• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bill Ritchie passed away in Nov

The Mechanic

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2006
San Diego County Ca.
Just saw a few weeks ago that Bill Ritchie passed away. Was getting ready to send in for the fast locktime firing pin. Guess the big "C" got him and he ended things early. Sad that that chapter and book has come to an end. Love my Windrunner.

Yeah, he was a great guy to talk to. Super helpful and knew his product inside and out. Expected since he was the original and sole designer.

I wish his son would pick up the slack - instead he closes EDM while Vigilance Rifles continues to operate without EDM/Windrunner support. Family business - let them run it how they way to I suppose.

I remember saying the word "Cheytac" to Bill back in 2006 and I thought he was going to hang up on me!

Reactions: The Mechanic
Same here. Went to Redlands when he was in Kalifornia a few times getting some things worked out and a Kepplinger installed. Good guy. I to am VERY disappointed that his son has just dropped the ball. I think there are issues with some lawsuits because of Cheytac. Given the huge distance I have to wonder what has happened to all that equipment he had. I know there are guys that still have not received their firearms back for upgrades. From what I have found he committed suicide during the holidays. :(

Reactions: mdslammer
Yep, the whole Cheytac thing was over the XM408 design. Some sort of licensing issue if I recall.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.edmarms.com\/images\/cd.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.edmarms.com\/images\/cd2.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I would imagine that the equipment was most likely leased and was returned. Any remaining assets would be liquidated to pay off debts. Still, I heard that checks got cashed after Bill's passing - not good business there. These same people haven't gotten their goods - new purchases or upgrades!

I remember talking to him and Dean Michealis. Unfortunately Dean screwed a bunch of people here on the hide. He literally dropped off the face of the earth. Sad because he was a treasure trove of information. He was intimately involved in the testing and some design of the Cheytac. Biggest problem I saw was the total lack of a business plan and management at Cheytac. They could have ruined a wet dream. That design with the controlled spin and M200 platform with the ABC computer and Lost River Bullets was state of the art and could have sold itself but alas to much testosterone in the same room at the same time. Now all that technology is just commonplace. It would be like an iPhone 5 in the 90's. Kick ass way ahead of it's time and now common place

I'm sorry to hear that, Bill was a great guy to talk with & was always happy to help a customer out.

I wonder if this means the end for accessories and other stuff for the rifle line?

I'm sorry to hear that, Bill was a great guy to talk with & was always happy to help a customer out.

I wonder if this means the end for accessories and other stuff for the rifle line?

It would seem as though it does. Tried to reach his son by way of FB but no luck. I'm thinking there was a lot going on in the family.