• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best value in all around aftermarket ar15 trigger

Re: best value in all around aftermarket ar15 trigger

As a highpower competitor and a trigger freak, I've had more than my share of AR triggers. What I've learned over the years is that trigger preferences are kinda individual. In Service Rifle Competition, we're limited to a 4.5 minimum total weight. Most folk like a heavy first stage (like 4lbs) and light 2nd stage. Most of us also like glass rod crispy. But there are always exceptions. I know of one multi-time National Champion that likes what I'd call a roll trigger. Another I know likes a heavy 2nd stage. This isn't even addressing the preferences of other applications such as the 3-gun folk that like a short reset with little to no take-up (read single stage). With that said, here's how I rate what I've had the opportunity to spend time with;

1) Geissele (it's "Guys-Lee"). I've only got time o the High Speed. Not the 10 other variations he's come up with since. I've got the Service and Match weight triggers. Ultra Crisp, Ultra consistent. Adjustable for weight bias. It's been long lasting to date. Comes with a great install and lube kit. Customer Service second to none.

2) KAC (aka Knight or Stoner). I've got a bunch of these. Adjusted and tuned, they're as crispy and consistent as I've ever pulled. Never had one go bad on me. I've had a friend complain that it was slow on the lock-time. I never had a chance to put this to the test. Dave Tubb seemed to agree that the unique geometry of this trigger allowed for a crisp let-off. I think he complained about the lock time too though.

3) Milazzo-Krieger (MKII). The grand daddy of the dedicated Match AR triggers. These really need to be set up by someone that knows what they're doing. That done, they're great and last forever. This is all moot since even the AMU can't get them.

4) Holliger Tuned RRA. I think this is the hands down best value in an AR trigger. I'm fortunate to have had John work mine over. It's 90% of the Geissele at 40% of the cost. Yes, it lost weight as it wore in. But after the first thousand rounds or so, I tuned it back and it's been solid since. Some folks will complain about the lock time. I actually measured it and it's within spittin' distance of the G. This was actually confirmed by another source I trust.

I have a Jewell, and lived through their QC issues and early teething. Mine is inconsistent from pull to pull (but then I'm pretty picky). I've also put in triggers for others that were crispy and great. I've also seen Marine guns with Jewells like mine. On that basis and with their springs losing power, it's hard to recommend these triggers.

I've played with an AR Gold. It's made for another game. See above for how I like mine set up. The Gold is heavy on the first stage. It's supposed to be ultra crispy. The one I played with wasn't. Could be how it was set up. Sample of one and because it's not SR legal, I'm not likely to put much more time on one.

Frank White makes great things for the AR....except his trigger. Don't mess with the CLE trigger. I have a friend that actually wins stuff with his, but he's one out of a hunert.

One promising trigger that I have, but haven't installed is the X-treme.

Single stage triggers. I don't feel comfortable with them. To get a good feel, you're playing with engagement. On a semi, there's the potential to go too thin which can be very bad juju. With the current crop of 2 stage triggers, the hammer is captured until you hit the 2nd stage. That's my baggage from my application.

If you disagree with the above, please refer to my 2nd sentence. No disrespect intended. It's just my experiences and preferences.