• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Origin Build Thread

Hondo64d

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2006
The Big Country
Post your Bighorn Origin builds here.

Mine is another masterpiece by Jon Beanland.

Bighorn Origin
#3 Bartlein 5R chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor finished at 24”
McMillan Adjustable Game Scout in Desert Carbon Ambush
Triggertech Diamond
APA Bottom Metal
Bighorn 20 MOA rail
SWFA rings
Bushnell 3-12 LRTSi
Flush cups on left side.

Load development was easy. Wind was unusually calm so I decided to do it at 500. Not picky at all. Biggest group of the day was the 130gr Berger AR Hybrids at .632 MOA. Best was 42gr H4350 behind the Berger 140gr Elite Hunter. That went .498 MOA. Five 5-shot groups with 5 different loads averaged .555 MOA at 500 yards. Taking this one for Caribou in a couple of weeks.

John

C7-B3-A901-8148-414-F-AC63-D2-D2-CB8-C85-AD.jpg

I picked the best charge from my 500 yard load development and put 5 rounds on paper at 100 today to make sure I had a good zero. Wind was gusting hard and bench was really wobbly or it would have been better. Made a .1 adjustment and reset the zero indicator. Battery ran out on my chronograph so I made a guess on velocity and took it to 820 to use the velocity truing function on Ballistic AE. Group was 4.5” low at 820 so I put that in Ballistic AE and it determined true velocity was 2790. Fired one more group at 820 using 2790 velocity and it was centered on aiming point. I think we’re ready for Caribou.

John

5-B8-AFE22-5-CBD-48-C6-9062-2-C353-C165-D45.jpg

Last edited:
Origin/PVA 26” 6.5x47
PVA Jetblast Brake
Bergara BMP Chassis with MDT Grip
Trigger tech primary
Swfa SS 5-20x50 in mk4 rings

Origin/ Factory Savage 20” .223 barrel
KRG bravo
Trigger tech primary
Weaver GST 3-10x40 in Seekins rings

Screenshot_20190720-001158_Instagram.jpg

View attachment 7115091
I saw this in the origin thread and started to order one. Then I saw they had the option for the defiance tenacity as well. So I ended up with 2.

Reactions: King_beardsly
I have an origin on order. I'll try to remember to post here when it's done. I'm a photographer so there will definitely be some photos of it on here and instagram - @sterling.a.williams

Update to my pic above. Finally got my third Origin put together. I think I might have a problem...

PVA 224 Valkyrie 26” Heavy Palma 1/7
KRG Bravo
TriggerTech Flat Primary
NF 3.5-15X50 in Sekins Rings

Using old AI 223 polymer mags. Shot 60 rounds with no malfunctions today.

E8B1502C-0C0A-43AC-81D2-6BE8CAF03B26.jpeg

814608CD-EE6E-46CD-9269-B60FF2BE57F4.png

My Origin build is as follows:
Bighorn Origin
Bartlein 1:7.5 twist Marskman contour 5R barrel finished at 26 inch
Chambered by SPR in 6mm Creedmoor for 108 ELD-M
MPA BA Comp chassis (tungsten)
Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C mrad
Trigger Tech Special flat black
Vortex/Seekins PMR
Thunderbeast brake (TBAC Ultra 7 is in jail)

Last edited:
Second barrel for this Origin
26" Bartlein MTU 1:8 5R chambered in 6.5x47 by XR Gun Works
MPA oldschool comp chassis
Vortex Razor Gen 2 in Spuhr 4001
Trigger Tech Diamond pro curve
Area 419 Sidewinder

View attachment 7133880

View attachment 7133881
Off topic here, but is the adapter plate necessary for the anvil 30? You can’t mount it on the stock plate and stud it comes with?

Off topic here, but is the adapter plate necessary for the anvil 30? You can’t mount it on the stock plate and stud it comes with?
You could screw it directly onto the stock Leofoto plate but due to the placement of the little set screw on the underside of the stock plate and the small size of the "stem" of the Anvil 30, you would have no retention on the ball head (Other than the torque you applied when you tightened it down). Movement in the counterclockwise direction would basically unscrew the ballhead and you would have it coming loose all the time, especially with a rifle mounted. You could probably solve this problem by drilling a hole in the stock Leofoto plate that is closer to the center of the stem which would allow you to run a screw into the Anvil 30. I have not done it or seen anyone do it, but I'm sure it could be done if you were inclined to give it a try.

You could screw it directly onto the stock Leofoto plate but due to the placement of the little set screw on the underside of the stock plate and the small size of the "stem" of the Anvil 30, you would have no retention on the ball head (Other than the torque you applied when you tightened it down). Movement in the counterclockwise direction would basically unscrew the ballhead and you would have it coming loose all the time, especially with a rifle mounted. You could probably solve this problem by drilling a hole in the stock Leofoto plate that is closer to the center of the stem which would allow you to run a screw into the Anvil 30. I have not done it or seen anyone do it, but I'm sure it could be done if you were inclined to give it a try.
Thanks for the info! That makes sense. I’m assuming that the rrs plate is bolted to the anvil 30 to prevent it from loosening? Thanks for your help. I’m looking to get the same setup as yours and it’s confusing me not being able to see it in person.

Thanks for the info! That makes sense. I’m assuming that the rrs plate is bolted to the anvil 30 to prevent it from loosening? Thanks for your help. I’m looking to get the same setup as yours and it’s confusing me not being able to see it in person.
Yea it is and the stem of the ballhead sits in a nice little pocket in the RRS plate. I'll snap a picture of it tomorrow when I get a chance. I see that you're in orange county.. if you are free Sunday and want to swing down to the Pala match you can check it out in person and shoot off of it.

Yea it is and the stem of the ballhead sits in a nice little pocket in the RRS plate. I'll snap a picture of it tomorrow when I get a chance. I see that you're in orange county.. if you are free Sunday and want to swing down to the Pala match you can check it out in person and shoot off of it.

Got the clear for Sunday from the wife. I think I have enough ammo for the match. Gotta double check.

Wife shot this one at this years Nightforce ELR match in Wyoming. Good for sending the 131 Blackjack bullet at 3340fps.

Bighorn Origin #2
25 SAUM / 7.5 twist 27” M24 Bartlien
Custom XLR Envy with Ingenuity Gunworks rail and mercury tube.
Bix’n Andy TacSport 2 stage
ARC rings and 5-25 ATACR F1
TBAC Ultra 7
7841767C-2429-4EFE-9575-6BA20DFD5DCA.jpeg
060BD128-3C8F-4AC5-A861-DD7CE67B2A4E.jpeg

Anybody with a Bighorn Origin in a Cadex chassis? I have a barreled action on order at the moment from Altus Shooting Solutions w/Proof Research Competition profile barrel, 6.5 PRC, and I'm hoping there won't be any compatibility issues with my Cadex Field OT chassis (recoil lugs/picatinny rail). Currently have a MDT 12-rd (no binder plate) magazine for it as well.

Reactions: BlueLacy
How do you like the 6BR from josh over at PVA, he did my 6creed for my origin and will be doing a 6BR AI for my TL3 that I just picked up.
The BRs and variants are so easy to load for. Combine that with good components and quality gunsmith it’s an awesome combination!

Wife shot this one at this years Nightforce ELR match in Wyoming. Good for sending the 131 Blackjack bullet at 3340fps.

Bighorn Origin #2
25 SAUM / 7.5 twist 27” M24 Bartlien
Custom XLR Envy with Ingenuity Gunworks rail and mercury tube.
Bix’n Andy TacSport 2 stage
ARC rings and 5-25 ATACR F1
TBAC Ultra 7
View attachment 7135171View attachment 7135172
damn. 00002

Here are my twins.

Top is a 6BR
26" Bartlien, 7.25 twist, Heavy Palma
TT Diamond
MPA w/Weight Kit - 21.2lbs (because you know, BR's have a ton of recoil!)
419 Brake
Vortex Gen 2 4.5x27

Bottom is a .223
26" Bartlien, 7 twist, Heavy Palma
TT Diamond
MPA
419 Thunderbeast adapter
TB Ultra 7
Vortex AMG
It weighs just over 15lbs

Both chambered by WAR rifles out of Manassas VA. Hammers!!

IMG_1770 (2).jpg

Anyone using the RRS 34mm mount on your Origin?

I have an Origin action on the way, as well as a Steiner P4xi 4-16 x 56 optic. I'd like to not have an overly large gap between the objective and my barrel (so as to keep a lower cheek-weld scenario). I am considering the RRS mount because it incorporates the level indicator into the mount (one less thing to buy and fiddle with), but I am worried that it may be kind of tall...

Any help?

Just got the rifle today and shot 50 rounds. Occasionally it would hang up on the last round. Probably going to order the mdt 6br magazine. I have an accurate mag 10 rounder I haven't tried yet.