• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best sub sonic platform? What kind of range?

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
I'm researching sub sonic rifles lately and am wondering what would be the optimal combination for a bolt rifle build. I'm thinking maybe a .300 Whisper with a 16in bbl with 240 SMK's. I'm think the shorter barrel the better with a setup like this but please correct me if I'm wrong.

How far can you realistically reach out with a sub-sonic rifle? I'm in the process of attaining a AAC-7.62SD and would like to build a sub-sonic host. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Best sub sonic platform? What kind of range?

I'm doing an AR-15 platform with a 1:8 twist 16.25" barrel and a 12" quad rail. The 300 Whisper was designed to feed up out of an AR-15 magazine, so it makes sense to me. Range is kinda a talent thing, but 300 yards is more than plenty for what I need it for. Besides, I am running out of talent about then anyway.:)
I got hooked by a fellow snipers hide junkie and was introduced to the cartridge on a Remington 700, but I wanted something more compact for night time coyote busting, and I had an AR-15 laying around.
If I was starting from scratch, the Savage is in my mind a great way to go because you can easily change both bolt faces and barrels making it into whatever you need it to be. You can start from a bottom dweller Stevens 200 action or one of the left bolt right port bare factory actions, or anywhere in between. The ability to change barrels easily yourself seems reasonable, I'm a big fan of switch barrel already on some of my rimfire stuff.

I have a SWR Triden 9(9mm suppressor) and the guy's over there told me as long as I use sub-sonic ammo I can use it for .300 whisper. I'm coveting a AAC 7.62sd at the moment but am torn.

Really I'm wondering what the max distance people are shooting accurately with sub sonic ammo.

I am fairly happy at 300 yards with my 308 using 175SMK subsonic. I believe it was under 2moa at that range when I tried it on paper. Been a while, I don't even remember the dope. M24 rock barrel.

1000yards with a 510whisper (or what ever you want to call it because SSK isnt going to be building it)...LOL All Im doing is waiting on my reamer from PTG which should of been here last week, no personal experience but thats its claim to fame we will see very soon! 750gr AMax going 1050fps good to 1000yards with a 16.5" barrel,,,,,I cant wait to see for myself!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1000yards with a 510whisper (or what ever you want to call it because SSK isnt going to be building it)...LOL All Im doing is waiting on my reamer from PTG which should of been here last week, no personal experience but thats its claim to fame we will see very soon! 750gr AMax going 1050fps good to 1000yards with a 16.5" barrel,,,,,I cant wait to see for myself! </div></div>

Really.....
Do you have a link or anything that shows this capability?

I have shot things/coyotes with a .300 whisper, and have a friend who still owns one. The terminal ballistics of the 240gr SMK is less than optimal. I saw a rabbit shot with one, and it still made a few hops before it died. There was a small hole on both sides of the rabbit - the exit wound was the same size as the entrance.

I've moved on, and purchased a Ruger 77/44 suppressed (44 magnum). From what I have read, and people that I have talked to, this is a 200 yard and in critter killer (pigs, coyotes, etc).

I would at least go with a .338 Specter. From what I've heard, you can run those through a 9mm can as well.

I have also seen some info on the .338 spectre and have been interested to see if anyone has built a bolt rifle that shoots it, instead of an AR platform. Anyone out there shooting a bolt action .338 spectre?

patches Really..... Do you have a link or anything that shows this capability? [/quote said:
Go to SSK website and give them a call, or give me till the end of the month and Ill have mine finished! Sound very Bad ass.... 338Lapua brass cut down to 2" then necked to .510,,,,,shooting the 750gr AMax it looses less than 100fps from 0 to 600yards....That thing sounds to good to be true but like I said I have a tac338 action, Brux 1:8 twist .510barrel and a Manners T4 just waiting on the reamer and Im sure Ill have it together in one day....LMFAO The mother of all sub rounds!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=patches
Really.....
Do you have a link or anything that shows this capability? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Go to SSK website and give them a call, or give me till the end of the month and Ill have mine finished! Sound very Bad ass.... 338Lapua brass cut down to 2" then necked to .510,,,,,shooting the 750gr AMax it looses less than 100fps from 0 to 600yards....That thing sounds to good to be true but like I said I have a tac338 action, Brux 1:8 twist .510barrel and a Manners T4 just waiting on the reamer and Im sure Ill have it together in one day....LMFAO The mother of all sub rounds! </div></div>

Sounds better than bad ass......

I will be looking forward to the follow up.

WOW! I think that's out of my price range at the moment but it definitely sounds bad ass. What kind of can will you be using?

Being from MT. Im going to use an Elite Iron can made just for the 510, if I remeber its 8" long and Im going to be running a <span style="font-weight: bold">16.5" barrel </span>from Brux.. My reamer better hurry up and get here, its hard to sleep at night thinking about this build....
grin.gif