• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Binocular range finder suggestions?

VKC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Battle Born, U.S.A.
Does anyone have suggestions for binocular laser range finder? Variable magnification would be preferred. Any comments on Leica Geovid? Thanks.

Re: Binocular range finder suggestions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have suggestions for binocular laser range finder? Variable magnification would be preferred. Any comments on Leica Geovid? Thanks. </div></div>

Better have some serious coin....

Just sayin....

I have been using the leupold RXB IV for about a year over here. They are under $700 and work as well as one would expect for that price. They are no geovids, but work well for my needs. My only real complaint is the shape and how they need to be held right up against my nose, there is no notch. It gets a little uncomfortable with extended use. Plus optics planet got them to me APO in 5 days... hard to beat that.

the new zeiss rf binoculars are awesome. the leica's are good too, but i find the zeiss model more comfortable

I can not speak highly enough of the Geovids, I have a set of the 10X42 and they go everywhere with me.

Leica.jpg

Looking at link that dpreston's posted, there they seem to prefer Leica over Zeiss. Here Zeiss prefered. I'll update list with links to be clear we are talking about same products.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products...ing-binoculars/

http://www.smt.zeiss.com/C12567A80033F8E4/Contents-Frame/F252D26DB40990B2C12573DA003BB886

http://en.leica-camera.com/sport_optics/geovid_binoculars/

http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/news/news_military10x50.html

Does anyone have real "field" experience with both Leica and Zeiss, and can comment? Or with others? Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can not speak highly enough of the Geovids, I have a set of the 10X42 and they go everywhere with me.

Leica.jpg
</div></div>

That is a nice setup. What tripod are you using with the Lecia mount? Also, where did you find the killFlash ARD for the Geoids?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgpatty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can not speak highly enough of the Geovids, I have a set of the 10X42 and they go everywhere with me.

Leica.jpg
</div></div>

That is a nice setup. What tripod are you using with the Lecia mount? Also, where did you find the killFlash ARD for the Geoids? </div></div>

It's "Ultrapod", they make several, this model ("Ultrapod II")is strong enough to hold the Leicas for use prone or on the bench. It folds up pretty nicely as well, and being plastic weighs pratically nothing.
The ARDs were from a set of objective covers with them, not Butler Creek, the Bushwhacker.
Anyway, the ARDs from a set of them (I'll have to try to find the size so I can order a couple of spares) snap tightly into the Leica objectives, especially after I built up the diameter of the inside edge a bit. I've expected to lose one, but haven't yet. Also, I can see no influence over the laser rangefinder's performance at all. Obviously, I don't use them all the time, but I like having the option.
I have never seen the Zeiss, and yes, the Swaro rangefinder performs a bit better than the Leica. But I've had these Geovids for years now, and have always found them much more than adequate both as a rangefinder and binoculars.

Well... we've done this before, we have lined up Leica's and Zeiss together, and the Zeiss hands down are ahead everytime. The Zeiss and Leica both have good glass, the Zeiss out performs on rangefinding, both in distance and discerning the correct target.

I'm thinking of trading my zeiss for the new bigger set coming out... it's only money...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... it's only money... </div></div>

Well said, but it is a lot of money!

I bought the Geovids several years ago (on Zak's recommendation) for $1495 shipped online from an old link deleted from the dealer's website, didn't think they would honor it but they did! It sure as heck is convenient to have RF/Binoc combined.

In my 800 meter envelope, the Leica rangefinder has been consistent and reliable, only slightly inferior to the Swaro. Past 800-900 meters the Leica starts show it's limitations, and past 1000 it's no contest although the Leica is still useable (unlike many others).
One other thing to consider, the Swaro's glass is good, very very very good. Sure it's a monocular, but a very dang good one at that!

Mike, how does the Zeiss binoc's rangefinder compare to the Swaro?
And what about the Zeiss rangefinder/monocular, is it in the Swaro's class?

lets see some more geovids. i played with a pair yesterday and i absolutley loved them, i will have my own pair soon enough.

Love my Geovid 8x42, great for hunting and range. Have tried the more cumbersome Zeiss RF but didmt think the extra weight really made it as practical for carrying etc. You cant go wrong with the Geovid!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love my Geovid 8x42, great for hunting and range. Have tried the more cumbersome Zeiss RF but didmt think the extra weight really made it as practical for carrying etc. You cant go wrong with the Geovid! </div></div>

I've got the 10X42, but if I had to do it over I'd get the 8X, they really are that much easier to use, the slight increase in power isn't worth it handheld.
With the 10s, some sort of "pod" is a blessing, even from the prone position where you can get pretty good stability using both hands.

A short monopod, with an adjustable ball head is in the works. For me, from the prone position, I think this will prove to be superior to the 3 legged pod, operationally.

Any comments on how Steiner's binocular range finder compares to Zeiss and Geovid?

The Newcon 3000 Pro deserves mention. Its glass doesn't compare with the other two, but the laser kicks ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
Mike, how does the Zeiss binoc's rangefinder compare to the Swaro?
And what about the Zeiss rangefinder/monocular, is it in the Swaro's class? </div></div>

Can't answer that, haven't played with the Swaro RF, although the Swaro binos I have looked thru have been first class. Main thing we liked most about the Zeiss RF binos was the range finder, it kicked butt over the Leica on range and ability to range in less than perfect conditions.

Keep in mind, Zeiss didn't release their RF binos for about 3 years after Leica, they worked on the thing long after it was designed, before it was released. As fast as electronics advance, 3 years is a long time. As you may know, there is a limit on how much laser power a consumer device may possess. I think the difference in the two is how sensitive the reception of the reflected signal is..... specify, I THINK, this is the difference.

Also, using NVD's ( PVS14) the zeiss beam appears more compact, that may also contribute. I think if we can get a bunch of RF binos together again, we may take some pics and share.... unfortunately, most of my gang has the Zeiss RF, only one guy left has the Leica's anymore.

I guess, last consideration, if 800 meters is your envelope, either is going to work out for you, most of the time. Past that, or in foggy/dusty or bright conditions, YMMV.

Looked at the Geovid at the store, and it's really nice. Wish I could find a local store, which has the others. Any suggestions as to where to order?

Does anyone have an opinion about that max magnification on binoculars before needing a tripod? I've always thought about 10x?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know price for Vector IV? </div></div>

$12,700.00 US

I bought a new pair of Leica Geovid HD 10x42 (meters) in November 2009. Had them 4 months and they quit working. I sent them back to Leica, while I was waiting for them to get repaired I picked up the Zeiss 10x45 RF. Hands down a better unit, worth the extra cash. They range farther, faster and the optics are better. The feature I really like is getting a range when you release the button. On the Lieca you push the button the reticule appears, than you have to push the button again to get the range. I don't like left handed design of the Leica either. I just got my Leica's back, they sent me a new pair which was great, so if you want to try a pair out they are for sale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know price for Vector IV? </div></div>

$12,700.00 US</div></div>

uhhh...I'm sure Vector is really nice, but that's out of my price range, as I think it is for most non-millionaires. Thank for letting me know price.

Is there anything slightly lower quality like this for under $600?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know price for Vector IV? </div></div>

$12,700.00 US</div></div>

uhhh...I'm sure Vector is really nice, but that's out of my price range, as I think it is for most non-millionaires. Thank for letting me know price. </div></div>

Well unless you need to do ranging for artillery or mortars these are a little over the top... I plan on going with the swarovski but i might wait for the leica 1600 to come out to see how it compares

For my 600-700 yd. coyotes, etc. the Leica's been good to me. Added this portable spotting scope system (Bushnell 3200 2.5 doubler), and it's great...for it's portability--

IMG_0660.jpg

Does anyone know the difference between new HD lens? And if cameraland is offering demo price with new HD lens or not?

The HD's are based on the Ultravid HD glass and the older series is based on the original Ultravid glass. The HD's have a 5% better light transmission.
Yes, we have demos of the Geovid HD's available

Any hint at whether Leica is going to offer their rebate at the end of the year again?

My vote is the new 10 x 56 ziess just used it in Africa and It was great. Best I have used to date....

I learned three things about zeiss.
1. The first day I could not even range 250 to 350 yards. I was pissed to say the least...I was kicking my self for even getting rid of my Leica's. Then by chance I opened the Binocs a little bit and They worked great... I mean great.... See my eyes are really close together so I need the binocs completely closed to use them...
2. On a really sunny day I had to range tree line or big trees or bushes when I went to 800 + yards..
3. Then one day the clouds came in and It was overcast.... I literally could range animals out to 1700+ yards... Yes I said animals....It was completely amazing... I know for a fact and I have used all of the high end commercial range finder binocs.....
The zeiss 10x56 Are the best....

BTW--thks Doug for that "used" Leica pictured above...works great!! Looked a bit newer though when i 1st purchased it--seen 2 coyote/etc. seasons now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sscoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For my 600-700 yd. coyotes, etc. the Leica's been good to me. Added this portable spotting scope system (Bushnell 3200 2.5 doubler), and it's great...for it's portability--

IMG_0660.jpg
</div></div>

Looks like the best of best worlds, where did you get your bushnell 3200?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gr8fuldoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The HD's are based on the Ultravid HD glass and the older series is based on the original Ultravid glass. The HD's have a 5% better light transmission.
Yes, we have demos of the Geovid HD's available</div></div>

Doug, but the prices you are offering for "new Geovid 8x42 & new Geovid 15x56 at the demo prices"...do they have HD glass? Thanks.

VKC, got the 3200 through Sportsman's Warehouse here in CO Spgs. They are available through some on-line sites though. Just google Bushnell 3200 doubler. Heck, bet Doug here's got 'em too. The FOV is just slightly out of focus at the edges on this optic though since the ocular lens on these Leicas is quite convex. It's perfect though on my Leupold 10-20x Compact spotting scope making it at 25-50x. Works well even at 50x on bright days. Best part is the portability and a slip-on system--way better than the screw-ins...IMO. Obviously not really made for a long spotting session though.

IMG_0661.jpg

I've got a vector IV. Very nice, very clear, and very heavy. Overkill for anything but the really large calibres.