• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod and Mat recommendations for ELR

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi All,

For ELR matches (King of 1M, 2M, spearpoint etc), what are the preferred bipods that shooters use? I also see many shooters using a mat underneath the bipod.

Based on my research I am narrowing on Accutac bipods with ski feets, but there might be better alternatives.

I am in process of building two guns. One in 33xc (light) and one in 416 (heavy). Would like to spend my $ on one bipod that can hopefully work in both light and heavy divisions.

Any feedback/recos from experienced shooters in these kind of competitions is most welcome

Any recommendations on some kind of a mat that I see some shooters place beneath their bipods ?

I run the Accu-Tac HD-50 on my375ct and AI-PSR 338lm, Great very solid prone or off my shooting table. I looked at other bipods but went with Accu-Tac and never looked back. I also have their WB-4 and WB-5 models.
As for a shooting mat I got the Midway mat and its works fine for me.

Been doing a lot 2000 yards lately. Me and my buddy went through the following bipod

Atlas Super Cal
Accu tac FC-4 with spike
Accu tac HD50 with new ski feets

We both end up HD50 w/ ski feets

It does help stay in target sight after recoil. If you do your part is basic fundamentals. For me target sight only shift 2 mil to the left and rifle went straight back. (338nm , 33xc). I’m also using Ryan Cheney airfoil rear rest. Ryan is a very good ELR shooter and compete in most ELR event.

Last edited:
Been doing a lot 2000 yards lately. Me and my buddy went through the following bipod

Atlas Super Cal
Accu tac FC-4 with spike
Accu tac HD50 with new ski feets

We both end up HD50 w/ ski feets

It does help stay in target sight after recoil. If you do your part is basic fundamentals. For me target sight only shift 2 mil to the left and rifle went straight back. (338nm , 33xc). I’m also using Ryan Cheney airfoil rear rest. Ryan is a very good ELR shooter and compete in most ELR event.
did you try Phoenix Precision?

Reactions: harry_x1

I've planned to make my own bipod pad. I was gonna use 1/2" neoprene on the bottom so it can hopefully conform to imperfect ground then plywood layer, then some 1/8" neoprene and haven't decided on a top skid surface yet.

In some matches, I believe the bipod has to be of the folding variety. That’s the reason for this post. My Sinclair wouldn’t be legal and I’d like a wider stance than my Atlas.

Reactions: harry_x1
bipods need to fold.
and adjustment must be each leg individual
The bipod rules are out of control. Not sure why. IMO if you can attach it to the rifle and carry it you should be able to run it.

Reactions: secondofangle2
bipods need to fold.
and adjustment must be each leg individual
The bipod rules are out of control. Not sure why. IMO if you can attach it to the rifle and carry it you should be able to run it.
probably because there's always some clown who brings a Ma Deuce support for his and ruins it for everybody else

probably because there's always some clown who brings a Ma Deuce support for his and ruins it for everybody else
I understand your point but there is a 40lbs weight restriction.
If I wanna shoot a 10 lbs rifle off 30 lbs bipods who cares?
IMO bipod is where people could actually make some nice advancements but they've essentially disallowed any progression in the area.

In that case, a weight restriction is a better solution than restricting folders. Or, perhaps separating a limited and open class.

^^Here's the rules.^^ Basically anything open aside from bipods, no one is going to intentionally limit themselves in this area.

Here is the bipod ruling, almost any other rule in the book warrants one line and then there is this>

• Bipod: The bipod can only be attached to the rifle at a single point, however, having it attached to an RRS/ARCA rail, or a BipodExT system (in each case that is mounted parallel to the bore) is allowed and can be moved during the course of fire. Bipod legs must be capable of folding or otherwise collapsing along the length of the gun. In the collapsed position, the bipod, and everything else on the rifle cannot exceed a width of 8 inches. The only mechanical elevation adjustment in the front portion of the rifle and bipod system must come from the independent movement of each of the bipod legs. (Note: This does not limit the use of a mono-pod located near the rear of the rifle). The leg can only be attached to the rest of the bipod (with the exception of springs designed for rapid deployment like on the Harris) at a single point. The folding or extending portions of the legs do not require tools to deploy/operate and if asked to demonstrate, the shooter must be able to deploy the bipod from the fully folded and collapsed position into the fully open position in under 10 seconds.
The bipod may only have two points of contact with the ground. The foot of the leg that comes in contact with the ground may not exceed 4 inches in width or length. The rifle and bipod must remain rigid when firing, there can be no recoil dampening or movement of the rifle in relation to the bipod in any way for the purpose of damping/reducing recoil. Nothing can be placed on top of the bipod/rifle to add additional weight/support. Common examples of these are sandbags and stakes. No sharp pointed bipods which will damage the blast sheet are permitted.
IMPORTANT: Unconventional designs are encouraged , but must be sent in for approval ahead of time. As with all the rules, any team seen to be attempting to bend the bipod rule will be disqualified.

IMO someone got beat by a guy with a better bipod and decided that should be illegal.

I understand your point but there is a 40lbs weight restriction.
If I wanna shoot a 10 lbs rifle off 30 lbs bipods who cares?
IMO bipod is where people could actually make some nice advancements but they've essentially disallowed any progression in the area.

^^Here's the rules.^^ Basically anything open aside from bipods, no one is going to intentionally limit themselves in this area.

Here is the bipod ruling, almost any other rule in the book warrants one line and then there is this>

• Bipod: The bipod can only be attached to the rifle at a single point, however, having it attached to an RRS/ARCA rail, or a BipodExT system (in each case that is mounted parallel to the bore) is allowed and can be moved during the course of fire. Bipod legs must be capable of folding or otherwise collapsing along the length of the gun. In the collapsed position, the bipod, and everything else on the rifle cannot exceed a width of 8 inches. The only mechanical elevation adjustment in the front portion of the rifle and bipod system must come from the independent movement of each of the bipod legs. (Note: This does not limit the use of a mono-pod located near the rear of the rifle). The leg can only be attached to the rest of the bipod (with the exception of springs designed for rapid deployment like on the Harris) at a single point. The folding or extending portions of the legs do not require tools to deploy/operate and if asked to demonstrate, the shooter must be able to deploy the bipod from the fully folded and collapsed position into the fully open position in under 10 seconds.
The bipod may only have two points of contact with the ground. The foot of the leg that comes in contact with the ground may not exceed 4 inches in width or length. The rifle and bipod must remain rigid when firing, there can be no recoil dampening or movement of the rifle in relation to the bipod in any way for the purpose of damping/reducing recoil. Nothing can be placed on top of the bipod/rifle to add additional weight/support. Common examples of these are sandbags and stakes. No sharp pointed bipods which will damage the blast sheet are permitted.
IMPORTANT: Unconventional designs are encouraged , but must be sent in for approval ahead of time. As with all the rules, any team seen to be attempting to bend the bipod rule will be disqualified.

IMO someone got beat by a guy with a better bipod and decided that should be illegal.

i find it a little humerous that you can’t attach a phoenix bipod but you can throw on a giant BipodEXT

Maybe they figure if you're so shameless as to be seen with a BipodEXT, it's worth it for the spectators to get a chuckle, so they allow it

Maybe they figure if you're so shameless as to be seen with a BipodEXT, it's worth it for the spectators to get a chuckle, so they allow it
I'm going to build one of those also, I don't care if it looks goofy as long as it works. The principal makes sense.
Couple cheap arca clamps, some square tubing with a zig/zag in it and a small arca rail bolted on and I'll be off to the races. If it doesn't work I'll be into it for under $100

I'm going to build one of those also, I don't care if it looks goofy as long as it works. The principal makes sense.
Couple cheap arca clamps, some square tubing with a zig/zag in it and a small arca rail bolted on and I'll be off to the races. If it doesn't work I'll be into it for under $100

I'll preface this by saying I've yet to try one.

But it seems like with those systems you are definitely making a trade-off. Increasing longitudinal stability at the expense of vertical stability.

I'll reserve judgement until I have the opportunity to try one, but I'm definitely curious and somewhat skeptical of how much longitudinal stability you truly gain. There's definitely a point of diminishing returns.

Any recommendations on some kind of a mat that I see some shooters place beneath their bipods ?
Some of the Mark and Sam After Work videos discuss mats and how "he" prefers to use them.

Reactions: AlanX
Yes I watched this it makes sense. He is good guy!

I bought all the materials to build what I wanted in a mat
I had gone away from the wood idea, realized it needs to be able to contour to uneven ground.
This mat caught my eye at Home Depot and it's working perfectly with the Ski Feet from Accutac.
I haven't gotten to take it out to distance yet but putting down some really nice groups at 100.
Its a pretty heavy rubber/ foam and the center is like a woven synthetic material that allows the feet to slide freely.
I will also say the ski feet completely change how the rifle handles it's gonna take some getting used to, I'm so accustomed to shouldering into the bipod
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ho...-39-inch-ergo-comfort-mat-in-black/1000842866
IMG_6432.jpg

IMG_6431.jpg

Reactions: lash