• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best semi auto 22lr for suppression

Alderleet

NCOIC of Shitposts
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Downrange
Well, im currently running around online looking for ideas on projects.

The problem I'm having is which 22lr semi-auto will run the best during extended suppressed shooting sessions.

I've got a M&P 15-22 now, and around the 200rd mark, the receiver and bolt get so filthy that it starts having issues with light strikes and extraction (firing pin gets gummed up, as well as teh extractor cut-out)

I'm looking for another semi auto 22 that would run better suppressed. I love my M&P 15-22, but I want something i can burn a couple boxes through in a sitting (Im talking any and all ammo. Fed bulk pack, to disgusting aguila subsonics), and have it run great.

I really dont care about match accuracy, because i'm looking for reliability first and foremost.

I looked at the GSG5, but from other users experience, they clog up quicker than the 15-22
frown.gif

Any words of wisdom?

Re: Best semi auto 22lr for suppression

I haven't cleaned my 10/22 in about 500 rounds and still is reliable. I won't clean it until accuracy drops off or it quits running.

With that said, it isn't a stock 10/22 with its VQ trigger components and Kidd Barrel. My suppressor will be here when the Inspector is done with my paperwork so I can't give an exact answer on extended periods suppressed.

I'm pretty my M1S and my Spikes (Spectre) has shot at least a few hundred between cleanings.
At least a couple of my CLE with Fed 714, SK, RWS Target Rifle, PMC Match during testing sessions.

You may be asking too much of a 22lr firearm. Personally I've never had one that was flawless in performance. The dirtier they are the more finicky they get.

I know, im just looking for something that takes a bit longer than the rest before it shits the bed on me while at the range.

I guess i'm searching for the AK47 of the 22lr realm

Well, if one were to pick a 22lr model to label the "AK47" of 22's I'd say that would fall squarely on the Ruger 10-22.

I'd say the 10-22. I have two of them and they haven't let me down. Plus there is a huge after market.

they make a scar .22 look alike that might be up to the task. They are around $400

Marlin 795 or model 60 would be an okay build for a suppressor. Ones clip and ones tube fed. Boyd mentioned coming out with one of their tacticool stocks later in the year for it.
Aftermarket support for them is steadily growing as well and they kick a 10/22s butt in accuracy right out of the box.

Now if it we me I would get the savage Model: 64 TRR-SR
64trrsr.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they make a scar .22 look alike that might be up to the task. They are around $400

Marlin 795 or model 60 would be an okay build for a suppressor. Ones clip and ones tube fed. Boyd mentioned coming out with one of their tacticool stocks later in the year for it.
Aftermarket support for them is steadily growing as well and they kick a 10/22s butt in accuracy right out of the box.

Now if it we me I would get the savage Model: 64 TRR-SR
64trrsr.png
</div></div>

I suspect this will hard to clean, since like the Walther/Colt and HK416, the actual receiver is an internal casting separated on the longitudinal and held together with machine screws.

10/22s can run for a pretty long time with no evidence of maintenance, though I have no experience with one with a can.

I think that a good dedicated AR upper may be the answer to your problem. I have a spikes .22 upper that I have run at least 750 rounds through in one range session and have had no issues. It was dirty as hell at that point, but it went bang every time I pulled the trigger.

Get a 10/22 then spend another $13 on the KID Guide Rod and Spring assembly kit. It contains 3 springs and the white tipped spring is for running a suppressor. You won't have any issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dumapus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a 10/22 then spend another $13 on the KID Guide Rod and Spring assembly kit. It contains 3 springs and the white tipped spring is for running a suppressor. You won't have any issues.
</div></div>
Something I did not know... www.coolguyguns.com (KIDD) here I come! Thanks for the tip!

How about a Sig 522?

I have one that runs like a raped ape..... two buddies of mine have one as well with the same results. The guns just run forever without jamming.

-Tdog

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dumapus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a 10/22 then spend another $13 on the KID Guide Rod and Spring assembly kit. It contains 3 springs and the white tipped spring is for running a suppressor. You won't have any issues.
</div></div>

I was going to suggest the same thing. I would also add an extractor to the mods. My 10/22 has seen thousands upon thousands of rounds so it doesn't need the guide rod but my brother's was a jam machine...these two things fixed that. It hasn't jammed since the install.

I like my Tac Sol m4 upper, but I would be hard pressed to not reccomend a Ruger 10/22. I dont' think I have ever had a problem with my Upper and the accuracy is good enough. I have found it to run flawlessly with CCI SV and the Silencerco Sparrow.

Been playing with a SBR 10/22 for the last year working out how to keep it running suppressed.
I have come up with a pretty good regiment for doing so and would now recomend the Ruger 10/22 action for your purposes.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...191#Post1857191

Just get a can of Hornady Dry Lube / Cleaner and a Tactical Solutions extra power action spring and you are well on your way.

my sig mosquito is a lot of fun to shoot suppressed but needs to be kept clean so is the AR upper from tactical solutions.

Alderleet, just curious...do you have trouble with all ammo at the 200rnd mark? I use Fed Bulk and my 15-22 always runs great. I get a failure to feed here and there though. But they are usually from rushing when I load the mags. Oddly it hates CCI Mini-Mags though. That surprised me.

If I was to look for another semi-auto I would probably look 10/22. It's not really the same to me though. I like my 25rnd mags on the 15-22 and dont like that you need those huge banana mags for the 10/22. But I do like that they have that new Arch Angel Marauder stock. Makes the 10/22 look pretty cool. Plus I believe it comes with AR like mags. That, plus all the upgrades for a 10/22, I would probably build one that way. Allows you to swap out the stock to something else later. Thats my next .22 project.

Well its not neccesarily a problem with bulk pack fed, but if I use standard velocity lead, it gets all shitty and clogs up.

I'd love to use bulk pack fed, but the damn ammo always comes out supersonic. My sparrow does amazing with subsonic, especially when my 15-22 cycles it.

But like I said, I use a suppressor to be "quiet".

I truely wish that federal would release a subsonic version of their plated bulk pack line. That would be amazing, and prevent me from spending 4-5 bucks a box of dirty ass lead/wax subsonic

Alderleet,

For a good bulk pack inexpensive solution for suppressed use consider the Federal Auto-Match. (Part # AM22)
193520.jpg

It comes in 325 round bulk packs and is widely available @ WalMart for ~$15 a box.
The accuracy is exceptional, misfires are very rare, and it is very clean for a not plated cartridge.
They typically stay subsonic at temperatures over 70F with the occasional sonic crack every 10 rounds or so.

Another bulk cartridge that has worked well for me is the Remington Thunderbolt.
599864.jpg

It is also available at WalMart for around the same price.
The only down side to the Remington is that the reliability is terrible.
At least one in 50 will fail to ignite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Another bulk cartridge that has worked well for me is the Remington Lightning.
599864.jpg

It is also available at WalMart for around the same price.
The only down side to the Remington is that the reliability is terrible.
At least one in 50 will fail to ignite.
</div></div>

There's no such thing as Remington Lightning. Either Remington Thunderbolts or Federal Lightning, and your picture is of Thunderbolts, so I'm guess that's it.

Lightning 22 comes in light blue boxes and sells for $1.47 at ChinaMart.

pix309897171.jpg

CMMG dedicated 22LR upper runs really well with everything i've tried in it suppressed with a Liberty Kodiak TL. CCI Subsonics, REM subsonics, and Federal Maroon box bulk.

I've never shot over 250 rounds at a single sitting suppressed but at 250 rounds, it has never malfed.

I've got the full stainless bolt group in mine. Running BlackDog mags.

Did run about 2000 rounds suppressed through a transferrable M16 with ciener upper on it. It ran about 98% and was never cleaned during the session. Just a Ciener conversion in a 1:9 5.56 upper. Man, I bet it filled that Outback II up though!

-David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well its not neccesarily a problem with bulk pack fed, but if I use standard velocity lead, it gets all shitty and clogs up.

I'd love to use bulk pack fed, but the damn ammo always comes out supersonic. My sparrow does amazing with subsonic, especially when my 15-22 cycles it.

But like I said, I use a suppressor to be "quiet".

I truely wish that federal would release a subsonic version of their plated bulk pack line. That would be amazing, and prevent me from spending 4-5 bucks a box of dirty ass lead/wax subsonic</div></div>

Gotcha. I never fire lead through my 15-22. Read a few threads on the 15-22 forum that people ended up having trouble with lead after awhile. Just like you seem to have. After a lot of rounds continuously (or uncleaned) it started to malfunction. I always use copper just cause. Only trouble is the extra cost really.

Well, i finally ponied up the initiative and sent federal a request.

I asked for them to produce another type of their 550rd bulk pack 22lr, that would only have a muzzle velocity of about 1k fps or less.

Hopefully they'll listen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsalbrig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dumapus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a 10/22 then spend another $13 on the KID Guide Rod and Spring assembly kit. It contains 3 springs and the white tipped spring is for running a suppressor. You won't have any issues.
</div></div>

I was going to suggest the same thing. I would also add an extractor to the mods. My 10/22 has seen thousands upon thousands of rounds so it doesn't need the guide rod but my brother's was a jam machine...these two things fixed that. It hasn't jammed since the install. </div></div>

No probs so far with my 10/22 suppressed,and I don't go nuts cleaning,but this my be some extra reliability,I do have a VQ trigger group and extractor already.Heard the Kidd is a better trigger,not too impressed with the VQ for the price.

I'll second the Sig 522. I recently put two 550 round boxes of Federal bulk through mine, and it functioned flawlessly. Yeah, it was pretty dirty after 1100 rounds, but not a single issue.

These guns are known to digest just about anything you load into them, including subsonic. Comes can-ready with a threaded barrel too.

They're not cheap, but they're reliable and just plain fun to shoot.

The reason i wont get a sig 552 is that when run suppressed, gasses vent between the lower and upper in that small crack at the rear. Ironically, this crack, is right next to your face when you fire (damn near under your shooting glasses)

I'm sure I could tape it off, but why bother. The issue wont "go away".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason i wont get a sig 552 is that when run suppressed, gasses vent between the lower and upper in that small crack at the rear. Ironically, this crack, is right next to your face when you fire (damn near under your shooting glasses)

I'm sure I could tape it off, but why bother. The issue wont "go away".</div></div>

I never realized that was the case with the Sig. I don't think I would buy it with that being the case. Who wants to deal with that every time the shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gachrid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason i wont get a sig 552 is that when run suppressed, gasses vent between the lower and upper in that small crack at the rear. Ironically, this crack, is right next to your face when you fire (damn near under your shooting glasses)

I'm sure I could tape it off, but why bother. The issue wont "go away".</div></div>

I never realized that was the case with the Sig. I don't think I would buy it with that being the case. Who wants to deal with that every time the shoot. </div></div>

Lots of positive reviews out there on suppressed 522s. Keep in mind that this is a pretty popular platform to put a can on, so there's more than enough information available to make an informed decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no such thing as Remington Lightning. Either Remington Thunderbolts or Federal Lightning, and your picture is of Thunderbolts, so I'm guess that's it.

Lightning 22 comes in light blue boxes and sells for $1.47 at ChinaMart.

pix309897171.jpg

</div></div>

Correct, although they seemingly changed the box at some point:

IMG00044-20090319-2045.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">I put this together with most of the pieces parts coming from Tactical Solutions. Kidd trigger and Trijicon RedDot. Only the stock is Ruger. I can put a 525 pack of Federal though it without much of a problem.</span>