• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Self-timing Muzzle Brake out there?

20180911_204032.jpg

Scott's brake is basically a 4 port brake.heres height comparison with LB
Both brake are same diameter

Reactions: kingston
I’ve never had the seizing problem with the 419 brakes other have been getting, but I also am constantly swapping their silencer mounts and the brakes back and forth depending on the day and what I’m shooting.

How many rounds are you all getting before it’s seized up?

They might also be cranking them on too tight in the mindset of 'more is better' . . . tapers don't need much to mate and align . . .

I just got my VG6 Lambda in today. Fit, feel, and finish is pretty damn good. Pretty damn sizable. View attachment 6936264As soon as my barrel nut arrives I'll head out and get a feel for it. Buddy put on his 308 and the reduction was pretty damn rad. Anxious to see what it does on a 6.5

How do you like the lambda brake? Any difference between it and the MPA brake... assuming you had it come with your rifle. I am interested in the lambda for my 6.5, but no reviews on it thus far.

How do you like the lambda brake? Any difference between it and the MPA brake... assuming you had it come with your rifle. I am interested in the lambda for my 6.5, but no reviews on it thus far.
I really like it. Never had the mpa brake. I built this rifle off a Nucleus action. The rifle barely moves. The self timing feature works great. I don't shoot with others so I can't comment on how brutal it is towards the sides.

Everyone claims their brake is the best, or reduces recoil by X%, with zero evidence to back it up and everyone believes it. LOL

A few people on youtube have dome some sort of hilljack testing by stapping the rifle to some cradle, measuring rearward displacement during recoil, and comparing it to a baseline (typically no brake). As crude as those tests are, they are miles better than the unsubstantiated claims made by just about everyone who makes brakes.

And then there's this: http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/ The winner is the one nobody buys...LOLOL

I've had an Area 419 Hellfire for a while, along with an APA Fat Bastard. The APA wins hands down for recoil reduction IMO (the 17lb 300wm it's on kicks less than my 15lb 6.5 Creed with 419 - granted this is subjectively shooting side by side). I recently picked up and began using the PVA JetBlast as well. PVA reduces recoil well (similar to 419 but maybe not quite as good), but what really gets me is the lack of concussion I get from the PVA vs the overs.

The thread reducer on top of the timing nut in between the muzzle brake and the barrel would be a little too much tightening back and forth in my case and kind of puts me off; although it might have the desired effect for others and their rifles. I would have to hear from several folks who have actually experienced what it claims it does. I don't think I'd switch from the PVA for it, so far it has been the best I've seen and that includes most of the big well known and expensive brands.

Area 419 for the win. So easy to install that even I could do it without messing it up

Installs as easy as the PVA. Don't want to start anything but these days installation of most self timing muzzle brakes is accomplished with the timing nut so literally all of them can be easily installed.

Yeah, just wish they’d make it in 5/8x24 so we could run without the reducer. That both just weirds me out for some reason, and makes me wonder how huge it is on the end of the barrel

The thread reducer on top of the timing nut in between the muzzle brake and the barrel would be a little too much tightening back and forth in my case and kind of puts me off; although it might have the desired effect for others and their rifles. I would have to hear from several folks who have actually experienced what it claims it does. I don't think I'd switch from the PVA for it, so far it has been the best I've seen and that includes most of the big well known and expensive brands.
would you put PVA jet blast over the heathens ? If you have used heathers of corse . Any insight on this would be appreciated .

would you put PVA jet blast over the heathens ? If you have used heathers of corse . Any insight on this would be appreciated .
Have not used a Heathen brake and of course anything I and everybody else posts always has personal bias based on preferences built into it but by looking at it I have two things where the PVA beats the Heathen, first is price, second the knurled timing nut which looks cool but if you get some carbon buildup and you want to take it off for cleaning, or to replace it with a thread protector, or a can, the PVA I can always loosen with a wrench, the knurled nut not so much unless I wouldn't mind butchering it. You'd have to turn it with something inserted through the baffles which I'm not a big fan of. Most muzzle brakes will give you some reduction in recoil, most of the self timed brakes install easy via timing nut; the differences are in how well you are able to observe impact for the follow through, if your neighboring lanes will get upset at you because they get hit with concussion, or debris, how loud the brake is, material longevity, and price. All that besides personal sense of aesthetics and belief in the designers description, or in some cases accompanying data, or videos. I can base my preference for the PVA on my experience with different muzzle brakes while in the service, some custom brakes, the Kahntrol, Area 419, Fat Bastard, and a Dead Air Key Mount brake. Like I said I personally like the much lesser recoil, the price, the ability to be consistent in my follow through when I am able to witness the impact, the design with the wrench friendly self timing nut and the fact that my neighbors don't get riled over the concussion. I'm not out to denigrate anyone else's preferences I can only speak for myself and I happen to be most impressed with the PVA so far. I hope this helps

Muzzle brakes and more’s beast has worked really well for me at an affordable price

Yeah, just wish they’d make it in 5/8x24 so we could run without the reducer. That both just weirds me out for some reason, and makes me wonder how huge it is on the end of the barrel
I have a self timing PVA shock wave for sale 30 caliber with 5/8x24 thread ,pm me if interested

Not sure if it's the most effective, but the TS Customs self timing brake is probably the cleanest looking. No nut and contours nicely.

View attachment 6943314

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder because I don't find anything about that brake appealing.

APA Little Bastard Gen 2 brakes for myself, everyone else is just trying to play catch up or reinvent the wheel.

Last edited:
For the guys that have a Heathen what it them total length measurement of the break?

Love the apa little bastard although shooting prone in the dirt will give you a good cloud of dust. i think that any break efficent enough to reduce recoil by a good amount is going to have this issue

Reactions: tex68w
Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder because I don't find anything about that brake appealing.

APA Little Bastard Gen 2 brakes for myself, everyone else is just trying to play catch up or reinvent the wheel.

Nice to have options.. really don't care for the big nut on the muzzle most of these baked have.

Apa, easy wrench on to make sure of correct tightness. Area 419 is nurled and rounded, I prefer to check my tension with a wrench.

I prefer to not have to have a tool to tighten it up. It's another thing you have to lug around. Sucks when you are shooting a match and your APA brake comes loose, and you don't have a wrench to tighten it - ask me how I know...

I started with an APA, but don't see myself ever going back to it. The Area 419 is okay, works decently but gets carbon locked easily. The Insite Arms Heathen is the best rendition of a self timing brake out there from my experience.

Reactions: kevinsachs
Apa, easy wrench on to make sure of correct tightness. Area 419 is nurled and rounded, I prefer to check my tension with a wrench.
the 419 base is wrench tightened -- then the outer mates to the cone, centering it and effectively holding it in place.. It does not need to be overly tightened by hand.. That said, I have the APA, 419 and Insite Arms Heathens all on 6.5s - of all of them the 419 is the weirdest on my groups

I've got the PVA shockwave, I have no doubt the jet blast would perform just as well. But it's been great, the 7mm mag is easy to spot hits at all distances. Honestly I think perceived recoil is splitting hairs and with all these competition calibers any (quality) choice would keep you on target.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
View attachment 6943423received Scott's brake today.the finish and machining is so precise look and built well..will try and compare with my 419 and LB soon
@bjay did you get a chance to shoot Scott’s brake prone? I’m very curious if it kicks dirt and dust back onto the shooter. I own every big brand brake they all do it...the PVA jet blast is probably the least so far.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Area 419 if I want to be able to switch easily between a brake and a can. I really like Area 419s attention to detail (packaging, tools, etc.)

APA if I know I'm not going to run a can.

Haven't tried a Heathen yet

Reactions: MountainHunter
Just had a Heathen installed on a 6XC. Biggest difference I notice compared to a 419 Hellfire is the Heathen doesn't direct as much concussion back towards the shooter - making it more pleasant IMO.

@bjay did you get a chance to shoot Scott’s brake prone? I’m very curious if it kicks dirt and dust back onto the shooter. I own every big brand brake they all do it...the PVA jet blast is probably the least so far.
No it doesn't..it dont have bottom port nor angled port towards shooter like LB

Reactions: kingston
Just had a Heathen installed on a 6XC. Biggest difference I notice compared to a 419 Hellfire is the Heathen doesn't direct as much concussion back towards the shooter - making it more pleasant IMO.

Nice, I just picked one up too. I plan to compare it to the 419 Hellfire and also the 419 Sidewinder to see what they are like for both recoil reduction as well as reduced back pressure/blast on the shooter.

With a little modification I got the seekins atc to work on my Bergara lrp

Attachments

• 074C8CF6-1806-46DB-BB6E-2CFB62B1B1FE.jpeg
    074C8CF6-1806-46DB-BB6E-2CFB62B1B1FE.jpeg
    519.9 KB · Views: 66
I’ve never had the seizing problem with the 419 brakes other have been getting, but I also am constantly swapping their silencer mounts and the brakes back and forth depending on the day and what I’m shooting.

How many rounds are you all getting before it’s seized up?

How do you like swapping them back and forth? I am thinking of running this setup on a couple different barrels.

Nice, I just picked one up too. I plan to compare it to the 419 Hellfire and also the 419 Sidewinder to see what they are like for both recoil reduction as well as reduced back pressure/blast on the shooter.

Did you notice a difference in the two?

I own both and I certainly do. Heathen is the better brake for recoil reduction and there is less blast to the shooter.

I have the Hellfire was wondering the how it compared to the sidewinder. How did you measure the recoil of the Heathan?

I have the Hellfire was wondering the how it compared to the sidewinder.

I've tested the Sidewinder and Hellfire back to back on a Dasher. Just threw it on a barricade and fired a few shots for a seat of the pants impression, swapped back and forth between the brakes a few times. Sidewinder did have a touch less recoil and jump, not a drastic difference thouch. Also had more back pressure and felt louder.

I shot one match with the Sidewinder and didn't do great, I got kinda jumpy and slapped the trigger a lot. Went back to the Hellfire and did much better the next two matches. Might have been the brake, maybe just my mental state. I can be a touch sensitive to blast/noise and I have to work to maintain a true zero movement trigger pull with no anticipation or flinch, so that's why I'm exploring different brake options. I've not given up on the Sidewinder yet either, will probably give it another try when I compare Hellfire and Heathen brakes.

I have the Hellfire was wondering the how it compared to the sidewinder. How did you measure the recoil of the Heathan?

By shooting them. Same rifle, same loads, same day. Go back and forth between the brakes on strings of fire.

By shooting them. Same rifle, same loads, same day. Go back and forth between the brakes on strings of fire.
Okay wasn't sure if you had a way of precisely measuring the actual recoil of them other than just the felt recoil. How does that brake mount to the rifle? Any special adaptor like the Hellfire?

I've tested the Sidewinder and Hellfire back to back on a Dasher. Just threw it on a barricade and fired a few shots for a seat of the pants impression, swapped back and forth between the brakes a few times. Sidewinder did have a touch less recoil and jump, not a drastic difference thouch. Also had more back pressure and felt louder.

I shot one match with the Sidewinder and didn't do great, I got kinda jumpy and slapped the trigger a lot. Went back to the Hellfire and did much better the next two matches. Might have been the brake, maybe just my mental state. I can be a touch sensitive to blast/noise and I have to work to maintain a true zero movement trigger pull with no anticipation or flinch, so that's why I'm exploring different brake options. I've not given up on the Sidewinder yet either, will probably give it another try when I compare Hellfire and Heathen brakes.

Yeah the Hellfire does a pretty good job at sending the pressure back towards you. I could imagine the Sidewinder would be more.

Okay wasn't sure if you had a way of precisely measuring the actual recoil of them other than just the felt recoil. How does that brake mount to the rifle? Any special adaptor like the Hellfire?

No special adapter. It threads on and it's self timing, designed for the end user to install themselves. Order it in whatever threads your barrel is threaded for, and you are good to go.

No special adapter. It threads on and it's self timing, designed for the end user to install themselves. Order it in whatever threads your barrel is threaded for, and you are good to go.

Yeah I've seen them before just never off a barrel.