• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod Discussion: Hog Saddle PRST or Feisol CT-3342

TheHiggsField

TRG@CRC
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2012
Denver Colorado
Greetings all,
I am currently in the market for a tripod and am finding myself torn between these two options. Sure, I've considered the RRS tripods but its hard to justify the cost which is 2.5x the cost of what these are running. The price of the Hog Saddle and the Feisol are near identical, so that's not a factor. The PRST is nearly twice the weight of the Feisol but even at 4.1 lbs. I cant see it being too much more of a burden. So here is the tradeoff that I am having difficulty rectifying: The PRST has a small adjustable center column that allows the user to make fine height adjustments when the legs are locked in, but the legs seem to be a bit narrow which may compromise stability a bit. The Feisol lacks a center column but has a bigger footprint. If you were to buy one based on this criteria which one would you choose and why?

Check out this link and then consider options. https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...and-rrs-ta-u-lc-leveling-head-review-pictures

My advice- Go with the Feisol 3372. The larger leg diameter adds stability and the slightest of weight. The center column is not something I would recommend to anyone unless strictly for a spotter, but even then I'd prefer not to have a center column. The 3372 it the direct competitor to the RRS tripods. I will say the RRS is obviously a little nicer quality wise, but the Feisol is no slouch. The twist locks on the RRS are a little more positive in comparison to the Feisol, but I prefer the lever for changing leg angles rather than the push out change leg angle push back in mechanism RRS uses.

If this is for shooting, spotting and other uses (match/competition use) I'd also suggest the RRS TA-U-LC head. 15 degrees of till may not sound like much, but I promise you its more than enough for most situation. Once you have the tripod there are many ways to quickly manipulate the legs or twist locks to make more adjustment if needed. If you prefer the ball head the BH55 is awesome. I've found that leveling heads are more stable than ballhead though. Please feel free to read over this review that I did on the Feisol 3372. I was probably one of the first running that setup and mine has been beat to shit but still works great!

+1 to Shane's comments.

Feisol 3372, RRS TA-U-LC head, mount a plate to your rifle and plates to any of your spotters/binos.

Awesome! Ill give it a look, i like the leveling base idea from RRS since im getting their rail adapter and barricade stop in the mail tomorrow. And guess it is worth mentioning that this will be used almost exclusively as a shooting support. I have another bipod to use for observational devices. Just out of curiosity how is the center column a disadvantage in your opinion?

Last edited:
The PRST carbon fiber tripod was specifically made and designed to be a shooting tripod with a targeted price point. Its even manufactured by Norwegian army snipers.

Some unique features are:
-Interchangeable spiked feet and load bearing center-column hook that greatly increase stability.
-Reduced IR signature Cerakote
-365 degree rotating center column allows for precise elevation adjustment and allows the option to direct mount a saddle without a ball head.
-User adjustable cam lever leg locks. If a leg lock ever becomes loose, a hex key simply adds tension.

You'll hear from guys who are religiously against center columns but with the right shooting fundamentals you can easily maintain MOA to sub-MOA groups with a center columned tripod.
Not sure how much better people expect a tripod to perform. That's beyond most people's capabilities in the prone.

If you are headed to a sniper school, possibly shooting through concertina wire, or expect to be shooting through thick vegetation on a hunt, you'll wish you had the precise elevation adjustment a center column provides.
You'll hear the argument that a center column isn't ideal but neither is shooting off of a tripod in the first place. Unfortunately life doesn't spoon-feed us with prone shots.

Another good example is to look at the top finishers of the international and SOCOM sniper competitions. For years all of the top teams have been (and continue to do so) using tripods with center columns. Most with HOG Saddles too.

Thanks for the awesome replies guys, I really appreciate it. Im going to mull over the tripod decision for a bit, but i am definitely sold on the leveling base and will be ordering that next paycheck.