• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Youth Deer Rifle

vetman1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2012
Georgia
I want a rifle for my two boys to start deer hunting with this next season. The catch is it needs to have a short or adjustable stock and threaded for a Silencerco Suppressor. These are the options I am considering.

Remington Micro 7 in .300 Blackout

Remington 700 SPS in .300 Blackout and change the stock and flute the barrel

Remington 700 youth in .243 Sporter profile threaded

.300 Blackout Upper with adjustable gas block so that I have to manually cycle the action

Any and all help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How big are your boys?

My two 10 year daughters have both shot/shoot a .270 Win with a muzzle break for deer/elk. Awesome round shooting the 150 ABLR.

My 12 year old is hunting with a TC Encore in .308. Worked well for him at 85 pounds. He put a deer and an elk in the Freezer. The barrel is easy for any decent smith to thread. Easy to change calibers, lengths, etc.

R700 243 youth was what my boy got. Still like that rifle for a light easy shooting rifle. Excellent shooter to boot.

Ryan

Rem 700 youth out of those choices. It's the solid choice, the .243 is near about the ideal whitetail-killa. don't go the snake oil route for his 1st rifle.

You might look at some of the different chassis, since they are adjustable you might have enough adjustment to fit now. Then as they grow you can extend the adjustments as needed. Then you can use any 700 barreled action and also change caliber has they handle more recoil.

I went with the 700 youth 243 for my 10 yr old son, had to wait till a lefty showed up at Buds Gun Shop but it was worth it. I went a different route and ordered a McMillan Classic with a 13" LOP with 1/2" Decelerator pad. Shooting light loads with 70 grain NBT right now, will load a few rounds with the 85 TSX when it's time to shoot deer. Then when he gets bigger (he's already over 5') I'll have the 1/2" pad taken off and put a 1" pad on it, presto we have a 13.5" LOP!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

how old are your kids? And how much are you willing to spend on these two rifles for them? Set up to reload 300blk?

FWIW, I killed deer with a 223 and soft points when I was a kid. They are blacktail deer out here though and not very large.

My son shot the mossberge 7-08 from 9 to 14. Has fluted barrel and stock spacers that can be added as they grow and the gun will shoot 1" group at 100. Many deer have meet there maker due to that boy and his rifle. Had a 300wsm built for him this year for is 15th birthday. Time to join the big leagues.

Take this with a grain of salt... Pick the rifle they will use when they are big and older and use reduced velocity loads while they are still young. No sense in having something they will grow out of. Just my two cents.

My 8 year old son killed his first deer this past season with a 300 BLK Handi Rifle. It's already threaded and he likes to practice shooting with the suppressor attached. (Currently not legal to hunt with suppressors here in LA, but it is in the works for this year).