• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best varmint rifle from factory?

Best out of the box is a Tikka T3 in 22-250.

Edit

In my opinion, the best factory 22-250 for under $800 is a Tikka T3 Varmint.

- See my post below for an explanation.

Last edited:
I got to hold a tikka yesterday (not my first time) and I got to say, they sure are nice, I held the dealer special version it was a fluted stainless 22-250 lite and the bolts are quick and smooth.

Why?

Or were you simply planning on narrowing it down to a serial number?

I have a 700 VS with a Jewel trigger, and good glass. I have shot comparable Tikkas and Savages. The Tikkas out shot the savages and my 700 hands down.

The Tikka has the smoothest action of the bunch and a fantastic factory trigger. I also like the side bolt release and detachable magazine on the Tikka. Some will say that the Tikka mags are crap, but I have owned a Tikka Tac .308 for over 5 years and have yet to have any mag issues. I wish I would have bought my Tikka Tac before my 700 VS, because I would have purchased a Tikka Varmint when they were around $600.

Sure there may be very expensive factory rifles like Cooper or HS Precision that may outshoot a Savage, Tikka, or Remington. But their price points put them more in the custom realm in my opinion.

So I guess I will rephrase my original claim. In my opinion, the best factory 22-250 for under $800 is a Tikka T3 Varmint.

Since purchasing my DTA SRS, I have taking it out varmint hunting the last couple years with my .260 conversion in order to become more familiar with the rifle and caliber. (A DTA in .243 would be a fantastic varmint rifle, but again its factory price point puts it into the custom rifle category.) There are times that I have missed the flat shooting 22-250 for my sub 500 yards shots over the past couple years. I hate to sell guns, but if I happen to get back into shooting 22-250, I will probably sell my 700 VS and pick up a Tikka T3 Varmint.

Last edited:
I got to hold a tikka yesterday (not my first time) and I got to say, they sure are nice, I held the dealer special version it was a fluted stainless 22-250 lite and the bolts are quick and smooth.

The light weight fluted version is great for a walk about rifle, but if you are going to use it for prairie dog hunting, where you will heat up the barrel while shooting longer strings, you would be better served with the heavy barrel varmint version.

I have shot multiple Tikka T3 Lite rifles and they have all shot extremely well. My brother's Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WSM shoots more accurate short strings than my Uncle's Christensen Arms Carbon Custom in 300 WSM. For a walk about hunting rifle, the Tikka T3 Lite is very hard to beat.

i see this is a little older thread but im new and just found.. i have a t3 varmint i bought in may 2004 right as they were new and barely available.. great accurate rifle..i've shot several thousand rounds with zero probs... the only thing i didnt like about it was at the time there wasnt any aftermarket stocks or anything like they have now.. which is cool because i really like it they way it is anyway lol... i shoot off the shelf shells and it shoots them all really well. ass good as i need anyway. I have a bushnell elite 3500 firefly optic for woodchucks or coyotes.. so im not going to pretend im a long range shooter with it.. all ill say is the gun shoots way better than i do... and i did shoot im going to guess no bullshitting 3500-4000 round agsin with zero problems. i also had rw hart & son inc in north east p.a. go over the gun to check the barrel to check for wear and adjust the trigger and the barrel was still fine..im glad i got one then because the price now is crazy haha happy hunting

Interesting thread. For me, I found my nirvana in the CZ527 Varmint Kevlar. I had the tube shortened to 18", punched out to AI, and mounted a Leupold Mark AR 4-12 on it, and it became my do everything rifle.

If you can find them I'd say the Winchester heavy varmints are as accurate a factory rifle as can be purchased. Beyond that I'd say find a cooper and you'll fall in love with the workmanship and the wood they use on those rifles.

Sent from my Jail Broken iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD

Tikka t3 varmint SS. Best out-of-the-box rifle today.

Dont mean to offend you americans, but Remington is a half-made rifle.

If that is the case then I might suggest that Americans begins with a capital letter, the same way Sweden does.

Gents,

Take a hard look at the older Winchester Stealth series. I have one in .223 and it consistently shoots 1/2 MOA with 69 grain SMK's. Not bad for a "out of the box" rifle!

Wes