• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bolt action "pistol" with brace?...

PlinkIt

GunNut ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2014
Virginia / North Carolina
Anyone have experience using a bolt action in a chassis that accepts AR buffer tubes to build a "pistol" from a bolt action?...

If so how'd that work out?...

You can’t build a pistol out of an existing rifle. A “pistol” has to start as one. You shorten the barrel on a rifle and you need a short barrel rifle stamp.

Although I wonder if a custom bolt receiver is designated as rifle at its inception before its a bare action or if just never assembled. Maybe that’s how the rem xp100 gets by with it, it’s a pistol before it becomes an action.

You can’t build a pistol out of an existing rifle. A “pistol” has to start as one. You shorten the barrel on a rifle and you need a short barrel rifle stamp.

Although I wonder if a custom bolt receiver is designated as rifle at its inception before its a bare action or if just never assembled. Maybe that’s how the rem xp100 gets by with it, it’s a pistol before it becomes an action.

a virgin action should be a "firearm" legally......

once it is put into a stock it becomes a "rifle".....

no reason you couldnt build one legally as a "pistol" .......just like an AR15

Ok, I just wasn’t sure about protocols on stuff like that. The manufacturers can do whatever they want with any action until it’s outfitted with a barrel and stock. There’s no prior designation that goes on.

I just saw a picture of one the other day and I'm trying to remember where. I think it was on the GearHead works instagram page? Go look there.

As I understand it, the action is classified as a rifle or pistol at the time of registration/purchase. Once classified as one or the other, it has to remain in that class.

Reactions: spife7980
Hmmm...perhaps because I'm behind enemy lines (California), it is different here...

I’m in Virginia and as long as I buy a receiver (or a barreled action I believe, I’ll have to verify that one) It will be a receiver not a rifle

We do the same with AR lowers frequently here, no issue with the classifications

^ I would assume a barreled action (typ rifle w/o stock) is going to be considered "long gun". Just my uneducated opinion.

As I understand it, the action is classified as a rifle or pistol at the time of registration/purchase. Once classified as one or the other, it has to remain in that class.

On a 4473 a virgin receiver is an Other.
Besides, federal law states that a pistol can become a rifle, but not the other way around.
Kali might do things differently though. IDK

It can never have been registered as a rifle, ARs are usually “undesignated” so they can go back and forth. A custom action new and register it as a pistol will be legal to build either rifle or pistol so you are ok there. I built an XP100pistol using a Stiller action. I confirmed the process before buying anything.

On a 4473 a virgin receiver is an Other.
Besides, federal law states that a pistol can become a rifle, but not the other way around.
Kali might do things differently though. IDK

The description as Bakwa stated is how i have understood it.

I've thought about this before, it would be awesome!! How about using a Howa Mini Action to make it even shorter?

Pending on your state laws this may vary but you may switch from pistol to rifle to pistol. For the one person who chimed in from Cali. You have SSE rules to make one. You also can dros it as PPT. But you can't turn your rifle into a pistol.
You can go down the road of AOW but that's yet another different story.

This is something that is controlled by both federal and state laws so your location will have some bearing on what you can and cannot do. Make sure you also know what your state laws dictates regarding building a gun from a bare receiver as well as transitions between pistol to rifle.

DOA not correct. Cali handgun roster is not applicable for SSE in California

I know. My link stated that on top of page. I merely posted the link as a reference to CA gun website where he can get specific laws for CA. Not that SSE was still available.

Just out of curiosity, what do you plan on using this for? I have seen a few SBR bolt guns lately but no pistols yet.

I would use it for prairie dogs, rabbits, coyotes, antelope, hogs, whitetail, turkey, plinking, and in general as a truck gun in case of an opportunity.

I live in the middle of nowhere, and drive a lot of two-tracks. Consequently, I shoot out of a vehicle a lot.

I also do a lot of driving and hiking with a rifle, the shorter it is, the easier it is to take with me.

If it weren't for unconstitutional laws, I would definitely have a suppressed 11.5" 223 bolt rifle, and I suspect it would go with me more often than most of my other rifles. Somebody on here had one they were showing off a long time ago, it was WAY sexy!

Last edited:
I can see where it would come in handy in your situation. I have seen them in 223 and 300 Black Out, but they have all been in flowing chassis' I have never seen one with a pistol brace.