• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best rifle case for an AR

Nemesis Lead

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2014
Alamo, CA
I am looking for a good rifle case for an AR. Must soft sided and wide enough to contain optics. Long enough for a 20 inch AR but not so long that the rifle slides back and forth in the case. Nothing crazy expensive, but nothing crappy as a JP CTR-02 will ride in this case!

This
images

Shouldn't slide once you pack it with beer.

Maxpedition makes some pretty good discreet gun cases. I've been using a TacForce discreet case for years to go to and from the range and comps without any issues, it's actually held up really well and has velcro loops inside to secure rifles and gear. I've heard good things about Galati Gear discreet cases as well.

The Midways soft cases have good storage, and seem to hold up pretty well, I have no complaints and are actually a great fit inside a IM3200. good pricing too while on sale. No fancy name, so if you need the Name then look elsewhere

Looking for something discrete? What stock is on this gun? And finally, define your idea of crazy expensive, how much are you looking to spend on the high end?

My Midway soft case came apart at the seams after two trips to the range. Problem was I had bought it and not used it for a year and a half and when I finally decided to use it lasted a couple of weeks and Midway would no longer honor the warranty since I had owned it over a year. Case was only used to carry the rifle with mounted optics... never got to put anything in any of the outside pockets as it didn't last long enough.

Since it says Midway on it, I decided to duct tape it redneck style so all could experience the quality from afar. Needless to say, I don't recommend the Midway case!

Just so there is no confusion, the one I purchased is the 43" version of the one linked "here".

I have one of the Voodoo Tactical Double cases (42") length and i like it a lot. Fits my fully extended 18" AR no problem so a 20" would fit fine too. Has tons of room for the extras. I keep my stapler, mags for my 10/22 and the AR, bipod, cleaning rod (more for squibs checking than anything), and still have room for much more if needed. As i said my scoped AR fits easily in there with plenty of extra room. Ive carried both the AR plus 10/22 many times as well as the AR and SKS, Garand, or other similar length guns and its been comfortable.

I have a Voodoo Tactical 36" that seems to be holding up well and works well with up to two ARs.

I've had a midway "drag bag" for a few years now and never had a problem.

I use it when I don't feel like lugging a hard case around or when I don't need the protection of one. Even with a ~16 lb bolt gun and a 16" barrel ar (don't know it's weight) I've had zero issue's... apart from the string around the zippers, but nothing a little paracord didn't remedy.

And that larue soft case looks really nice BUT... $230?? I mean, IF it came with the Pelican that would be a hell of a deal but damn... Having said that if they go on sale for say, ~125 I'd probably get one..

Anyways, check out the Midway drag bag I got mine for $60 or there abouts and it has enough room to store just about all of my range stuff. 2 scoped rifles, ammo for both. Spotting scope/ small tripod for it. Hearing protection, staple gun, the list goes on.. It may weigh 40+ pounds and be unwieldy fully loaded but it's held up to all of it.

Tactical tailor +100000000,Made in the USA by Americans, LifeTime Warranty, Ability to add extra padding if wanted after purchase through zippered closure

Longarm, your signature is a bogus Jefferson quote (one of many out there on the internet). Jefferson absolutely deplored democracy and would have never said such a thing. Of course he would have deplored our current welfare state as well which is the point you were making and I agree.

Back on topic, I've never been one to spend much money on gun cases. Both Voodoo and Midway cases have served me well for the money spent.