• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft Black hole disease

FosterEDC

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
Okay guys, I'm new here and generally new to the world of field craft. That being said I have my mind wrapped around a lot of the techniques, but I'm curious about hiding my scope. I saw on top sniper that they made a "birds nest" by stuffing grass in the sun shade of a marksmans scope, but how practical is that? Are there other options other than a lens cover? Pics would be great because I'm more of a learn by seeing and doing as opposed to reading. Thanks in advance guys.

+1 on drilling/cutting the scope cap. An ARD inside a sunshade isn't a bad idea either, and you can use that and the drilled cap. I liked to pull material/netting with local vegetation from the veil to over and beyond the the top of the scope too. But situation dictates what you can and can't do, so it's good to have a lot of different ideas in the toolbox, including field expedient ones. The birdsnest being one of them.

Just a few days ago at training I had to make a field expedient scope cover. Took a piece of jute twine from my ghillie and tied it around my scope and proceeded to cram local veg into it. It broke up the outline enough as we got a perfect score on that stalk.
I usually have the tactical sock cover. Its a 4" section of sock spray painted brown I just slide over my scope and the cut end is ragged so it breaks up the outline nice.
Also if you don't want to cut or drill your scope caps I have seen people use a spray paint cap cut. They carry into position and then swap the scope cap for the paint can top and viola. Keeps your lens protected while stalking and if you break the paint can top it is cheap to replace.