• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Small Distillery Bourbon

Re: Best Small Distillery Bourbon

Dayam! You scored that one!
I'll be toasting a nice turkey in the oven tomorrow, then enjoying a nice pour of whatever appeals to me on the shelf...Baker's, Rittenhouse, Knob Creek, Eagle Rare, just don't know what I'll be drinking with the just out of the oven Pummkin Cheesecake that is smelling kick ass good right now!

Happy Thanksgiving all you bottle fiends!

RJW if you need any more 20-23 I can usually find a bottle or two up here from time to time. My haul has only been 4 bottles of Stagg, and 2 of the Pappy 15. Minus the bottle of Stagg we drank in camp.

Woodford Reserve is my favorite at the moment, but Blantons is very fine as well.

Thank you Shibby. Just counted the bourbon stock. 58 bottles on the shelves. This should carry me into the New Year. I always buy the hard to get items when they are available. Like to stay well stocked just in case of a bourbon drought. Firing up the turkey fryer in a little while, along with a glass of Stagg or Weller and a Padron 45.

Everyone have a wonder Thanksgiving day. Enjoy!!

Just picked up a bottle of Blanton's yesterday. I'll have to put O'l Pappy on my to do list.

Gow with the Pappy 15. Great price and quality. If you like the Blantons, try Elmer T Lee. Elmer is the master distiller for Blantons and picks barrels his name goes on. I like more than the Blantons at half the price.

FineBourbon.jpg

Gentlemen,
I now have in my possession two highly sought after bottles of Bourbon. I don't plan to open them till a REAL special occasion comes along. I've never tried either of these. I quess what I'm getting at is "Are they REALLY that good"?

I got a really good bottle but I ain't tellin what it is because the last time I told about my favorite bottle it started getting sold before I could get any, and now it is really hard to find so I am keeping this particular one close, but ya'all really wish I would tell! Man is it GOOD!
Yes, it is 'bottled in bond'
Yes, it won a yearly given Gold Medal
and NO, I ain't tellin!

ps It was hella good with a 601 Oscuro for my 'End of Semester' celebration

Switch you can tell. If it's along the lines of the bottles above it's to expensive for regular consumption anyway.lol My favorite go to is Buffalo Trace and it's still on the upper end of what I like to pay.

Check my 2/4/10 post. Hint hint

I think I'm going to stick with what I know. And maybe try some Rye when I get a chance to see how I like it. I did try some Bowman Brothers that's a Virginia Bourbon that's not to shabby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody try William Larue Weller Kentucky Straight Bourbon? </div></div>
An excellent bourbon. Right up there with Staggs.

That Weller will make a man of you.

Also Switch you're killin me. PM me or something I'm wondering if I've had it or if I need to start sicking the hounds on something new. With my b-day around the corner I'd love to try something new.

Just had to open the bottle of Stagg. It has a great taste, I'm not to good at describing flavors, but I know a good bourbon when I taste one. The one thing I can say is it isn't for the weak of heart.

Haha try a splash or two of pure water, something better than tap and you can smooth out that Stagg a little and open it up. Nothing wrong with that. But good clean ice or good water is important.

I cant remember if I posted in this thread earlier but if you like Pappy then try Eagle Rare...it is outstanding and much less expensive.

Just finished some Staggs with a couple cubes of distilled water ice cubes anda Warlock cigar......What a way to start a new week.

Eagle Rare is one of my favorites. I'll have try the Stagg with some water.

Bourbon is best left to mixers.
The best Bourbon is goats piss compared to a decent Scotch.

12 year old Highland Park is one of my stables, but I have a two bottles of 15 year that are like proverbial liquid sex...Only more expensive!

I will drive across the country for a shot of 30 year Macallan.

You are in the wrong thread my friend. Best watch such remarks. Goat piss comment unwarranted. Come to my bar and I will show you great 15 to 27 year old bourbons.

I would have thought our neighbor from the north would be more of either a blended whiskey or even a Champagne or Bordeaux fan. ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bourbon is best left to mixers.

12 year old Highland Park is one of my stables, but I have a two bottles of 15 year that are like proverbial liquid sex...Only more expensive!

I will drive across the country for a shot of 30 year Macallan. </div></div>

Scotch has its place. Once I learned how to savor a good bourbon, the Scotch took a backseat. Drop the goat piss comments.

Each time I drink Scotch with it's peat and smoke, I get a hankerin for a good Mezcal! As to the lack of culture and comment on the American Bourbon, what more should we expect from a race of mongrel half french Brits north of Washington state? (Sean, how's tricks?);)

Really though, a comparison between liquors that share nothing in common except they come in a bottle(Smoke and Peat with Barley vs Burnt Oak, 51% corn, etc) is tantamount to comparing Sebastopol, CA Gravenstien Apples to Florida Oranges. You may fare better comparing Scotch to good Irish Whiskey such as Red breast, but then again, Smoke and Peat are not used for that wee drop o the pure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bourbon is best left to mixers.......</div></div>
As a fellow Canuck, I have to tell you that you're showing your ass.

Pull up your drawers, youngster. Straighten out and sit back. You might learn a thing or two around here.

Humility being the top of the list.

Switch, tricks here ain't too bad. Still have to mail off your package as soon as I remember to not forget to do it. And I'm WELSH!!! I'll have you know. While I won't deny there is a time and place for Scotch just the same as there's a time and place for wine, the different bottles of Bourbon are prevalent, here.

Bulleit, Makers Mark, Bookers, Woodford Reserve. That's all I've been able to scrape up so far. Still really wanting a bottle of Pendryn though. Really really really. Just cuz.....

There's a difference, eh?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bourbon is best left to mixers.

I will drive across the country for a shot of 30 year Macallan.</div></div>

This is funny, considering that your "decent Scotch" was aged in a used up bourbon barrel sold to them by the "goat piss" bourbon distilleries. Yeah thats right, its where all the bourbon barrels go, betcha didn't know that. The residual bourbon in the barrel is probably the only reason Scotch is even drinkable at all. Thanks for the laugh though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This is funny, considering that your "decent Scotch" was aged in a used up bourbon barrel sold to them by the "goat piss" bourbon distilleries. Yeah thats right, its where all the bourbon barrels go, betcha didn't know that. The residual bourbon in the barrel is probably the only reason Scotch is even drinkable at all. Thanks for the laugh though! </div></div>

I was wondering if I was going to get busted with that!
smile.gif

True story though...many of the better Scotches come from Bourbon or Sherry barrels...Though they are hardly used up.
I have tried a lot of bourbons and have yet to find one that turns my crank. I find them either flat or harsh with little comparative depth of taste....your mileage will of course vary.

The war of Bourbon VS Scotch is centuries old now...I just figured I'd fire a shot across the bow. to see if you guys were asleep at the switch!
smile.gif

SEANTHENAlER,
I do some business in Winnipeg from time to time....Next time I will bring some fine Scotch and will expose your virginal palate to the real deal....of course converting you to a proper Scotch drinker in the process!
I invite you to do the same.
You don't stand a chance Sean!
smile.gif

See you at the Fort Gary!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This is funny, considering that your "decent Scotch" was aged in a used up bourbon barrel sold to them by the "goat piss" bourbon distilleries. Yeah thats right, its where all the bourbon barrels go, betcha didn't know that. The residual bourbon in the barrel is probably the only reason Scotch is even drinkable at all. Thanks for the laugh though! </div></div>

I was wondering if I was going to get busted with that!
smile.gif

True story though...many of the better Scotches come from Bourbon or Sherry barrels...Though they are hardly used up.
I have tried a lot of bourbons and have yet to find one that turns my crank. I find them either flat or harsh with little comparative depth of taste....your mileage will of course vary.

The war of Bourbon VS Scotch is centuries old now...I just figured I'd fire a shot across the bow. to see if you guys were asleep at the switch!
smile.gif

SEANTHENAlER,
I do some business in Winnipeg from time to time....Next time I will bring some fine Scotch and will expose your virginal palate to the real deal....of course converting you to a proper Scotch drinker in the process!
I invite you to do the same.
You don't stand a chance Sean!
smile.gif

See you at the Fort Gary!

</div></div>

Haha well it was only a matter of time before a Scotch guy infiltrated.....

One thing I was always amazed at with Scotches is how well the peat flavors come through clear as a bell. Those will wake you up in the morning.

It is a battle as old as the US, but convert him from bourbon to Scotch? Might as well ask if he wants the King back too!
laugh.gif

I'll pick up that gauntlet, though I can't say as I'd make the dress code.
cool.gif

The Pemby would be more my speed and style, though I haven't set foot in either of those establishments in years. I'm sure we can arrange something!
whistle.gif

Always one for learning, here. I just tend to observe and inspect new obstacles from differing angles and observation posts, rather than to sashay into the center of the Ball and holler out "Bitches, I'm here!!!"
grin.gif
You've got one hell of a way to make an entrance.

As for the King, he'd be no better or worse than any other man. Once he's done his time in the butts and pulled targets like the rest of us, then I'd buy him a drink too. Otherwise he can polish his own brass. HA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll pick up that gauntlet, though I can't say as I'd make the dress code.
cool.gif

The Pemby would be more my speed and style, though I haven't set foot in either of those establishments in years. I'm sure we can arrange something!
whistle.gif

Always one for learning, here. I just tend to observe and inspect new obstacles from differing angles and observation posts, rather than to sashay into the center of the Ball and holler out "Bitches, I'm here!!!"
grin.gif
You've got one hell of a way to make an entrance.

As for the King, he'd be no better or worse than any other man. Once he's done his time in the butts and pulled targets like the rest of us, then I'd buy him a drink too. Otherwise he can polish his own brass. HA. </div></div>

You've got to be able to laugh at yourself and have some fun in the process!
I make a fool of myself enough to know.
smile.gif

Long live the King!

Peace

Haven't tried it but it is on my list as well.

Are Weller, Stagg, and Eagle Rare produced by the same people?
I was sitting at the fire water store tonight looking, and if I remember correctly they were all lined up next to each other, with one other, and all had the same bottle/look, aside from the name.

I ended up going with the Woodford, it just seems everyone thinks it good, might go back for the lagavaulin...sp?... Scotch

But, which of the brother bourbons is best, the eagle rare expensive shit, the stagg, or the weller? I know they vary in content, shit one was like 150proof.

I'm kind of upset I didn't get one of these, but there's always tomorrow...

Eagle rare is on the same level as Wild Turkey 101, good drink for the price, well maybe a small notch higher. HAven't had the pleasure of the Weller, but it sits a shelf higher. Stagg's, well, that is the suff of men who have a little more wherewithall in the wallet than I do, but I am certain I will get to taste it sooner or later, oh, and it sits on the top shelf, or if you don't see it, probably behind the counter hidden from view for the select few who do things right by the purveyor. Me, right now though, I am sippin on a wee pour of a 2011 medal winner and it tastes mighty fine!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eagle rare is on the same level as Wild Turkey 101, good drink for the price, well maybe a small notch higher. HAven't had the pleasure of the Weller, but it sits a shelf higher. Stagg's, well, that is the suff of men who have a little more wherewithall in the wallet than I do, but I am certain I will get to taste it sooner or later, oh, and it sits on the top shelf, or if you don't see it, probably behind the counter hidden from view for the select few who do things right by the purveyor. Me, right now though, I am sippin on a wee pour of a 2011 medal winner and it tastes mighty fine! </div></div>

I'm a big fan of Weller. I had the pleasure of attending a wedding with Weller at the open bar and it was a delight. It was good enough to drink alone over a few cubes of ice. I was even happier when they pulled out the bottle of Woodford at the end of the night. Oh well, I'm still sipping on a fifth of Makers I bought a few weeks ago. I don't drink like I used to.

My Woodford was $30, I don't care for it, it drinks cheap.

The reg. Eagle rare was about the same cost, we then had.

Eagle rare 17yr, Weller, Stagg, and something else lined up, all $66, and all appeared to be in the same bottle/ made by the same people.

$66 isn't bad if it is good enough to drink neat, if it needs water, or coke, or whatever, then I might as well buy the cheap shit.

I'm disappointed I didn't buy one of the $66 bottles, this Woodford doesn't live up to my standards.

I don't drink much, may make it through half a bottle in an entire year, so I'm trying to find something that isn't repulsive, but also isn't $200/bottle. I don't mind $100/bottle, I do mind that I have $300 in booze sitting here that wont get touched.

anyone try Fighting Cock, I am not a drinker but when I did that was some really really good whiskey. best I ever had.

I think it's safe to say which distillery all those came from. Never herd of William Weller, is it hard to find?

I haven't had the weller shown above, but the other weller label I had was a wheat bourbon I didnt care for.

Elmer T Lee is as good as anything I have ever tried and doesnt break the bank either.

I'm gonna be coming home on R&R next month and will be home for my birthday and I know that there is no where around that is going to have some fine bourbon, could any of you guys point me in the right direction, I'm looking for some stagg PVW 15 and EC 12.
Thanks,
Adam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Williams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it's safe to say which distillery all those came from. Never herd of William Weller, is it hard to find?</div></div>
Yes they all come from Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. I don't have the Eagle Rare. They are all VERY hard to get here in San Antonio. I found one liquor store that carries the line but they sell out quickly. The William Larue Weller is very good...it is much better than the W.L. Weller reserve IMHO. For the money I agree with Ajwcotton...I really like the Elijah Craig 12...I think amazing for the price....if i remember correctly about $25. I just purchased the only 2 bourbons produced in Texas - Garrison brothers and Ranger creek - can't wait to try these

Cedar Ridge, out of Swisher Iowa, make a great bourbon, IMHO.

Well I was able get ahold of A bottle of Stagg, Bookers, Blantons, EC 12 wich isn't reallt that hard, but no eagle rare, Pappy, or Lee.
I do thinke that those plus my bottle of bullit and knob, plus the JW Blue should get me through 14 days of R&R just fine. I'll report back when I find out what Cigars my buddy was able to dig up.
Later,
Adam

I'm running low on the Stagg, would someone like to recommend a good substitute. Or would it be a good idea to post in the WTB to hope for a bottle?

Just picked up a bottle of Limited Woodford Maple something or another. They had a bottle of Oak, I plan to pick that up next time im in the neighborhood. Freaking $200+ for a sixer, that bottle of booze, and 2 Goose Island Bourbon County Vanilla Stout bombers. A bit Pricey for a random stop.

Richard II .... that is a good looking stock pile