• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beware the new disease, affluenza

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Un Fucking Believable....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year, the saga of Ethan Couch came to light when angry people all over the world blasted a judge who said the 17-year-old suffered from “affluenza” and only sentenced him to probation in the drunk driving incident that left four people dead. Now, a judge has only required Couch’s parents to pay for a small fraction of his monthly rehabilitation bill, leaving the rest to taxpayers.

On June 15, 2013, 16-year-old Ethan Couch got drunk and crashed his car into a group of pedestrians, killing four and injuring two. During the trial, Couch’s attorneys argued that the boy suffered from “affluenza,” meaning that coming from wealthy parents made him feel entitled and therefore make bad decisions. The attorneys argued that Couch needed rehabilitation, not jail, and in the end, the judge agreed.

Dr. Dick Miller, the psychologist who first used the term “affluenza” while in court, defended his stance during the trial.

“He pled guilty. He said ‘I did it’” said Miller. “[He said] ‘I was there, I was in the truck, I was driving and we ran over four people.’ My responsibility is to say what is best for this child. What’s best for this 16-year-old boy? And that’s what I told the judge. I used my 30 years of experience to say among the choices, with the kinds of resources that we had, what’s the best treatment for this kid? I don’t believe going to the penitentiary was best for him.”

Now, a judge says that Couch’s parents will only have to pay $1,170 a month towards the boy’s rehabilitation, despite the fact that the services cost $715 a day. The rest of the money, shockingly, will come from the taxpayers’ pockets.

"The family respects the decision of the facility and the court, and will honor the payment system the court has put in place," said Lance Evans, attorney for Fred and Tonya Couch.

So far, most of the victims’ families have settled or are in the process of settling with Ethan Couch’s parents, but the family of Lucas McConnell, who was killed at just 13 years old, says they refuse to settle their lawsuit against the Couch family.

"It's just another step in a long journey,” said Kevin McConnell to WFAA. “We plan to be there for all the steps."

For now, Ethan Couch remains on probation and will spend, reportedly, at least six months in a rehab facility while the American taxpayers, including family members of the victims, will foot most of the bill.

Hmm thats weird, the term affluenza does not appear in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistic Manual of Mental Disorders). There must be more to the story.

Things like this really make my blood boil. :mad: I've followed this case off/on for a while.

Months before the accident this same kid was cited for minor in consumption and minor in possession of alcohol. Supposedly his parents make around 500k a year.

Affluenza, talk about a double standard. Such bullshit.

People around here are pissed, while I don't live in that county those that do will remember in November.

I have personally seen money buy people out of what would have been a prison sentence. Its no wonder why people are mad at the government.

I suffer from a disease calle BTA. The Boot To Ass disease is brought on as a direct result of the affluenza syndrome. When the Affluenza
    disease is not present the BTA disease goes into remission.

This has bothered me all day. After reflecting on it I think you really cant blame the Liar. He just did the best he could for the client. Certainly some blame for the parents. More for the kid who should get his ass beat to a bloody pulp by the parents of the victims. The judge who allowed this travesty, was not doubt bought and paid for, and deserves a small caliber entry wound, base of skull, future problems solved.

Please note, this is not a threat, just wishful thinking.

I suffer from a disease calle BTA. The Boot To Ass disease is brought on as a direct result of the affluenza syndrome. When the Affluenza
    disease is not present the BTA disease goes into remission.

I think I suffer from that too. I also suffer from KtoC disease as well. If someone is gonna be a pussy, I am obligated to put my boot square in the cunt. Like I would kick a field goal in an NFL game.

What ever happened to depraved-indifference and second degree murder charges for something like this? It's hard to believe that this can take place in this day and age of constant media intrusion, but, as was said upthread, people will remember who stood in the way of real justice for the victims and their families.

I believe it's who you know in these situations. A couple of years ago a female judge- driving while intoxicated and RUNNING from the police- got her DWI thrown out of court. Apparantly the hospital where the blood samples were taken was not the proper environment for said procedure. This also was in the DFW area.

I have done work in some of the DuPont's may homes I can tell you there is no shortage of $$$$ to dig them out of there own shit! I'm so tired of it but what can you do

Few will remember on election day. Media won't bring it up again, not the case, not the judge, not person who appointed him. (assuming appointment) A rally at the court house won't be covered,(unless violence takes place) 'cause media makes too, much money from elections.

Affluenza, sounds like a first world problem/disease.

Symptoms include: wearing sunglasses at night, popped collars, spray tan, pouty lips, and possessing money you did not earn yourself.
    Side Effects include: oompa-loompa tans, excessive social media posts, insecurity, and manslaughter

I wonder if the poor folks will be allowed to claim povertitus now?

what would the outcome have been if a family member of one of the dead ended this kid.. He than would have been a vigil anti and thrown in jail. He would have become a POW of Class war fair

Few will remember on election day. Media won't bring it up again, not the case, not the judge, not person who appointed him. (assuming appointment) A rally at the court house won't be covered,(unless violence takes place) 'cause media makes too, much money from elections.

The judge recently announced her retirement. Her term will be over at the end of this year, unfortunately it's a few years too late.

The judge recently announced her retirement. Her term will be over at the end of this year, unfortunately it's a few years too late.

I wonder if her retirement savings received a recent boost? Perhaps 5-10 million? It would be interesting to find out if she has any out of the country bank accounts.

I wonder if her retirement savings received a recent boost? Perhaps 5-10 million? It would be interesting to find out if she has any out of the country bank accounts.

^^^^^^

Well most of the families accepted their blood money payments & the one that didn't settle, is simply going for more (which they will probably find out comes to less after the lawyers get their cuts from a trial & appeal).

Ancient just law says you either get vengeance or blood money NOT both.
    The government on all levels fully embraces this when they are at fault and pays off any of their mistakes with your tax money.

So unless the families turn down all the money, I don't see why they have any right to bitch about the sentence.

Everybody thinks it's all the rage to bitch about people that have lots of money, but think of it this way.. If the person who was driving the truck was some totally broke ass poor kid, sure they would probably get a few years in prison.... and the families would get nothing vs. getting most likely a million+ each.

Perhaps before people get all communist rabble riot type, you could suggest to offer the families a trade... you turn all the money back over and get nothing & the kid will go to jail for a few years the same as a broke juvenile would..... my guess is lots of moral outrage... but they keep the money.

If I get run over while out one day, it would really suck if it was by some broke person & all my family got was seeing their tax dollars keep them in jail for some years.
    On the other hand, if it was somebody wealthy & they can come out a million or two ahead... well I'd way prefer that outcome.

Well most of the families accepted their blood money payments & the one that didn't settle, is simply going for more (which they will probably find out comes to less after the lawyers get their cuts from a trial & appeal).

Ancient just law says you either get vengeance or blood money NOT both.
    The government on all levels fully embraces this when they are at fault and pays off any of their mistakes with your tax money.

So unless the families turn down all the money, I don't see why they have any right to bitch about the sentence.

Everybody thinks it's all the rage to bitch about people that have lots of money, but think of it this way.. If the person who was driving the truck was some totally broke ass poor kid, sure they would probably get a few years in prison.... and the families would get nothing vs. getting most likely a million+ each.

Perhaps before people get all communist rabble riot type, you could suggest to offer the families a trade... you turn all the money back over and get nothing & the kid will go to jail for a few years the same as a broke juvenile would..... my guess is lots of moral outrage... but they keep the money.

If I get run over while out one day, it would really suck if it was by some broke person & all my family got was seeing their tax dollars keep them in jail for some years.
    On the other hand, if it was somebody wealthy & they can come out a million or two ahead... well I'd way prefer that outcome.

So the families should get the money and the kid should go to jail. Win/Win...or Lose/Lose if your on the other side.

I think this is such horseshit. The money didn't ruin these kids the lack of discipline does it. Some parents try to instill discipline, honesty, integrity into their kids and are thwarted at every turn by society and it's current penchant for blaming others for everything that happens. Those parents worked hard, became successfull and are now being blamed for gaining their piece of the American dream. The kid should've been horsewhipped when he came home drunk. If that would've happened how different this headline would be. Don't blame the money...blame the liberals. That's where the problems arise.

I think this is such horseshit. The money didn't ruin these kids the lack of discipline does it. Some parents try to instill discipline, honesty, integrity into their kids and are thwarted at every turn by society and it's current penchant for blaming others for everything that happens. Those parents worked hard, became successfull and are now being blamed for gaining their piece of the American dream. The kid should've been horsewhipped when he came home drunk. If that would've happened how different this headline would be. Don't blame the money...blame the liberals. That's where the problems arise.

Its not just the liberals. Watch the video on Oligarchy. Its an attitude that transcends party boundaries.