• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Better to spend $ on ammo or components?

DocGlenn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2006
North Georgia
A case of Wolf Match 75 gr can be back ordered at midway for $625 (late may arrival) or I could put that $ towards brass, bullets, powder and primers and roll my own. I've never reloaded .223 or even picked up my brass, and I'm thinking now might be a good time to start. Any suggestions? Is it practical to load .223 or does make more sense to wait on the bulk? Thanks!

I'm going to post this in the reloading forum also. I hope that's ok.

Re: Better to spend $ on ammo or components?

I'd think you'd get more bang for the buck buying components.

You'll get more ammo for the money by reloading. Alone from being able to find a load specifically for your rifle accuracy wise, you can also load a general load in 556 ball or something. Get a progressive press such as a Dillon then it is just what your time is valued at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd think you'd get more bang for the buck buying components. </div></div>

^^ What the man said!! ^^

You can pretty quickly recoup your initial investment in reloading equipment, supplies, etc. With the Wolf Match stuff at $0.63/round retail (it'll end up being more than that with S&H factored in), you can pretty quickly reload a comparable load with match projectiles for <1/2 that cost per round. Now, of course you have to factor in what the "cost of your time" in reloading will be which obviously has SOME value (i.e. - you could be spending time shooting instead of reloading if you buy retail...or you could be spending time with the family, etc. instead of reloading, etc., etc.).

In this day and age, your money is well spent getting setup to reload.

What's your primary interest--training at all distances or just long range? What accuracy do you need--F-class or 3-gun? Any liability involved--duty, contract work?

I don't see a way around reloading if your goal is small groups on paper.

I don't see a way around factory ammo if liability is involved.

What's time availability and worth to YOU?

I primarily 3-gun. I use a lot more 55gr 150yd max ammo than I do long range. One of my 14.5" 1/7 ARs can throw some batches of AE .223 into .33" groups at 100yds. Consistently. So I don't mind loading the relatively few longer range loads. But the inspect/prep/load time isn't worth it on the 55gr stuff. Well, as long as I can still find it .35 or less. I have to hawk the boards to snap it up before anyone else.

For me, the reloading time is better served for precision 5.56 and .308.

Hands down. Reload.

I remember a couple years ago people were debating if reloading 9mm was worth it. Haven't seen that question in quite a while.

i pickup my 223 brass and resize and reload all with a single stage. I am doing 3k rounds now with h335 ball powder and 50gr hornady vmaxs. Not counting the cost of my time or brass it will wind up being 750 dollars give or take for 3k rounds for bullets, powder, and primers. or 25 cents a round. I see the 77gr sieras selling for 100 bucks per 600 or so so they are a little more, think it would wind up being a little under 30 cents a round. On the other hand if you can get ahold of the cheap 55gr fmjbt those were going for 10 bucks per hundred which would cost around 20 cents a round to reload. this is figuring in free brass tho. Even if you figure in buying brass you should still be well under 65 cents a round.

+1
Reloading is the way to go as stated "get the Dillon" and never look back
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magstang1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hands down. Reload.

I remember a couple years ago people were debating if reloading 9mm was worth it. Haven't seen that question in quite a while. </div></div>

Thanks guys. I've already got the equipment, but I've just loaded for the "expensive" stuff, 7wsm, 300wsm, and .375 Ruger. I guess I need o start shopping for dies and components. Figured as much. Thanks again!

If you like being meticulous and tinkering (which I suspect you are if you're into target shooting) then reloading is the way to go.

You have an itial outlay on reloading gear. Once that is done you can add up the cost of brass, primers, powder, and bullets to figure out if loading or using is cheaper.

For high quality ammo, reloading oa almost always cheaper, and loads can be tailored to your rifle for optimum performance.

I agree quality ammo can be reloaded cheaper . However if you don't already have a good supply of components right now you will be hard pressed to find any.

I just placed an order with Cabelas and Midway, mostly .308 & .223 components. About half of what I ordered had to be back ordered, which is ok if I eventually get it, but at least I'm on the list.

If you've already started reloading, especially for rifle, then the extra expense is worth it to start reloading .223.

Components is another matter. I still remember the 2008-2009 primer shortage. Took some time for that to normalize. Stock up when you can when things cool down some. At least it doesn't seem like reloading is "evil" yet.

with all that,s going on right now, do you really want to wait? they stopped imports from china, how long until they stop anything coming in the has to do with shooting? buy what you can now, reload, PICK UP YOUR BRASS and reload it again. you may get lucky and come back with more than you went with. use the mixed brass for blasting and the good stuff for.....who knows.

Reloading all the way.

However, you maybe up shit creek. Reloading components for anything "ar" is rapidly disappearing around here. Powder, primers, and brass are the tough ones, especially for 223. Graf's are out of primers and powder. Scheels out of primers and bullets. Cabelas is really picked over on everything in Owatonna.

I bought 10,000 62 Grain Armscore bullets, 1000 175 gr 308 bullets, and 10,000 9mm Zero bullets in 08 and I am still using out of that initial buy. IT HURT to lay out the cash at first, but I have never regretted it. I dip into it and load ammo as prices get stupid, or ammo gets scarce. This is just for practice ammo, I have my "go to the hills" stash that I don't touch-Green Tip, Tracer, Fed Gold Medal 308, and Black Hills 75.

I say get your "go-to" stash, and then buy components as you can.

Right now even components to make a round are scarce as hell...

I would go for components. You can custom make everything you shoot and extract as much performance as you can.

Unbelievable that people are equating what will end up being watered down restrictions on hi-cap mags and some semi as a possibility that reloading components will be made illegal. I've been buying stuff when it's on sale ever since prices started going way up with the commodities bubble during the Bush years. A lot of folks are going to have some painfully large credit card bills coming soon. But don't stop until the floorboards on the trailer bust through.

I've been reloading since about '08. Have recouped my cost several times over.

With "picked up" brass my material cost is $.17/rd. I suspect that will increase when bullets come back in stock.