• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Origin Build Thread

Bighorn origin 6.5prc sherman improved
bench mark 7.5 twist
Manners lrh
Bix Dakota trigger
Hawkins m5
Nightforce shv
Built for the father inlaw. Fun rifle to shoot and a tac driver. Minus the scope being second focal plane and the trigger being heavier than I like but it wasn’t for me so there is that.

Attachments

• IMG_6491.jpeg
    IMG_6491.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 150
View attachment 8180963
6.5 PRC
Bighorn Origin SA LH
22” Proof 1:8
TT Diamond
Mesa Altitude Stock
ARC M Brace Rings
Kahles 3-12x50

View attachment 8180979
308 Win
Bighorn Origin SA RH
20” Proof 1:10 w TiPro3 Brake
TT Special
Manners EH1 w/ Mini Chasis
ARC M Brace Rings
Kahles 3.6-18x50

View attachment 8180980
7mm Rem Mag w/ +P Chamber
Bighorn Origin LA RH
24” Proof 1:8.4 w DE Mini Slab Brake
TT Special
Manners TA w/ Mini Chasis
ARC M Brace Rings
Kahles 6-24x56

Swapped out the Mannera EH1 on my Origin 308 for the Manners Pro Hunter and I’m glad I did. Hands down my favorite manners stock to date. light and ergonomics are on point .got one coming for my 7RM now too.

IMG_4122.jpeg
IMG_4123.jpeg

IMG_6484.jpeg

The newest iteration of my bighorn origin action, foundation dominion stock, hawk hill .257 cal 7.25 twist marksman contour spiral fluted 25 creedmoor barrel, area 419 brake, Timney HIT trigger, Hawkins m5 dbm, Hawkins 35mm low ultra light tactical rings, Leupold M5 3.5-18x44 scope. Great little all around rifle.

Just a quick update on my .223 PRS trainer rifle. I was able to get out to the range yesterday and get the first rounds through this rifle and get the scope dialed in. I have not done any load development yet, I just picked a load and ran it. I'll wait until I get more rounds down the barrel before I do any load development. Even with a random load, it performed well and looks promising. I picked 24.0 gr of Varget with the Hornady 75 ELD-M, Starline .223 Rem brass and a CCI400 primer. After an old school bore sight, the first shot was just a couple inches left of the center so I sent 4 more to make it a 5 shot group. I was also cleaning in between each of the first 5 shots. I dialed the scope a little to the right and then shot another 5 shot group. I was shooting modified prone off a bipod on a bench with rear sand bag. The first group was .58 moa and the second group was .48 moa. I couldn't be happier with a random load.

After this, I shot the next 40 rounds at various steel plates at varying distances and also practiced the PRS barricade skill stage. The MDT metal magazines performed flawlessly. I'm usually a 60ish second guy for the PRS barricade skill stage (8 shots from 4 positions at a 10 inch round plate at 400 yards). My first run with this rifle was in the 55 second range (8 hits) and the second run was 46 ish seconds (7 hits). I'm very pleased with this rifle and can't wait to keep shooting it and practicing PRS skills and techniques.

PRS Trainer Rifle 223 01.jpg

PRS Trainer Rifle 223 1st Target.jpg

PRS Trainer Rifle 223 02.jpg

I was fortunate to pick up a certificate off a prize table for a Zermatt action (thank you ZAI for your support!) and have been debating getting an Origin or a TL3.

For those of you that have both, any thoughts on which action? I’m working on getting my hands on both so I can compare them side-by-side.

I’m coming from a Impact action so accustomed to 2-lug 90 deg throw. Intended purpose of this action is to build a 6.5CM for NRL Hunter and LR Varmint matches.

I was fortunate to pick up a certificate off a prize table for a Zermatt action (thank you ZAI for your support!) and have been debating getting an Origin or a TL3.

For those of you that have both, any thoughts on which action? I’m working on getting my hands on both so I can compare them side-by-side.

I’m coming from a Impact action so accustomed to 2-lug 90 deg throw. Intended purpose of this action is to build a 6.5CM for NRL Hunter and LR Varmint matches.
do you want AW?
do you want a swept or straight bolt handle?
do you want to be able to run Origin AND TL3 prefits by swapping the recoil lug?

aside from that there's really no difference in feel

do you want AW?
do you want a swept or straight bolt handle?
do you want to be able to run Origin AND TL3 prefits by swapping the recoil lug?

aside from that there's really no difference in feel

All my current mags are AICS, so AW is not a factor.

Swept vs straight is why I want to get my hands on an Origin to see if I like it.

I‘m not sure I’m following you on your third question.

Thanks

All my current mags are AICS, so AW is not a factor.

Swept vs straight is why I want to get my hands on an Origin to see if I like it.

I‘m not sure I’m following you on your third question.

Thanks
i like both Zermatt options and have had plenty of both, but having a RimX which is swept I went from TL3 back to origin just so they match in feel

the origin can run a HLR Lug with a TL3 prefit or the normal origin lug with origin barrels. some people (myself included) like this because you have a bigger selection of barrels to choose from

i like both Zermatt options and have had plenty of both, but having a RimX which is swept I went from TL3 back to origin just so they match in feel

the origin can run a HLR Lug with a TL3 prefit or the normal origin lug with origin barrels. some people (myself included) like this because you have a bigger selection of barrels to choose from
Ah, copy that. I was not aware that the TL3 and Origins used different prefits, but now that I think about it that makes sense. Can you recommend a source for Origin prefits? Thinking I need a medium palma profile to keep the weight down for NRL Hunter (my 6GT in the Impact has the Proof Comp contour which is a heavy chuck of steel…)

My rimfire rifle is a Vudoo V22 which has a straight bolt and 90 deg throw, which matches my Impact, so going swept would be a departure from the other two rifles, but I’m not sure If that’s gonna be a big enough deal or not.

Proof from Front Range Precision
Bugholes/SPR
Keystone
honestly anyone can make one it's an easy thing to do

i despise the feel of the impact/vudoo so i'm not a good person to chime in on that

fwiw i run a 27" Heavy Varmint on my NRL Hunter weight build and make heavy class fine so you may be able to get away with a bit more than a medium palma depending on your other components

Reactions: ECK

There are several manufacturers that are offering shouldered profits for the origin so it really up to you which you prefer I have two origins and love them I’ve never looked at the differences between the origin and tl3 but can’t say there would be very many. Lots of people like both. Either way your going to get a quality action!

Reactions: ECK
I apologize for the poor photo.

I started out with a black Origin action and a stainless 24" 280AI.

While it shot well, I did not like the weight of the barrel. Solution: get a black, 20" threaded 270 barrel.

Next, I decided the BDL setup was a PITA at the range and replaced the Grayboe Terrain stock with a Grayboe Eagle and M5 DBM bottom Metal.

Then, I realized I had a barrel and a stock laying around. Solution: (1) get the 280AI barrel cut to "20 and threaded. Buy a bead blasted Origin action?

Scope: I am not sure yet.

Next Project: figure out how to make the magazine rattle around so much.

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpeg
    IMG_0138.jpeg
    638.3 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: nrspence
14.8 pounds as it sits

XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium
C6, folder, carbon grip
27" Heavy Varmint 7SAW
A419 Sidewinder
BnA Tacsport Pro
ARC M Brace rings
Zeiss S5 5-25

Attachments

• 20230909_104131.jpg
    20230909_104131.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
14.8 pounds as it sits

XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium
C6, folder, carbon grip
27" Heavy Varmint 7SAW
A419 Sidewinder
BnA Tacsport Pro
ARC M Brace rings
Zeiss S5 5-25
That a nrl heavy hunter build? I'm somewhere in the midst of that too, but need to get a 38oz triple pull in there, was thinking heavy palma.

Reactions: Bsnyder
That a nrl heavy hunter build? I'm somewhere in the midst of that too, but need to get a 38oz triple pull in there, was thinking heavy palma.
Yup that was the aim. Lots of weight to lose between rings, brake and drop the folder too to get a triple pull on the front if I don't run an MTNGear. It's a 7# barrel so easy to cut weight from that too

CO/WY hunting also this year until I decide what I wanna do cartridge wise for a carbon (or 3b steel barrel)

Yup that was the aim. Lots of weight to lose between rings, brake and drop the folder too to get a triple pull on the front if I don't run an MTNGear. It's a 7# barrel so easy to cut weight from that too

CO/WY hunting also this year until I decide what I wanna do cartridge wise for a carbon (or 3b steel barrel)
Nice! Yeah you have a lil weight to cut. I'm doing 7.5tw 6.5mm hvy palma prob 26" for 156 Bergers. Will shave the muzzle down just a bit for a slim line tuner to fit. Minimum velocity for power factor is 2440 and that'll be easy.

Reactions: b6graham
I have a 223 wylde chambered barrel and 223 .150 freebore barrel for a bighorn origin available in the buy sale trade section.

Also a foundation exodus and dominion cut for an origin action.

Reactions: Dochs
I'm excited to post pictures soon. Took a lot of information from many helpful members here, wanted to do it right.

My NX8 is on the way, and I'm going to order ARC Mbrace rings soon, once I get it mounted I'll take pictures and post on the thread.

Anyone with a medium action? Deciding if I should get it or just a short action.

Anyone with a medium action? Deciding if I should get it or just a short action.
What cartridge?
I recently built on a medium (not quite done yet) and I'm not sure the juice was worth the squeeze.
Most of the issue was my choice in bottom metal.
But it does limit your choices.

Was thinking I’d do a SAUM or another 6.5 prc.
That’s kinda what I was afraid of.
But I’ve found a deal on the medium Origin on sale for Black Friday

Was thinking I’d do a SAUM or another 6.5 prc.
That’s kinda what I was afraid of.
But I’ve found a deal on the medium Origin on sale for Black Friday
The hawkins should be gtg.
I was looking for a .308 based magazine for mine for a hunting rifle, which caused some issues, but not insurmountable ones. I'll have my rifle by the end of the week and can post some pics then.
The action is very nice.

I have a medium origin, 65 Saum with 225k freebore. Hawking hunter medium dbm, McMillan Game scout long range, 26# rem varm, atacr 4-20, bout 12# long range hunter.

Reactions: nrspence
My almost 7yo with my 6 creed I built earlier this year. He ask me to take him with me deer hunting. Gonna have to put something together more his size for next season so he can hunt.
Love taking the youngsters out killing. Is that a stainless origin?

Also one is push feed other is controlled feed and different ejectors.. how many ND’s have you had in your life?

• Haha
Reactions: b6graham
Haha that dude deleted his question about putting a Zermatt bolt in a rem 700

6 gt. Will try to add some pictures in better light when it’s not dark. About to start snowing so we will see if I get any shooting in tomorrow.

Attachments

• 72619689965__2FB15A69-B5F4-4EEF-BB8A-844943733ADC.jpeg
    72619689965__2FB15A69-B5F4-4EEF-BB8A-844943733ADC.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8427.jpeg
    IMG_8427.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8426.jpeg
    IMG_8426.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 65
Why did you delete that question?
Because it made no sense
Yes I really regret that. For him asking that question you think he would have left it up so someone could tell him yes you can put that bolt in a 700 🤣
My bad, didn't wanna clutter the thread. My question was can I put an origin bolt in a Rem700 action. Completely new to the bolt gun world and trying to get creative with a build I'd like to do. Feel free to roast me as I don't know anything about non-gas platforms; would appreciate some knowledge on the different types of bolts / actions and why they can or can't go together.
Couple other questions if you don't mind answering:
1. Why does the Macbros bolt have this little pointy fella sticking out the back and what is it?
1704520814474.png

2. When Macbros says the bolt has toolless fire control removal, what part are they referring to and what is the benefit or difference?
3. What circumstances make control round feed better / worse than push feed?
4. Stock Rem700 extractor vs mini M-16 extractor for 300Blk?

Last edited:
Because it made no sense

My bad, didn't wanna clutter the thread. My question was can I put an origin bolt in a Rem700 action. Completely new to the bolt gun world and trying to get creative with a build I'd like to do. Feel free to roast me as I don't know anything about non-gas platforms; would appreciate some knowledge on the different types of bolts / actions and why they can or can't go together.
Couple other questions if you don't mind answering:
1. Why does the Macbros bolt have this little pointy fella sticking out the back and what is it?
View attachment 8315623
2. When Macbros says the bolt has toolless fire control removal, what part are they referring to and what is the benefit or difference?
3. What circumstances make control round feed better / worse than push feed?
4. Stock Rem700 extractor vs mini M-16 extractor for 300Blk?
1- that’s the firing pin. Sticking back is cocked, sunk in is released.
2- the firing pin and shroud piece comes out of the bolt by hand and doesn’t require any tools.
3- none other than poorly set up but I prefer it as I control when it goes out and not a spring as soon as it’s clear.
4- I would go with whatever the bolt comes with, doesn’t really matter. I wouldn’t pay to have a bolt altered to go from one to the other.

1- that’s the firing pin. Sticking back is cocked, sunk in is released.
2- the firing pin and shroud piece comes out of the bolt by hand and doesn’t require any tools.
3- none other than poorly set up but I prefer it as I control when it goes out and not a spring as soon as it’s clear.
4- I would go with whatever the bolt comes with, doesn’t really matter. I wouldn’t pay to have a bolt altered to go from one to the other.
Appreciate the knowledge! really prefer to not reface the bolt but I can’t find a stainless rem action in 223. If you can, please pm me as I’ve been looking for a bit and it would be massively appreciated.

Appreciate the knowledge! really prefer to not reface the bolt but I can’t find a stainless rem action in 223. If you can, please pm me as I’ve been looking for a bit and it would be massively appreciated.
Why not just get an Origin? Easier to find, and you can change the bolt head from 223 to 308 or magnum. Plus they take prefit barrels.

Just buy an origin. It's 5x better. Fits in the same stocks and chassis. And is 10x more adaptable with a simple 30 second boltface change or 3 minute barrel change

Just buy an origin. It's 5x better. Fits in the same stocks and chassis. And is 10x more adaptable with a simple 30 second boltface change or 3 minute barrel change
Zermatt offer two bolt faces for 223. Ones control feed like the rest, the other is a push feed style. Most people report better more reliable feeding using the push feed style with accurate aics mags once they swap.

Reactions: overmatch
6.5 creedmoor
Zermatt origin action
16 inch Outlier barrel
Trigger tech special
Mdt xrs chassis with mdt Arca rail
Harvester 300 suppressor with area 419 adapter
Atlas cal bipod with leg extension and spikes
Vortex razor genii in Nightforce rings
Also have a 22 inch proof carbon that need chambered.
Weight ended up being 15.8 pounds.
IMG_0696.jpeg

This is false. The Cadex Dual Strike Chassis WILL NOT fit an Origin action. I have personally confirmed this with Zermatt and Cadex over the phone this week. The Origin and Rem700 have completely different top profiles on the action.

Zermatt offer two bolt faces for 223. Ones control feed like the rest, the other is a push feed style. Most people report better more reliable feeding using the push feed style with accurate aics mags once they swap.
Good to know - appreciate the info!

Why not just get an Origin? Easier to find, and you can change the bolt head from 223 to 308 or magnum. Plus they take prefit barrels.
Would love to, as changeable bolt heads would be awesome, along with ability to order prefits. Problem is the Cadex Dual Strike doesn't accept the Origin action or other Rem clones that don't have exactly the same outer profile.

Reactions: overmatch
6.5 PRC folk running it in the short action.....

What mag/metal setup are ya'll going with?