• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beyond keto

The D

We’re not supposed to be nice!
Minuteman
  • Apr 11, 2020
    Keto seems to be all the rage now. But has anyone gone full hipster and tried the carnivore diet?

I’m saying I’m trying it but I can’t be consistent with it. My wife is at least pretty consistently keto so it’s not a giant challenge to get a decent chunk of time on a decent plan

Wife and I have been KETO for 8 years and will never go back. I don't want to be a diabetic again.
    I was skinny when I started but put on 15lbs muscle pretty easily in a year.
    Now am carnivore 80% of the time and feel even better.
    Its just a matter of saying no to foods with carbs and yes to meat.

That’s awesome. I’ve spent the vast majority of my life since my teens in gyms and being active. But since we’ve had kids I haven’t done shit and my borrowed time is starting to wear out. I just need to stop being a weak-willed bitch and commit. But I fucking love some little debbie garbage...

What does the carnivore portion of your diet look like? And the ~20% that’s not?

Edit: and, do you eat organs?

Reactions: Wags
    I stopped working out 20 years ago after some injuries and while I didn't gain much weight do to active lifestyle I lost a bunch of muscle and tone. Had a 42 inch chest after basic to a 38 inch then with keto back to 40 with no exercise. Muscle memory likes keto?
    Typical day keto is 500 calories bulletproof coffee.
    Snacks of beef jerky and dark chocolate during the day another 500 calories.
    Dinner tonight will be 3/4 ish lb hamburger patty fried in 4 tablespoons butter with 2 oz cheese on top with butter poured over the top when on plate. Another 1100 calories or so.
    When carnivore I drop the coffee and chocolate and add more meat.
    I have a bunch of omelets with meat and cheese.
    I find the key to eat a bunch and never get hungry.
    It was hard at first but after awhile it just became a way of life.

Awesome, thanks.

I’ve been intermittent fasting for a long time and I’m having a hard time(partly because of a new work schedule) temporarily interrupting that schedule to help break my sugar cravings.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
    Wife and I have been KETO for 8 years and will never go back. I don't want to be a diabetic again.
    I was skinny when I started but put on 15lbs muscle pretty easily in a year.
    Now am carnivore 80% of the time and feel even better.
    Its just a matter of saying no to foods with carbs and yes to meat.
    How long were you keto before you tried carnivore? Or did that happen around the same time?

Been Keto with IF for over a year. Didn't do it for health reasons, but I wanted to get to sub 10% bodyfat (hard for me to hit that number and stay there). I'm glad I did it as the tag-along advantages have been worth it. The ONLY thing - I bonk more often, mostly in the morning before my first meal. Caffeine pill helps with that a lot.

I have also found that I need to pursue a carnivore diet to keep a really good Keto. Shit sneaks in: if I am out and need a quick meal I will usually grab an Ecrich sausage. Looks like I'm eating a dick, but it gets the job done. But those things DO have sugar and it can push me to the limit of where I need to be. A lot of stuff does, so Keto can get tricky unless you are planning and pre-making meals. At least it does for me.

Yeah being too strict with Keto turns it into a "diet" and no one seems able to maintain a diet.

I explain it as a "life choice".

Im just not going to eat carbs or more correctly processed shit.

I very rarely experience serious hunger pangs and energy deficit.

Eating keto, paleo, Adkins or whatever you want to call it provides high quality energy in a form that does not easily convert for fat storage.

If I had to "think about" and "plan" meals eating would become a burden.

The way I look at it is I can eat anything I want as long as it comes from the perimeter of the grocery store.

As always "moderation" and exercise are necessary but absolutely no guilt about eating the crispy fat edge off a good steak is your reward.

Edit/add - and your turds slide out like they were on fresh waxed skis over ice.

Edit/add - when I read my Ipad posts on a real computer its distressing to see that the stupid pad has autofinished so many words that totally fuck up what I posted. Sorry for the first messed up post.

Last edited:
    I try but its figuring out what's carb and what's not. I cook most of my food from food and not a box so in doing good that way at least. I have an addiction to Coke, not the Colombian stuff the one that had the Colombian stuff in it, that I'm working on, and a massive sugar addiction.

Reactions: The D
    I try but its figuring out what's carb and what's not. I cook most of my food from food and not a box so in doing good that way at least. I have an addiction to Coke, not the Colombian stuff the one that had the Colombian stuff in it, that I'm working on, and a massive sugar addiction.
    Fucking sugar. I’m the same way about sugar, just not with soda but with desserts like cake. And my wife only enabled it a little this weekend. She threw me a surprise birthday party and bought a few desserts from Costco that I mainlined

So my great weakness is grapefruit. Just peel it like an orange and go to town. So damn good.

PMClaine, you are correct about a diet, but I have found that I am WAY more emotionally tied to the denial of not eating processed sugar and most fructose than I am to the eating of it. IOW, I find more satisfaction in denial and giving into that desire creates its own kind of burden. Don't really know how I got to that place though.

So my great weakness is grapefruit. Just peel it like an orange and go to town. So damn good.

PMClaine, you are correct about a diet, but I have found that I am WAY more emotionally tied to the denial of not eating processed sugar and most fructose than I am to the eating of it. IOW, I find more satisfaction in denial and giving into that desire creates its own kind of burden. Don't really know how I got to that place though.
    I used to be like that, 15 years ago when I was single and didn’t have anything to do but work and be a gym rat. I had no trouble denying junk food that found its way to work. However now that I have toddlers and don’t ever sleep...

Keto is a temporary metabolic solutions...it's immediate sick care vs healthcare.

You will see in a few years...most usually do

Bench
    Uh, no. That’s not even close to true. If you want to know what keto is truly about, read about it directly from some of the trusted names that practice it. What you absolutely should not do is trust someone’s opinion about keto that has an axe to grind

Reactions: lariat
    Keto is a temporary metabolic solutions...it's immediate sick care vs healthcare.

You will see in a few years...most usually do

Bench
    Wife and I are 9 years in and doing better every day when should I see that shift? It's amazing how well the grandkids do on keto! They are happy all day obedient and go to sleep on time. When at the kids house they are holy terrors running around eating pop tarts.

I’m doing a medium low carb diet for the next 10+ months. Keeping 50 grams or less a minimum of 5 days/week. Set a goal back on my 55th birthday to lose 55 pounds by my 56th... I’m a month and a half in and have lost 12 lbs so doing well.

my biggest weakness is IPA’s. I fucking love Stone beer....

I’m doing a medium low carb diet for the next 10+ months. Keeping 50 grams or less a minimum of 5 days/week. Set a goal back on my 55th birthday to lose 55 pounds by my 56th... I’m a month and a half in and have lost 12 lbs so doing well.

Bro, the Arrogant Bastatd. We got history... the IPA is the shiznit. Haven’t had that in a couple years. The struggle is real!

But it seems like you are winning and getting to your goal so that’s what matters. There’s something about living and enjoying life, which it seems you may have stricken the balance. That’s a real blessing and my hat is off to you.

Wife and I are 9 years in and doing better every day when should I see that shift? It's amazing how well the grandkids do on keto! They are happy all day obedient and go to sleep on time. When at the kids house they are holy terrors running around eating pop tarts.

I’m going to call a little bit of shenanigans. Your grandkids are angels at your place just because they’re at grandma and grandpa’s house

Goddamnit, I love some IPA too. My favorite is Myrcenary from O’dell brewing

@Romeo458

It takes a bit to break your bodies addiction to easy energy - sugar and carbs. Your body is lazy and loves that quick exchange of carbs....into sugar....into energy. Thing is you need so little sugar to get so much energy that everything else is turned into fat for storage.

At the time our bodies developed that fuel program humans lived in feast or famine. If you were lucky enough to get some carbs you would live off your fat for awhile.

If you are of temperate latitude existence think of the availability of carbs. Probably 8 months out of the year carbs were not available until we developed means to store them. In the warm months you might get carbs but for the rest of the year people were carnivores.

Point is keto is not "un-natural".

When you are transitioning over you can feel weird for the first two to three weeks - drink lots and lots of water during this time period. A 32 ounce Nalgene goes everwhere with me since Ive changed my eating habits.

You will feel some hunger initially. Your body will signal hunger to try and get you to eat carbs. If you continue to deny it carbs it will say "Fuck it!" and be forced to burning fat in order to fuel your brain. Its all about the brain.

Once you switch over you will realize a "steady" energy. No more sugar "highs" and "lows".

What sold me most on this shit is my daughters Type I diabetes. I learned about the action of carbs, blood sugar and ketosis from caring for her long before I ever heard of the keto diet.

Two or three years ago a co worker started keto and I, with disdain and contempt, asked him to explain his new diet to me. It took a second and because of my experience with my daughter I knew it was legit based on a "process" not just some "calorie deficit" means to lose weight.

If its meat or green vegetables you can assume its carb free.

Potatoes, carrots, beets things like that can contain starch - which turns to sugar - or sugar itself - you have to avoid them.

Pizza is something I miss - but not really. Its nice not having that full bloated feeling after eating processed carbs like white bread.

I havent gone overboard in that I dont make substitute foods for things I dont eat. Im just lazy. I have had almond flour pizza and it is crazy good I just dont find the time to make it. For my or my wifes birthday I do do almond flour cake but the kids still get the turbo sugar version.

Eating sugar now I actually feel like shit after - I get a "rush" and slight head ache when I do indulge. Its life though eat some sugar shit once in a while.

When I want dessert I eat fresh berries - blue berries, raspberries, strawberries, black berries - with fresh whipped cream flavored with vanilla. Super easy to make.

I eat 92% cacoa chocolate - a good treat.

Ive switched all alcohol consumption to whiskey pretty much.

I aint suffering.

PS - I infrequently drink diet coke/pepsi when I want something other than water, whiskey.

Last edited:
    Reactions: The D and Romeo458

Most of the shit listed as an ingredient on a box of "food" is evil.

Sugar alone might not be so bad but when they decide some real food is too expensive and decide to make the same flavor out of chemicals or another food that wasnt grown to be that item - than that is garbage.

Its good to deny garbage.

Reactions: Jgunner
    I used to be like that, 15 years ago when I was single and didn’t have anything to do but work and be a gym rat. I had no trouble denying junk food that found its way to work. However now that I have toddlers and don’t ever sleep...

My kids were killing me.

Sure some of that shit is going to make it into their diet.

Im not going to tell kids they cant eat mac and cheese.

They love rice also.

Problem was when I was eating that stuff and they wouldnt finish what had been prepared if there wasnt enough to put in the fridge I would be too cheap to throw it away so Id end up eating more of that crap than I should have.

My MD and my labs would disagree with you.

A keto diet for a medical condition is different than a keto diet as a eating choice.

Yeah if you are prescribed a keto diet you need to be measuring and counting.

Bulleit Rye on a little bit of ice.

It has a sweet to the tongue taste that satisfies my sweet tooth, the ice makes it refreshing if its hot out and you get that inner warmth.

I guess I got lucky. I got up to 225 pounds. I'm 6' tall. I started eating at home because we had to start teleworking. I also quit eating snacks. I also noticed that women take about half their restaurant meals home for lunch the next day so I started doing the same. I started the beginning of last February and have shaved off 25 pounds. The part I don't like is being right between pants size. Gotta go with the larger size and kinda baggy looking :) Just now getting to the point I can wear the next smaller size with a t-shirt tucked in but wear the larger size with inside the waist band holster :)

You peeps may also want to look in to "autophagy".

Weird term - has nothing to do with "pegging" or weird "bowel movements" even though it sounds like that.

Ive bought into it.

If it keeps my kids from having to wipe my ass as I decline to dementia than Im in.

You peeps may also want to look in to "autophagy".

Weird term - has nothing to do with "pegging" or weird "bowel movements" even though it sounds like that.

Ive bought into it.

If it keeps my kids from having to wipe my ass as I decline to dementia than Im in.

I will say that caring for my parents with their dementia and diabetes is the number one reason why I decided to get healthy.
    I have also seen my neighbors in the mountains have to sell their dream homes so they could move to a city to be close to a hospital as they age with health issues. I want to make sure I go out with a smile on my face shooting varmints from a mountain top.

• Love
    Reactions: The D and pmclaine
    I have been watching this thread. Good info. Have any of you found foods, like anything containing wheat, really hurts, stomach, cramps,and bloating for days? I had not ever noticed these symptoms before trying the Keto diet. I do agree high fat foods really are satisfying. I miss my home baked goods terribly, the chew in the mouth.

I get the stomach bloat sometimes and its misery. Feels like I have eaten a walrus. I think it was on a Joe Rogan podcast that the body changes to accommodate the diet and sudden changes cause sudden problems that go away if you keep steady with the change. I would prefer to just not hurt like that. Bread will mold in my house from non-consumption.

I have been watching this thread. Good info. Have any of you found foods, like anything containing wheat, really hurts, stomach, cramps,and bloating for days? I had not ever noticed these symptoms before trying the Keto diet. I do agree high fat foods really are satisfying. I miss my home baked goods terribly, the chew in the mouth.
    I notice if I’m really low carb for a few days then eat some pizza( even gluten free or keto crust) or something else carb-y I get bloated and uncomfortable for a few hours. I don’t have any really bad inflammatory issues which is why it’s so hard for me to be as consistent as I want.

I’m going to bring this back to the original idea of the thread and post some links that are carnivore specific for anyone interested

This guy has a weekly podcast that quickly became my favorite listen

This site has a ton of great information and lots of testimonials from people fixing their health problems by fixing their diets

This site is from a clinic in Hungary that cures everything with a specific diet. Some of the cases they document are incredible

I work in a science based functional medicine clinic and shit gets cured through lifestyle every day. A lot of disease is a lifestyle choice.

Reactions: lariat and The D
    I work in a science based functional medicine clinic and shit gets cured through lifestyle every day. A lot of disease is a lifestyle choice.
    Awesome. My wife is a nurse practitioner and has gone balls deep into the lchf movement in the last year. We’ve gone to Low Carb Denver and she’s taking a pretty comprehensive online certification class. She’s started telling all the other providers she works with to send all of their diabetic patients to her to fix and already has several success stories with a few really incredible stories

That's great! We have gotten people off there pumps and watched there pancreas come back to life.

That's great! We have gotten people off there pumps and watched there pancreas come back to life.
    Awesome

My wife sent a patient to the er because he came in for a wellness visit but looked like death and ultimately he was admitted to a room. She checked his blood work from their online portal and his triglycerides were FUCKING 9000!(not a typo) After he left the hospital and came to see her, she gave him a bunch of info about cholesterol and keto to read. He started keto then, which was last year, and is now off all of his meds and has completely normal bloodwork

This book is awesome and makes a great argument that plant foods aren’t necessary and that the carnivore diet(done properly, nose to tail) is perfectly fine

I have gone carnavor for 4 months at a time. Animal products only and my bloodwork only improves.

I have gone carnavor for 4 months at a time. Animal products only and my bloodwork only improves.
    What has your LDL done? I know a lot of people have theirs go up, sometimes a lot, but that’s the only thing not “normal”. There’s someone named Nadir Ali that has done a ton of work showing why that happens, why it’s not a big deal, and why statins shouldn’t be prescribed to anyone for any reason

Don't remember but Doc was happy with labs and told me to continue. It is nose to tail and grass, cactus, and mesquite feed meat.

I think nose to tail is key. Somehow the offal needs to get eaten. Hide it with spices, find a way to eat it in.

Even the liver, which is just nasty. If anyone has a good recipe let me know.

I’m not going to be any help, I fucking love liver

But you can get ground beef mixed with organs from a few places.

I’ve bought this specifically and it’s delicious
    https://cornerpostmeats.com/products/beef-power-burger

And this supplement is good if you absolutely can’t stand the taste

Liverwurst is another good option. Any brand will do but there are some that are better. I’m going to order some of this at some point, the addition of kidney is a big selling point with me

Reactions: Eli17L
    grasslandbeef.com has a ground beef with heart and liver that is pretty good.
    I have heart, liver, tung, and kidneys in the deep freezer that I plan on grinding up into my own blend at some point.

I have done keto diet and lost a ton but i tell you hitting the gym everyday without carbs was miserable. It has mental side effects too. Towards the end when i reached my goal, i told myself "never again". Now I am on a good balanced diet, and life feels better. Looking back, it still has a foot print of my keto days, but a lot more tasty.

If I work out in the morning it’s much better. In the afternoon I’m sucking wind. Still prefer to be on strict keto/carnivore than not.

Good on you for the lifestyle change and success. That’s can be a tough hill to climb.

I have done keto diet and lost a ton but i tell you hitting the gym everyday without carbs was miserable. It has mental side effects too. Towards the end when i reached my goal, i told myself "never again". Now I am on a good balanced diet, and life feels better. Looking back, it still has a foot print of my keto days, but a lot more tasty.
    I know plenty of keto and carnivore gym rats that did better on the diets. I wonder what went wrong or yours?
    Living keto and adding a few carbs 30 minets before a competition of some sort seems to show very good results.