• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up BIRMINGHAM AREA ROLL CALL!

Re: BIRMINGHAM AREA ROLL CALL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just found this thread. I shoot the silhouette match there every month, not a member though.
Myself and another hunter pistol guy are putting rifles together to join y'all for some long range shooting. We actually intended to come watch last month, but things came up.

I'll keep a check here and hopefully I/we can make it next month.

Barry </div></div>

PM me, you can shoot one of my rifles if you want. roll by somewhere and buy some .308 168FGMM and you can shoot my FN all you want, or all you can afford, whichever comes first.

Love to have ya Barry. We have plenty of rifles, just bring ammo. I'll keep posting on here days when I plan to go.

I've got other rifles to shoot, thanks fot the offers though. My schedule is the problem.
I'm thinking next Sat. I'll be able to come out and have a look at Larry's Match and get an idea of what I need.
Up at Magic City we only have 100m, so 500 is going to be a challenge.

Checking in from West Central Alabama, Demopolis area. There's another guy down here I'm gonna get to join up also. He's a PD armorer and TO. Shoots in Practical Marksman matches and getting into the benchrest game. Myself, I've always been limited to 100yd ranges. We've got some stuff here for small bore sil. shooting, and we are going to try to do some really informal sil. matches here this spring. I'm only 2 hours from Bham, and since my sis lives up there, I can make dual purpose trips so my wife has something to do
wink.gif

how would a improvised shooting position match do at Brock's Gap? Just kicking it around? Thoughts

blcouch, I can hook you up with a silhouette match of one variety or another every Sat. and 2 sundays a month. Most of it is up in Pinson(NE Jeff Co.)

I like the leasing idea, theres got to be somebody that knows a big land owner in central Al that would be willing to help us out. That way we could all get together and make our own rules and with everybody having some skin in the game things would run smooth. Id be willing to go in on a lease, Anybody else? It shouldnt be any different than what hunting clubs do, and we're covered up with those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RECKON SO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the leasing idea, theres got to be somebody that knows a big land owner in central Al that would be willing to help us out. That way we could all get together and make our own rules and with everybody having some skin in the game things would run smooth. Id be willing to go in on a lease, Anybody else? It shouldnt be any different than what hunting clubs do, and we're covered up with those. </div></div>

I am all for a 1k range here in AL preferably near Birmingham (slightly petrol biased). However I don't think it should be 20-30 guys pitching in a few grand because then you have 20-30 guys trying to run it. I would suggest 4-5 people getting together and raising funds such as donations, memberships, etc.

As for insurance, what kind of insurance do public ranges have? I know while at Auburn I'd shoot at Tuskeegee a fair amount and all I had to do was buy a day pass at a truck stop. There was probably a waiver on the back of the receipt but I don't remember now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bama110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how would a improvised shooting position match do at Brock's Gap? Just kicking it around? Thoughts </div></div>

ive been wanting to do one of these just as a training session. get some people, some steel at multiple ranges and go to work. pool collective knowledge and practice.

I heard on a morning radio show a while back "Brock&Don" they had a insurance guy in there talking about hunting club insurance and from the sound of it, it wasnt that bad. I didnt actually here any numbers but it was sort of like a liability policy and yeah there would deffinetly have to be waivers involved. If it was kept private or members only I figure it would make things easier, of course members could bring guests and such you just wouldnt have every yahoo that drove by out there messing stuff up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RECKON SO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it was kept private or members only I figure it would make things easier, of course members could bring guests and such you just wouldnt have every yahoo that drove by out there messing stuff up. </div></div>

I strongly agree. I shoot at the WMA in Helena. Those A-holes will take trash (laptops, appliances, plastic and glass bottles, whatever) and use them for targets and just leave them their down range. Really turns the place into a shithole. Granted, it is free and uncontrolled, but I think that members only with a guest would be best.

As far as insurance goes, I would hate to see it tied to the NRA. Their insurance might be good, but all range members MUST then be NRA members as well. And I don't like being forced to pay dues to an organization the endorses political candidates that I am opposed to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RECKON SO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard on a morning radio show a while back "Brock&Don" they had a insurance guy in there talking about hunting club insurance and from the sound of it, it wasnt that bad. I didnt actually here any numbers but it was sort of like a liability policy and yeah there would deffinetly have to be waivers involved. If it was kept private or members only I figure it would make things easier, of course members could bring guests and such you just wouldnt have every yahoo that drove by out there messing stuff up. </div></div>

Hunting Club Ins. runs between 15-25 cents per acre.

Anything ever come of this? I am down south in Dothan but could make the drive up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything ever come of this? I am down south in Dothan but could make the drive up.</div></div>
I am deployed right now but stationed at Fort Rucker in Enterprise.
When I get back I plan on attending as many shoots as possible.

We have a precision rifle match on the 2nd Saturday and an modified F-class match on the 3rd Saturday of month normally! Brocks Gap Monthly Matches
These matches are open to the public. Just sign the waiver and pay the match fee. Plenty of folks will help out new shooters there also, very friendly bunch of gun nuts. Speaking for myself of course.

I'm in bluff park, you a member at Steel City? We'll be going out here in a little while when my buddy Neeley's new GAP rifle comes in. It should be here this week.

I'm in Bluff Park too. I am not a member of Steel City but i would like to go there and shoot sometime. I have always gone to the FOP range at Pleasant Grove.

Screw that FOP range, it's junk. Get on the list at SC, I can take you out there to check it out

Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to shoot out at Owls Hollow range in armpit, I mean Gadsden alot, back when goodyear ran it and we could shoot 300yds. Which wasnt bad for 10mins out of town. Then some bunch of retards supposedly killed a guy in his car and burnt the car.... you guessed it right under the awning over the benches. The placed stayed trashed all the time anyhow. The states running it last time I was there and they fixed it up real nice but it only goes to 200yds I think now.

I agree on the NRA as well, The road to failure is paved with good intentions, or thats what Ive been told and they aint gittin anymore of my money with the company that they keep.

Thats kinda what I was gettin at with a "Hunting Club" cough,cough. If thats the way its labeled I figured it would be easier insurance wise and maybe just a little further under the radar, but again that would rely heavily on the "members" all being on the same page. I dont think we would need a gozillion acres to get 1000yds, and some sort of CQB setup. Has anybody studied what it would take to have that with enough impact area and what not?

I am new to this site and live in Bham. Am interested in creating 1000yd range. Possible land available in Bibb county and willing to work on any scenario discussed already. Anyone serious please contact me.

new to his site and new to precision shooting. i am from homewood but live near talladega now (been shooting at the 100 yard national forest range). If anyone gets together to shoot id love to go

Who in the Bham area has M1A tools? I need to swap a flash hider out ASAP!

Alabama guys,

I'm going to take the Vapor Trail Tac precision rifle one at the end of Jan. If any of you want to take the class you are welcome to ride with me and offset some of the costs.

Clay

I'm just getting into long range shooting here in Tuscaloosa.

I'm curious if anyone knows if it's legal to set up a target to shoot in talledega national forest. There's a nice long 2500m clearing next to power lines on national forest land and the 100 yard range is not nearly long enough.

Thanks!

The problem is not so much the National forest as it is the power companys property. that being said, I hunt in Talladega National Forest land that ajoins my parents property. Two thing, check with the power company and the local game warden and make sure you have a hunting liscense. It would suck to be accused of poaching anlong with tresspassing and shooting on a federal property. It shouldn't be a problem IMHO. Bt what the hell do I know anyway. lol

I have the wildlife license, or whatever the bare minimum license you can buy to not have to pay $3 every time you go to the range.

I'll make some calls. Thanks for the reply!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slbarr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious if anyone knows if it's legal to set up a target to shoot in talledega national forest. </div></div>

I've wondered this also. Im just minutes from the national forest on the Selma end & there are a few places that would make for some good shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter Sterling</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anybody in bham got a manners t4 or t5 i could check out before I buy one </div></div>

I have a T4 ... Im down in Selma & shoot in Hoover some.

I am a beginner but would certainly be interested. I am in the huntsville area. I am very handy at layout, heavy equipment operation, and building things. I have plenty of construction tools and a Generator
smile.gif

When it opens back up after duck season, I shoot at Swan Creek WMA early in the morning, super hot, and rainy days when there is less people. Advantages are that its free and open 7 days a week. Disadvantages are crowds of people, trash, and limited to 100yd's.

Let me know if you need help building a range.

Whats up Alabamians? Just trying to let everybody know that PMG is teaching a precision rifle training class in Hoover, AL. All registrations have to be in by 5/1/12. Just wanted to make sure you guys dont miss the opportunity, these guys are first rate and some of the best out there to learn from. No matter what your skill level may be you will leave a more skillful shooter. You dont want to miss this. Here is the link to registration form and info:

http://www.precisionmultigun.com/B-Ham_Class.1.pdf