++Bighorn TL3 Builds++

bodhisafa

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2013
Anyone have any issues or see any issues with ordering a single shot version of the TL 3?
Not sure how it would snap over the extractor?

jda2631

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Mississippi
I am looking to build something very similar. I would love to see what kind of velocity you get out of that 20" barrel.
I'm hoping for 2800+ with 175gr Elite Hunter. Here is a quote from Rich Sherman on another website, referring to 175-180gr bullets. "They will run 2900' with a 20" barrel". 2900 out of a 20" barrel would be awesome!

ah1356

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 27, 2013
Nashville, TN
I'm hoping for 2800+ with 175gr Elite Hunter. Here is a quote from Rich Sherman on another website, referring to 175-180gr bullets. "They will run 2900' with a 20" barrel". 2900 out of a 20" barrel would be awesome!
I have a 28-in 7SS barrel on a short action TL3. I am getting Berger 180gr hybrids to 3,000FPS with 62gr of H1000, which is very slightly compressed when loaded to just barely fit in a magazine (OAL = 2.95). I might get a little more speed with another powder, but this load is extremely consistent beyond a mile. If you are loading to feed from a short action magazine, 2,800 is likely doable for 175gr bullets. That would be 25FPS lost per inch of barrel length, which does not seem unreasonable. Unless you are loading very long and/or very hot, I will be surprised and impressed if you get to 2,900 FPS out of a 20-inch barrel. If you do, please share your load data.

I'm not second-guessing Rich - he was a huge help to me when I set up my 7SS and he has forgotten more about this caliber than I'll ever know. I'm just offering some real-world data for what it's worth. Even if you "only" get to 2,800 FPS, the 7SS is a hammer and you won't be disappointed in its performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: jda2631

Estes640

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Bellevue, KY
Something put together from parts here.

Bighorn TL3 BA by SAC
Bartlein 26” barrel - 6.5 creed
APA fat bastard gen 2
TT Diamond
KSS A.T.S
Krg bravo
Nelson precision arca rail

1/2 moa gun or much better depending on what kind of day I’m having. Hell of a rifle and bighorn TL3s seem to be the best for me.

Attachments

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Something put together from parts here.

Bighorn TL3 BA by SAC
Bartlein 26” barrel - 6.5 creed
APA fat bastard gen 2
TT Diamond
KSS A.T.S
Krg bravo
Nelson precision arca rail

1/2 moa gun or much better depending on what kind of day I’m having. Hell of a rifle and bighorn TL3s seem to be the best for me.
Finally get tired of all those Tikkas? 😁

Rob01

Super Mod
Staff member
Belligerents
Jul 9, 2001
NC
My barrel blanks shipped to PVA yesterday for him to make some prefits in .223 and 6.5 Creedmoor for me so i will have them before the action shows up. The Manners T2A, Timney Calvin Elite and TL3 .223 bolt head are all sitting waiting for the TL3 action to show up. Going to be a lot of fun.

jda2631

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Mississippi
Finally got it all put together, just waiting on dies from Rich and ready to shoot! Built it as kind of a "Do All" hunting gun, short enough to easily maneuver in and out of blinds and vehicles with the can. I haven't weighed it yet, but probably in the 11lb range as it sits.

TL3
Manners EH1A
20" Paradigm Carbon 7ss
TT Special
Schmidt PM2 Ultra Bright 4-16x56 in ARC rings
TBAC Ultra 7

IMG_20200908_205822-01.jpeg

Flightmurse

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2018
I ordered my proof barrel on 27 April and am still waiting for it, that’s the only piece that I’m missing. I couldn’t get a bixn and tac sport to work on my action, so I have a tt diamond inbound. I’m ready to shoot this thing!

SonicBurlap

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2018
I ordered my proof barrel on 27 April and am still waiting for it, that’s the only piece that I’m missing. I couldn’t get a bixn and tac sport to work on my action, so I have a tt diamond inbound. I’m ready to shoot this thing!
Got my PROOF pre-fit a week before it hit the six months mark.

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
This thread is making me jealous!! I just need to figure out what to build.

currently have;

kelbly 6mm creed
Terminus 25 creed
Stiller 260
Defiance 300 Norma.

was thinking of doing a long action 270. Wsm build on a bighorn. Sr3 maybe.

Reactions: Matt_KJ

Flightmurse

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2018
I am still waiting for the trigger to arrive so I’ll t will be a little bit longer before I can shoot it, but here are the initial pictures
Lefty TL3
Bartlein 1:7 barrel, 25”, M24 profile
KRG bravo that I painted
Vortex pst gen 2 5-25
Incoming tt diamond, couldn’t get the tac sport pro to work

Attachments

amedeo1227

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
New Orleans, LA
Finally got it all put together, just waiting on dies from Rich and ready to shoot! Built it as kind of a "Do All" hunting gun, short enough to easily maneuver in and out of blinds and vehicles with the can. I haven't weighed it yet, but probably in the 11lb range as it sits.

TL3
Manners EH1A
20" Paradigm Carbon 7ss
TT Special
Schmidt PM2 Ultra Bright 4-16x56 in ARC rings
TBAC Ultra 7

View attachment 7419796
@jda2631
sick rifle

questions:
what's a 7ss?
what color is the manners? swamp?

SonicBurlap

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2018
I ended up picking up a barrel from someone on here and will be cancelling the proof.
PROOF Research is hoping to be back to normal lead times by sometime next year from what I've heard but these days who knows. I believe most of us are by now longing for the days when things were normal. It certainly has complicated finishing a new build by several degrees, from lead times, to runs on certain parts, and NICS wait times. The new barrel you got looks nice, what maker is it? Or is it a cerakoted PROOF steel barrel?

Flightmurse

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2018
PROOF Research is hoping to be back to normal lead times by sometime next year from what I've heard but these days who knows. I believe most of us are by now longing for the days when things were normal. It certainly has complicated finishing a new build by several degrees, from lead times, to runs on certain parts, and NICS wait times. The new barrel you got looks nice, what maker is it? Or is it a cerakoted PROOF steel barrel?
It is a bartlein that was finished by RW Snyder. I had never heard of his shop before, I am anxious to see how it shoots.

A.Huggy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2019
I have a question about TL3 extraction.
Yesterday I was fooling around with neck tension, seating depth, etc. I loaded a dummy round long to see if it would stick in the lands. (answer is yes LOL)

When I seated the round in the chamber there was resistance obviously. Either the bullet is engraving in the lands or seating deeper into the case. I expected some resistance on extraction as well, so I lifted the bolt fairly quickly. I expected the case to come out and the bullet to be stuck in the throat... instead the extractor overcame the rim of the case. I had to use a cleaning rod to extract the round.

Barely any force was necessary to remove the round with the cleaning rod, just a slight thump with my hand on the end of the cleaning rod and the round popped out. It was not stuck that bad, IMO the extractor should have been capable of pulling it out of the chamber. So my question is: has anyone else noticed their TL3 having a very weak extractor?

If that's just how TL3's are, that's fine. I guess I'll make sure to keep my cleaning rod close by. But if I'm the only one seeing this I'd like to do some troubleshooting.

wpeach1912

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2020
Yesterday I was fooling around with neck tension, seating depth, etc. I loaded a dummy round long to see if it would stick in the lands. (answer is yes LOL)

When I seated the round in the chamber there was resistance obviously. Either the bullet is engraving in the lands or seating deeper into the case. I expected some resistance on extraction as well, so I lifted the bolt fairly quickly. I expected the case to come out and the bullet to be stuck in the throat... instead the extractor overcame the rim of the case. I had to use a cleaning rod to extract the round.

Barely any force was necessary to remove the round with the cleaning rod, just a slight thump with my hand on the end of the cleaning rod and the round popped out. It was not stuck that bad, IMO the extractor should have been capable of pulling it out of the chamber. So my question is: has anyone else noticed their TL3 having a very weak extractor?

If that's just how TL3's are, that's fine. I guess I'll make sure to keep my cleaning rod close by. But if I'm the only one seeing this I'd like to do some troubleshooting.

I noticed that on mine doing the same thing. Not sure if it’s common or not though. It extracts fine on properly sized brass for me. I’m pretty sure Zermatt/bighorn has good customer service, so you could give them a call if it concerns you too.

Reactions: A.Huggy

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2018
Beast Coast
Seems like something is a little off, I had a stuck case and literally used a rubber hammer to beat the bolt handle back to open the action without the extractor letting go of the case.

Reactions: A.Huggy

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2018
Beast Coast
Thanks for the info guys, I'll give them a call. I need to place an order for a second TL3 anyway :)
They might hook you up with a new extractor, after the beating it wouldn’t chuck brass like it used to. I called up ray and he sent out a new extractor free of cost.

AHC222

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2018
Central Iowa
This thread is making me jealous!! I just need to figure out what to build.

currently have;

kelbly 6mm creed
Terminus 25 creed
Stiller 260
Defiance 300 Norma.

was thinking of doing a long action 270. Wsm build on a bighorn. Sr3 maybe.
Looks like a lineup that could use a Zermatt RimX.

Sheldon N

Blind Squirrel Finds a Nut
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2014
Pacific Northwest
So my question is: has anyone else noticed their TL3 having a very weak extractor?

The only time I've ever had an issue with extraction was with a piece of brass I fired from a different chamber. It stuck badly and when I lifted the bolt the extractor actually rounded over the edge of the brass rim creating a little ramp and popping off the case. Since the edge of the brass rim was no longer square it could clip on and off the brass without extracting it.

Knocked that brass out with a cleaning rod, didn't change anything on the gun and it's worked fine since.

Zap_Rowsdower

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2018
Alabama

Had the same issue with a new barrel that came with a very short throat. Very little effort to pop the round free with a cleaning rod but would not extract.

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Looks like a lineup that could use a Zermatt RimX.
Haha funny you say that. The next rifle I buy/purchase I want to be the deuce/vudoo/rimx. I just can’t decide which one. I was actually leaning on trying the deuce

SonicBurlap

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2018
Anybody seen Proof stainless prefits in 6.5 Creedmoor in stock anywhere?
I got one for my newest TL3 build at the end of July directly from PROOF Research. I had ordered through ExpertVoice and it was just shy of six months. Checked a couple weeks ago and it now said they weren't currently taking orders through ExpertVoice and projected they might begin again sometime next year.
You might want to check out Straightjacket Armory they've got them listed, and should they be out they've got plenty other pre-fit options on their site.

Flightmurse

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2018
Alright, today was an awesome range day! I showed some details on this build earlier, but it is finally complete and barrel break in is very promising.
First, a little back story. Back in 2016 I decided to build a 6mm creedmoor and planned on doing a savage barrel swap. I bought one from a company in Louisiana and the guy took my money and disappeared. After almost a year I was finally able to get a refund, and at that time PVA just released the John Hancock rifle. I put down a deposit for a lefty 6 creed and waited, and waited, and kind of just forgot about it. Two years later with no rifle to speak of, in April I said F you jobu and I did it myself.

lefty dlc coated TL3
Bartlein m24 profile 25”
Trigger tech diamond
KRG Bravo
Vortex pst gen 2 in their pmr rings
I started barrel break in this morning and just threw some 107gr nosler cc’s over 40gr of H4350 at .020 off the lands. I will do load development after 100 rounds of so, but this thing is a hammer! This is rounds 11-15, the top shot was on a clean bore and went a little high, but the next 4 will work for me!

Attachments