• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Best single malt scotch

Sharpshooter3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2018
What is your favorite single malt scotch for the under $100 per bottle range. I have always enjoyed Johnny Walker scotch but a friend and I have started down the rabbit hole of single malts, so far I have tried Macallan, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddech, and Aberlour. I liked the Macallan the best.

Reactions: zoisrus
Bourbon haha.

On all seriousness I am a Balvenie Fan.

If you like Scotches try some single malt Irish as well, very tasty. The 16 year knappogue castle is really nice.

Reactions: abizdafuzz
Bunnahabhain 12 is very good and inexpensive. I have an old bottle of 18yo that is oh so smooth.
Have you tried the peated scotches Lagavulin Lephroaig and Ardbeg to name a few.

Be careful as this hole goes very deep.

Ask me how I know!

I haven't had a a chance to try any of those but I'm headed to the city this weekend and my friend requested I pick up a bottle of Lagavulin, so we will know more about that one by next weekend haha.

I’ve heard you gota swish it to get all the flavor. That a thing?

No need to swish... it is generally recommended to let it roll across the tongue front to back and then side to side before swallowing, but I wouldn't worry to much about that. Sure it may help decide which part of the tongue is picking up the flavor, but it's still very difficult for most of us to pick out the different flavors this way.

Instead if you're interested in improving your taste perception do head to head tastings.

It's amazing the differences you can pick out when you have 2 different cups to compare against each other. It's just like shooting, in that the more you practice picking out the differences in head to head tastings the more differences and flavors you'll be able to pick out.

I've been lurking but registered to reply.
Oban, Talisker, Kilchoman (Machir Bay), Laphroig (quarter cask), Lagavulin 16, Tamdhu, Glenmorangie (Nectar D'or), Balvenie (double wood, Caribbean), Ardbeg.

Personnaly I feel $60-80 is often the sweet spot for really good scotch. Sure a few more years smooths it some, but it's usually not needed.

I have tried Scotch straight and with a touch of water, ice and no ice and no ice with just a touch of bottled water makes the flavors really come out, try it every way and see for yourself. As to brands the best is whichever you like, I have had $200 bottles of single malt and they weren’t appreciably better than a Balveine 12yr or a GlenMorangie 18 yr at half the cost. Again, the best is which one appeals to your palate.

I second having multiple ones to taste back to back. My buddies and I do this often with Bourbon especially but sometimes scotch and Irish whisky. Amazing what you can pick up with the different ones back to back.

Reactions: diverdon
distilled water right? not tap as I remember

Glendronach 12 year is pretty tasty. aged all 12 years in a sherry cask, smooth as butter from memory. It has been a while, though I have a fresh bottle here I am thinking of cracking one of these days. I was going to this weekend, was already so tired when we got home from our dinner and had an early. morning coming.
I like the ones mentioned as well. be ready for the smoke with the Lagavulin!

Reactions: vivdav
Balvenie Doublewood
Dalmore 12

These are my 2 favorites if I want a scotch, both are in the $50-$60 range. Personally I think the Dalmore is sweeter, and when I say sweeter I mean sweet as in the way prunes or raisins are sweet. Doublewood is more oaky/vanilla-y if that makes sense. Flavor is pretty subjective though, TimeWillTell likes shit that tastes like seaweed burnt on a shitty sod fire then dunked in saltwater. He’s weird like that.

To me, scotches don’t slap you in the face with flavor like bourbons do, they’re more subtle.

Balvenie Doublewood
Dalmore 12

These are my 2 favorites if I want a scotch, both are in the $50-$60 range. Personally I think the Dalmore is sweeter, and when I say sweeter I mean sweet as in the way prunes or raisins are sweet. Doublewood is more oaky/vanilla-y if that makes sense. Flavor is pretty subjective though, TimeWillTell likes shit that tastes like seaweed burnt on a shitty sod fire then dunked in saltwater. He’s weird like that.

To me, scotches don’t slap you in the face with flavor like bourbons do, they’re more subtle.
Glad to see you back JG. I do appreciate a Laphraoige or Laugavulin but I'll stick with Bourbon 90% of the time.

Reactions: BadDogPSD
distilled is technically c
I have tried Scotch straight and with a touch of water, ice and no ice and no ice with just a touch of bottled water makes the flavors really come out, try it every way and see for yourself. As to brands the best is whichever you like, I have had $200 bottles of single malt and they weren’t appreciably better than a Balveine 12yr or a GlenMorangie 18 yr at half the cost. Again, the best is which one appeals to your palate.

Have you tried adding a few drops of water after every 3 or 4 sips?

I was a bit surprised to see just how much the flavor opened up and changed the first time I tried adding water as I went.

distilled is technically c

Have you tried adding a few drops of water after every 3 or 4 sips?

I was a bit surprised to see just how much the flavor opened up and changed the first time I tried adding water as I went.
Just like load workup I am always game for testing new things, I’ll give that a try.

I enjoyed Laphroig, Oban and other smoky peat bombs in the 90’s, but settled on Cragganmore about 15yrs ago. More refined flavors, not such a challenge to enjoy.

Get some scotch stones. They are rock cubes you keep in the freezer to keep your scotch cold without diluting it. I like Laphroig. It’s a bit too Smokey and peaty form most. It’s genetic if you like it. You either hate or love it. Just have to have the gene.

Dewar's White Label is honestly very good for the price, and it is now my everyday sip.
For special occasions, such as this past weekend, I like to dig a little deeper into the pocket. The Glenfiddich 18 Special Reserve was just near perfect.

When it gets very cold, I like to switch from the Highlands to the Islay varieties, and Bowmore will make you fart a smoke ring.

Reactions: DrainTheSwamp2017
Glendronach, 12 or 15 year . My holy grail scotch
Oban, Balvinie, laphroig, lagavulin. All are really nice and have lots to offer.
Pretty much drink JW Black for blended.

Reactions: vivdav
Many of the older meaning bottled years ago not aged old are better than the recent stuff.
That is also true for bourbon. A older bottle of buffalo trace bourbon blows away a recent bottling.
High production = lower quality.

Glenlivet 16 "Nadurra"... if you can find it.

That is my favorite. There are 2 kinds now, regular, and sherry cask.
They took the 16 off of it too, so they are using some younger scotches. Still tastes really good, and still right at 120 proof. Great stuff if you like strong, floral/fruity speyside style scotch.

Balvenie Doublewood
Dalmore 12

-
* Balvenie 21 port wood, double cast is it for me and when I splurge extra coin on my myself .
But This what you said ... Balvenie 12-year double wood is king for just all around good sipping .
the Balvenie 12 (imho) way much better than the 17 and I don't know why ? , the 12 and 17 are suppose to be very similar for cask and 17 just aged more, but 12 taste better to me .

Bourbon haha.

On all seriousness I am a Balvenie Fan.

If you like Scotches try some single malt Irish as well, very tasty. The 16 year knappogue castle is really nice.

It is the used Bourbon barrels that the Scottish folk put their whiskey in, to both Age and Store it. THAT is what makes "Scotch" good.
:p

Yeah, we've a few bottles of 'the scotch' around here as well, to go with our selection of Bourbon. We're not the greatest fans of the 'peated scotches' but I won't deny that there's the possibility of one out there that can be good.

(that oughta get some dander's ruffled!)

Isle of Jura, Highland Park, Talisker plus the ones mentioned above.

WHATEVER YOU DO AVOID GLEN GARIOCH(sp)

I prefer the clean taste of the Highland single malts. Aberlour 12 year double cask (love the Sherry finish), Edradour 10 year and Glengoyne 17 year are my go to drinks. I personally prefer Irish whiskey and these are close enough for me. As a side note, if you like Scotch, you might try Bushmills 16 year Irish whiskey. It's aged in bourbon barrels and Sherry casks for 16 years, then finished in Port wine Pipes. Has a great taste and finish.

Oban 18 is right at your maximum. ($104) and is superb. Oban 14 is very good and at the mid range of your budget.

Aberlour has an expression that is lesser known but among the best bangs for the dollar in Scotch. They expanded the distillery and dug up a time capsule. It had an old bottle that was so impressive to them that they duplicated it for current production. Filtration process recast and aging is in sherry casks. The result has a thick mouthfeel and a sherry explosion. Its a monster for $65. Aberlour A'bunadh (pronounced ah-boo-nar). Thank me later :)

Lagavulin 16. Nectar of the Gods!

Respect to gunjunkie45. I so enjoy the differing tastes of a forum community. We may all be bound by marksmanship but in terms of Scotch appreciation... wow there is a broad consensus.

Lagavulin 16 may be the peatiest, smokiest scotch in existence. I like a Laphroaig from time to time, but Lagavulin is so peaty...medicinal peaty...that it is in a class by itself. If you like this spirit, I'll wager few others can measure up. Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Octomore have power...no shame in fact, but such heavy handed peat smoke is uncommon.

If you are unfamiliar, brace up brother! This dram has a recoil all its own.

Reactions: gunjunkie45
Respect to gunjunkie45. I so enjoy the differing tastes of a forum community. We may all be bound by marksmanship but in terms of Scotch appreciation... wow there is a broad consensus.

Lagavulin 16 may be the peatiest, smokiest scotch in existence. I like a Laphroaig from time to time, but Lagavulin is so peaty...medicinal peaty...that it is in a class by itself. If you like this spirit, I'll wager few others can measure up. Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Octomore have power...no shame in fact, but such heavy handed peat smoke is uncommon.

-
you need to give sip to, Bowmore 'full cask strength' for some strong peat flavor .

Lagavulin 16 is without a doubt among the peatiest islay scotches. Not so sure about peatiest in existence... compass box, for example, offers some real peat monsters.

I can certainly understand your adversity to it though compared to the sherry bomb you get in aberlour a'bunahd. I know it's not nearly as available, but Tamdhu 10 or better yet Tamdhu batch strength(sweeter and more intense/bold) is another you may enjoy. Sub-$100 sherry bombs like these aren't real common.

Reactions: stefan73
Call me a rookie, but I really liked the Highland park 12. We did a blind Highland park tasting and it is much smoother than the 18. Also, the JL Weller's 12 reserve was also very smooth, but I can't find it anywhere

Call me a rookie, but I really liked the Highland park 12. We did a blind Highland park tasting and it is much smoother than the 18. Also, the JL Weller's 12 reserve was also very smooth, but I can't find it anywhere
The weller 12 used to be the best kept secret in Bourbon but now it's like hens teeth. A buddy happened to ask his local shop and they hid them in back to prevent people from buying them all out. At that time he paid $55 which is ridiculous compared to what it was in the high-20 to mid-30s range. The standard weller is like $18 a bottle def worth trying. It doesn't have the depth of the 12 year but still a fine easy sipping Bourbon. Much better than Makers or Larceny in terms of a worsted Bourbon imo.

The weller 12 used to be the best kept secret in Bourbon but now it's like hens teeth. A buddy happened to ask his local shop and they hid them in back to prevent people from buying them all out. At that time he paid $55 which is ridiculous compared to what it was in the high-20 to mid-30s range. The standard weller is like $18 a bottle def worth trying. It doesn't have the depth of the 12 year but still a fine easy sipping Bourbon. Much better than Makers or Larceny in terms of a worsted Bourbon imo.

With the unicorn/bigfoot/etc. type scarcity of Pappy it's really no surprise that Weller has become so hard to get. Especially with the rumors that Weller is the exact same as the main whiskey stock in the Pappy blend.

With the unicorn/bigfoot/etc. type scarcity of Pappy it's really no surprise that Weller has become so hard to get. Especially with the rumors that Weller is the exact same as the main whiskey stock in the Pappy blend.

Yeah I haven't had the pleasure of Pappy unfortunately but the Weller is very good. That said my personal favorite from Buffalo Trace is the EH Taylor line. Blantons has really grown on my as well.

Yeah I haven't had the pleasure of Pappy unfortunately but the Weller is very good. That said my personal favorite from Buffalo Trace is the EH Taylor line. Blantons has really grown on my as well.

EH Taylor's single barrel is actually on my short list to try for first time this year. If I can find it in stock...

Reactions: onetopgun