• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Trajectory from 18" barrel?

Shrubjr

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2013
I've got one more question for you guys, I know there are probably lots of threads out there giving all kinds of information that would probably tell me this anyway, but I would just like some straight-up opinions, so here goes:

In your opinion, what caliber has the best trajectory from 0-800yds out of an 18" barrel, and still has a "decent" amount of wind-bucking ability, and "decent" terminal ballistics(as in mule-deer-killing power) when it gets there?

Why? because like everyone else, I want a practical rifle that shoots flatter than .308, but can still be built in a somewhat compact package.

Thanks for your opinions!

Sorry, I didn't qualify, Short action caliber.

Sorry, I need to make myself more clear, yes, I mean in reference to bullet path. As in the flattest flyer out of a short-action 18" barrel.

For instance, if I take a 18" 308, and I get say 2700fps from a 155gr Berger VLD with a g7 bc of .225, and i zero at 275yds, I'm 3.5" high at 100yds, and 125" low at 800yds. That is an OKAY trajectory, assuming I will ACTUALLY see those kinds of velocities from an 18" tube. but isn't there something out there that will fly flatter out of said 18" tube?
Something that will allow me to have less drop at 800, and not be more than 4" high at 100?

let me know if I'm still speakin french! thanks!

I would look into the short magnums. 7 mm rsaum? Just take some muffs as it will be stupid loud from a short barrel

Rifleshooter.com took a 300WM and cut the barrel inch by inch from 24.25"-16.25" and recorded velocities. They also used this data to calculate bullet drop to 1000yds.

300 Winchester Magnum: How Does Barrel Length Change Velocity- A 16? 300 Win Mag? | Rifleshooter.com

Yeah, I read that one a while back, it was a good article, but as per my original post, I am asking about short action calibers.

The longer action kind of defies the point of having a short barrel for "handiness" if I'm gonna take the weight and length penalty of a long action, I'm gonna just accept that its gonna be a big rifle and run a 24" tube or similar.

Yeah, I read that one a while back, it was a good article, but as per my original post, I am asking about short action calibers.

The longer action kind of defies the point of having a short barrel for "handiness" if I'm gonna take the weight and length penalty of a long action, I'm gonna just accept that its gonna be a big rifle and run a 24" tube or similar.

Consider a 300WSM or 300RSAUM then.

A flat, high energy, short-barrel-friendly, short action chambering is a tall order.

Ultimately, consider these trends:

Bullet mass will provide the "thwack" on targets at distance.

Larger diameter bores (for any given case capacity) will be hurt LESS by shortening the barrel. For example, barrel length is less important for velocity in a 308 vs. a 243.

If a magnum is out of the question, look at a 30-284. That will come real close to 30-06, and will provide the most case capacity in a short action .473" case.