• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

++Bighorn TL3 Builds++

After mag-catch tuning and AW mag lips tuned, it feeds like butta. Mated to a KRG W3.

AW mags are all I've ever used, but I've never had a fail to feed. However, my rifle doesn't function 100% as a control round feed, and I suspect it has to do with the magazines. The bolt doesn't grab control of the round until the cartridge is about 50% in the chamber. There is a period of time when the round has left the magazine, but hasn't been grabbed by the bolt.

Not sure if it's mag related because I've never tried to use anything else.
Yes this is 100% a magazine issue

How do TL3 do running aw mags?
Depending on the chassis you're using.

With the magpul pro 700 the AW magazine feeds flawlessly and it has enough bolt engagement, without modification.

You might need to adjust the magazine height/feed lip to allow the enough bolt engagement to be able to true CRF.

Last edited:
I would imagine a controlled round feed action would need a center feed magazine to work correctly, and with extra room for error.

Having 12 and 15 round mags are nice for competition. Not going to get that with an A-dub. The only time I want to be shooting an AW outside of my AI is rooftops or on the ridge of a tire.
I was thinking the same thing. The AW mag presents enough of the cartridge to function fine as a push feed, but I think a single center feed mag would be easier to setup for 100% CRF.

Now that AI is focusing more on the comp scene, I wonder if they will release 12 and/or 15 round AW mags?

You can see how the timing on the magazine is crucial to match the cartridge length for CRF. This magazine has had the feed lip shortened so that the lower cartridge presents a bit of the body instead of the neck to push up on the upper cartridge as it clears the feed lip. If the lower neck is presented upward it doesn’t have enough height to push the upper cartridge into the bolt face fully. If the shoulder is presented when the upper cartridge clears the feed lips it will pop the upper cartridge forward faster than up resulting in push feeding.

7C894968-D601-4EE0-A41A-FF745174DE18.jpeg

Factory AICS magazine in foreground (note the lower case is pushing up with the neck. ARC magazine in the background (pushing up/forward) with the shoulder. Cartridge is 6.5Creedmoor

Reactions: Thorbeast
So are you saying all magazines need to be modified to be used in the TL3? Or just ARC mags?

I use AW mags... I'm also thinking of buying an AT-X... If I do this to my AW mags would that have an impact on using those same mags with an AT-X.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be a problem, but I'd like to know before I do anything permanent.

Thanks!

I do that with my GT and 6BR in a 650. No need for a gas gun cartridge to do that.
Wow that's awesome what powder do you use in your dillon to get low SD in those. The only power that works will in my dillon is a ball powder and my gt likes running Varget.

I do that with my GT and 6BR in a 650. No need for a gas gun cartridge to do that.
Wow that's awesome what powder do you use in your dillon to get low SD in those. The only power that works will in my dillon is a ball powder and my gt likes running Varget.
8208 and StaBall. And low SD's aren't everything. People place way too much emphasis on SD numbers. If they calculated the elevation difference in their SDs at the distances they shot they'd realize it. I used to care about SDs but now I care far more about a load being consistent over several hundred rounds. A low pressure load does that, even if the SDs are higher. Near max, high pressure loads are finicky and have to be regularly reworked and are hard on barrels.

Here's a question, what will an ARC do that a BR won't do? Why go through the extra effort?

What will an BR do that a ARC won't do? Why go through the exta money in brass and no off the shelf ammo or very limited ammo. We can all say that it not right or worg just different. BR, BRA, Dasher, GT. Creedmoor, 243. All great and all will push a 6mm bullet. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: trdjohn and jafo96
I wonder if it performed the task you bought it to do. Sometimes if you commute to work it doesn't matter if you drive a PT Cruiser or Maserati you'll still get to work

I don't know but feeds great out of a mdt .224 Valkyrie magazine. Check it out someday. God bless you have a great day. Thanks for the inspiration. 🙏

Jesus! I have read your posts @reubenski here and there for quite a while on the hide, and there has been some useful, even helpful information. But good lord let the man shoot whatever he wants to shoot. Why the fuck does it matter to you that he shoots an ARC?! Take the pissing match to PMs if you want to change his mind. The rest of us read this thread to discuss TL3s, not to get your opinion on whether someone should be allowed to run a certain cartridge or not.

TL3 in 6mm ARC with manners PRS TCS. And mark 5hd 5-25x56 used for PRS type shooting
View attachment 7706886
That is an awesome rig... Even in 6ARC!
To be honest, if I were starting over today, that's exactly how I would set mine up. I have an early stainless model TL3, but I much prefer the black, I have a T6A, but the PRS-TCS wasn't available back then, otherwise I would have bought that.

Anyway, I've been thinking about shooting 6ARC in my TL3, just because I'd like to setup one of my ARs for 6ARC and at that point, I don't think it makes sense to have both a 6 ARC and a 6Dasher. The only think keeping me from making the jump is powder, I don't have any powder suitable for 6 ARC.

Here is a question for the hide... Does anyone make a bolt knob extension for the early TL3s? I know area 419 makes one, but my understanding is that the TL3s changed bolt knob thread pitch and design at some point.

Here is a question for the hide... Does anyone make a bolt knob extension for the early TL3s? I know area 419 makes one, but my understanding is that the TL3s changed bolt knob thread pitch and design at some point.

I've ordered custom bolt knobs from the Polished Knob out of Montana. You can find them on Facebook. They made one for my older TL3 as well as a newer thread version too. Zermatt should be able to sell you replacement bolt handles with either thread pitch as well.

So are you saying all magazines need to be modified to be used in the TL3? Or just ARC mags?
Yes, no. The brand of magazine doesn’t matter here, the ARC mag JUST comes standard with shorter feed lios than factory AICS magazines. ALL feed lips need to pair with cartridge length for CRFing. Shorter feed lips will CRF more (longer) cartridges than longer lips but too short of feeding lips and you may find stability isdues where the cartridges will want to escape out the front 2/3 (or whatever) under impact. This trim to properly fit the cartridge bring used.

Yes, no. The brand of magazine doesn’t matter here, the ARC mag JUST comes standard with shorter feed lios than factory AICS magazines. ALL feed lips need to pair with cartridge length for CRFing. Shorter feed lips will CRF more (longer) cartridges than longer lips but too short of feeding lips and you may find stability isdues where the cartridges will want to escape out the front 2/3 (or whatever) under impact. This trim to properly fit the cartridge bring used.
I've had great luck with the 224 Valkyrie MDT magazines to run 6 ARC in the tl3

I have two TL3 actions and never an issue with any mag. No cutting needed.

Reactions: Vandoogle13
I have two TL3 actions and never an issue with any mag. No cutting needed.
I did say it wouldn’t be reliable, I am glad you are happy with your set as am I. Most people aren’t aware they aren’t ACTUALLY controlling the round when feeding and many say to run the bolt fast to get it to crf but this is an attempt to overcome poor timing of the magazine.

Would be interested to see video of the slow operation of your magazine/cartridge combo setups that work for you if you would be willing to share.

Maybe if I get some time but never really slow load in actual use so slow loading doesn’t effect me. I use it with AI steel mags and MDT poly .223 mags and they feed fine.

Maybe if I get some time but never really slow load in actual use so slow loading doesn’t effect me. I use it with AI steel mags and MDT poly .223 mags and they feed fine.
Do they PUSH feed fine or are they actually fully controlled while fed? The TL3 push feeds very reliably too.

Took my TL3 chambered in 22-250 AI out for a spin in WY this weekend - it's shooting very well with the 88 gr ELDMs and RL-23. Smoked a coyote at 600 yards Friday evening and then shot my buck at 315 yards the next morning. The TL3 just continues to impress!

Bighorn TL3
X-Caliber 22" 22-250AI 1:8 twist
Manners PRS2 w/ mini chassis
Triggertech Special
Gunwerks 8ight suppressor
Vortex PST II 5-25

Snapseed 7.jpg
Snapseed 8.jpg

Last edited:
How my TL3 currently sits. Mostly used for hunting, but sometimes I'll put it in a chassis for local matches.
Bighorn TL3
TT special
Manners EH1
Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50
18" bartlein .308, 24" proof CF 65prc, 26"6cm, 20" 65cm on the way.
IMG_20211017_083548983~2.jpg

Last edited:
I know Zermatt can build these in a single shot configuration. Any issues with the extractor plate sliding over cases braking or having extraction issues when these bolt heads are ran in single shot mode?

I know Zermatt can build these in a single shot configuration. Any issues with the extractor plate sliding over cases braking or having extraction issues when these bolt heads are ran in single shot mode?
not here. and i've done quite a bit of single feeding

How my TL3 currently sits. Mostly used for hunting, but sometimes I'll put it in a chassis for local matches.
Bighorn TL3
TT special
Manners EH1
Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50
18" bartlein .308, 24" proof CF 65prc, 26"6cm, 20" 65cm on the way.
View attachment 7731306
Hows that SA working running the 6.5 PRC?
Able to mag feed?

Just curious

Range and load development I run sleds from CNC Werks. Will also let you know if your TL3 is AI cut the AICS/CS sled will need modified and CNCSWERKS can make it happen, just let them know when ordering. The sled they offer for AW requires no additional mods. Hope this helps.
27755.jpg

These work on origin actions?
If your Origin is cut with standard 700 feedlips I would say yes on the modified CS sled. I fit up a Remington 700 SA this morning and the AW sled is to long and would not seat. The pictures are of the CS/700 SA.
20211120_090743.jpg

20211120_091334.jpg