• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best way to cut foam in Pelican Case?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
What the best way? I seen on some site Mark Larue had some thing he put together to cut but I know they sell some copyrighted somewhere but where? Any step by step cutting help? I want it done right and dont want to hack it all up. I have 2-1720 cases for a .223 AR build and 6.5 Grendel Build. I also would like to cut some spots out for things like Harris bi-pod, cleaning rod, mags, small 2"x 2"x1" box i keep cleaning brushes,mops,jags and patches in, accushot magpul prs stock mount and a Springfield XD .45 if I could fit it but i dont think so. Anybody got some pics or ANYTHING that could help me would be appreciated. thanks

Re: Best way to cut foam in Pelican Case?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What the best way? I seen on some site Mark Larue had some thing he put together to cut but I know they sell some copyrighted somewhere but where? Any step by step cutting help? I want it done right and dont want to hack it all up. I have 2-1720 cases for a .223 AR build and 6.5 Grendel Build. I also would like to cut some spots out for things like Harris bi-pod, cleaning rod, mags, small 2"x 2"x1" box i keep cleaning brushes,mops,jags and patches in, accushot magpul prs stock mount and a Springfield XD .45 if I could fit it but i dont think so. Anybody got some pics or ANYTHING that could help me would be appreciated. thanks </div></div>

Hi LR30,

I had to make a hotwire cutter for a CF composite project that I was working on. I got some NiCr wire from an electronics store. Made a bow from tomato stakes and electrical conduit and put 12volts to it and it works a treat. The trick is to have a patern to follow. (drag the wire over). I was going to make a patern of the parts that I want to cut out. Thread the wire through the foam, ad 12 volts and run the wire around the patern.

Sorry don't know how to post pics but if you PM me your email I'll take a couple of the cutter and send them to you.

Cheers,

Frank

AN electric carving knife works pretty good, just trace out your guns on the opposite side of the foam and go slow.

Ron

A hot-wire table is probably the best.

I didn't have one and the crappy home cutter I bought didn't get hot enough. I just resorted to the sharpest knife I own. A Microtech SOCOM did just fine. It won't be in any modern art museum, but it keeps my gear safe from the Baggage Monkeys.

Once you get your stuff laid out the way you want it, use a silver sharpie to draw the outline. Then just follow the outline.

Do a search. This has been addressed numerous times. I would restate everything, but I am sick, and not gonna happen today.
The info is there.

I too have the cheap hotwire foam cutter. It wouldn't get hot enough either. So I resorted to an ellectric fillet knife.

As stated above, for the cost, best way is an electric carving knife.

I just used a razor-box cutter type deal. Mine's a tool to house a tool, so I'm not worried about it being a museum piece

-Actually the foam now lives next to my safe and my bag/mat is in the hard case with the rifle in it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheap Electric carving knife from Walmart, works like a champ. </div></div>

+1

you know those snap off razor blades that slide out the handle like 5 inches ??
wink.gif

I wonder how much that set up cost. Everything you see in that case as a package deal..

P1018002.jpg

Just got in the long 1750 pelican case in for my LR-308 and I have a newbie question on this. I read somewhere on the internet that you should cut out a small piece of foam for the "plug"? Does that have anything to do with the air tight device and the hole inside it?

I dont have the time to construct the cutting apparatus above, so I plan on outlining everything in chalk and just follow the instructions. I do however plan to use an exacto blade to cut it out.

Sound good so far?

there is also that place that will cut it for you. i cant find the link, but you just take a picture, send it in and they do it from there. only tip is to cut inside the lines so its a tight fit, then you can always make it bigger with nice clean cuts and straight edges. hell i just toss my stuff in the case. try that for a week or two and see if it leaves enough of an impression to cut around

I ended up getting a hot wire cutter from these guys:
http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/home.php

I traced out my gear on some poster board, carefully cut it out, then pinned it to the foam. Then took a knife and punched a hole in the foam to feed the wire through and slowly (otherwise the wire broke) followed the patterns. Works like a charm. Did one case for a Rem 700 LTR and another for a S&W MP15 for a friend.

I used a sharp knife, from a Leatherman. The one with the serrated or ripple(?) style blade. As long as it's really sharp and long, it'll do fine. I'll post pics later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used a sharp knife, from a Leatherman. The one with the serrated or ripple(?) style blade. As long as it's really sharp and long, it'll do fine. I'll post pics later. </div></div>

+1

Ok. I am not sure what went wrong. I actually traced my rifle etc. with a wet erase marker. The kind you use on a overhead projector. Worked much better than chalk. Used a serrated blade and made up and down vertical cuts pretty much like a electric knife. Not perfect, but it worked.
Went to "Michaels" and bought a can of adhesive spray for foam like the instructions suggested. Sprayed together the bottom two layers. Didnt really work well at keeping the pieces together, but thats the least of my problems. I left them stacked on top of one another in the bottom of the case with the lid open. I placed some heavy books on top to keep some pressure. Came back after about an hour and tried everything out and shut the case.

NOW....the o-ring (the rubber lining going around the outside of the top lid) has expanded falls out of its groove around the edge of the lid!!! It expanded in length, not width. It is now 2-3 inches too long! What in the world happened?! Didnt use anything that wasn't in the instructions? I laid my elongated o-ring outside of the box and shut it.
eek.gif
Maybe it will tighten back up over night..but I doubt it. Its WAY stretched out. I have not even used the case for a week!

You seem to have trapped a solvent inside the case and it melted your o-ring. Was it kinda sticky/sweaty too? I'd let Pelican know what you used so that if there's a known bad combo, they can post it to their site.

I know of a guitar manufacturer that had a whole bunch of unhappy customers when a popular polishing compound company decided to add an alcohol to their spray. It was fine for polyurethane finishes... not so much for nitro-lacquer. $3k guitars with melted finishes, oops. Likewise a certain rubber found on many stands will react with the nitro. Store clerks ruined many specimens.

The solvent in the spray on foam glue did it. Let the gasket out-gas in the hot Texas syn and it may shrink back...may not. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BugSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You seem to have trapped a solvent inside the case and it melted your o-ring. Was it kinda sticky/sweaty too? I'd let Pelican know what you used so that if there's a known bad combo, they can post it to their site.

</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this was the pelican that my dsr came with
rdevrv.jpg
[ </div></div>

Now that is a layout worth looking at.

The adhesive spray that I used is:

Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Spray

Says on the can its great for "foam and plastic". Obviously not rubber though! Any certain stores carry those things? I would hate to have to order one. Ill call Pelican tomorrow and see what they say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used a filet knife. Works very well.

183-travel-vault.jpg
</div></div>
Show off! No really nice setup you have there.

I had a lot of problems with the foam coming out when I pulled the rifle out of the case. I assume that is because of the lack of adhesive on the back, and not because its too tight on the rifle?

Any method work well for smoothing out the edges of the cut outs?

As promised, here's a pic of my Hardigg case that I cut with a sharp Leatherman Wave:

942276.jpg

was just at a hobby store and they had a hot knife for cutting foam for $25. Wish I had scene one of these readily valable before I cut my last hardigg case.

Can't beat the chalk outline and electric carving knife. Just take your time.

I made a hot-wire. Simple project, and it works well. Up until the point where I warped up the dial, just to see how fast I could cut stuff. (Efficiency test,,, yeah,,,,, we'll call it that!!!) Killed the transformer, and need to replace it.

No big deal at all. Just haven't done that yet. Take it easy, take your time, and don't push it. It'll plug away smoothly, and with detail.

Regarding the top "corners" they can be rounded off nicely with a small butane torch. With a small pencil-type flame, you can "clean up" the edges very well. Practice on a piece of scrap first.

I'm looking at getting a few new pieces of foam from the member here, to "re-arrange" a few of my cases, as well as to set up with different options.

I have always used the same method, and while it might be a tad messy, it works great and gives very crisp and precise cuts. The first thing to do is to figure out the lay-out. This takes some thought so don't rush it, try different styles and placements, till you are happy with the arrangement. Now with everything in place, mark the form, with a new sharpie pin, or similar object and take your time while tracing the various objects, keep a tight profile and always mark closer then away. Now remove the foam liner and place on a tray or sink, slowly pour water over the foam and allow it to soak into the material. You do not have to totally soak it full, but it should be more than a spray on coating. It is important that you have at least the front and back soaked for the first 1/2" or more. Now place the foam in the freezer and allow to harden, remove and cut along the outlined section with a very sharp fillet or electric knife. Smooth and constant will get the best results. Once all the cutting is none, allow to defrost, wring out the water and allow to dry, then insert into case and add your equipment. It works for me!

The other day I happen to push down on my pelican case and noticed that air was being pushed out and sucked in through the hole on the front side. Is that normal? If its water proof, why does it push out and suck in air? Wouldnt moisture go in as well??

6" keyhole saw has worked for me. $10.

I have used 3M 66 spray contact adhesive to stick the foam togeather. I did use it outside the pelican case though. The foam cuts real nice with a power bread knife.
I hardly use my hard cases, I like softcases better for my needs. I don't fly much. I think I'd ditch the foam and just use my softcases inside the pelican.
I find it real funny when some newby comes to the indoor range packing a full sized hardcase with 1- 16" AR and a pistol inside. Thing weighs like 50 lbs with all the ammo inside. The thing swings them around instead of the other way around.
I was young once too, I guess. JPG

Razor blades to score the foam and them a good serrated knife(steak knife) works fine. Just be patient and take your time. Cut all the way through and them you can cross cut the pieces in half you removed and glue them own in the holes where they were cut from. Do not drink beer while doing this project...

IMHO, the best way is to buy a Pick 'N' Pluck foam insert.