• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Best single malt scotch

The current Pappy and Weller is the same distillate, difference is where it is aged and pappy is choice barrels.
Years ago they could not sell Pappy and the Pappy of today is NO way near the older product.
What you have to realize is Pappy Van Winkle, W L Weller, is a brand and whoever owns it either makes it or buys the bourbon.
At one time Pappy made their own distillate now buffalo trace makes it for them.
Pappy became famous on bourbon they did not make.

Glenfiddech 12 is what I like the most from what ive tried. Not a big Scotch drinker but I do like it. Bourbon is my go to. Weller is top of the list for me.

As above, I tried many blended Scotches, I could manage my Brother's Cutty, but I finally settled on Bourbon as my sippin' whiskey.

Not a sophisticated sipper, mind you; I prefer Jim Beam Black.

If I could afford sophisticated, I'd have a few more rifles, too. Single malts are way out of mt\y range.

Greg

You're making it entirely too difficult.

IMG_4900.jpg

I've tried my fair share of single malt Scotch, the objectively best I've ever had was Macallan 25 year, but it's $1500 a bottle or so. My favorite all around is probably Lagavulin 16 followed by Laphroaig Quarter Cask. For the lighter stuff, I like either Glenfiddich or Glenlivet 12 or 15 year versions or Dalmore 12 or 15.

Tried out some Dalmore 12y a couple weekends ago and I would give it a thumbs up. Also pick up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 to try, my buddy loved it but I wasn't crazy about it. Wasn't bad just had a different taste, I assume that is the peat that guys talk about.

I’m a bourbon guy, period.

A friend of mine is close friends with some Euro Royals. Every year they do a scotch tour of the best highlands distilleries. He’s an aficionado.
He was over for dinner and my wife asked the guy at the liquor store what she should get for someone who drinks the top craft stuff. I figured it was going to be some $200+ bottle. Nope:
https://www.auchentoshan.com
He knew what it was and said it was fantastic Scotch.

I’m a bourbon guy, period.

A friend of mine is close friends with some Euro Royals. Every year they do a scotch tour of the best highlands distilleries. He’s an aficionado.
He was over for dinner and my wife asked the guy at the liquor store what she should get for someone who drinks the top craft stuff. I figured it was going to be some $200+ bottle. Nope:
https://www.auchentoshan.com
He knew what it was and said it was fantastic Scotch.
Bourbon here too but branching out. Which Auchentoshan did you try?

The American Oak. I didn’t try it, but there’s a half bottle left in the cabinet. I guess I’ll take a sip, but I just don’t like Scotch. That said I’m not going to be a bourbon threadjacker...

Tried the American Oak and the Triple Wood. Like the Triple Wood better

Aberlour A'bunadh with Talisker Storm a close 2nd.
Finally! Went thru this list, having been raised since a wee bairn on single malts from "ordinary" Glenlivet to Johnny Walker to Glenfiddich. I have found the A'bunadh to be my current favorite with Balvenie Double wood following close behind. I prefer a bit less of a peaty jigger. The Aberlour is a bit headire at 60.8%, so I splash it lightly (just enough to scare it) or sip it with a crust of bread, but it warms soooo nicely on the way down.

Reactions: bigdaddydmd
To me, scotches don’t slap you in the face with flavor like bourbons do, they’re more subtle.
To me, that slap is good, I take tiny sips with a water chaser and nurse a glass for quite a while, with flavor all the way through.

I do the same with cask aged Tequilas, mostly 3+ year anejos. Find the right one and you'll get the most incredible drunk you can imagine.

I never got in to single malts, they can make anejos look cheap and I'm bad with names.

I need recommendations for some single malts that are slightly peaty or smoky or salty. Budget is ~$50, I don’t want to spend decent money on something that tastes like burnt compost

It’s not just that I don’t want to drink liquid smoked plastic, I have a crotch goblin that’s getting ready to scramble out to the world so I don’t want to spend too much right now

I need recommendations for some single malts that are slightly peaty or smoky or salty. Budget is ~$50, I don’t want to spend decent money on something that tastes like burnt compost
Highland Park 12 I can't guarantee the price point though, it used to be in the mid-high 30's but everything is stupid now.

Reactions: rhsc and The D
Highland Park 12 I can't guarantee the price point though, it used to be in the mid-high 30's but everything is stupid now.
Right on, thanks

Reactions: rhsc
Ardmore is another but isn't as good as it used to be (everything is younger now).

It was the main component in Teacher's Blended which used to be a steal but got a bad rep for some batches with an odd peanut kind of taste. People buy blends for consistency and that was a cardinal sin.

Entire Balvenie line is good stuff,is too bad it started to get expensive. They had next to no marketing and very plain packaging for ages and were reasonably priced gems.

Inchmurrin - Madeira Wood finish, was another wonderful bottle that the wife and I brought back from our 25 anniversary in Scotland a couple of years ago.

Just looked it up and it appears that we paid about half of what it is going for now. IIRC.

Reactions: The D
At the moment, "best" day in and day out... Caol Ila 12. Last two months Bruichladdich Bere Barley.

for "The D" - If you can find the Hazelburn 10- I think you might like it, the allure of the Campbeltowns for me is their complexity... no BPA there for sure, lots of flavors that come and go- seems to run around $60ish on promotion around here?

These are in heavy rotation here:
Aberlour A'bunadh
Aberlour 18
Caol Ila 12
Ardbeg 10
Hazelburn 10
Balvenie Caribbean Cask
Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2011 & 2012
Aberfeldy 18
Bunnahabain 12
Oban 18

On deck:
Bowmore 18
Kilkerran 8yr Cask strength
Bruichladdich Black Art ... hopefully

Bourbon haha.

On all seriousness I am a Balvenie Fan.

If you like Scotches try some single malt Irish as well, very tasty. The 16 year knappogue castle is really nice.
If going Irish, then a taste of red breast will sate the wild beast! The spots are all good as well. Apparently about 70-80% of Irish whisky is made by only 3 distilleries (per the tour guide at Jameson's)

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
Get some scotch stones. They are rock cubes you keep in the freezer to keep your scotch cold without diluting it. I like Laphroig. It’s a bit too Smokey and peaty form most. It’s genetic if you like it. You either hate or love it. Just have to have the gene.
If you have trouble finding scotch stones, whisky rocks will work. I'm sure it's a marketing thing

Oban 18 is right at your maximum. ($104) and is superb. Oban 14 is very good and at the mid range of your budget.

Aberlour has an expression that is lesser known but among the best bangs for the dollar in Scotch. They expanded the distillery and dug up a time capsule. It had an old bottle that was so impressive to them that they duplicated it for current production. Filtration process recast and aging is in sherry casks. The result has a thick mouthfeel and a sherry explosion. Its a monster for $65. Aberlour A'bunadh (pronounced ah-boo-nar). Thank me later :)
One of my favorites, I keep 1-2 bottles on hand at all times.

A few more suggestions that are fairly widely available and less than your $50 budget (in my AO anyways):

Talisker 10 - slightly smoky & peaty
Laphroig 10 - medium smoke & peat
Ardbeg 10 - medium-heavy peat
Bunnahabhain 12 - medium-heavy smoke and medium-light peat

All fairly "approachable". With decent complexity and generally wide flavor appeal. In order of "boldness" per my palate, i.e. ymmv.

There are many many more within your budget like Kilchoman's Michir(sp?) that are excellent smoky options, but aren't as widely available. If you like peat I wouldn't be afraid to explore options from any of the Islay distilleries.

I like Macallan 12 for a cheap Scotch. Was given a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue, good but I wouldn't pay the price. Now single pot Irish whiskey....I am ankle deep in that rabbit hole at any price, but I have a big red beard and my people people came from county Galway. Slainte

What is your favorite single malt scotch for the under $100 per bottle range. I have always enjoyed Johnny Walker scotch but a friend and I have started down the rabbit hole of single malts, so far I have tried Macallan, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddech, and Aberlour. I liked the Macallan the best.
2 kinds; clean and petey so you gotta go there

clean, I like dalwhinnie double matured
petey, Lagavullin

but I do love laophraig or however you spell it as well. I also like McCallum. hell, I like a lot of them...lol

Oban 18 is right at your maximum. ($104) and is superb. Oban 14 is very good and at the mid range of your budget.

Aberlour has an expression that is lesser known but among the best bangs for the dollar in Scotch. They expanded the distillery and dug up a time capsule. It had an old bottle that was so impressive to them that they duplicated it for current production. Filtration process recast and aging is in sherry casks. The result has a thick mouthfeel and a sherry explosion. Its a monster for $65. Aberlour A'bunadh (pronounced ah-boo-nar). Thank me later :)
agree on 18, outfkingstanding as well

I'll second the recommendations for Highland Park 12. It's been called "the all-rounder" because it has a flavor profile that contains elements of all the whisky-producing regions of Scotland. Cragganmore 12 is another good one in your price range and may even be a bit gentler than the Highland Park.

Reactions: The D and 6.5SH
I'm more of a bourbon guy, but have dabbled into the scotch world a bit, first thing I can say is stay away from the stones recommended and get metal ice rocks, the stones always gave a flavor to anything I have had. Agree with those who have said to try straight, water, rocks. I have had a few that I have hated straight that turned out good with a few drops of water, or an ice stone. Balveine Caribbean cask was a good grab for me at $80, worth a shot. Try to find a place where you can try a glass before you buy a bottle, BIG help for anything I had had in the past.

"Best" is sort of unanswerable....depends on what you like in taste.

I have some friends who love super peaty/smoking, taste like it come out of a warehouse fire, awful stuff that they pay a lot of $$ for. To them, its sweet nectar.

I like Glenlivet but to them its watery piss.....I don't care, I still like it.

See what I'm saying?

Reactions: 6.5SH
The day is turning out okay, got a 150 mile ride in, and now a little refreshment.

Attachments

• 20210526_161254.jpg
    20210526_161254.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 47
My 2 favorite daily drinkers are Glenmorangie 12 yo Nectar D'or $70 and Balvinie 15 yo single barrel sherry cask $125.

Reactions: bkglock
Bunnahabhain 12 is very good and inexpensive. I have an old bottle of 18yo that is oh so smooth.
Have you tried the peated scotches Lagavulin Lephroaig and Ardbeg to name a few.

Be careful as this hole goes very deep.

Ask me how I know!
Unfortunately, finding The Lagavulin 16 for under 100 is becoming a hard item to acquire. Same with Ardbeg (minus the 10). Hell, I was shocked how much Laphroaig went up as it's now approaching 75 a bottle here.

I think the OP's answer should likely be broken down by region. I'll have to think about this a bit, before a "formal" answer.

Unfortunately, finding The Lagavulin 16 for under 100 is becoming a hard item to acquire. Same with Ardbeg (minus the 10). Hell, I was shocked how much Laphroaig went up as it's now approaching 75 a bottle here.

I think the OP's answer should likely be broken down by region. I'll have to think about this a bit, before a "formal" answer.

Prices are indeed a little tricky as they can vary widely based on your AO and store to store.

Still Laphroaig 10yr at $75... that's insane... unless it was their cask strength or sherry oak offering?

Last I remember Laphroaig was about 55-60. Unfortunately, in 'Bama or close to 'Bama (like TN border) they still rape you. 'Bama is because ABC controls all the stores. Even independents have to buy at their price and then mark up. So there is no competition here. Even COSTCO doesn't have good prices on anything but the Kirkland brand. Which, BTW...their 21 year old Bourbon is WAAAAY too sherry dominant.

I actually just picked up some Glen Grant 12. Never had it before. Not sure why I bought it other than it's something I haven't had before.

For me...Islay >> Highlands >= Orkney >> Speyside >= Campbeltown > Lowlands

Islay: The Lagavulin 16 > Ardbeg (Uigeadail) (I've forgotten how the other Corryvreckan tastes) > Laphroaig > Ardbeg 10/An Oa
Highlands: Glenmorangie > The Macallan for me (as a general rule for the affordable stuff) >> Glendronach
Speyside: Arbelour (very sherry though) == >= Balvenie (though the carribean cask was excellent) . I will say the Glenfiddich Fire and Cane was quite nice!!
Orkney: Highland Park > Scapa
Campbeltown: Springbank 10 > Springbank 15 (my 15 was the biggest disappointment of my life...and I hear the 10 is much more consistent)
Lowlands: Auchentoshan Three Wood > Glenkinchie

Of course, I haven't had some of these in a while.

Campbeltown: Springbank 10 > Springbank 15 (my 15 was the biggest disappointment of my life...and I hear the 10 is much mor.e consistent)
I've tried all of the standard Springbank bottlings, and the 10yo is by far my favorite. Never had a bad example of that one.

And if you enjoy that, you might also consider Clynelish 14. It has a character and quality not unlike Springbank 10. Those two plus Talisker 10 are probably my favorite of the light to moderately peated coastal Scotch whiskys.

Last edited:
Reactions: BytorJr
PSA: Anyone near an Applejack liquor, I’m near the new one in the far north Denver ‘burbs, Talisker 10 is on sale for $60($20 off) to anyone who is a rewards member. I have no idea how long it will last, I was only there so my aunt could get a bottle of Sinister for my cousin and happened upon it

Glenlivet? Neat? Never made any list.
Glenfiddich, IPA barrel aged?
The Glenrothes?

Macallan so long as its sherry cask finished like the double cask. McClelland is my cheap go to and Balvenie / Dalmore are good as well.