• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Black Bear...Lapua'ed..

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana
bear2011021.jpg

Shot this six footer on May 19th, at 570 meters with my GAP .338LM, 250gr scenar.

Re: Black Bear...Lapua'ed..

VERY nice PGS, I always enjoy your pics. Thank you Sir!

Pat nice job on a good bear,great shot.Got a spot for one more guy for grizzly up in the Brooks this fall.Let me know,waggs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: waggs4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pat nice job on a good bear,great shot.Got a spot for one more guy for grizzly up in the Brooks this fall.Let me know,waggs </div></div>

Damn bro, you are really tempting me!.....PM me some details if you would. Thanks!

Awesome Pat, great bear my fiend! I'm gonna have to get one with you one of these days!

Really surprised that Scenar brought him down.......Laffin'

really nice Trophy. Thanks for sharing the picture. I want to stick with the 250 Scenar as well for hunting. I know you have had several successful hunts with them

regards
AJ

Scott, Thanks! It looks like the first week in June...I'll have the sowshoes along!....grin.

Thanks Dave....I drove right by your shop yesterday, but I had to hit the road. I'll stop and say hello one of these days..360 miles from Bozeman to Glasgow....grin!

Question from a non hunter. (San Diego is not Montana) What do you do with him after the shot? Is bear very edible? Do you just skin it for a mount or rug? Thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question from a non hunter. (San Diego is not Montana) What do you do with him after the shot? Is bear very edible? Do you just skin it for a mount or rug? Thanks in advance. </div></div>

I have it made into sausage. In Montana a black bear hunter is required to utilize the meat as long as it doesnt test positive for trichinosis. When we check in bears for harvest data, the game department takes a small meat sample to test. Within a few days they notify you on the test results. They also remove a pre molar tooth to age the bear. About a year later they mail out a card letting the hunter know the age of the bear taken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't mean to bug you but isn't trichinosis from pork? </div></div>

It is...bears carry it as well. The meat should be completly cooked through like pork and chicken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What pack is that you are using in the back ground? Nice Bear </div></div>

That pack is my buddy's Eberlestock...I'm not sure what model it is. I carry a Mystery Ranch Longbow.

Very Nice!! Those Scenars are racking up quite an impressive track record!

Nice!

as posted above, I bet many would like to know what that scenar track record is... jus' sayin'

Any hint as to where about in big sky country that bruin got lapua'ed ?

It appears as though your bear is leaking antifreeze...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nice!

as posted above, I bet many would like to know what that scenar track record is... jus' sayin'

Any hint as to where about in big sky country that bruin got lapua'ed ? </div></div>

In the mountainous part......grin!

So that rifle does get out of the gunsafe once in awhile. I know someone else who got a twin to that...wonder who?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nice!

Any hint as to where about in big sky country that bruin got lapua'ed ? </div></div>

In the mountainous part......grin! </div></div>

I wondered why I hadn't seen any runnin' with speed goats...

Pat great looking bear! Glad to see you out putting the hurt on things with the 338! I bet there was more snow up there than normal, at least thats the case around here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nice!

In the mountainous part......grin! </div></div>

I wondered why I hadn't seen any runnin' with speed goats... </div></div>

shhhh... they are hiding in the sagebrush
wink.gif

I am pretty sure Pat hunts just north of Notellum Creek. It is south of the north pass on the west side of the road. He mainly hunts the east drainage unless the bears are on the south side.

Glad to see you took the 'light weight' mountain rifle! How many pine cones, turkeys, etc. you knock out of the trees when you cut loose with that thing??? That concussion must be fierce!

Good job!! Lots of fun carting it out, no doubt. Hopefully no flooding stream to ford this year.

Thanks Matt! It was'nt too bad...I did have my ear plugs in!

Water everywhere up here...8" of rain this month.