• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best trigger for Savage 10 FP

toshu

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2011
Arizona
I am planning on buying a replacement trigger for my pre-Accutrigger Savage 10FP 308 rifle.

I have looked at the instructions for properly adjsuting the stock trigger and wire seem too much for me to try doing. Therefore i would like to hear your opinins on the following triggers in terms of Installation and good trigger pull. The SSS and Timney are about the same price and the RB is $50 more

SSS
Rifle Basix
Timney

Re: Best trigger for Savage 10 FP

I have the riflebasix in mine and it's nice. A little interesting to get adjusted but once you got it set it's there, a huge improvement over the stock one.

how easy/difficult was the RB or Timney to install and adjust????

Basix SAV-1...places like Shooters Discount have free shipping and the trigger is <$90. Takes about 5 minutes, 10 tops if you're drinking a beer, to install. I like mine quite a bit...

Lots of folks prefer the SSS Competition trigger...never used one so I can't comment on it.

It really isn't difficult to adjust a factory 3-screw trigger to a reasonable level; the hardest part is finding 0.040" wire to replace the OE trigger wire.

I have 4 of the Sharp Shooter Supply triggers and 1 of the Rifle Basix Sav2 triggers. I love my SSS triggers but honestly, not worth the trouble it takes dealing with trying to get someone on the phone. IF you do manage to get ahold of them, get ready for the lies on the ship dates etc. My latest was the Sav2 and I like it equally as well as the SSS. My vote .... Rifle Basix Sav 2

.... As far as the .040 wire, a slight improvement with ALOT left to be desired!

I love my rifle basix so far, easy to install unless you're stupid like me!

Get the Rifle Basics SAV-2 and don't look back. Crisp, and as light as you want to make it. It absolutely rivals a Jewell in a Remington. Working on 3000 rounds with mine in very dirty conditions and it hasn't missed a beat. I have run some lighter fluid through it once just because I thought should.

so...it looks like most folks like the RB Sav 2....

Glad you started this thread.

I have Timney triggers in 3 of my 4 Savages. I am very happy with them.

My 4th savage is a rimfire and it has the RB trigger and is good.

After reading these replies, I will try a RB-2 on my next center fire savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basix SAV-1...places like Shooters Discount have free shipping and the trigger is <$90. Takes about 5 minutes, 10 tops if you're drinking a beer, to install. I like mine quite a bit...

... </div></div>

+1 on the SAV-1

Another vote for the SAV-1, clean crisp and easy to install. Get it directly from Rifle Basix on their website, its $85 with free shipping last I checked.

Rifle basix +1

Got a Sav-2 trigger in a rifle that I bought used, wanted to adjust it but had no manual or parts...one phone call and three days later I had a tune up kit and instruction dvd FREE. Stand up outfit who looks after customers. I now have 3 more. Great triggers!

For those that have had the RB SAV 1 and then the RB SaV 2, I am curious what the difference is in function???/

The SAV 1 looks a lot easier to install.
Is the SAV 2 worth the extra install effort???

I've had the Sav-1 & Sav-2. I could never get the Sav-2 tuned like I wanted it, but maybe some people could. For me the Sav-1 is the way to go. I found that with the Sav-1, no creep with minimum over travel at 2lbs pull, makes for a clean and crisp trigger.

I have 2 SSS triggers and the do not recommend Locktite, my adjustors came loose and it was unsafe and started to not work - It did ride around in my truck but still....
It seems to come out of adjustment and I do not consider them reliable, I put the Accutrigger back in them..

i have the sav1, its great, better then the accu by far...
but i have also used the SSS... the SSS is a better trigger in all respects....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sharp Shooter Supply triggers not worth the trouble it takes dealing with trying to get someone on the phone.</div></div>
IM not sure if they ever have answered a phone call
they havent for me anyway
my understanding is the difference in sav 1 & sav 2
is pull wieght -Sav 2 being lighter

I've got 3 SSS Competition triggers and one Evolution trigger. The Evolution is a benchrest trigger that goes down to 2 ounces, and is the only one where you have to send the action back to SSS for installation. The Competition triggers are an easy DIY install, and available from Brownells and other resellers.