• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bill Wilson on the 300 AAC Blackout

Re: Bill Wilson on the 300 AAC Blackout

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, the Remington 700 barrels are not made by Remington. They have been in stock for 7 weeks but you need to call to order.</div></div>

Who are they made by then?

There is a complete set of engineering drawings where everything is specified for the barrel maker to meet our specs. We aren't disclosing our vendors though.

I guess I'll order one from Brux and know what I'm getting. I cannot fathom why it would be a secret.

That should be nice. There are a lot of good barrel makers in WI.

Another one for Robert: do you have a list of smiths who currently have the new reamer to, lets call it an upgrade, my 300/221 rifles? Thanks.

I know PTG is making a batch of the conversion reamers that don't modify headspace. I don't know who is getting them though.

Thanks Robert, kudos to you and the AAC crew for working this one out. Just discovered my Noveske barrel has a SN above the listed number safe for 300 AAC, so I'm good there. Need to call GAP to see if they will have a conversion reamer to "upgrade" the bolt gun.

Any idea when die makers other than Forester will have them available?

I suspect Redding will change their die over from 30-221 pretty soon. The more people who ask them the faster it will go.

I just ordered my Noveske 300 AAC Blackout Barrel. Building an upper for my AR. I have numerous AAC suppressors, but have a Cyclone for this type of round. How do you think the Cyclone compares to the 762-SD or the 762-SDN6 for this round. I know the cyclone is quieter than the 762-SD on .308, but curious if it will be worth it getting the 762-SDN6 for this setup. Thanks!

I think it comes down to cyclic rate gain and not just sound. The 762-SDN-6 has less gain than the 762-SD. I am not sure about the Cyclone.

Wanting to order barrel for 300 blackout. I will b shooting 220 & 240 SMK's sub sonic?? 1-8 or 1-7??? New to sub sonic

It is a bit controversial. If it were me, I would do 1:8 if you will also shoot supersonic, and 1:7 if you will stick to subsonic. And actually 1:7 might be (and probably is) just fine for supersonic, but I don't know as I never tested it.

I can modify just about and Ar-15 barrel to fit an LMT MRP! I've done 2 for myself and 3 for friends. One of which was a Noveske .308 barrel on a LMT MWS :) I'd be happy to do one for anyone interested. Cost would be $100.

I just finished building my 300 BLK and I need to post pics. Just waiting on ammo and warm weather. I'm on the list for the first 762 SDN from Maj Malf.

10" Noveske barrel
9" Troy TRX Extreme Rail with AAC Breakout
Magpul AFG 2
SF E1B with Malkoff M31 Drop In a Gear Sector Mount
Daniel Defense Upper Reciever
BCM Bolt Carrier Group
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle-Medium
TI T15 BDX Billet Lower
JP Installed Tactical Fire Control Unit
Magpul ACS Stock and MIAD Grip

This thing is LIGHT compared to everything else I shoot and it should be a lot of fun for short range stuff and shooting subsonic/suppressed!

The AAC upper has a KAC URX-2 rail, a nitrided 1:8 barrel of AAC's design, and carefully selected bolt carrier assembly parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AAC upper has a KAC URX-2 rail, a nitrided 1:8 barrel of AAC's design, and carefully selected bolt carrier assembly parts. </div></div>

What upper rec?

A standard forged flat top that we subcontract and then do final inspection and then laser mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A standard forged flat top that we subcontract and then do final inspection and then laser mark. </div></div>

Where can I purchase online?

Really the first run sold out in 15 minutes and we are at least 5 weeks away from the next few hundred and 10 weeks away from 16 inch uppers. The website won't take back orders. Calling in can get an order in the system.

2 Questions:

1) What is the recommended can for this?

2) (to whomever knows) Does the Noveske barrel have an M4 feedramp cut or no? (purely for the sake of matching an upper to it)

AAC recommends the 762-SDN-6. It is like a 762-SD, but shorter and has less gain in cyclic rate. It is also Inconel guts, which is really not needed for this round, but it works well on 308 down to a 13 inch barrel as well (HK-417).

Yes, Noveske uses what they call extended feed ramps.

Is it yet known what the optimum barrel lengths are for both sub and super are, where performance is concerned?

And any plans for an integrally suppressed upper assembly?

300blk.jpg

It gets up to speed early but just keeps on getting faster as the barrel gets longer - but on a curve so as it progresses, longer barrels do less per inch.

I picked 16 inch for the SAAMI standard test barrel because I think that is the best tradeoff between not being cumbersome and having good velocity. This was unusual as 24 inch is the standard SAAMI test barrel length. I could have picked it, but that would make all ammo makers publish velocity numbers which no one would ever get in get in their guns.

For an AR I would not go above 20 inches. For a bolt gun I would not go above 24 inches. But if you want to shoot subsonic ammo, I would stick to 16 inches or less.

rsilvers,

Thanks for that. It's interesting to see the graph and it kind of looks to me like anything over 20" starts to cross into diminishing returns anyway.

You have done a heck of a job on this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For an AR I would not go above 20 inches. For a bolt gun I would not go above 24 inches. But if you want to shoot subsonic ammo, I would stick to 16 inches or less. </div></div>I have found the 10" to be a very efficient length for subs.
You get 1.25 rotation of the bullet prior to exiting the muzzle, enough length to get a full burn and not have the additional barrel length act as drag on the bullet.
If one were to use a 16' barrel, finding a powder & charge weight that would give full burn should provide accuracy gains in a bolt action.

This cartridge has far exceeded my expectations and I've just scratched the surface...
I'm curious to see how accurate I can get my subsonic loads to be.
The different bullet combinations will be fun to play with as well.

I wonder how much more things will take off after the SHOT show???

The barrels are fully chambered and designed to use a Remington recoil lug for which you need to grind a few thou off if your NOGO gauge chambers.

This is a super sweet project. As a former owner of a 300 whisper and an AAC dealer it is sweet to see this go main stream! I will be ordering a 12.5" upper when they are in. It would be sweet if it had 3 gas settings of ON, Suppressed, and OFF. Kind of like a Noveske switchblock.

We sound metered off and it was not any quieter. We did not have settings on the gas block because we designed the ammo to work without needing one. That is one of the benefits of being a gun and ammo company.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Subsonic308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a super sweet project. As a former owner of a 300 whisper and an AAC dealer it is sweet to see this go main stream! I will be ordering a 12.5" upper when they are in. It would be sweet if it had 3 gas settings of ON, Suppressed, and OFF. Kind of like a Noveske switchblock. </div></div>
Noveske plans on releasing a switchblock version later in 2011.
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=63031

Switchblock 300 AAC question

rsilvers answer
"We sound metered off and it was not any quieter. We did not have settings on the gas block because we designed the ammo to work without needing one. That is one of the benefits of being a gun and ammo company."

This is why I love the idea so much! I still like the Idea of a switch block as it will make it more TACTICALCOOL! Called Mike at AAC and ordered one of each of the uppers they had for sale (9",12/5", and 16"). With a PVS 14 and a PEQ-15 with these uppers the Zombies will not even know they are under fire.

In full auto it is like an MP-5sd with kick-ass performance. I only hope Remington produces bulk brass for reloading as it differs for the 300/221 brass a small amount.

Looks like it may just be a gas port size problem.

Todd at Noveske
"Everything we make from here will be 300 AAC BLACKOUT, it will absolutely be compatible and marked 300 BLK.

Headspace did not change. Gas ports will be checked and or set for the factory ammo, I'm going to look at barrel lengths as well but not much is going to change from our 300 Fireball but the name. It will be very little if any change for any manufacturer that currently makes a 300 Fireball or 300-221 and they will gain a larger customer market, people who do not reload and even people who do reload but not wildcats.

I will let customers who have our older 300 Fireball know if they can shoot 300 AAC BLACKOUT ammunition safely or if they will need to have the chamber re-cut. I expect any 300 Fireball, 300-221 or 300 Whisper(R) barrel will be compatible or convertible to 300 AAC BLACKOUT.

Thanks for the info rsilvers!

Part of the plan to help this make sense for people, aside from the features it offers, is good pricing and the ability to hunt in states which do not allow 223 for medium game.

The closest price comparison for the $12.99 300 BLK supersonic ammo is to brass-cased 7.62x39mm:

Imported:
Sellier & Bellot Ammunition 7.62x39mm Russian 123 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 20 - MidwayUSA $11.59
Prvi Partizan Ammunition 7.62x39mm Russian 123 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 20 - MidwayUSA $13.79

USA:
Remington UMC Ammunition 7.62x39mm Russian 123 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 20 - MidwayUSA $15.29
Federal American Eagle Ammunition 7.62x3... 20 - MidwayUSA $15.99
Winchester USA Ammunition 7.62x39mm Russian 123 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 20 - MidwayUSA $17.29

So $16.19 average for USA, which is 25% more expensive than 300 AAC BLACKOUT based on MidwayUSA prices, or 41% more if you use the $11.50 pricing that one dealer is offering for 300 BLK.

Does anyone have the 220otm in stock yet rsilvers that you know of?

If you just want to sell me 5 boxes out of your personal stash, that's cool too.
wink.gif

220 came and went. Sold out until January. Maybe AcuSport has some, I am not sure. MidwayUSA says they will have some in a few days. I am not sure it will last more than a day though or probably their back orders are larger than what they have coming in this month. That will all change starting with the next batch as the quantities are getting large and the first million rounds are coming up soon after the Shot Show.

I now get why Rsilver said they don't need a switch block. These things function 100% on all factory ammo. Here is my new Noveske 300 AAC Blackout with a 9MM Osprey with a 5/8 24 adapter (220 OTM only). I think someday this will out sell the 6.8SPC in sales when everyone gets to see the benifits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill Wilson (Wilson Combat) sent me some info on testing the new 300AAC AR15 round and testing it’s terminal performance hunting.

“Bobcat at 40yds, amazing based on the exit wound we had good bullet expansion, 172# sow taken at 85yds, both with 130gr TTSX at 2050fps MV, one shot DRT with massive spine/lung damage on hog. It’s like shooting a pop gun, minimal report and no recoil………………. We’re going to shoot several bullets into the hog in the am and recover some bullets to see what kind of expansion we’re getting.”
DSCF3475.jpg

DSCF3472.jpg

DSCF3477.jpg

Recovered bullets:
Bullets recovered after passing thru the shoulder area (12&#8243; thick) of a 172# hog shot from 75yds. We did not recover the TTSX bullet that killed her last night, it penetrated 19&#8243; and exited.

Barnes 130gr TTSX penetrated the hog and approx 8&#8243; of water behind it, expansion is .502&#8243; at the widest point, 100% weight retention. We shot 3 more from 125yds and penetration was a little more, 1 went thru both the of the first two 5&#8243; thick water jugs and into the third, but expansion dropped down slightly to .479&#8243;, .488&#8243; and .490&#8243;. Load was 18gr H110, 2.160&#8243; OAL, MV was 2050fps.

Nosler 125gr Ballistic Hunter penetrated the hog and approx 2&#8243; of water, core and jacket were seperated and both combined weighed 108gr, was suprised at the amount of penetration with this fragile bullet. Load was 18gr H110, 2.160&#8243; OAL, MV was 2075fps.

Based on what I’ve seen so far I think the 300AAC will be adequate for deer and hogs with the 130gr TTSX out to 150yds, which is about as far as I normally shoot anyway. The Nosler Ballistic Hunter should work fine for smaller hogs and deer, but I wouldn’t want to stick one in a 200+# tough old boar. The Ballistic Hunter would be one heck of a home defense round…

DSCN0655.jpg
</div></div>

Does anyone know anything about this forend? Seems to be a different variation of what they show on their website. I really like it alot better.

I have a 300-221 barrel. I read in this thread about a special reamer that is designed to just open up the lead. Is that reamer still aviable?

does AAC recommend the 762-SDN-6 for a 9.75" pws sbr? or are there are recommendations?

Outlaw6 Aaron Fouraker of Delta Co Arms did mine. Lately he has been tough to get a hold of but yes it can be done.

Geevee I shoot my 7.62sd and have no issues with it

I might be able to get you a few boxes, Remington 300BLK 220GR OTM Subsonic. how many? let me know