• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod Extenders; Light Gun ELR: How much diff they make?

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi All,

I am currently shooting 33xc in light gun ELR matches. Last match I saw some competitors using bipod extenders (link below). How much diff do they make to the felt recoil? Are there any other advantages as well? If people who have made the switch, can share their experience, will be great.

thanks

Harjeet

Last edited:
Reduce recoil? Or extend the lever angle?

It only does one of these

And it also majorly changes the bipod location in the exact opposite of the purpose of something like an elite iron where the angle of the legs is above the bore

Reduce recoil? Or extend the lever angle?

It only does one of these

And it also majorly changes the bipod location in the exact opposite of the purpose of something like an elite iron where the angle of the legs is above the bore
What are the advantages of using these extenders? From your answer it seems they change lever angle? I am not clear on what the significance of lever angle is...thanks for your time and assistance.

He means how much motion induced by the shooter at the butt stock is translated into motion at the muzzle. Put the bipod just in front of the trigger group, and a little wiggle of the butt results in a LOT of wiggle at the muzzle. Move the bipod out to the end of the forend and that same amount of wiggle in the butt gives a lot less wiggle at the muzzle. They're just taking that concept and extending it even further, way out past the end of the forend to maximize the effect of a long fulcrum on a distant pivot point.

He means how much motion induced by the shooter at the butt stock is translated into motion at the muzzle. Put the bipod just in front of the trigger group, and a little wiggle of the butt results in a LOT of wiggle at the muzzle. Move the bipod out to the end of the forend and that same amount of wiggle in the butt gives a lot less wiggle at the muzzle. They're just taking that concept and extending it even further, way out past the end of the forend to maximize the effect of a long fulcrum on a distant pivot point.
Got it...I also watched some youtube videos once this was clarified. Yeah, it does make sense.

Got it...I also watched some youtube videos once this was clarified. Yeah, it does make sense.
They are good for shooting when the inclines are relatively level. You will notice the minimized movement fairly quickly. Also handy for adjusting the level of the gun since the gun can pivot on the bipod-x rather than the bipod. For high angle down, it is often best to collapse them because the height of the back can amount to a rather large stack of pads and a prone position that resembles a yoga position. Really only an issue at Black Bear though where we have targets at -12 degrees. When only partially extending them for whatever reason, it is best to extent the larger tube first.

-Alex

Reactions: lash and harry_x1
I've never used one but I'd like to try so. I'm just going to use some square tubing to try it out, arca clamp on one end and a rail on the other.

The question that should be asked is what problems do they cause. Yes there are some advantages and using them but it would be much better to have a longer forend and a lower center of gravity design. They help on some areas if you choose the wrong stock or chassis the help with tracking if your rifle is not set up properly. But they cause lots of problems as well. Simply put its a patch for a poorly designed rifle.

The question that should be asked is what problems do they cause. Yes there are some advantages and using them but it would be much better to have a longer forend and a lower center of gravity design. They help on some areas if you choose the wrong stock or chassis the help with tracking if your rifle is not set up properly. But they cause lots of problems as well. Simply put its a patch for a poorly designed rifle.
When I make mine I was going to put a bend in it so the bipod would sit as close to barrel or closer than it does now.

What other draw backs is there?

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a stock that is anywhere near the length an extension would offer, or maybe there’s a happy medium? I’m in the planning stages of a rifle build so I’d be open to stock suggestions or some to look at. I was planning on having one custom made.

When I make mine I was going to put a bend in it so the bipod would sit as close to barrel or closer than it does now.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a stock that is anywhere near the length an extension would offer, or maybe there’s a happy medium? I’m in the planning stages of a rifle build so I’d be open to stock suggestions or some to look at. I was planning on having one custom made.
It acts like a pogo stick if out to far. They can cause the rifle to be top heavy due to way below center
They can cause vertical shot string issues . They cause to much flex in your platform. Thet cause unwanted vibration. That show up in your scope plex. They can cause stability issues movement and twist

It acts like a pogo stick if out to far. They can cause the rifle to be top heavy due to way below center
They can cause vertical shot string issues . They cause to much flex in your platform. Thet cause unwanted vibration. That show up in your scope plex. They can cause stability issues movement and twist
Sounds like it all stems back to flex of the system or being unstable due to height. Thanks for the input.
I can't imagine there being much flex in 1" square tubing 1/4" wall but I'll find out I guess.

JAE with the 6" ARCA rail.

JAE-Gen-4-22-600x450.jpg

Reactions: hauntfreak5366
do very many ELR shooters use an extended bipod such as the BipodeXt MSR Pro Rifle Stabilizer?

I am brand new to ELR and i plan on using my new 300PRC build to get me started in this event. I have a Foundation Genesis II stock, which is not short but also not real long. I have a Rukus LA and a 30" Bartlein barrel.

I am very attracted to the potential benefits of the extended bipod and i understand the potential down sides mentioned in this thread.

Reactions: harry_x1
I never saw any negatives, definitely is more stable but it's not a gigantic difference or advantage. I just ended up going with a straight piece of square tubing cost me like $10.
IMG_6968.JPG

Speaking of pogo sticks 😂

IMG_3465.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3466.jpeg
    IMG_3466.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 28
I never saw any negatives, definitely is more stable but it's not a gigantic difference or advantage. I just ended up going with a straight piece of square tubing cost me like $10.
thanks for the inspiration....

After a lot of analysis, i realized that the concept is sound but not applicable in all situations. I am going to follow your lead in that i purchased a 3' 1.5"x1.5" square aluminum tube that i will trim to size. On the front, i am going to mount a long Arca Rail and on the back, i will attach to the bottom of the fore-end of my stock as it has 6 connection points. In the end, this is expected to be very very secure with absolutely NO flex.

The reason for the Arca Rail is so i can easily and quickly adjust the location of my bipod along the bipod mount extension.

I will provide pictures once the mounting is complete.

Reactions: Taylorbok

Taylorbok... check this out. My mount is pretty robust and very solid. Just about $30 worth of material for a proof of concept. If i like it, the next step is refining it will be to make it easier to mount and reduce some weight.

Shot once with it on my new 300 PRC and really like it so far.

Going to 800yds this weekend and will know more about real benefits... or not.

IMG_9378.jpeg

Taylorbok... check this out. My mount is pretty robust and very solid. Just about $30 worth of material for a proof of concept. If i like it, the next step is refining it will be to make it easier to mount and reduce some weight.

Shot once with it on my new 300 PRC and really like it so far.

Going to 800yds this weekend and will know more about real benefits... or not.
Why reduce the weight? unless it puts you over a weight limit? In my experience it's easier to shoot heavy guns well they just suck to carry.
You don't wanna put a brake on that rig?

This weekend is an F-Class match where I will be shooting in the F-Open category. I have a 22lb limit and suspect i am over that.

I do have a Gen 3 Fat Bastard muzzle break but cant shoot with it in F-Class. However, even shooting without the muzzle break, the recoil is very comfortable and smooth.

Reactions: Taylorbok