• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bill Wilson on the 300 AAC Blackout

ccoker

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2008
Central Texas
www.tacticalgunreview.com
Bill Wilson (Wilson Combat) sent me some info on testing the new 300AAC AR15 round and testing it’s terminal performance hunting.

“Bobcat at 40yds, amazing based on the exit wound we had good bullet expansion, 172# sow taken at 85yds, both with 130gr TTSX at 2050fps MV, one shot DRT with massive spine/lung damage on hog. It’s like shooting a pop gun, minimal report and no recoil………………. We’re going to shoot several bullets into the hog in the am and recover some bullets to see what kind of expansion we’re getting.”
DSCF3475.jpg

DSCF3472.jpg

DSCF3477.jpg

Recovered bullets:
Bullets recovered after passing thru the shoulder area (12″ thick) of a 172# hog shot from 75yds. We did not recover the TTSX bullet that killed her last night, it penetrated 19″ and exited.

Barnes 130gr TTSX penetrated the hog and approx 8″ of water behind it, expansion is .502″ at the widest point, 100% weight retention. We shot 3 more from 125yds and penetration was a little more, 1 went thru both the of the first two 5″ thick water jugs and into the third, but expansion dropped down slightly to .479″, .488″ and .490″. Load was 18gr H110, 2.160″ OAL, MV was 2050fps.

Nosler 125gr Ballistic Hunter penetrated the hog and approx 2″ of water, core and jacket were seperated and both combined weighed 108gr, was suprised at the amount of penetration with this fragile bullet. Load was 18gr H110, 2.160″ OAL, MV was 2075fps.

Based on what I’ve seen so far I think the 300AAC will be adequate for deer and hogs with the 130gr TTSX out to 150yds, which is about as far as I normally shoot anyway. The Nosler Ballistic Hunter should work fine for smaller hogs and deer, but I wouldn’t want to stick one in a 200+# tough old boar. The Ballistic Hunter would be one heck of a home defense round…

DSCN0655.jpg

Re: Bill Wilson on the 300 AAC Blackout

does that can thread on the end of the bbl? is it inside the forearm?--how is this round compare to 300 whisper?

The round is the same sort of concept as 300 Fireball that 300 Whisper is based on. But 300 AAC BLACKOUT has some more lead so it is capable of higher velocity for any given pressure - just like 6.8 SPC-II can be loaded hotter than 6.8 SAMMI or 5.56mm compared to 223.

Also 300 AAC BLACKOUT has been submitted to SAMMI as a standard.

And Remington is making factory ammo for $12.99 a box MSRP. So it is lower cost than 6.8.

What barrel length where you using? Any feeding issues at all? Does the barrel have m4 style feed ramps? Did you notice a increase in back pressure shooting with the can compared to 5.56?

I just wish someone came out with an ar style barrel already....

I hear he was using PMC 223 brass that was trimmed down to 1.355. Just sayin...

is there anything currently out as far as uppers go?? Also is this a roll your own affair or is it produced by anyone ATM?

Wow, what rail is that? It looks kinda like a different take of the SWS E1 (What noveske uses)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also Rsilvers... Please somehow get LMT to get on board with 300blk MRP barrels! =] </div></div>

Ask them. If a company get requests then that helps. Let us know what they say.

I can't give our barrel source.

Hear that?

...thats the sound of the 300 whisper becoming obsolete

AcuSport was just shipped a lot today.

BullsEye Range in GA has it in stock already with free shipping. I think it will be at MidwayUSA pretty soon.

123 full power ammo this month and expanding hunting / LE ammo in a few months.

I suspect the .300 AAC BLK will far surpass the .300 Whisper. It already seems like there is more interest in it than there was in the .300 Whisper. I know I'd love an upper to test.

@ rsilvers

You guys gotten any ink for this yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chrismartin photo

web.jpg
</div></div>

That is a thing of beauty!

Anyone have a dimensional cartridge drawing for this round?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hear that?

...thats the sound of the 300 whisper becoming obsolete </div></div>
not obsolete, just commercial
wink.gif

I love it

This is a great cartridge for heavy subsonics but I can't see why everyone is so excited about its supersonic capabilities. Case capacity from 5.56 is reduced by what, 20-25%? It just seems hamstrung to me. Give me 6.8SPC Spec II for supersonic any day. This is nothing more than 300 Whisper/Fireball with another name (and major corporate support, which is a big plus). I look forward to trying the 220 gr. ammo, though I will continue to load my own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hear that?

According to Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge, they should be completely interchangeable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300LW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hear that?

According to Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge, they should be completely interchangeable.
</div></div>

This is what I was wanting the dimensions for, to see if they are the same. I'm a barrel and reamer short of a rifle. I was going to order a 300/221 reamer but I'll do a 300blk if it is to be the new norm. I see Kiff has the reamer listed for this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300LW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a great cartridge for heavy subsonics but I can't see why everyone is so excited about its supersonic capabilities. Case capacity from 5.56 is reduced by what, 20-25%? It just seems hamstrung to me. Give me 6.8SPC Spec II for supersonic any day. This is nothing more than 300 Whisper/Fireball with another name (and major corporate support, which is a big plus). I look forward to trying the 220 gr. ammo, though I will continue to load my own.
</div></div>

Yeah. From what I can tell, it appears to be just below velocity threshhold for tissue destroying wounding which, IIRC, needs to be 2500 fps.

Though it could still be destructive at close range.

Did you guys not see the hunting photos? It destroys tissue.

300 AAC BLACKOUT has a longer throat, so comparing it to 300 Fireball is like comparing 6.8 SPC-II to 6.8, or 5.56mm to 223.

300LW, the cartridge is much more efficient than 223. That is why it has more muzzle energy than 223 even with a smaller case. 6.8 is always a good option for hunting, especially in longer barrels.

If I was limited to one upper this would be the way to go. I'd rather optimize the gun to the mission, though, and for me that's two uppers and two calibers--300AAC/FB and 6.8SpecII. I love them both.

tagged

Have a 300 Whisper and 6.8, interested to see where this actually fits in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300LW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hear that?

</div></div>

This is what I was wanting the dimensions for, to see if they are the same. I'm a barrel and reamer short of a rifle. I was going to order a 300/221 reamer but I'll do a 300blk if it is to be the new norm. I see Kiff has the reamer listed for this. </div></div>

Hey, thats pretty cool then!

I'll really have to get the ball rolling on a trust to make the most of all this good news.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also Rsilvers... Please somehow get LMT to get on board with 300blk MRP barrels! =] </div></div>
DBMG offers conversions and they use Noveske barrels.

The loaded cartridges are not interchangeable.

300 AAC BLACKOUT has a longer throat, so that you can generally load it hotter for the same chamber pressure.

If you take 300 AAC BLACKOUT ammo which is 55,000psi in an 300 AAC BLACKOUT chamber, and shoot it in a Wildcat chamber, I would expect the pressures to go into the 60,000 and above range - maybe even 70,000psi.

This is the same sort of thing that happens if you shoot 5.56mm ammo in a 223 chamber, or 6.8 SPC-II ammo in a 6.8 SPC chamber.

any benifit to using the new 762sdn over the 762sd with it? I already have 762sd

I PMed Bill, told him he might not know this, but I'm kind of a big deal, we'll see how that works out for me.

Any info comes my way, I'll pass it along.

The 762-SDN-6 is shorter, quieter, more durable, and does not raise cyclic rate as much, but other than that - no benefits.

Yes, you can use the 762-SD just fine.

If anyone needs reamers to change the Whisper over to a 300 AAC Blackout R. Silvers has a special reamer design that has a no cut shoulder that will let folks ream the 30-221 and all other wildcats out to the new 300 AAC Blackout with out the reamer cutting past the correct headspace. He and I feel you should check your headspace before and after you ream your barrel. This will give you the longer throat and correct size to asure you have no problems . Mr Silvers hit a home run with this idea. Thanks Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also Rsilvers... Please somehow get LMT to get on board with 300blk MRP barrels! =] </div></div>

Ask them. If a company get requests then that helps. Let us know what they say.

I can't give our barrel source. </div></div>

I wont buy a barrel unless I know its spun by a reputable company...... thats going to hurt sales not knowing who's barrel your shooting. I think it should be released. Thats need to know info.

I shopped for each part of the barrel carefully. Started with about a dozen suppliers and worked down to just three after availability, borescope inspections, gauging, and accuracy tests. Burned through several barrel extension makers and ended up with one completely mil spec when I could not verify that the others were as their drawings were not complete. We worked out a very specific nitriding process. I can't give out the formula for re-creating our barrel - it took a year to get to this point. We are very pleased. This is not willy nilly from a gunsmith - these are made to an exact set of engineering drawings and technical data package and we did function testing with three high speed video cameras, lots of ammo, and it will be approaching 20 rifles that the testing is based off of.

Robert,

By the numbers the 762SD shows to be alittle quiter than the N version?

The N-6 version is quieter on every gun tested, as far as I know. I am not sure by how much.

Very cool to have THE one and only Bill Wilson posting on such an excellent platform. Bill, keep up the outstanding work!!!! Your companies quality and innovation is what ALL other companies aspire to reach!!!! Your company has a humungous customer base due to your commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. It is unparalleled in the industry!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shopped for each part of the barrel carefully. Started with about a dozen suppliers and worked down to just three after availability, borescope inspections, gauging, and accuracy tests. Burned through several barrel extension makers and ended up with one completely mil spec when I could not verify that the others were as their drawings were not complete. We worked out a very specific nitriding process. I can't give out the formula for re-creating our barrel - it took a year to get to this point. We are very pleased. This is not willy nilly from a gunsmith - these are made to an exact set of engineering drawings and technical data package and we did function testing with three high speed video cameras, lots of ammo, and it will be approaching 20 rifles that the testing is based off of. </div></div>

Are the Remington 700 barrels made by Remington? When are you going to have them in stock?

No, the Remington 700 barrels are not made by Remington. They have been in stock for 7 weeks but you need to call to order.