• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Bighorn sporter action and Wyatts ext mag box?

18Echo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2007
Maricopa Co., AZ
I have a BigHorn sporter on order with AJ. I really want to run a BDL set up, but want some more room for loading a little long if needed.

Can the Bighorn be reliably machined on to fit a Wyatts ext. mag box without jacking it up?

Will the inlet in a McMillan need to be milled also or will it fit the standard bdl inlet?

I'm asking here, because I don't really want to bother AJ or Mr. Beanland, who is going to do the build, with these silly questions, I know they are busy men.

Re: Bighorn sporter action and Wyatts ext mag box?

I have a Bighorn Short Action tactical setup in 7mm RSAUM sitting in a KMW Sentinel stock. I use the Alpha Mags and load to 2.96. The Alphas should fit any AI pattern bottom metal I believe. I spoke with AJ about my caliber and mag choice, but I'm not sure if he did anything to the action to fit the Alpha mags. I have had no problems shooting the Bighorn with the Alpha mags loaded to 2.96 in the Sentinel stock and bottom metal.

I also have a 260 Rem with Stiller TAC-30 short action in a B&C Medalist Tactical stock with the Wyatts bottom metal, but I believe the max OAL is 2.880". Nothing wrong with the Wyatts though.

If you are looking for max OAL in mag length take a look at Alpha with any of the AI pattern bottom metal.

Give AJ a call. He is a great guy to talk to.