• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best Suppressor for a 50 cal

AIorBust

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2012
I'm fixing to get a 50 bmg and I would like to know what everyone thinks is the best suppressor for it. I would like to have one that doesn't have a POI shift.

A plus would be one that threads over a brake.

All Titanium would also be a plus.

Hearing safe would be a big plus as well.

Thanks in advance

Re: Best Suppressor for a 50 cal

all Ti? Good luck on that one
Hearing safe...... wont happen on a 50BMG

Look at:
AAC Cyclops, they use a brake
AWC Turbodyne
OPS INC

I can say that a suppressed .50 BMG will have more recoil than a straight muzzle brake. The Cyclops would probably be your best best as it threads onto a muzzle brake and is right at hearing safe.

-Sean

Having shot several on the market. Ops Inc all the way.

Once again the "hearing safe" BS. There is NO SUCH THING as a hearing-safe full-power suppressed centerfire rifle. The quietest ones, even in .223, are still 130+ dB which is crazy bad for your hearing over time. It may meet OSHA standards for brief workplace exposure, but we're talking about a precious resource - your ability to hear your wife, kids, music, etc.

ALWAYS wear ear protection with ANY full-power centerfire suppressed rifle.

Lol...

"your ability to hear your wife....."

For a split second I thought you were giving folks a green light to be stupid!

I've heard one of the Elite Iron .50 BMG cans and it was pretty good. As the others noted you won't find one that is really hearing safe. Even with a reduction of 30db you're still in the 140db range which is not hearing safe. On the other hand we shoot .338 lapua with no hearing protection and my can is about 138db at the shooters ear. It doesn't seem that loud but it really is.
As for brakes on suppressors that seems like a sad joke. A brake works by taking very high velocity gas and slowing it down. Energy from this action is transferred to your rifle. The change pulls your rifle forward. Even though the gas weighs little it is going at very high speed so there is a lot of energy. Redirecting the gas can add to the effect by acting like a jet and pulling a little bit more. What does a suppressor do with all that high velocity, high energy gas? It slows it down much more efficiently and effectively than any brake on the market. I've fired a number of .50 BMG suppressors and have yet to see one that isn't a better brake than any brake available. In fact, every suppressed rifle I've fired has had less felt recoil with a suppressor than with a brake. The can works much better as a brake than a brake does. . . why add a brake to a can?

Frank

"why add a brake to a can?"

So if I don't shoot with a suppressor I still have use of my arm.

I'm not talking about adding the brake to the rifle....I'm talking about the combo brake/suppressors that some are making. Having a brake and a can is one thing....having a can with a built in brake is something else.

Frank

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not in the market for a suppressor with a built in brake like the can from Barrett can...
http://www.barrett.net/firearms/qdlsuppressor

But I would like to hear it!

I'm just looking for the best can for an AW50.

I have it narrowed down to a Ops Inc and an AAC.
I don't know if the Ops Inc will fit my barrel though.

Does anyone know what threads are on an AW50?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biffj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The can works much better as a brake than a brake does. . . why add a brake to a can? </div></div>
Disagree. On smaller calibers a can works better than a brake, likely because of their low gas volume and the weight that the suppressor adds to the weapon. But for larger calibers like .338 and up, a silencer is better than an "O.K." brake, but not better than a really good brake like the AR-50's or the original Barrett brakes.

Anyone tried/seen the Barrett QD can for their M107A1?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODWay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you misunderstood me. I'm not in the market for a suppressor with a built in brake like the can from Barrett can...
http://www.barrett.net/firearms/qdlsuppressor

But I would like to hear it!

I'm just looking for the best can for an AW50.

I have it narrowed down to a Ops Inc and an AAC.
I don't know if the Ops Inc will fit my barrel though.

Does anyone know what threads are on an AW50? </div></div>

You barrel will have to be profiled to the OPS Inc. I know Ron at OPS Inc can do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biffj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The can works much better as a brake than a brake does. . . why add a brake to a can? </div></div>
Disagree. On smaller calibers a can works better than a brake, likely because of their low gas volume and the weight that the suppressor adds to the weapon. But for larger calibers like .338 and up, a silencer is better than an "O.K." brake, but not better than a really good brake like the AR-50's or the original Barrett brakes. </div></div>

I guess we'll both disagree then. The low gas volume of smaller cals reduces the effectiveness of a brake and suppressor, it doesn't enhance it. The extra gas volume and velocity of the .338 lapua and .50 BMG enhance the effectiveness of the brake and the suppressor by adding more energy to pull the barrel forward. The brake on my Desert Tactical Arms SRS .338 lapua is considered to be a good brake yet my suppressor reduces the recoil considerably better. No one who has fired both has said they thought the brake worked better. The same was said of my Boys rifle in .50 BMG using a Brake and a suppressor I built for it. All thought the brake much more effective than the original brake yet none thought the brake worked better than the can. The suppressor traps the high velocity gas much better and removes more of the energy from it to reduce recoil.

To the original poster, the OPS Inc cans are outstanding though still not hearing safe. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better off the shelf can for your .50 BMG. If you want to go the custom route you may be able to get better sound reduction or a lighter can but its hard to get both. If you just want quiet and are shooting off a bench or bipod a heavier can with better sound reduction might be worth looking at. If you are humping the rifle and can through the woods and need lightweight than you will likely lose some sound reduction. . .

Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only one I have ever shot on a 50 was from Elite Iron and belonged to a buddy of mine. The can did an amazing job.

</div></div>

+1
Shot one at their shop.

Dang the MSRP of that barrett can is $2900!... Why does the barrett name carry such a premium? Its hard for me to understand why those rifles are so high? It doesn't make any sense to me really... Its not like it took that many man hours to complete one and material wouldn't cost that...All the contracts they have around the world has paid for their CNC equipment many times over and it does the lions share of the work I would imagine.

On the Barrett

Read this:

AUXILIARY MUZZLE BRAKE

The Barrett QDL Suppressor system comes with a detachable auxiliary muzzle brake. The suppressor functions with or without
this brake, depending on your preference. The auxiliary brake will alleviate some recoil, but maximum sound and flash
suppression is accomplished without the auxiliary brake.

http://www.barrett.net/pdfs/SuppressorInstructions.pdf

Once again the "hearing safe" BS. There is NO SUCH THING as a hearing-safe full-power suppressed centerfire rifle. The quietest ones, even in .223, are still 130+ dB which is crazy bad for your hearing over time. It may meet OSHA standards for brief workplace exposure, but we're talking about a precious resource - your ability to hear your wife, kids, music, etc.

ALWAYS wear ear protection with ANY full-power centerfire suppressed rifle.
Quote for truth that most people don't know

I have a Cyclops on my AIAX50. Is it hearing safe? Not willing to find out. Adds considerable recoil also
I'm curious. I am not discounting what you say.
I have NEVER heard before of a suppressor that increases recoil. Suppressors are not as effective as a brake.
I shoot suppressed, while I don't shoot the big boys, I have shot my 7mm mag suppressed and can tell you that my suppressor did, indeed reduce the recoil.
Normally, when the high velocity gases strike the first baffle, they force the suppressor and the rifle it is attached to forward, reducing felt recoil.

While a suppressor will decrease recoil, it will not decrease it as well as a good brake. Recoil from a .50 is substantial. A 30 to 50% reduction is good on a .300 WM, but a 50% reduction on a .50 cal will still make your eyes rattle. A good clam shell brake is around 75% effective, A good suppressor is may be 65. EDM arms tested an Ops Inc with a BK2209 and got 138-139. Not great but way better than most.

All I can say is that the Cyclops does indeed increase the recoil on the AX50. Not saying it doulbes it or anything like that, but you will feel it. Does it reduce the overpressure, of course, but then again, shooting with the AAC brake is actually not that bad either. My GF goes with me when I shoot and she never once even mentioned the blast form the fifty. I have a couple of videos shooting both ways, but I can figure out how to post. Would I buy the Cyclops knowing what I know? Of course. Its adds a shit ton of cool factor!! Something else to consider on the Cyclops, is that you will have to send it back to have the locking mechanism replaced/repaired. It is a wear item, same as on the QD-Titan.

I'm resurrecting this older thread to post my experiences and announce my intention to do some better, if not scientific, testing.
About 5 years ago i got a Bushmaster BA50. The giant block muzzle brake was great for recoil but, literally, damn near gave me a concussion. I ran 10 rounds through it and about half an hour later was queasy and felt like I got out an MMA cage. I added the Cyclops and it was super reasonable in terms of recoil and sound. Generally from a concrete bench mind you.
I tried it on my Desert Tech HTI, and again it was reasonable from both recoil and sound suppression standpoint. In fact, I got the .50 barrel from a buddy who sold it to me saying the .50 on an HTI was "unpleasant"
I'm surprised to find people and videos talking about how the suppressor on a .50 increases recoil. I saw a dude on youtube with a barrett and an Innovative Arms Mojave and a high speed camera and he looked like it was beating the s**t out of him.
I have .50's to check the boxes in my collection. I'm not a developed enough shooter to shoot big bore or ELR effectively. I mainly shoot 6.5cm. I know that in 6.5 my cans are not as effective as muzzle brakes, but it doesn't feel like they increase recoil over non-suppressed. But, I never shoot unsuppressed. Maybe I'm turning into a liberal: talking about my feelings, in the face of scientific data.
I have an Innovative Arms Mojave on the way directly. I still have the Cyclops. I'll test both on the the HTI with a more objective intent and report back.
Santa brought me an M107A1 for Christmas. I'm trying to track down a QDL Suppressor in matching cerakote. I'll report back when I can. Ha.
Found an interesting power point presentation on military testing. They seem to think there is no free lunch. Always hearing unsafe. almost always increased recoil. I think the barrett won this contract, no mention of its muzzle flash reduction or it specifically being developed to reduce wear. Also no mention of an A1 variant for the M107 so probably outdated info. Still interesting.

Last edited:
I'll add a little experience of mine to the list.
Had a Barrett 99 and the brake worked well, but the recoil was stout and after a 20 round session, my neck was feeling some whiplash. We shot a few hundred rounds through that, so I knew it well. It was reasonably accurate, but not ergonomically comfy.

Traded up to a Robar RC-50 and that was a good move in all aspects.
The rifle is way more comfortable.
The trigger is match worthy.
The muzzle brake is more efficient, the recoil/ride is about as much travel, but nowhere near the shock. I don't care how many I shoot through this...no whiplash.

Also added an Elite Iron Alpha can and it is ridiculously effective. I would compare the sound at the shooters position, to that of a 150psi air hose being uncoupled about 5-10ft away from your ear. Can't believe how well that sucker works.
Recoil is noticeably less than with the Robar brake.
We've run 300 plus rounds out of this with nothing but smiles.

Reactions: knuckleballz
I'm trying to track down a QDL Suppressor in matching cerakote. I'll report back when I can.
Do yourself a favor and save your money. The QDL is by far the worst 50 BMG silencer I've ever heard. It's basically unsuppressed 308. If you want something for an M107A1 then get the CGS Keres 50 when it's available: https://www.instagram.com/p/CHlSjDMJEbi/

Do yourself a favor and save your money. The QDL is by far the worst 50 BMG silencer I've ever heard. It's basically unsuppressed 308. If you want something for an M107A1 then get the CGS Keres 50 when it's available: https://www.instagram.com/p/CHlSjDMJEbi/
Thanks Paco! You saved me cash and and an angry face, just in the nick of time. I just about had one on the way and I watched a youtube on the QDL. 163-165 decibels?! WTF. I know that the M107a1 is kind of a turd. I never bothered to research the QDL (almost much to my detriment) I was just getting it because it was “part of the package”. I’m really surprised they would bring that to market. Did the military buy it?! Truthfully the only practical .50 I’ve ever encountered is the DTA HTI. It’s the only one I could imagine carrying in the field.
Seriously. Thanks again.

Thanks Paco! You saved me cash and and an angry face, just in the nick of time. I just about had one on the way and I watched a youtube on the QDL. 163-165 decibels?! WTF. I know that the M107a1 is kind of a turd. I never bothered to research the QDL (almost much to my detriment) I was just getting it because it was “part of the package”. I’m really surprised they would bring that to market. Did the military buy it?! Truthfully the only practical .50 I’ve ever encountered is the DTA HTI. It’s the only one I could imagine carrying in the field.
Seriously. Thanks again.
I don't know that the US military bought QDLs for anything, but I'm sure there are international militaries that did. I don't know why they sell QDLs beyond that they can and some people buy them for whatever reason.

My Innovative Arms Mojave showed up and I have a few minutes of decently warm weather this afternoon. I shot a couple rounds through the HTI with the AAC Cyclops then the Mojave. I couldn't definitively or immediately tell there was much difference in volume. Both have a pleasant tone and aren't painful, but they aren't exactly quiet. I believe under 140 DB but I have no scientific way of justifying that statement. By the numbers the Cyclops is supposed to offer 32 DB reduction at 15.75" and 4lbs 15oz. vs the Mojave at 35 DB at 14" and 5lbs 3oz. The Mojave is built by a guy who answers the phone, comes cerakote to match my ODG rifle and comes with a muzzle brake that matches the bastard thread pitch that DTA uses on the HTI. (I went through a lot of trouble to get a muzzle thread adapter for the Cyclops which only comes in Barrett and McMillan pitches). I took a video of each shot. The Cyclops has a little round fireball. No flash with Mojave. The cyclops might look a little cooler, it was ahead of its time in the texture department. The mojave is smooth and plain...but it comes in 3 or 4 colors.
My initial reaction was Mojave is better, even if the sound is equal it has a slight edge for the length, color, muzzle and support. Only shot a few rounds to get initial muzzle velocities for America Eagle m33 and Hornady Amax. I've never even doped the rifle or zeroed the scope. (Razor Gen2 in a SPUHR 40 MOA mount)
I shot them without ear protection with an onlooker from an RRS tripod, as my benches are snowed in. Recoil was stout but not awful. As I mentioned in my first post, I'm untrained and unskilled in Big Bore. I'll try to get the QD brake off my M107A1 and see how they work with it.
I guess the point of resurrecting this thread was about recoil... But I'm not real excited to shoot them unsurpressed. Those old school giant brick muzzle brakes were ok, but the 2 port suppressor brakes just don't seem like they could be very effective. AAC advertised the cyclops brake to be equivalent to 300WM. color me skeptical.

Yeah a 16" barrel just like in the video above. You will be impressed. I'll let you buy me a beer after you try it.

Reactions: Clayman
FWIW & IMHO,
TBA is going .50... This makes me regret not buying an AW-50 HARDER than I normally do... $14K NIB with the full kit and steel case. I really miss the AWs.

Can't say enough good about the guys at TBA.

Regards, Matt.

Reactions: kurtispalu