• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Origin Build Thread

Well its finally done!!!
Origin 308
18" proof
Manners CS-2
Apa bottom metal
Apa 34mm .950 rings
Steiner t5xi 3-15x50
Triggertech primary
20191025_135357.jpg

What bolt thread pattern did you order as I don’t see the 1/4 x 28 on the 419 site?

Just threw this together last night. Took some parts off my Origin SA to finish the build.
ORIGIN LA
24” Xcaliber sendero contour, 9tw 300wm prefit for now.
PVA Jetblast
Tt Diamond
KRG W3 folder, arca rail, spigot w/nv mount
Atlas CAL G2 on a RRS BTC pro mount
4-16x ATACR for now.

Attachments

• FA1104C7-1B46-471D-9E15-FC4C56CB2A05.jpeg
    FA1104C7-1B46-471D-9E15-FC4C56CB2A05.jpeg
    982.5 KB · Views: 275
How do those x-caliber barrels shoot? Was gonna grab a 28” in 300 prc for an Origin.

Jury is still out. This one has zero rounds on it, the price was just right for now. I don't have much of any time on the others I have/had to really form an opinion but no complaints.

Reactions: Joeydias3
i7P6Cnl.jpg

Origin Long Action
HS M-24 Stock
PTG Bottom Metal
Rifle Basix Trigger
Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50
X-Caliber 27" Varmint weight 1-7 Twist ........ in 270 Winchester

XCaliber prices look good and I'm going to get one to try out at that price. But since it's not a shouldered barrel, is it really any different than the Savage prefits they offer? Doesn't affect pricing. just odd to see they have two items that are the same end result. Since the Origin states "threaded to the same spec as standard Savage small-shank threads ", seems a bit misleading to claims its an Origin specific prefit vs their standard Savage prefit that will work for an Origin.

I think they are making stuff up, but it doesnt really matter.

"Affordable precision barrel for your Bighorn action. Has the proper protrusion for Bighorn Actions."

Either way $247 is stupid. Wife still wont let me lol...

Reactions: Shootin25
criterion and xcaliber did the same thing. wish they'd just shoulder them though for fucks sake

maybe Ray will jump in and give us a reason whats different..

or maybe they're just eliminating the small/large shank 'confusion'

criterion and xcaliber did the same thing. wish they'd just shoulder them though for fucks sake

maybe Ray will jump in and give us a reason whats different..

or maybe they're just eliminating the small/large shank 'confusion'
It's like anything else; it all boils down to dollars and cents. It's cheaper to produce and sell Savage pre-fit barrels that work in a huge number of production actions than it is to produce and sell shouldered pre-fit barrels that only work in one custom manufactures actions.

The shouldered pre-fit idea still has resistance from some builders. That may not be the situation with the manufactures you've listed, it may be a logistical issue for them that they don't want to tackle. Either way, there are always alternatives in our industry. That's the beauty of it.

Thank you - Ray

I think they are making stuff up, but it doesnt really matter.

"Affordable precision barrel for your Bighorn action. Has the proper protrusion for Bighorn Actions."

Either way $247 is stupid. Wife still wont let me lol...
It comes out to a bit over $300 with threading and the fixed $30/barrel shipping. I won’t say how I know...

Call him. Super cool and easy to work with. And lead time was not what I expected!

Placed my order and had my action about a week later. Very impressed with the action so far, now I just need to hold on another month or two for a barrel.

One question I had, how tough is the nitride coating on the bolt? I'd expect it to wear after a while, but have not seen much mentioned. If it does wear down, does the chrome-moly bolt have any rust/finish issues?

When the “finish” wears it’s just losing the black color and the metal is still protected since the nitride finish actually bonds to the metal and becomes part of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: IowaGeologist
Curious, BH bolt heads are DLC. wouldn't the bolt head be under more stress? and possibly have the DLC flake off?
Didn't something similar happen previously?

From what i've read DLC is suppose to be slicker than nitriding. How do Nitriding and DLC compare...just trying to get an understanding. thanks!

I believe the DLC is a physical vapor deposition coating and again bonds to the substrate metal. I’ve personally haven’t heard of dlc flaking off, as far as slickness both can be very slick if applied to a polished surface.

Yeah, dlc can flake off but done properly it’s incredibly hard and doesn’t expose the metal to enough heat that it could soften it in a critical area such as the bolt lugs. Like nitriding can which is more prone to over heating between the two.

Last edited:
1:8 Bartlein barrel (finished at 26”) (6.5CM) spun up and timed (shouldered, no barrel nut), MPA brake, Bighorn Origin SA, fresh coat of Benelli Sand cerakote. tT Diamond not shown. Now just waiting on the big brown truck to deliver the JCS carbon fiber tactical adjustable stock.

08EAEA8C-C282-4E4C-A3EF-2A453870492C.jpeg

Last edited:
Question for you guys using savage prefits. Are you removing the extractor when setting headspace? I see on the instruction card it says you need to but on the proof switch video the guy makes no mention of needing to.

That’s what I did on my TL3/SR3’s when I checked headspace but they were on shouldered prefits. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

Question for you guys using savage prefits. Are you removing the extractor when setting headspace? I see on the instruction card it says you need to but on the proof switch video the guy makes no mention of needing to.
the extractor is so easy to remove I didn't see any reason not to. only takes <1 minute.

Just finished the wife’s build... well kinda still needs her own scope.
BH Origin
X-caliber 6 br savage prefit
BH 12 point nut
Cadex 2 stage
Hell fire brake
Xlr carbon chassis I picked up in the Px

C65A11A5-F1E0-43E0-A5AD-EB850E1EC6A5.jpeg
FEECD718-B501-4569-92E5-7D095F0A51EB.jpeg
75271B0F-C83D-4ED7-846D-53DFD89F4963.jpeg

The last target pic is 7 shots, the first 3 out then a scope adjustment then the next 4 in a ragged hole. All shot by my wife. Pretty proud and really happy with the x-caliber’s accuracy for the first 15 rounds and just a random load of 30 Gns of varget and 105’s just off the lands with virgin lapua brass.

Reactions: long range sponge
Right now at Brownells they have a 11% discount code. I just ordered a Origin, but it's on backorder. Really great price for a custom action. This will be my 2nd Origin and 3rd BigHorn/Zermatt.

Got a TL3 with a magnum bolt, but dunno what caliber to go with yet.

Thanks @kriller134 ! nothing special...this was a budget build. Including optics (no bipod) total build was roughly $3200.

Origin SA 308 bolt
20moa rail
TT Diamond
Vortex PST Gen2 3-15x44mm
ARC X-Low rings (0.79" - Love the low look and looks like i have about ~2.5mm-3mm of bell clearance)
M24 22" bbl
KRG Bravo with some goodies. ARCA rail, spigot, adjustable butt stock, barrier stop.
Cheek piece - neoprene 1/4" from Amazon, this was sold in 12"x12" - 4 pieces. I'm still using the 1st piece.

Total 120 factory rounds 140eldm 81500 shot 1st time out.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X_Export (4).jpg
    Ballistic-X_Export (4).jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Ballistic-X_Export (6).jpg
    Ballistic-X_Export (6).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Reactions: kriller134