• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bikini Covers vs Butler Creek

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Which do you prefer, and why? Are their advantages of one over the other? Ive typically run Butler Creeks, but I have a new scope on the way and Im thinking about trying the bikini covers. Just want to hear some opinions.

Re: Bikini Covers vs Butler Creek

Butler Creeks suck (in my opinion), not because they break because I'm not that hard on stuff but because they get in the way if you've got an ajustable objective or your entire ocular turns... If you don't have that to contend with, I've had pretty good luck with them. I use both, how's that for a non-committal answer?

If you have a scope that you need to turn - bikini
Everything else - Butler Creek

What about the Leupold Alumina flip ups? They seem more sturdy than the BC's. I have a Leupold Mark 4 ERT M5A2 coming. It has a 34mm tube and 50mm obj. But I am unsure if it has the "standard" eyepiece. I would like to try these if I can figure out which size to order.

I was using the bikinis on my NF scope and found that the eye piece cover would touch the lens and make a smudge. Now I just use my scope coat!

Or the Tenebraex killflash ARDs with their flip covers. The flip covers rotate independently and out of the way if you have an Adj.Obj.

L

Im getting a Bushnell shortly, does it have a rear ocular focus that wouldnt allow for a rear BC cover?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No.

Try the new rubber Butler Creek Tactical caps. You ain't going to break them.</div></div>

Still waiting for the full release of these. I only see 30mm in stock. Also, their website only lists up to a 44mm objective. I hope that's not the case.

The Zeiss-style bikini caps zip tied to the scope tube is my favorite. BC caps are too fragile.

Had Butler Creeks on working rifles that have lasted for years. THEN a few years back, when I replaced a scope and had some new additions, the new BCs were worse than useless. Caps would break off for fun, and at £15+ a pop was getting expensive ($24). Went back to the manufacturer's bikini covers held on with cable ties. Not as slick in operation, but they work, and don't break when you look at them the wrong way just to spite you.

Jon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No.

Try the new rubber Butler Creek Tactical caps. You ain't going to break them. </div></div>

The sizes listed for these caps are:

Eyepiece Size
Size SKU
*13-14 41314
*16-18 41618

Objective Size
Size SKU
*25-27 42527
*28-29 42829
*43-44 44344

Are these sizes listed as the OD in mm? Trying to figure out what size to try and order for a Leupold MK6 1x6. The eye piece for this scope is 1.7in / 43.18mm and the Objective is 1.3in / 33.02mm.

Butler Creek Obj cap broke within two days of light use... I don't think these are made like they used to be made. Never had one break with that little use.

Anyway, if anyone knows what size to order or how to exactly measure for the right size let know - please.

Thanks.

I use the BC caps. They function well and I like the looks, etc.
Problem is--I also have a bag of broken ones.
I don't like the bikini type tie on because of the looks--but they work, don't break and are there when you need them.
I'm going to try the rubber type BC's that LoneWolf mentioned.

My butler creeks always break on the front hinge on the objective side. Then I end up losing the front cap.

butler creek is the crappiest product on the marked. How the hell did they get their market share?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sirhitalot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">butler creek is the crappiest product on the marked. How the hell did they get their market share? </div></div>

Probably because they weren't always crappy. I've still got 20 year old sets that are still working great. The recently manufactured ones are the problem.

I recently got back from a coues deer hunt and I had just put the aluminum scope covers on my Swaro. They look really damn good on a rifle but cost me $90.00 each. The ocular lens cover has a screw you tighten on the hinge so it will fit snugly. Well, I was carrying the rifle on a sling and I guess I didn't make the fit snug enough because it was gone at the end of the day. I thought I had it on pretty darn tight. I went back to the bikini cover.

all in all i'm not pleased with the Bikini scope covers but then i live in Arizona and not many things last long out here if they are made of plastic or rubber. i bought several of these Bikini scope covers less than 1 year ago and this is what happens, rubber connector between the two lens covers starts to degrade and shortly after it snaps completely. then you have these rubbery worms hanging from your lens covers unless you cut them off. don't know if it's the same in other states but it is a given here.
so, for me i would choose the BC caps over the Bikini/s!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the Leupold Alumina flip ups? They seem more sturdy than the BC's. I have a Leupold Mark 4 ERT M5A2 coming. It has a 34mm tube and 50mm obj. But I am unsure if it has the "standard" eyepiece. I would like to try these if I can figure out which size to order. </div></div>

Try having those things open and drop your rifle. I know it's not something anyone of us intend to do but hey, it happens. Those ridgid aluminum caps will either snap or rif themselved off of the threads ruining the caps and potentially ruining the threads on your body tube...

Then theres the enphimous Butler Creeks; I had a set on my Mark 4 for 8 years and never had a problem with them. They went through more abuse than I'd like to admit. Heck they outlasted the scope. But every since Burris bought out BC, their plastic compound has become VERY brittle. You call them about this and they try to shut you up by automatically sending you a replacement. I have been holding them to their guarontee lately and I believe they know me by name by now. The last one I have went flying when I went to flip it open right after installing it.

As for the bikini covers; I have tried using 550 cord to secure my included NF covers to my optics but I don't like them flopping around like they do. And as another poster above stated, the rubber leaves a smudge on the lenses of your not careful.

The ones I have had the best luck with is the Tenebraex ones because they conveniently flip out of the way. They even open almost flush with the body tube and they are flexible so they won't break. They do come with a price though. But in my opinion, they are worth it.

Just my two pennies.

I went bikini and never looked back. That being said a just saw scmidts cap, those are awesome.

SWFA lists the new B.C. tactical caps for sale.

I e-mailed Scott @ Liberty Optics, and now he'll be carrying them too.

I just wish they offered a few more sizes......

I use the bikini on all my scope, they are way cheaper, one size fits all, I haven't broke one yet unlike the hard caps, they get zip tied to the scope tube so I don't loose them and when they are on the objectives they don't pop open on their own.
tho hell with the flip ups.
cheers.

had bikini. in principle nice. drawback: when you remove them, you are likely going to loose them.

tried flip cover: butler i broke 2 in one month. talked to S&B. they told me to get some from Tenebraex. Installed them. Great quality, you can flip them all the way round and hold alot. The Tenebraex are installed for about a year now. No problems at all.

-> Go Tenebraex flip covers

I break butler creek caps every time i take them hunting.The bc tactical looks pretty good, not a good selection of sizes though.