• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Blast cabinet recommendations?

komishe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2012
California , Wheeeeee!
I was fed up with my Harbor Freight cabinet many guns ago. It will not be missed.

I was checking out this setup http://www.tptools.com/960-T-Pro-Trig-Blast-Sandblasting-Cabinet,2709.html?b=d*8015

I definitely want something that is going to last, and do the job well. I only work on my own stuff and do favors for friends, so I'm not too sure I want to take the plunge on a snap-on for nearly double the cost......All I really need is something large enough for long barreled actions that won't leak toxic ass A.O. all over my garage.

Any input on this or any other unit would be greatly appreciated.

Badboy makes nice cabinets .

I have a HF blaster and its been a good cabinet with a couple minor mods. RTV silicone all internal seams and bolts. Use a vacuum system to reduce media from seeping out in use. The biggest improvement was the skat blast gun and nozzles set. A real blast gun made a WORLD of difference.

Buy or build a good dust separator for any cabinet you are running.

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory.asp?CatId={6EE79B16-EB63-43E7-8F30-1E06240A24A4}

I've had a grizzly cabinet for almost 2 years. Its the big one they sell. For the price there's a lot of bang for the buck. There have been some changes that I've made.

1. Ditch the gun that comes with it and buy one setup to accept carbide nozzles.
2. Have a calking gun on standbye during assembly.
3. The linkages on the doors crapped out about 4 mos ago. The screws are just too small. We were able to modify the parts with bigger hardware. No issues since then.
4. The gloves wore through pretty quick, again I've been able to replace them with ones that are heavier and have a longer reach.

The large work envelope is nice, the lighting is good, and I've been pleased overall.

Check out your. Local glass shop and have spare windows cut. We go through one every couple months. Its about 20 bucks to replace it.

Hope this helps.

C.

The 960 is what I have and it has served me well for many years. The only difference is I use the footpedal and
I added and extra light inside the cabinet. It is a Very good unit.
The other thing I did was made a steel framework that the cabinet sit on which is equipped with caster so I can
move the cabinet around the shop. The dust collector also sit on the framework.
For really long items such as blasting driveshafts, I cut a piece of cardboard the size of the end door opening and
cut out a circle at the bottom for the driveshaft to extend out of, the seal up temporary with tape.
You will be surprised once you have your own cabinet how much you will use it.
Buy once, cry once.
TP has great customer service also.

Before you buy a Bad Boys, please take a look at the Grizzly in their catalog. You will find that the $1100.00 Bad Boy is the exact same size blaster as the Grizzly which sells for $799.00. The doors, latches, dimensions, shape in everyway, color, everthing is the same for less. Why didn't I buy the Grizzly??? Because I didn't know about it. If you have the money to buy the Bad Boy for $1100.00, then buy the Biggest Grizzly like Chad did.

Get the big commercial grizzly, when I bought mine way back grizzly didn't make the big one. You want as much work space as possible, its very nice for barreled actions. When putting it together buy good caulking, the cheap shit wont last and you will end up taking it apart and doing it again.

Kc

I highly recommend TP Tools.
Their cabinets are made in the U.S. and almost all of them arrive completely assembled. They are made from heavy materials, are totally sealed, have superior design and are made to be used everyday. When you compare pricing, they are not out of line with the imports, especially after you spend more on the imports to make them right after they arrive.

Another good thing about TP is that they carry everything you can think of to support the cabinet, guns and air supply system. Most of their guns, parts and supplies are made in US also. You will see auto shops with some of their systems that have been used daily for 20 years and they are excellent.

Thanks for the link Cal 50

I MacGyvered up something similar with a Dust collector off craig's list and a HEPA shop vac filter.

HF is just too small for my bigger projects. I've been thinking about adding an extension,and sealing,and adding a better blast gun and adding better lighting, and sealing the door better,and fixing it so changing media is easier, and I'm sure there's some stuff I forgot I need to upgrade........:rolleyes:

To anybody just reading, those cheap HF ceramic nozzles need to be checked frequently. When they start to fall apart, it shoots flying ninja blades that will cut very deep into soft aluminum. They will then be recycled into the media and Freddy Krueger your stuff.
I'm glad I learned this on my dad's Mossberg 500 that was a few more rust pits away from being scrapped.
It was a huge pain to change media in the HF benchtop.

Thanks Chad,

Very helpful indeed. It's always nice to hear from somebody with hands on experience and get a good assessment.

Keep up the great work, and thanks again for taking the time to answer everybody's questions.

A big fat Thank you to everyone taking the time to help, especially Terry.

Kinda leaning back towards the TP unit. I don't really feel like building anymore stuff.
I just want to get Cerakoting some bigger stuff ASAP.

Komishe Kan

Last edited:
A piece of window screen spaced about an inch from your blast window (Inside) will extend the life of it a LONG way.