• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best ruck to carry 50lbs in 5-10,000 elevation

Huskydriver

Not here for a long time but here for a good time
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2018
SLC, Utah
I only know what uncle same lent to me. I have used the cfp-90 rucks before the latest version of the molly rucks and obviously both are less than ideal for comfort. I would like to be able to pack a 3 piece sleep system in there along with extra clothes and food/water with an bolt gun carried either inside or out. I would like to be able to quickly get to the rifle so concealment is not necessarily a priority but is nice if it has the ability to be fully enclosed. I was looking at the Eberlestock packs in particular the G4m operator pack, the terminator pack and the destroyer packs.

Anyone used these or any other eberlestock packs with some feedback or recommendations? I will be up in down the high Unitas here in Utah. I will be living out of this pack for almost a week at a time.

Reactions: Huskydriver
If you want to get great information on packs for load hauling (meat), backpacking, hiking, etc, I'd highly recommending browsing through the rokslide forum. Lots of great info/reviews there. A lot depends on your budget. I'd expand your search to mystery ranch, stone glacier, kifaru, EXO, and seek outside.

I personally run a stone glacier avail on an Xcurve frame (with load cell) and it's incredibly comfortable. I use it for backpacking and hunting/meat hauling. I had a low drag Eberlestock and it was great for the range and short hikes with <35lbs. Anything more and it did not carry well/barreled pretty bad. That being said, it doesn't have a rigid frame and it's not intended to be used as a backpacking/high load carrying pack. Build quality was fine with the Eberlestock but not as nice as my stone glacier and much heavier. All the Eberlestock packs tend to be on the heavy side.

I really like my Kuiu ultra 6000 cu in pack. I carried more than 60 lbs over many miles and several days at 8-10k feet a couple of years ago. It has a game hauling functionality I was unable to test, but looks to work well. But, the bag is one cavernous opening. If you need lots of built in organization it may not be for you. Main pouch, lid pouch, spotting scope pouch, and 2 external pockets. You sacrifice some organization for ultra light.

Look at kifaru and mystery ranch as well.

I’ve had good luck with several different models of mystery ranch rucks. A couple of my buddies run exo mountain gear rucks and they seem to like them. The mystery ranches are a little heavier but can handle serious loads with no problem. If you get an opportunity, I would advise trying out some rucks with weight. Bring a 50lb bag of sand or a 45 lb plate and just see how the different models feel. With the prices of these top brands through the roof right now I would insist on trying before you buy or at least making sure you can return one if you don’t like it.

try before you buy
Very sound advice, each of us is built a little different and what works for one... Go to a place that specializes in packs, and KNOWS how to adjust them for the individual, and try in store. Second the suggestion on Mystery Ranch to start out with.

Also I've had the pre-frame Eberlestock packs with rifle pouch and... they were not comfortable regardless of how I adjusted them with a heavy PRS rifle flopped around, bags, ammo, tripod etc.

Last edited:
Yea that's why I am so concerned. I wish there was a place around here that I could go to try them on and test them. There is no store around here that has several brands and styles so I could try them...maybe a few on amazon prime to test out.

Just put 80ish miles on an EXO 5500.
Highly recommend them.
Will do what you are looking for in spades.
They are located in Boise if you are northern Utah.
I stopped in earlier this summer and they delivered outstanding customer service.

R

SF has given up on large 90lb rucks and switched to this. You can live like a king.

Mule-Carrying-Mk47-SF-Army-Photo-2017-605x381.jpg

Attachments

• 1537921043701.jpeg
    1537921043701.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 36
I am a big fan of my Kifaru. I had owned several nice packs prior including a US made Dana designs and some gregory packs for different activities.

Its the best by far. I like being able to swap the bag from a day hunt or 1-2 nights out size to a monster 7000 ci for a big cold weather hunting trip.
Carrying 40+ lbs in it is quite easy for a long haul.

They won being local to me and US made.

Reactions: scatterbrains
Lol my sled dogs do the load bearing 7 months out of the year I just need something when they are on summer leave fattening up but I appreciate the tips keep them coming the exo 5500 is a new one and looks promising.

Reactions: ZG47A and Dooby
I am partial to Mystery Ranch packs, and they have parallel military and hunting lines. A surplus Marine FILBE pack with the Mystery Ranch Guide Lite frame is a very nice combination.

I've packed mule deer out of the Uintahs and east of Strawberry between 10 and 12,000 feet using an older Arcteryx, and while it worked OK it still kicked my backside in that altitude (and I lived in Park City/Summit County).

I run an EXO MTN Gear and love it, it blows away the Eberlestock and Mystery Ranch bags I've owned in the past. I packed out a bull last weekend with it, my first load was 120 pounds for 3 miles and it carried great.

Last edited:
+1 for the Kifaru.

Before I had the Kifaru, I had packs by Osprey and some other manufacturers. But the combination of external frame and good load support on your hips was a revelation the first time I tried it.

I had tried heavier loads and it was always a pain. Literally and figuratively. But the way that Kifaru has designed their frames to be modular and hip load bearing really.makes heavier weights more manageable.

Now, there is no substitute for conditioning and training. For sure. But if I'm going to go through the pain of training, then I want to also maximize the mechanical advantage I can have.

The Eberlestock is a good tactical pack, as such it has a few ounces/pounds of extra handles and items that you'd never use on a normal hunting pack (aka suitcase handles on both sides to carry it on/off a bird). I'm not a big fan of them, I have never owned one or carried one but I've fondled a lot of them.

I'd go mystery ranch or Kifaru, since you want to carry a bolt gun on it I'd probably lean toward Kifaru as the design more toward the hunter than the tactical.

Not huge like some mention (7000cu), but the best, fastest deployment bag for rifle hunting, IMO. My new favorite pack.

I've been trying to find a pack that can be used to carry an AIAT. Do you think it would be too big for a Vorn pack or could the Vorn fit it fine?

another vote for Kirafu. Hand made in CO USA. Absolutely durable. Innovative design. Very comfortable.

I have two of their packs, both of which are old and no longer produced, but they are as good today as the day they were new. I have hauled a lot of stuff in these things, including big tools like chain saws (although the saw wasn't running while in the ruck :)) and 6x6 timbers.

Expensive? Yes. But will deliver a life-time of value.

I have been running the KUIU ICON Pro 1800, 3200 and 5200; 4 season storm tent, bag and clothing. I have never been more comfortable in all my hunting life. The articulating CF frame really makes a difference. I can haul out a boned cow elk in 3 trips...bull 4-5 depending on size and horns.

On the rifle, I have tried just about everything mentioned except the Vorn. I have settled on and really like the Rifles Only Carbine sling with the QD I carry the rifle in a Solo Hunter cover and run the sling over the pack which takes off the stress and I hit the QD buckle for instant release and use of the firearm.

I've used two I liked in the SAC (An adventure race. 50# in the ruck, walk 45 miles without sleeping, carry a rifle). I ran a Mystery Ranch two years ago and liked it very much. Last year, I tested an Attack Pack Bison and found it to be just a tiny bit more comfortable for my torso. Either is superb.

I tried an Eberlestock GSII the first time I ran the event in 2013. By comparison to the two above, I thought it was awful. It's heavy and it just feels floppy when you load it up. It's fine with 40# or less, but anything north of that made it feel like a limp noodle.

Modern packs have mostly evolved to "internal frame". Most will likely disagree but I find them to be "a potato sack with straps".
In the time I carried a pack a lot with much heavier loads that 50# I liked the frame type Kelty. I wore two out (frames finally broke) and am now on my third. The first two lasted for several years carrying 100-160# loads. I think they broke due to me falling or the pack being dropped hard when fully loaded. You can easily strip the bag off and secure odd shaped loads directly to the frame.

Last edited:
Back in the 1970, I did a lot of backpacking in conjunction with being a Scouting leader, and a family camper. Back then, there was neither the degree of selection, nor the wealth of specialized knowledge, let alone a lot of the materials in use currently. I read up on Backpacker Magazine, and then set about cobbling something up on my own. I made a pair, another one for my Wife, but actually a backup if I was going alone and my pack was Not Serviceable.

Years later, my Wife was showing pictures of our hikes to a coworker and he wanted to know where we got our packs. He bought the pair. I continued to serve as an Adult Scouting Leader over most of what became a span of about forty years, finally ending with my wife's lengthy hospitalization in 2006.

Most of what I did has been surpassed, but a few basic principles still probably apply, maybe even more.

Keep the load higher and closer to the body. Distribute the load contact with the back, I used mesh to do this; in the heat, that removed a lot of physical stress.

Split the load between the shoulders and waist, and use broad, padded straps/belt in those areas. Go over the frame connections (my packs were fabricated using screws) to reduce/eliminate noise. I lubed them with beeswax; noise indicates wear, the wax reduces that, but flexibility is a must.

What goes in needs to be indispensable, or dispense with it. I would have the Scouts all unpack and display their contents. If something did not provide at least two solutions to real problems it got left back at the Scout room. If it involved calories, it got left; we did a lot of per-trip meal planning, and snacks were no small part if that. It's sometimes amazing how much Occam got right the first time. Make a plan, stick to it, learn from the mistakes and do it better next time. Mistakes drive lessons home, and expose the hidden flaws; making them is a necessary part of the learning curve, which is supposed to take time. Trying to cover any/all contingencies in advance is not a viable game plan. Go lean, add only what is necessary. Next time.

Some capacity had to be reserved for common gear; if that stuff ended up being hand carried, it was impeding the trip plan. Everybody got a stuff sack, and was responsible for carrying it and its contents securely.

If my pack outweighed 60lb, it was overloaded. These days, I'd set that limit at more like 40lb. F'gosh sakes, what's it the point of more than that, any course is going to provide more than enough wear and tear on the participant without also turning them into a pack mule. When I went into combat in 'Nam, my pack, if I carried one, was a haversack that probably weighed abut 20-30lb depending on whether I was also hauling MG ammo.

More, but probably not germane to this discussion.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: atomic41 and ZG47A
I do not like the pack or contents up against my back. I like the space a frame provides for air circulation. Avoids chaffing from heavy load on sweaty back.
I do like the load up high on my shoulders.

I’ve had a few packs, but by far the best is my newest, a Kuiu Ultra. Easily
Interchangeble bags on frame. I have the 2200,4000, and 5500 ci bags. I use them for day trips, single overnighter, and multi day adventures. The entire pack assembled weighs under 4 lbs. I posted this in another thread, but the stuff I order from them comes with a return label, so no cost to return. I’ve used that a bit since I’m picky about sizing for layered clothing. Couldn’t be happier.

Edit: one thing I’m not a fan of is their gunbearer. The butt pocket is too small, and the top attachment seems like an afterthought. It’s cheap fortunately, but I’m going to adapt it to work like my kifaru does.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their input...sounds like I need to make a trip to Boise and Denver to try out the exo mtn gear and the karifu's if I cant find any locally to check out. How abrasive resistant are some of these lighter packs like the Kuiu and Karifus? The material says ripstop but from the pics they do not look that durable from abrasion. I shoot off of my pack frequently so it ends up in some rough environments that are not grass.

The LW Kuiu stuff is near fly weight. It will not stand up to daily or hard use. It is made for once a year sheep hunters who need the lightest weight they can get and cost is no object. Shooting off it is another reason to consider a frame pack.

Kifaru isnt light. Built as heavy duty as I have seen.
I have seen mentioned on here that an in person visit to their shop is worth it just for the blonde who works there.
I have no comment, though saving on shipping is always a plus too!

I've been trying to find a pack that can be used to carry an AIAT. Do you think it would be too big for a Vorn pack or could the Vorn fit it fine?
No way. I can stick my super heavy, awkward comp rifle on an MPA chassis in there with room to spare. The straps crank down about half, so I'm positive it would hold AT, and an AX for that matter, with a big scope. I think it will hold any, "normal", large rifle except maybe a .50 or some of those massive ELR rigs. The pocket is big (90% of the width of the pack), and then you crank the straps down to fit our rifle. It would have to be unusually wide not to fit.

Reactions: phlegm
[QUOTE="Huskydriver,] post: 7255392, member: 122358"How abrasive resistant are some of these lighter packs like the Kuiu and Karifus? The material says ripstop but from the pics they do not look that durable from abrasion. I shoot off of my pack frequently so it ends up in some rough environments that are not grass.[/QUOTE]

Do you want to have this pack last a long time (years) of heavy use in the field? If so, I would go with 1000d Condura fabric and not 500d. Heavier, yes, but much more abrasion resistant in my experience (and I have had chain saws inside these rucks). Better water proofing too. For your use - back country of the Uintas, shooting off the ruck in rocks, I would save the weight in some other area and get a bomb-proof pack made of 1000d with very high quality sewing.

The Kuiu icon packs are 500D, and a 5200 ci bag weighs 3lbs. The ultra is 330D HT, and a 5500 ci bag weighs 1.5 lbs. I personally wouldn’t use 1000, that would just be ridiculously heavy imo. I have a kifaru marauder that’s 1000d. My ultra ready to go for a day trip weighs less than that thing does empty. I’ve been bushwahacking my ass off scouting for this season, and the rifle strapped to the side of my pack it taking more wear than the ultras are. I think a lot of us tend to go military grade on everything, but I just don’t think it’s necessary for hunting.

Husky, they’re all cordura, which I’m sure you’re familiar with. I’ve found in general that a seam failure is more likely than a failure in the middle of a panel, regardless of material weight.

Last edited:
Like mentioned Kuiu, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock are all good to go. Kuiu wins in the lightweight department though.

Nope just how I choose to spend my spare time in natures backyard. Just looking for a better solutions than what I currently use and have gotten some good info here.

I am here for days at a time when not at work living out of what I can pack in or the dogs can pull when there is snow.
20151017_124350.jpg

So I spent over 60 days hiking above treeline (10k to 14k feet) this summer, easily 700miles total. In May I bought a pair of Keenes, their nice US-made ones and they literally fell apart by mid August. I spend a lot of time carrying a pack.

I have two packs: an Osprey Kestrel 38L and TAG Mountain Ruck. The Osprey wins hands down. It’s holding together beautifully. No hesitation shooting off it suppressed, muzzle blast might eventually damage it though if you don’t use a can. It can fit a folded 16” RPR, and you could camp out of it for a week if you had ultralight gear and your dog carrying saddlebags.

It may be too small for you, but I’d check out their other packs if that’s the case. Plus, you just look like another hiker on the trail.

The old medium alice pack is actually pretty great when you don't have to wear armor under it. Especially if you can find one with the ergonomic padded belt. Much preferred over MOLLE II for garrison use - Best Warrior, Spur ride, ruck PT, etc.
They're cheap enough, might be worth a try.

Reactions: Ledzep
Id have to agree with everyone saying to try a Kifaru, Sitka, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, Etc., but I would also throw in there an Osprey Atmos AG or Osprey Aether AG. I used the Atmos AG 60 at Mammoth last year and absolutely loved it. I was carrying between 60-75 lbs over roughly 30 miles and had zero hotspots or issues. IT carried the weight well, and I was able to strap my rifle on as well. I probably sold 3-4 of them to guys who were having troubles. Theyre also almost 1/2 the price of Kifaru/Mystery Ranch/ etc (270-300).

Just spent 2 weeks in Idaho hunting mulies. This was my 3rd year up there, hunting 6k-10k feet. I tried eberlestock, badlands, my issued ruck and kelty the first couple years. This year I went up with a Kifaru Fulcrum, huge improvement over the others when it came to comfort and load distribution. I had a lot less upper back strain with the Kifaru over the others and the fit was perfect for securing the load while traversing the steep slopes. In all fairness, there was also a learning curve for me over the years as I figured out how to better pack and secure the load, but the Kifaru frame seemed like a dramatic improvement.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: epaultmbt