• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Blasting Media

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
I've got a siphon feed blasting gun and a large compressor. Was thinking about getting some Black Daimond 60-80 grit media and blasting all the shitty duracoat off my rifles and re-coating them with Norrell's molly. I've never heard of anyone using Black Diamond on guns, Norrell's reccommends 70 grit media, would this not work? I'm not worried about recyclying the media either since it's only 7.99 for 50lbs. I already have a oven big enough to bake it on.

Re: Blasting Media

Get yourself some 120 grit aluminum oxide. I get mine from Graingers. Make sure to wear a good respirator or dust mask.

I've used glass beads on my gun parts and barrels, does a great job and looks good to.

Lefty Lucas

Black Diamond is too aggressive. Glass beads if it's just paint to remove would suffice, but 120 Al oxide if there's rust, too, or a thermoset finish. Some M1 Garand refinishers use glass & Al oxide mixed to prep for re-parkerizing since it isn't too aggressive, but will still remove any rust without damaging markings. I believe the Duracoat may need something like Al oxide, but I've not removed Durakote...so please take what I say with a grain of salt (I do!
smile.gif
)

(Also note that Cerakote recommends 120 Al oxide for prep....I know you're not using it, but I thought I'd mention that for the sake of completeness)

I'd agree that the silicon carbide black diamond media is a bit too rough. I don't think they make a finer grit but if you could get it in 100-120 grit it would likely be fine. I've been using 100-120 grit aluminum oxide and it works fantastic. Glass beads will clean a surface off but aren't really what you want for a surface to have paint stick to. Beads don't rough up the surface enough, they create a surface that has less "bite" than the Aluminum oxide or silicon carbide. Norrell specifically warns against the use of glass beads and I think KG does as well. Beads give a very nice matte finish that looks nice on its own but doesn't give the paint a good surface to stick to.

Frank