting, spotting splash 2000m+ away can sometimes be tough in a cluttered radical.

Reactions: THEIS
    I have been shooting my AI .338LM for about 4 years now. I started with a S&B 5x25 with the T2 reticle and liked it from the start. Last fall Eurooptics made me a great deal on a S&B 3x27 with the H59 reticle. I do like the Christmas tree reticle the best. I have been able to make hits at 2445 yards and was able see my hits without any problem.

Reactions: DIBBS and Wyfox
    Schmidt & Bender 3-27 340 click mil version. I prefer the H59, and have another S&B coming with a tremor 3.
    The floating dot and knowing exactly the POA is important to me. Think about what may be important to you.
    Good luck.
    Chris Schmidt
    Tennessee

Attachments

• 03ECE452-1A0B-4F8F-BD57-8FBBE65DB3B0.jpeg
      03ECE452-1A0B-4F8F-BD57-8FBBE65DB3B0.jpeg
      315.7 KB · Views: 40
    Reactions: Wyfox
    I just bought a new NF 7x35 with a Mil-C. I wish I could have the EBR-2C from the Vortex Razor HD2. I think the Mil-C is the one I'm going to like the most. Though I am having second guesses about passing on the Tremor3. The price is higher but I could afford it. On first, second, and third look at the Trmor3, it looks so busy. Athough, I like a Christmass tree and I'm intrigued by a reticle that offers wind holds. I think I'll try out the Mil-C for now. If I seriously struggle with wind then knowing how popular the Mil-C reticle is (and rightfully so) I can sell it... and get the Tremor3.

Up to the point you can’t dial up anymore , you won’t miss the Tremor 3 . Holding wind in
    free space in the reticle is difficult , unless you are using barn door targets .

Well I picked up a S&B 3-27x56 with the P4fl, not my 1st choice of reticle but it will work just fine. By the way Eurooptic has one hell of a sale on it right now!

Reactions: IntoTransonic