• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Small Distillery Bourbon

Re: Best Small Distillery Bourbon

Shit, the local hooch joints up here always have the eagle rares, both, the weller, stagg, and the other couple in that line I can't remember.

The weller and stagg are close to me, the weller just having a bit less fire, and thus allowing the sweet to come out quicker.

I got to try lagavaulin and lafroit??? Spelling
These two scotches, I will take the bourbon, both were smooth, a good drink for what they were, I just apparently don't like that.

I think my next buy will be the eagle rare 17yr, but Jameson signature select may grab my interest instead.

Willian Larue Weller is close to the Staggs. About 126 proof.

Problem here is the people at the local ABC store takes no pride in their work. You have to special order bottle's of Stagg, PVW, and such. And most of the time they say they can't get it when you do a follow up to see if it has arrived. If you don't drink bourbon you shouldn't be allowed to work in a ABC store.
smile.gif

Howdy all. Time to add my 2 cents. I've previously tried several of the bourbons that have been listed, like Makers Mark; Gentleman Jack; Eagle Rare, and like that - the easy to find ones. In the last 2 weeks (since I found this thread), I've tried - for the first time - Bulleit (not the Rye)& Buffalo Trace (toasted my son with these 2 the night he was declared a single man again!); Bakers; and Elmer T Lee - in that order. These are all great stuff!
grin.gif
Looking forward to trying all that I can afford - gotta find 'em all first, though
wink.gif
It seems that central FLA. isn't that big on great bourbons, but I shall endeavor to persevere!!
smile.gif

Y'all take care.

PS: So far, the Bakers is in the lead,but not by much!
wink.gif

I found a hooch seller today that has both Basil Hayden and Bookers. Never would've figured this one to have anything better than Wild Turkey. Which would be the recommended pick if I can only get one?

Y'all take care.

Bookers. Barrel proof and the better value in my opinion, though I like basil as well. The basil has a little more pepper to it, must be more rye in the mash than most bourbons.
Thing is though, it's all about what you like. A "top shelf" bourbon is worth no more than any other bourbon that you like just as well regardless of price. Go to a bar with a good selection, have em pour you a few blind from several different bottles...taste em without the bias of knowing which is which. Pick your favorite and if you are lucky it might be a cheaper one!

Nothing wrong with Wild Turkey 101.

I'm sipping on some Jefferson Reserve and wishing I had some Dalwinnie scocth(15yr). Why does anyone put good drink in anything but a clean glass straight? I bought the bottle last wednseday gone today. So to keep the rotation buorbon, scotch, tequeila.

As a scotch afficiandao you MUST know that the proper way to enjoy scotch is to add a slight bit of steamed water or a small amount of ice water to bring the proof down to about 41p. You also know that any afficianado who is a true subject matter expert will agree with me as it is what is taught to those in the trades or resteraunts that know a fine scotch from the rabble who drink JW Red and call it fine.

Good bourbon has one very small point that most know. A bit of ice, or a bit of cold water open up the nose as well as the multitude of tastenotes. This is due to the fact that a higher proof liquor has the alcohol burn associated with it that when dropped slightly, allows the true deeper nature of the bourbon to come through.

My Speyside Craggenmore Distiller's Edition, Port Finish('92, 20 years old, 15 at time of purchase) is proof positive that a good scotch opens up with a little steamed water or a small amount of ice water. The finer notes that the port finish give to the scotch would be lost without dropping the proof down a slight amount.

Wild Turkey 101 is fine stuff, however for some reason, when sipped at strength for a while seems to almost be like water after a bit...maybe I need to drink more bourbon, but it's too hot right now...beer is better and I am in the mood for tequila

I bow to your knowledge. I'm self taught learnig to enjoy the finer things. I've tried an ice cube,I've let one melt in two fingers, I've added water(yes too strong alcohol overwelms). Streamed water? Temp. of water when added? So far my preferred method is a small sip and let it sit around my tongue. I really enjoy these learning threads.

hey guys, ive always been wanting to get into bourbons, and the like but never knew where to start. Being that this is a bourbon thread, what should I give a go as a first timer? Anything special need to be done to enjoy it? ( as seen above my post.. )

Some people do it, but I <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> add water to Scotch.

Because the water used to make it has already had its unique influence on the product several times: In single malt Scotches the water used to produce it is usually not treated and thus supplies the product with its character. In some distilleries the water is used again to steep the grains of proprietary maltings. The water is used again in the infusion that triggers the fermentation. Then sometimes the water is used yet again to reduce the strength by a few percent before maturation, and again in the proprietary bottling lines to reduce the strength before packaging.

I don't add water after the fact because I choose not to affect the texture of the malt. True, the bouquet and aroma on the palate can be opened by adding water, but even then it takes only a small drop of <span style="text-decoration: underline">very pure</span> water and, literally, a drop - like from a dropper.

Mroneyed, For an inexpensive but passible bourbon I like Evan Williams. My outlet had something around $23 from Evan that I think is the best stater. From there if you like bourbon you just look at the list from RJW 4/2/10 you can't go wrong.

Training Wheels for bourbon?
Wild Turkey 80
Evan Williams
Bulleit
Jim Beam Black

After you try those, in order, then go look at RJW's list. The above listed are the 'lightest' of the bunch, or what we call the training wheels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My question would be then, where would one put Maker's Mark, and on who's list?

Thanks </div></div>

A lot of folks drink it. I will when there is no Pappy, Woodford, Knob Creek pr Eagle Rare.

I do like the new Maker's Mark 46: Less bold; more refined.

But my regular stocking for unexpected guests consists of Woodford, Knob Creek, and Blantons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrOneEyedBoh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there small bottle I can get? Like samplers</div></div>
Short answer: NO

But you can go to a bar, and order a specific shot! Watch 'em pour it.

Well I figured I ought to report back on the vacation festivities. Did a lot of shooting and drinking of the bourbon. Of the ones I mentioned in my previous post I think the bookers was the most versatile, I found it to great with the delicious brisket and it was good both straight and with ice. The EC 12 was ok, but I think I prefer woodford and knob to that. I only had the Blantons after dinner and I'm not really sure how I feel about it I think I'll have to do more "research" on that. The Stagg is really some potent stuff and went great with a Punch sitting by the fire with some friends Drank that straight I thought it was great, but had sampled several other drinks by the time we brought it out. Still have at least 1/2 the stagg left so I'll try it again when I get back home with a victory cigar, and by victory I mean I'm never going to a shit country on the Gov's dime ever again.
One more thing, how would you guys say the PVY 15-18 compare to any of the ones I have so far tried?
Thanks, great info in this thread.

OK. Last night I'm hangin' in the hotel bar and the bartender says "You should try some of this. It's called Angel's Envy."
DAMN! That was some of the smoothest bourbon I ever drank.

Hey guys I plan on getting some stuff tomorrow. Maybe just one bottle to get an idea on whats what with bourbon. Now Ive read this thread 2-3 times, and I see where people are talking about having to order certain ones and having to wait and wait? And I think I seen someone say something about receiving a bottle in a wooden box with a letter from the distillery? Whats up with that?

When Im at the store looking around for the commonly mentioned brands here, what am I looking for? Small batch? Single barrel? Lets say Im looking for bookers, or knob creek... IS that all Im looking for, or are there different varieties of each? For example like Pappy Van Winkle has a few diff. years available. Whats the difference generally speaking between years, is the older stronger? etc.. I appreciate it fellas.!!

Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Makers Mark 46
Russells Reserve
Elijah Craig 12

I'll tell you what. The first bourbon that I drank was woodford reserve. I had it because my captain at the time had a glass with his beer and I thought WTF. if its good enough for him, I'm in for a whirl. Turns out I liked the shit. Did it a few more times then Started trying others. Come to find out I really like the good shit. So I bide my time and when it's released I try to buy as much as I can afford. Then I hope it lasts until I can get it again. Hopefully a few bottles make it through untouched and there the stock begins. I still spend a bit of time in the woodford as its redily available and it's easier on the wallet than many of the others. Find what you like and enjoy the shit out of it. Switch next time you're up at RJW's I might be persuaded if he doesn't have any Stagg to bring a bottle down to share if I'm off that day. He's like 2 hrs away.

Here's the latest update. Picked up a bottle of Basil Hayden and Bookers. I've now acquired Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Elmer T. Lee, Bakers, Basil Hayden, and Bookers. Bookers is favored as of tonight. Still MANY, MANY more to try
grin.gif
I've located Makers 46; Blantons; Eagle Rare, and a couple others. Wallets getting a bit thin, so they'll have to wait a bit!
wink.gif
I'll update as I progress through my list!

Y'all take care.

My question today is, When are they going to release the 2012 Pappy and Stagg?

Have always wanted to try pappys. How do you score a bottle. They release to there largest distributors? Would like to get on a list.

Was told the Pappy has come and gone for the year too.
frown.gif

One store told me that the Weller 12 year was same as Pappy 12 year.
My new Hunting camp bourbon is Buffalo Trace. Nice bourbon for not a lot of $$.

I think Buffalo trace makes pappy for the family that owns the name.

Got a new one ...... Restaurant owner friend gave me some Rebecca Creek (Texas Bourbon). Good stuff, not as smooth as Woodford but tasty.

Had help draining bottle at man camp this weekend.

Im partial to MR Jefferson these days.do not have to get the highest priced as about $130. the $35 bottle is just as good.very smoth.

Picked up my Staggs and Pappy 15 last week. Pappy will bottle again in the spring.

Although i am still young(23) i have a very fine taste for whisky. as of today my favorite is Four Roses single barrel. The regular four roses tastes to watery for me and kinda has a vodka taste to it. i have tried everything from bullit, buffulo trace, bookers, basil hayden, and lots of others i could go on and on. But if any of you have an opinion on Four Roses single barrel i would love to hear it!

Buffalo is my go to drink. Me not going to be happy if Pappy has already come and gone and I didn't get a call from my local ABC store.

Along with the Four Roses Single Barrel, give the 4 Roses Small Batch a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Buffalo trace makes pappy for the family that owns the name. </div></div>

Here is a link to a reference for Van Winkle whiskey sources. I just wish it was easier to find.

What's in that bottle of Van Winkle?

FWIW, we started here with the Bulleit, about 3 or 4 years ago. Then we tried the Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, and then Bookers.

We found Bookers to be so fantastically much better, that it instantly became our 'favorite'. After more than a bottle or two's, it has been consistent and great.

But then we splurged just a few more dollars, and picked up a bottle of Blanton's.

Is there such a thing as a 'bad batch', or could our palate's possibly be burnt out/spoiled by imbibing once in a while of Bookers? I ask, because of all the flavours and nuances that are found in the Bookers, all we get out of the Blanton's is a carrier of creosote, with hints and notes of turpentine.

So bad so, that neither one of us want a third drink out of the bottle. (One of us had to go back and get a second opinion,,,, but I won't mention who for OPSEC reasons, of course)

So I mean seriously folks, and I ask this here as ya'll know what you're talking about. Especially RJW, Switch, KY, and a few others. We both are preferring a bottle of White Label Jim Beam, to this stuff. Comparatively, it's that bad.

What d'ya'll think?

Sean,
Blantons is a top shelf bourbon. It is not one of my regulars, but I have always enjoyed it. Never had a bad batch or barrel of it. If it is rougher than Beam White , there is definitely a problem with that bottle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-MadDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Buffalo trace makes pappy for the family that owns the name. </div></div>

Here is a link to a reference for Van Winkle whiskey sources. I just wish it was easier to find.

What's in that bottle of Van Winkle? </div></div>

Thanks for the info, I thought I read where buffalo trace was making it I didn't realize it went through that many transitions over the years. Now, if I can just get my hands on a bottle!

Sean,

Sitting herere with a couple ounces of Blantons. Has been a while since I cracked the bottle. Definite vanilla notes at the beginning. Vanilla is dominate with a slight burn at the very end. I would give it 90 out of a 100.

No harshness at all. Pleasant drink. Think I'll have another pour.

RJW,

We totally believe you, and appreciate your input. This being our first/only try, we didn't know what to expect. But neither of us are getting that AT ALL. As my Lady says, "harsh" is the politest term to use. "Acidic" taste (not flavor)..... (so would that be "astringent"???) is the powerful and overwhelming impression.

We have already emailed them, to which I can give you a copy of said email via PM if you're interested. Awaiting reply. We seriously did try to do so, in as respectful manner as we could. No, we're not just out there trying to get free stuff.

Anyone coming by, and wanting to formulate their own opinion, are welcome to it. At the same time, if this is 'normal' for them, we are definitely going back to Booker's, and are still looking for some Pappy.

We ain't no 'connoisseur' of this stuff, but it's really hard to describe the shock value compared with our other fare's.

Stands to be interesting.

Blantons is really good, like top 3 for me...I can't imagine that if you like other bourbons that you wouldn't like it at all, so I'd have to agree that something is wrong with it. I have never heard of a bad bottle of bourbon from any maker but I guess it could happen. It happens with beer and wine often.

When it comes to whiskey, though, the best bottle is simply the one you like the best. Wish my favorite was beam white label!

Take the bottle back to the retailer. Something really wrong with it..Don't need to be a bourbon pro to know that it tastes bad. Good luck.

By the way, the second glass was as good as the first. I needed to be sure.

I couldn't stand the bottle of four roses i purchased. It was almost too fruity? Lately, i've really been enjoying Highland Park scotches. I like to have it neat and basically "chew the whiskey." As it moves around it opens up and really brings up the flavor. I'll nose the older stuff. I picked up a dram of the 40 yr old Highland Park and am wondering should i change my approach. I bought only a dram worth as a whole bottle is in the 1200ish area.....too much. But i want (no need) to see what a 40 year old whiskey tastes like.
Stagg is another i like to stockpile when i come across it.

As for the Van winkle, supposedly around here in south Jersey the fuckin hurricane hit the warehouse and as such most of the cases were destroyed. That said, I am off tomorrow and will drive around the better liquor stores in delaware and Pa.
I also read the info provided about where pappy comes from. I have drinken both pappy and Buffalo trace but not together as a taste test. I am curious to see how they compare. Is there a certain BT i need to get?

Buffalo trace makes: buffalo trace itself, the Pappy Van Winkle series, George T Stagg, Eagle Rare, Elmer T Lee, Weller, and Blantons in no particular order. Eagle, Elmer, and Blantons are single barrel. Pappy and Weller are wheated bourbons, which I don't like quite as well because they are sweeter because of it, that is just personal preference though. Stagg is barrel proof, so it's almost like getting two bottles in one, dilute to your desired proof.

If there isn't a bourbon in there you don't like then you don't like bourbon! They also make sazerac rye, some kind of organic vodka, and a couple other brands like ancient age.

By the way, whisky only "ages" and improves in the barrel, so that is the only aging time that counts. I have always heard that by about 23 years, the barrel has imparted all the character it has to offer to the whisky, so any further aging is just extra evaporation. Anyone know different?

Have some 27 and 28 yr old bourbons on the shelf that are outstanding, but no 20-23 yr old for comparison.
Highly recommend Willet 27 yr old.