• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bi-pods

futurerider103

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
Springfield Mo
I know everyone says get Harris shop you won't have to buy 2. My question is the NC Star that's modeled of the Harris really that bad. Being that it is from a reputable company I wouldn't think it would be that bad. I live in springfield mo so the main bass pro is just 5mins away so I won't have to wait on shipping and it has great reviews as well

Re: bi-pods

Why buy a chinese rip off instead of supporting your own country and purchasing a Harris?

I'm not opposed to spending the money if needed but that's why I was asking if the nc Star bi-pod quality is really that bad

Really don't know about their durability. If you're just going to give it light use with a rimfire, it might be OK. I'm just one of these old, crusty guys that hates the influx of chinese rip off products flooding the American market and putting Americans out of work. Most of the products that china copies, are not as good as the original.

Buy the Harris, none of the cheap rip-offs are worth even half of what you pay for them. Harris works well, buy it and don't look back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I should have mentioned it will be on a Savage Mark II BTV and only target shooting </div></div>

None of that really matters.
After years of experience I recommend:
1 Harris
2 Harris
3 Did I mention Harris?

I have seen the NcStar bipods you are talking about. I know that SOMETIMES a lesser costing product it worth the purchase (I.e., KIDD barrels VS Volquartsen barrels), but not in this case. Harris bipods do not cost that much more, and what you get at the end purchase will last 10x longer than any NcStar bipod.

Do yourself a favor and buy the Harris. You will not be disappointed.

Welcome to the 'Hide!

I can only reiterate what everyone else has said; <span style="text-decoration: underline">buy the Harris</span>. They are very functional and durable tools.

looks like i'll be buying a harris then. Anyone have a hookup on a place to get the cheapest price. SWFA has them for around $65

Having initially purchased an Outer's Harris clone that started falling apart in about 2 months and following that having owned several different versions of Harris bipods the most functional version is swivel with notched legs; better still with a KMW pod-loc. That setup will last you a long, long time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NC Star is reputable?????

FAIL. </div></div>

What he said ^^^^^^
The only nc star stuff I've seen was CRAP.

If you go Harris I recommend the BRM-S model. Its a 6-9" height notched legs ans swivel. Dont F with the rest, get the best Harris or Atlas. Will save you money in the long run. Takes me seconds to deploy and set my height. My buddy has a few other models of the Harris and always ends up borrowing mine, or I give it to him so Im not hearing him bitch about fiddling with getting his legs set where he wants them.

I've seen them in my local gunshop next to a Norinco copy of a AK-47 bayonet, so I know they're good, at least I hope they are.

Maybe all the reliability from the bayonet will rub off onto the scope, but that's just wishful thinking.

Here is the time honored formula for scopes...

Scope price>Rifle Price

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go Harris I recommend the BRM-S model. Its a 6-9" height notched legs ans swivel. Dont F with the rest, get the best Harris or Atlas. Will save you money in the long run. Takes me seconds to deploy and set my height. My buddy has a few other models of the Harris and always ends up borrowing mine, or I give it to him so Im not hearing him bitch about fiddling with getting his legs set where he wants them. </div></div>

+1, notched swivel model is the way to go. Here's where I got mine, site sponsor as well!

Triad Tactical Harris Bipod

Since you are obviously already on the right path, I'll give you my NC Star story...

Bought a NC Star scope at a gun show for one of my ARs... first time at the range was great!! Took it out again and it would never again hold the same POI. It just fell apart. soooo... I tried a reinactment of Hathcocks famous shot. The .308 Match round made a perfect hit at 100 yards smashing through the front lens and "almost" made it through the ocular lens. You could shake the scope and hear the bullet fragments and lens shards rattling. Best use of an NC Star product anywhere!!! LOL!!

Gun Show priced stuff and they look good. Helluva marketing job... stick a $100 item next to a $300 item and they look like a great value. Perception my man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">after futher research I think I'm going to pick up a caldwell bipod with notched legs and width adjustable legs </div></div>
I know it sux starting out. Shit cost alot. Caldwell,rockcreek NC Star. are all junk all of them are copies. EVERYONE HERE TOLD YOU WHAT TO GET. It seems your stuck on buying cheap knock offs. If you cant afford the righ equipment dont ask. Next thing you will want to know is why your blaser ammo wont shoot. Then youll be shooting Federal 711b and still having trouble. There is a reason we dont buy the knockoff bipods. If you cant afford a Harris your in the wrong game ok.

No I'm not stock on knock off. Through a diff thread about bipods they were saying as long as it is just for rather shooting that bi pod will be fine

For what its worth, I have the winchester one from walmart that I paid 30 bucks for on my 22... It works, but I wouldnt recommend it for the price because it doesn't have ridges so that you can accuratly stop it between low and high.

But I got the Chinese knockoff from here on the hide, its in the group buy section. I think 25 bucks, and best 25 bucks Ive spent. Keep in mind I haven't used expensive bipods, but as far as I can tell its held up fine and works as its supposed to.

There are alot of people on here much more dedicated to this than most, so if your not then take some advice with a grain of salt. Eating ramen noodle for months because thats all you can afford, while having a 2500 dollar scope might sound ridiculous to you or me but many on here live by that motto. It always comes down to what you want out of it. If its a recreational hobby, I can recommend the chinese knockoff I bought from here... If your in battle everyday where your life depends on it, buy the real deal. Just because I can afford to buy the most expensive rifle and scope, IN MY OPINION, it doesn't mean I should if a cheaper alternative will satisfy my needs.

One thing to keep in mind is resale value though... The cheap knockoff will be worth nothing but many expensive high quality weapon accesories hold 50-80% of their value. If your really trying to go the cheap route and have time, wait for someone to be selling a used one and you will barely lose any money if money is tight and you have to sell it. I went the cheap route when I just started, but now that I've been doing it for a while and know im sticking to it I prefer to buy the higher quality more expensive stuff. However I do NOT regret buying the cheaper stuff, because it let me get my feet wet and see if Im gonna stick with this hobby, at minimal introductory costs. Your really not gonna be crying about losing 20 bucks on a bipod, when you decide to upgrade because your more serious about shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No I'm not stock on knock off. Through a diff thread about bipods they were saying as long as it is just for rather shooting that bi pod will be fine </div></div>

I tell you what ill do for you. send me a PM with your address i will send you a Harris with podlock for you to use. Save some more money. When you have enough to get a Harris. Send mine back to me. You wont find a better deal. I DONT LIKE TO SEE NEW SHOOTERS PISSING AWAY MONEY

As always they guys of SH come through with helping hands. I agree with above, and if my battery didnt die this would have been posted earlier.

Timelinex you make a good point, but heres the other side. If and when the cheap knock off fails or doesn't work as well as the Harris you will probably get frustrated and not enjoy your precious time out shooting, thus discouraging the new shooter. Good gear doesn't always guarantee no failures, but they are minimized and usually leads to trouble free day of shooting. Also if you really don't like the Harris, they get bought up on here like crazy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As always they guys of SH come through with helping hands. I agree with above, and if my battery didnt die this would have been posted earlier.

Timelinex you make a good point, but heres the other side. If and when the cheap knock off fails or doesn't work as well as the Harris you will probably get frustrated and not enjoy your precious time out shooting, thus discouraging the new shooter. Good gear doesn't always guarantee no failures, but they are minimized and usually leads to trouble free day of shooting. Also if you really don't like the Harris, they get bought up on here like crazy. </div></div>
Hey don't get me wrong, I totally get what you guys are saying. It's super frustrating not knowing if its you or the equipment.... I'm always aspiring to get more and better quality. BUT I think as long as you have equipment that at least works, to get your feet wet your good to go. i started by spending less than 300 on my first 22 startup set. two bulk packs of garbage ammo I was hooked. and now wouldn't buy those bulk packs even if it was twice as cheap. on the other hand if the only right way to get into this was the snipershide way of crying once, I would need to spend 1500 just to start... which would mean I would have never started! That's why even though I'm replacing and buying better and better equipment as I go, I'm still a believer that buying cheap stuff and upgrading later is better than being discouraged by price and not doing it at all.

Bipod and ammo! A gracious gesture from Nesikabay. Another example of why this site is the best.

I run a pod-loc Harris between four rifles. The Harris is the cheapest money you'll spend in this sport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tell you what ill do for you. send me a PM with your address i will send you a Harris with podlock for you to use. Save some more money. When you have enough to get a Harris. Send mine back to me. You wont find a better deal. I DONT LIKE TO SEE NEW SHOOTERS PISSING AWAY MONEY </div></div>
Nice Nesika! Good on you...