• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best selection and smith to build a 375 Cheytac

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    looking at going and building a dream rifle, would you suggest all Lawton parts or Surgeon " if they make an action that can hold it "
    also stocks like manners??
    Most importantly a smith that can machine this dream to a perfect shooting machine.
    thanks
    looking for options and after considering a 338 lapua might as well go the whole way
    Bill

Re: Best selection and smith to build a 375 Cheytac

There are plenty of smiths that can produce this rifle for you. Mike @ Tac Ops, Mark @ LOSOK, and Jered @ American Precison Arms; just to name a few. Just call around and see who can build what you want the quickest.

On the action it is about the same. There are plenty of good actions out there. Surgeon, Stiller, Lawton, etc.... Again just call around and see who can get you what you are aft quickest.

The key here to know what you want when you call these people. They can help you make a decision also but if you know what you are expecting out of the rifle ahead of time things will go much smoother.

I am 98% sure the Surgeon doesn't work for .375 CT, I tought Stiller was going to make one, but not sure on the progress on that. Right now Lawton makes a great action, and Barnard has a PChey action out. Either of those will set you up nicely. Manners is a great stock, and the McRees chassis is a great platform for the CheyTac. Lawton has a lot of experience with the CheyTac stuff, and is a recommended route.

Dave

Call Lawton - they have an enviable amount of experience with that caliber and making rifles for it.

Kirby Allen, Allen Precision Shooting. He is building me an improved version of a 375/408CT on a Bat action. PM me if you want his email address.

Bill,

One of the things you will need to consider are the bullets you plan on using. If you want to use the Hooker Tactical/Lost River/Jamison-CheyTac solid bullets, you will need to have a barrel with the "Lost River Bore" that Lawton makes. If you are going to use the long 7 caliber bullets that Noel Carlson is making, you will need a faster twist than the standard 11.5:1. If you are going to use jacketed bullets, then a standard bore/groove will work. Mine is built on a Lawton 8000 action, Lawton 11.5:1 LR bore barrel, and I have both a Manners stock and a McRee Stock.

Scott Nye

Good Day Bill,

Just as lrs50bmg has pointed out..bullet choice will ultimately be the driving factor in regards to this build. Here are a few details of that.

Option #1 would be the 350gr solids from Jamison Ordnance which is the original LRBT design and specs. For best results with that you will need an 11.5 twist barrel that has bore/groove dimensions spec'd for solid bullets aka Lost River Bore. Requiring the solid projo barrel specs limit you on barrel makers you can choose from but that number is increasing constantly. Lawton would be my first choice. The results of this bullet and barrel combination cannot be argued.

Option #2 would be the 355gr solids from GS Custom Bullets which call for a normal bore/groove dimension spec'd. The twist rate would greatly depend on the stability factor number you wanting. Please see this link that shows stability factor/twist rate factors for this bullet. http://www.gsgroup.co.za/375355SP173.html IMO and if I were going to build a rifle for this bullet I would get a 9.5 twist rate barrel with the normal bore/groove dimensions. That increases the number of barrel makers that you can pick from. My first choice for this barrel would be talking Broughton into making one with 9.5 twist in his 5C rifling profile or get a Pacnor with 10 polygonal or 10 twist 6 groove.

Option #3 would be the long solid projectiles from Noel Carlson. You would have to get in touch him directly to discuss twist rates and other factors. I have a new Lawton 8 twist sitting in the shop right now but have not put it onto action because "Augustus" has already fired the projectiles from his 8 twist. You can search his post and read the results. When the stability, MV, and range results are finalized on these projectiles I will then get barrel to match them.

Once you choose your "option" from above then you can proceed to actions lol. Your choices there include the following:

1. Lawton 8000 and 8500 series, I have couple rifles built on the 8000 series and have nothing negative to say about them. Would be my first choice if building a repeater.

2. Barnard P-Chey, I am building a rifle on this action right now. I really like the features of this action. No tools required to remove firing pin, trigger adjustable in every way imaginable, 3 lug with 60deg bolt throw, no raceways in the action due to bolt body being same diameter as the bolt lugs. Would be my first choice if building a single shot.

3. BAT Machine, I really cannot comment on them as I have no direct experience with them.

4. Xtreme Machine Action (Makers of the 338XT), same comment as the BAT Machine.

5. EDM Arms SA99 (IIRC that was the nomenclature), it was the single shot version actions that EDM Arms made for few years. Great action!! You could call up Bill Ritchie and/or Tom Miller to see if they have one laying around. You could also just put out your WTB feelers for this action. You will be surprised at number of people that are going to have one lol, hell I put out WTB feelers for damn EDM Warlock action and someone on THIS forum had one for sale LOL.

Now once the "option" above is choosen lol you can then proceed to picking a gunsmith to assemble. That is the easiest part of the whole damn thing. Any gunsmith you trust to build any other bolt action for you is the one you pick.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Lawton - they have an enviable amount of experience with that caliber and making rifles for it. </div></div>

Agreed! Im having Bobby (NotaGuru) build me one. We are waiting on the stock from Manners currently and then its off to paint. He has some great knowledge about the rifle it takes to shoot that 375 round and as apparent from the picture thread of Lawton rifles. He builds some freakin sweet rigs! Go with Lawton Machine.

Lawton 8000 or 8500,Lost River Bore if you want extreme distance target ammo,or any regular barrel if just SMK's for hunting purposes. Mcree Precision folding stock.I personaly have a repeater,but had my gunsmith make a follower for me so I can singleshot if I want to.PM me if you would like to have my gunsmith send you pics of his finished rigs.You will not find a better guy and the pricing is very fair. I would make sure you have plenty of twist for the solids.

A smith here in MT had one that a guy backed out on. Not sure if he still has it, kinda doubt it. I hear it shoot very well. He tested it at 3000yards. Don't know specs, have never seen the rifle in person. He is a member of the hide.
    Contact him at:
    longshotrifles at aol.com
    or call at:
    406-278-5138

his hide name is trgrman

you cant go wrong with lawton! like previously mentioned they have tons of experience with the cheytac. i have a 375 on a bat built by lawton and i couldnt be happier with this sweet shooter!

Well well

How about Dave Viers
    grin.gif

Wanna see some of Dave Viers rifles made from Lawton parts
    grin.gif

Here you go
    grin.gif

Cheers,

Master Diver

Range1.jpg

range2.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished1.jpg

SW2.jpg

PC1.jpg

longrange_tactical4_40.jpg

I also chose Lawton for the 375 Cheytac....Bobby is doing alot of testing on bullets and is a good source of information.
    MINE (375 Cheytac) should be ready next week right BOBBY ?

Later,

When those 11.5", and 8" twist Lawton barrels were ordered last summer, your purpose was to bracket stabilization extremes for the 6.0 caliber ZA375's which you were sent for trials if I recall correctly. That 8" twist barrel sitting on Lawton's shop floor will certainly do that with margin to spare.

It was pure (an unexpected) fortune that Augustus's testing of the 6.5, and 7.0 caliber ZA projectiles, in an 8" twist, produced such a finely balanced stability tipping point, that it was possible to distinguish an ~75 fps difference between the two bullets in gyroscopic supression of the overturning moment in the 2,800-2,900 fps velocity range.

Within a couple of months there will be some interesting reports on performance from these projectiles fired from LGT barrels with adequate exit-twist for 3,000+ fps muzzle velocities.

Best,
    Noel

Noel,

Correct. Hey so are you going to make those 6.0 caliber length ZA375s? If so I will chamber my 8 twist end of next week!!!!!

Thanks

Later,

For you, I will do it.

-Noel

My two cents, Lawton is my personal choice. They are certainly not the only ones doing it but Bobby has proven to be a wealth of information and is very generaous with his time. Noel has been equally helpful on the projectile end of the equation and may push the envelope significantly for those willing to commit to the technology.

I am starting with a Lawton action and barrel and will likely go to an LGT barrel down the road. It is apparent that projectile selection is the critical first step.

I intend to take it from there on the smithing. I am using a McRee stock so it's a bolt up. Unless you feel there is something to be gained from "blueprinting" an already high quality action I say try your hand at the assembly unless you don't feel ready to take on some precision assembly.

That's just my take on it. Good luck.

Making this harder and harder, just picked up a 338 lapua to hold me over
    Thanks Bill

Hello, new to this forum and very new to target shooting. Being on a slight budget I cant afford to buy a 'beginners' gun then later on upgrade to something more professional, so even though I may be going about this the wrong way I would like to jump in head first and get a decent rifle to start with (not considering the smallbore .22 i have for practice).

so, after doing some research I decided I wanted to eventually go for F Class/Open and 1000yd benchrest. Being new to the sport I found a rifle that looked and performed awesomely (not sure if thats a real word) - the cheytac M-200 intervention. Yes I know its probably overkill and the weight is waaay over limits but it was a good dream to have. So doing a bit more research (mostly on american websites) I came across Lawton's actions and barrels, so I figured, why not use the best parts of the cheytac M200 but on a different chassis/stock and get the weight correct for competition. What I came up with is:

Lawton 7500/8000 ss 1.450" action
    Lawton .375 30" 8 groove 10-13:1 twist (I need help in deciding appropriate twist rate)
    MAK Tube Gun Tactical Handguard (chassis which takes rem 700 or equivalent actions)
    Magpul PRS AR15 stock + AR15 pistol grip
    Jewell trigger
    Nightforce 5.5-22x50 scope or possibly the 8-32x56

I read somewhere the 7500 action has similar dimensions as the remington 700 so it 'should' fit into the tube gun. Hopefully the picture below will show what it may look like, although I would prefer if the barrel was also black. also no bipod.

6x47lapua2.jpg

Tube Gun

tacticalhandguard.jpg

All comments/suggestions/criticisms welcome I look forward to learning from as many people as i can before making a decision as big as this.

The lawton action you picked is 1.450 and the remington is 1.360. It will not work in a tube chasis. To my knowledge there hasnt been one to fit the larger actions yet? Another thing you run into is most after market actions have a side bolt release. A problem when running a tube chasis. I have been playing with my own "tube" gun. Was wondering if anyone would think it was an advantage over the Mcrees? I am not fond of the look and ergonomics of the Mcrees. I would also like a above bore bipod.

Jason

Yea its a no go on the tube gun stock unless they are willing to make you a custom. There is somebody making the above bore bipod you should contact jimmym40a1 he will help you out there.

I am making my own. I have tried a couple and I am just not satisfied yet. Thanks tho. I may be contacting you soon on a 375 barrel. If I can get some time to work on my own stuff?

Jason

Lawton can make the 7500 in 1.360 i dont see that as too much of a setback. ill try and find out more about the side bolt release issue. with my limited experience I have come across rimfire rifles that utilize the trigger as a bolt release, is this also something that is used for centerfire rifles? what would be the pros/cons of having a seperate bolt release or is it just something thats been done for a long time?

I dont know of anyone doing a trigger release on a center fire action or trigger. You cant build a cheytac in a 7500 the bolt is not big enough for the face. If you are building something smaller then it will work fine. The bolt release is a easy issue to fix.

Paul James,

Did you find that picture on long range hunting?I own that rifle now!It has one of SSG's muzzle brakes on it currently and a different bolt handle also_One of the best rifles I've ever owned.

Advice:I'd say for now to just keep reading up on whats available and looking at pictures of what strikes your fancy.There are so many things to consider before making an informed purchase on a rifle.I'll rattle off some,off the top of my head. It's purpose for use,price,weight,caliber,cartridge,recoil,cost of reloading,barrel life,repeater,single shot,muzzle brake,etc.Then what scope to buy?

There's plenty of opportunity to pick up kick ass used rifles in the for sale section here on the hide also.

I'd be happy to give some advice if you want.Just PM me.

Take your time.It'll save lots of money in the end.
    Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 260 shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing above .33 cal in F-Class and no brake.
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

Silly me I should have looked up what 8mm translates to in other calibres. 8mm = .32
    frown.gif

from the National Rifle Association of Australia

20.1.1.1 - An F Class Open rifle may be of any calibre up to and including 8mm. The overall weight must not exceed 10kg (22 lbs) including all attachments (such as sights and bipod)

20.2.1 - Any bolt action rifle chambered for use with the 7.62x51 Nato (.308)or the 5.56x45 Nato (.223 Rem) is approved for all F class standard competitions

Im not 100% sure of 1000yd benchrest but I think it could be unlimited weight with a maximum calibre of .40. Please feel free to correct me.

So, that throws out my idea for a .375 looks like its back to the ol drawin board

Paul,

buy or have built a .308 Win and shoot it's barrel out, that way you will learn about the sport and also what type of rifle you really want/need. Going in blind and spending a heap of cash is not a great idea IMHO.

Cheers,
    Rath

Great news just ttrraded for a 375 Chey Tac all Lawton action / barrel with a mc millan A-5 stock
    Cant wait to shoot it
    Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul James</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 260 shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing above .33 cal in F-Class and no brake.
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

Silly me I should have looked up what 8mm translates to in other calibres. 8mm = .32
    frown.gif

from the National Rifle Association of Australia

20.1.1.1 - An F Class Open rifle may be of any calibre up to and including 8mm. The overall weight must not exceed 10kg (22 lbs) including all attachments (such as sights and bipod)

20.2.1 - Any bolt action rifle chambered for use with the 7.62x51 Nato (.308)or the 5.56x45 Nato (.223 Rem) is approved for all F class standard competitions

Im not 100% sure of 1000yd benchrest but I think it could be unlimited weight with a maximum calibre of .40. Please feel free to correct me.

So, that throws out my idea for a .375 looks like its back to the ol drawin board
    </div></div>

Best thing you could build for a f-class and 1000 yard rifle is a 6.5x284 or a 6.5x47 lapua. 308 is a ok caliber but you have some advantages going with the 6.5 running it much faster. 6mm's are a possibility as well.

yes ive looked into the 6.5x47 Lapua and it does seem to be a good caliber. only thing now is to source a good action. the Lawton 7000 is probably what im looking for, but does the bolt come bushed or the firing pin fitted? I heard there was some issue with the 6.5x47L operating at a high 63,000 psi which may cause excessive primer flow if the firing pin doesn't fit tight.

anyway I probably shouldnt be hijacking this thread, maybe one day ill get my .375 cheytac but the magic 8 ball says "dont hold your breath." Thanks for the assistance guys I really appreciate it youve steered me onto the right path.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul James</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello, new to this forum and very new to target shooting. Being on a slight budget I cant afford to buy a 'beginners' gun then later on upgrade to something more professional, so even though I may be going about this the wrong way I would like to jump in head first and get a decent rifle to start with (not considering the smallbore .22 i have for practice).

so, after doing some research I decided I wanted to eventually go for F Class/Open and 1000yd benchrest. Being new to the sport I found a rifle that looked and performed awesomely (not sure if thats a real word) - the cheytac M-200 intervention. Yes I know its probably overkill and the weight is waaay over limits but it was a good dream to have. So doing a bit more research (mostly on american websites) I came across Lawton's actions and barrels, so I figured, why not use the best parts of the cheytac M200 but on a different chassis/stock and get the weight correct for competition. What I came up with is:

Lawton 7500/8000 ss 1.450" action
    Lawton .375 30" 8 groove 10-13:1 twist (I need help in deciding appropriate twist rate)
    MAK Tube Gun Tactical Handguard (chassis which takes rem 700 or equivalent actions)
    Magpul PRS AR15 stock + AR15 pistol grip
    Jewell trigger
    Nightforce 5.5-22x50 scope or possibly the 8-32x56

I read somewhere the 7500 action has similar dimensions as the remington 700 so it 'should' fit into the tube gun. Hopefully the picture below will show what it may look like, although I would prefer if the barrel was also black. also no bipod.

6x47lapua2.jpg

Tube Gun

tacticalhandguard.jpg

All comments/suggestions/criticisms welcome I look forward to learning from as many people as i can before making a decision as big as this.
    </div></div>

Ask Jense Precision. He is an excellent custom rifle builder who is now the lead gunsmith actually making MAK tubeguns today. I highly respect his opinion, his worksmenship is second to none and this comes from my owning a dozen or so MAK tubeguns over the years.

http://jenseprecision.com/

http://jenseprecision.com/mak-tube-guns.html

Re: Best selection and smith to build a 375 Cheyt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul James</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes ive looked into the 6.5x47 Lapua and it does seem to be a good caliber. only thing now is to source a good action. the Lawton 7000 is probably what im looking for, but does the bolt come bushed or the firing pin fitted? I heard there was some issue with the 6.5x47L operating at a high 63,000 psi which may cause excessive primer flow if the firing pin doesn't fit tight.

anyway I probably shouldnt be hijacking this thread, maybe one day ill get my .375 cheytac but the magic 8 ball says "dont hold your breath." Thanks for the assistance guys I really appreciate it youve steered me onto the right path. </div></div>

Paul if your looking to get into F-Class or other comps you may want to think about a single shot in a dual port for speed and added accuracy. The firing pin in a lawton comes ready to use with this and there is no need of bushing the firing pin hole.

thanks for that ranger i will definitely take a look at that website.

Ive heard single shots were more accurate but I havent figured out why. With a repeater isnt there something you put into the magazine slot to make it work like a single shot? and if so how would this differ from a true SS?

Because of the amount of metal you have to take out of the action to get the mag port in it. It greatly increases the harmonic because and you dont leave much material behind the bottom lug. The plate you put in it will not affect the harmonics.

heh about to show off my noobishness but just to make sure im on the same page:

a single shot rifle has no magazine. it requires you to insert a bullet after each shot.

a repeating rifle (I dont know what else it is called) has a magazine and differs from a semi-automatic in that it shoots a single round and the action needs to be manually cycled for the next shot.

ggarrett1911 has set me up !!!! BIG TIME

Beautiful rifle single shot left ported right bolt 32" barrel
    McMillan A5 Stock jewell trigger

here is a pic of the 338 lapua and the 375 chey tac
    IMG_2360_0526.jpg

Just what I wanted !!!!!!

Thanks Gregg