• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Bipod or Tripod ?

SFree

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2005
USA
Bipod or tripod?
I don’t normally get involved in surveys or “whadaya think “ questions, but here’s what I have. AIAT dropped into an ATX chassis and I need to replace my 30 year old Harris. Probably a Ckye or TBAC bipod, but I’m thinking about keeping the relic for a while longer and jumping into a tripod. Shoot on the farm for predators and such, no matches as of yet. Hills and woods, but long open “lanes” to set up on.
Edumacate me…

I have an atlas cal bipod and PVA Comp 40 with RRS anvil. Use both a lot for hunting. The tripod can do everything and then some as the bipod. So I say get a good tripod first if your use is primarily hunting

I use mine for crop damage. AIAT
IMG_5685.jpeg

If I could only pick one? Tripod.

Caveat to the query…
Within an hour I had situations where I could have shot from a tripod (rifle resting on bag on tree limb), then moving back to the house, ambushed a deer by lying prone with bipod… Scenarios change quickly, it seems, around our place…. Also, springs are worn out on the Harris. My huntin’ rifle is my ATX

Caveat to my comments: they’re different tools for different jobs and you will use both.

Reactions: BPGuru
I have an atlas cal bipod and PVA Comp 40 with RRS anvil. Use both a lot for hunting. The tripod can do everything and then some as the bipod. So I say get a good tripod first if your use is primarily hunting

I use mine for crop damage. AIAT
View attachment 8282188
You can use it as a low bipod provided you have the space. I use both as each has its place. I know you do as well.

Not sure why you wouldn't have both?

A bipod is usually a standard part of the kit. Tripods come later

NikH,
Tripod in the low is great if you have the time and concealment. All comments have merit and much appreciated! I may be old, but I still understand that the best experience is usually someone else’s.Gotta make a decision before Black Friday sales end…

NikH,
Tripod in the low is great if you have the time and concealment. All comments have merit and much appreciated! I may be old, but I still understand that the best experience is usually someone else’s.Gotta make a decision before Black Friday sales end…
You already have a bipod. Get a tripod. Either Black Friday or from the px. Then get a bipod later. Lots of good deals in the px on those to. You’ll want both anyways

Once you have a good tripod, you will find that bipod use will be a lot less than before. In brushy areas, very rarely will you have a clear line of sight from ground level for bipod use. Bipods are good for square ranges, shooting from truck beds, or across vehicle hoods.

I have the RRS 33 with the Anvil. It utilizes 3 leg sections, so its a little more rigid than the 4 section ones. It doesn't take up as much real estate as the two section one when prone. For glassing, most prefer the taller height of the 4 section. The three section is plenty tall enough for shooting. Decisions, decisions!

Never shot an animal off a bipod, I always have my tripod hunting
I’m just the opposite, always from a bipod or natural support (rock, tree limbs in cedar trees ). Getting a tripod sounds like the plan since I don’t know what I’ve been missin… update the bipod later

I’m just the opposite, always from a bipod or natural support (rock, tree limbs in cedar trees ). Getting a tripod sounds like the plan since I don’t know what I’ve been missin… update the bipod later
Can’t shoot from something you don’t have.

Reactions: strikeeagle1
Bipod or tripod?
I don’t normally get involved in surveys or “whadaya think “ questions, but here’s what I have. AIAT dropped into an ATX chassis and I need to replace my 30 year old Harris. Probably a Ckye or TBAC bipod, but I’m thinking about keeping the relic for a while longer and jumping into a tripod. Shoot on the farm for predators and such, no matches as of yet. Hills and woods, but long open “lanes” to set up on.
Edumacate me…

For your purposes, I'd go with tripod. If you were shooting matches mostly, I'd upgrade the bipod first. But for field/hunting/everyday use, tripod 100%. I think you said your Harris is played out.....I'd just get another Harris since cheap and get the tripod as well.

The tricky part is which tripod. If you don't fly a lot in your travels, and don't need to have it packed away all the time while walking......the RRS competition tripod is extremely fast and very stable.

What’s your overall budget?

I don’t think it’s an either-or scenario. You can grab a blem Atlas CAL for about $200, and then grab a TFCT RRS setup. They have field grade 24L & 33 TFC legs for just under $900 and you could backorder an anvil 30. Mile High has some RRS setups in stock and is running a $150 off $1,500 sale.

Reactions: Nik H